• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - Graphics Comparison - PC Preview

We are now six minutes overdue.

O9nAGur.jpg

Downgrade confirmed, thanks Obama, etc.

lol. THANKS OBAMA.

Durante

Well, I don't know any more than you do. I was told that 10 am PST was the target for the article, so I guess it just missed the target :p (hopefully slightly).

Feindflug

Totally agree with you: Lighting is a top priority. The washed out look of more than half of the game kills all the immersion. Couple that with locations that rival a mid/low-budget PS2 (sometimes PS1) game + the use of N64 fog effects and you're left with a visual disaster.

There's no way DSII is touching visually a PS2 game...PS1 comparisons is already pushing it, there are lots of low budget PS1 (& Saturn) games that look much better than DSII. N64 games look like a generational leap better even though DSII has (thank god) N64 quality fog. The game visually is more comparable to a 3D polygonal SNES game even though games like Stunt Race FX clearly gives DSII a run for it's money in lighting and immersion/atmosphere.

If I had to describe how the game looks I'd say that it's like a 16bit era 3D game with N64 quality fog in some places, I'm wondering if From did that on purpose for nostalgia reasons and all.

Abdozer

Noticed he didn't really talk about the mouse/KB controls too much like he did for the other video options, any reason? Just wondering.

So judging from the article, it's a very well done PC port with the only issue being that only FXAA is offered as the anti aliasing ( which I guess in the greater scheme of things, isn't too bad ).

Curious to see how moddable the game is because everyone knows if it is, we'll be seeing High-res texture packs within days.

nbthedude

This is the biggest load of nonsense that I've read with regards to the glaring instances of Dark Souls II's visual downgrade. I've played through the campaign twice now and there are many examples where it's extremely apparent they just cut back on effects or environmental dressing in order to get the framerate running at a relatively smooth pace for ageing consoles and not due to an artistic change-of-mind.

That's all fine. I was talking about that specific gif. In that particular case there is clearly more that was changed than just a downgrading of effects. My point was only that the changes clearly entail a complex combination of graphical effects downgrades and changes in art direction, tone and mood. It's not as simple as "turn the lighting back on."

I don't get most of what's written in the article because I'm stupid, but basically having those HQ files means there might be high quality models hidden somewhere or something?

So happy to hear there isn't a single frame drop even at 1440p.

Load times being 3-4 seconds are also a Godsend. They're one of my biggest gripes so far considering all the warping between bonfires DS2 has

Durante

I don't get most of what's written in the article because I'm stupid, but basically having those HQ files means there might be high quality models hidden somewhere or something?
No. It does very strongly indicate that there is a significant amount of higher quality assets, but I could only confirm HQ textures in my comparisons so far. And many textures being ~4 times the size could already account for the total game data increasing by ~ factor 2.

Swarna

Noticed he didn't really talk about the mouse/KB controls too much like he did for the other video options, any reason? Just wondering.

I don't know, maybe because it was just a technical report? But yeah, I'd really like to know a few things like whether or not we can we strafe while playing unlocked or have our character rotate as we move the camera.

nbthedude

No. It does very strongly indicate that there is a significant amount of higher quality assets, but I could only confirm HQ textures in my comparisons so far. And many textures being ~4 times the size could already account for the total game data increasing by ~ factor 2.

Hopefully you'll cover how to downscale the game. I've never messed with downscaling before but this article gives me confidence that my i7 4770k and Geforce 780 could probably handle it just fine. I'd like to know how to configure the game for downscaling.

Grief.exe

Hopefully you'll cover how to downscale the game. I've never messed with downscaling before but this article gives me confidence that my i7 4770k and Geforce 780 could probably handle it just fine. I'd like to know how to configure the game for downscaling.

Research it yourself. There are threads on Neogaf that detail the process.

Check out this thread for more details on how to downsample. If you're not used to the technical side of games, it can seem a little daunting, but you certainly have the hardware to cover it.

nbthedude

I very much doubt Durante's article is going to go into downsampling as it differs by manufacturer and technically could leave PC Gamer open to lawsuit.

So research it yourself, it's not difficult.

Check out this thread for more details on how to downsample. If you're not used to the technical side of games, it can seem a little daunting, but you certainly have the hardware to cover it.

See, I looked at that thread and the same thing happened the last time I did. That's a ton of variable shit to go through. I"m hoping for something tailored to Dark Souls 2 specifically.

In Dark Souls 1 all I had to do was change the resolution in the .ini in Durante's mod. Not having that option anymore is probably the biggest bummer here.

See, I looked at that thread and the same thing happened the last time I did. That's a ton of variable shit to go through. I"m hoping for something tailored to Dark Souls 2 specifically.

In Dark Souls 1 all I had to do was change the resolution in the .ini in Durante's mod. Not having that option anymore is probably the biggest bummer here.

Same here.

I wish he released a DSFix 2 with maybe only that and Texture dumping/loading.

If you think downsampling is hard with nVidia, you have no idea the shit you have to go through with AMD cards.

Durante's DSFix worked on any video card and it took a second to test different resolutions.

Grief.exe

You can't tailor something to Dark Souls 2 as it is a universal implementation based on your monitor's characteristics.

Durante created a specific mod with software based downsampling for DS1, he won't be doing the same for the sequel.

It is very simple, and doesn't take long. Once you have completed the calculations, then you are set and don't need to do it again.

If you think downsampling is hard with nVidia, you have no idea the shit you have to go through with AMD cards.

AMD actually has an easy implementation now, it used to be difficult.

You can't tailor something to Dark Souls 2 as it is a universal implementation based on your monitor's characteristics.

Durante created a specific mod with software based downsampling for DS1, he won't be doing the same for the sequel.

It is very simple, and doesn't take long. Once you have completed the calculations, then you are set and don't need to do it again.

Really, can you link me to it, please .

My biggest issue is that I have 3 Screens that I use for triple screen gaming and the previous solution required me to install weird drivers for each monitor and hope for the best, DSFix 1 it was as easy as setting the resolution to a triple scren downsampled resolution and it worked.

creyas

Awesome to hear about if being so easy to run. Looks like i'll be very comfortable with my 7970 GHz at only 1080p. Not too bummed/surprised about only getting FXAA, DkS doesn't have any real small text in the UI so just injecting SMAA isn't as bad as it usually is.

NQHKSVE.gif

I do. :(
Was indeed sweet in 1 though.

Orayn

Wait, when did it become easy for AMD? The last working method I heard of still required you to wipe your drivers, install an older version, add new resolutions with the tool, then upgrade your drivers again and pray that nothing breaks. AMD said they were working on adding support like Nvidia's, but we haven't had any updates on that in a while.

Top Bottom