• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Can't wait to transfer my Xbox 360 save character to my Xbox 1, just like I did in Diablo 3 and destiny. I know the from software company isn't dumb and is allowing us to transfer our characters we worked hard on

U get 2 work hard on new characters now :]

Had a great moment today messing around in NG+. At 2nd bonfire in Drangleic just about to head to boss room after completing the elevator part and clearing the area for the first time, when all the sudden a red invades.

Now I'm stoked. For whatever reason it's been a fair while since I got invaded, probably back since one of the DLCs on this guy. So I buff myself up, and go looking for him

As soon as I round the corner near the elevator he round at the same time, and we literally bump into each others faces. My "OH SHIT" reaction is to immediately heavy attack stab (using Chaos bade). He smartly jumps back, and throws up his shield and blocks it. Unfortunately for him, the elevator is up at the moment (stepped on it heading back to the fire to re-estus) and the knock back puts him right over the edge down the pit.

Whole thing happened in about 10 seconds from invade to him dead, and made my day.

2AdEPT

U get 2 work hard on new characters now :]

THere's no greater joy than starting a new character. It would be best if it was midnight on release day for a new game, but the fun of doing a new playthrough with an old game is recalling the old character's struggles in early game, just blasting through this time with your superior skills in tow, sspeedrunning, breaking sequences as much as possible, and generally strategizing which equipment and bosses do I need in order to do X most efficiently....its a whole new game.

Ars Technica got around to updating their Steam Gauge statistics for anyone who is interested.

Their methodology has a 10% +/- margin for error.

Dark Souls 2 appears to have sold 964K copies on Steam. Not too shabby.

Edit: Another interesting statistic. It ranked #17 overall in sales for games released in calendar year 2014, but it was #2 in hours played for games released in 2014. It certainly has great replayability and staying power.

GulAtiCa

If you guys want more invasions, become a sinner. Join the dark side!

I had 4 invaders last 2 days.
  1. Waited for a guy to invade me in Forest of the Giants so I can troll him. He ended up going a backstab against me while I was trying to poison him. But did like 20% max, if even that.. Very sad. Guy must of been very low powered, cause I wear very low defense stuff. Even using Looking Glass Knight shield & armor stuff. Guy needs to upgrade his weapon apparently. I made quick work of him.
  2. While in Earthen Peak had a red invader who invaded me. I was in that secret room where you get the poisonbite ring. I had on my butterfly chest armor, so guy ended up just rollowing around me like a mad man.. Killed her off quickly.
  3. Had a Arbiter Spirit invade me a little later in same area before the Queen boss. This one was a good fight. He ended up killing me before I killed him. Used Chaos Storm/etc and I didn't get out of the way quickly enough. I liked this match.
  4. I went back to No Man's Wharf to take care of some things since I didn't clear it out yet in NG+. And a invader came right when I was on the ship facing one of those NG+ red guys. Instead of facing both, I ran for it and was expecting him to follow. But... Guy stayed behind. For like 4 minutes guy stayed there. So I left, went up to where you ring the bell and just fired arrows at him. He eventually left but never found me, went the opposite direction to beginning of area. So made my way for the boss again and went in and made him leave. Prob was annoyed that I got ahead of him. :lol

Neoweee

Ars Technica got around to updating their Steam Gauge statistics for anyone who is interested.

Edit: Another interesting statistic. It ranked #17 overall in sales for games released in calendar year 2014, but it was #2 in hours played for games released in 2014. It certainly has great replayability and staying power.

Yup. The 2nd and 3rd (and NG+ playthroughs) were what cemented it as my favorite in the series. It's not perfectly balanced by any means, but as a single-player RPG, the divide between different builds is the smallest in the series, hands down. I loved the new weight mechanics for actually encouraging me to experiment with different armor sets continually. Sword-and-board, Hard Mode Sorcerer/Hexer, and NG->NG+ Lightweight two-handing rapiers dex build were almost all equally "fun". No Drake Swords, no Iron Flesh, no Crescent Falchions, no terrain exploits to cheese bosses, just wheeling and dealing with your stats and gear to be the best build you can. On all 4 playthroughs I did a different wing of the game "first", and boss fights like the Skeleton Lords and Congregation were actually really fun if you're doing them as your 2nd, 3rd, 4th bosses, etc.

I played the game for three weeks solid, and sold the game for about $5 less than I paid for it. Looking forward to Scholar of the First Sin almost as much as Bloodborne since I haven't played the DLC and like the look of all the level changes.

Bloodborne will be awesome, but I think plenty of people will appreciate the build-variety (and likely length) of DS2:SotFS.

Those stats are really impressive. Of people that have played Dark Souls 2, the average numbers of hours played is over 70. Holy fuck.

GulAtiCa

This is my current gear for my Pyro/Sword character. I look bizarre. lol

1CEv2o.jpeg

I rock a duel stance Fire Black Dragon Sword +10 & Poison Varangian Sword + 10.

King's Crown: Adds 3 points to INT & FTH so increases my Pyro.
Moonlight Butterfly Chest: Poisons nearby people and allows me to jump farther/easier.
Penal Handcuffs: Increases Pyro Power
Flower Skirt: +2 VGR +1 END

As for Rings: 3rd Dragon Ring & Flynn's Ring (I get 49 extra power from 60.2 equip load) are always on. Life Ring +2 is mostly on, but I can substitute it when needed. And for last ring is up to what is needed. but currently in NG+ I mostly use Silver Serpent Ring +2 so I can gain souls quickly.

I have now placed over 50 hours in this character and like lv 210.

Mistel

Banned
As for Rings: 3rd Dragon Ring & Flynn's Ring (I get 49 extra power from 60.2 equip load)
You should be getting 50 as you're below the threshold where it deducts AR. And you do look bizarre in that outfit and it doesn't match at all, you might want to swap the vargarian sword for a drakekeeper sword.

GulAtiCa

You should be getting 50 as you're below the threshold where it deducts AR. And you do look bizarre in that outfit and it doesn't match at all, you might want to swap the vargarian sword for a drakekeeper sword.

Nope, apparently You have to be 60.0 or below. Since I'm only 60.2 I get 1 less point. Good enough. I went with the Moonlight Butterfly Set, as makes me fit in a little better. lol

Is there a good reason to switch to Drakekeeper Sword? I see it does like 5 ATK less then vargarian sword. It does have much better durability and that would be beneficial. But does weight 1 lb more, which would be an issue for staying under 50%.

Mistel

Banned
Nope, apparently You have to be 60.0 or below. Since I'm only 60.2 I get 1 less point. Good enough. I went with the Moonlight Butterfly Set, as makes me fit in a little better. lol

Is there a good reason to switch to Drakekeeper Sword? I see it does like 5 ATK less then vargarian sword. It does have much better durability and that would be beneficial. But does weight 1 lb more, which would be an issue for staying under 50%.
Yes it does but it's a bit finicky what it decides to do with it some well get the full amount others done. It's not really fool proof though some it just gives 49 bonus instead. Wikidot says that you can go up to 60.5 but that's likely not universal.

As for drakekeepers sword it's a lot bigger its the largest not extending sword it's a smidge smaller than a bastard sword. Its a really big broadsword basically its a bit weaker than a vargarian sword but it makes up for that via better range.

is it worth infusing weapons or should I keep using resins?

Resins are better since it doesnt affects your weapons base damage but if you want infusions you need to put some stats to buff the infusion. Lightning requires faith, fire requires int/faith, dark requires int/faith, magic requires int and mundane buff according to your lowest stat.

GulAtiCa

Ahh. Range. That would be handy. Ok, I'll try it out. As it happens, I do happen to have one on me. I'll have to fully upgrade it and then infuse it (either Fire or Poison). Prob Fire as I prefer that as does more damage, I'll keep the Vargarian Sword infused as Poison for when I get invaded or so.

Infusing is worth it as long as you have a good bit of stats in INT and/or FTH. I also use Flame Weapon, so increases the damage even more.

Tarkus

is it worth infusing weapons or should I keep using resins?
Why not both? Quality scaling weapons are great with infusions. The Claymore, for example, is better infused.

Hell, even a DEX weapon like the Partizan is better infused rather than uninfused.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Those are great sales numbers. Love it.

This is my current gear for my Pyro/Sword character. I look bizarre. lol

1CEv2o.jpeg

I rock a duel stance Fire Black Dragon Sword +10 & Poison Varangian Sword + 10.

King's Crown: Adds 3 points to INT & FTH so increases my Pyro.
Moonlight Butterfly Chest: Poisons nearby people and allows me to jump farther/easier.
Penal Handcuffs: Increases Pyro Power
Flower Skirt: +2 VGR +1 END

As for Rings: 3rd Dragon Ring & Flynn's Ring (I get 49 extra power from 60.2 equip load) are always on. Life Ring +2 is mostly on, but I can substitute it when needed. And for last ring is up to what is needed. but currently in NG+ I mostly use Silver Serpent Ring +2 so I can gain souls quickly.

I have now placed over 50 hours in this character and like lv 210.

Looks dope.

Tarkus

Split damage isn't the best though can often be a hindrance.
I have roughly 10 people that I often get into fight clubs with. After lightning infusion on my primary and secondary weapons, I'm definitely doing more damage. In general, my winning percentage is up to at least 75% now on the bridge. A little less in the arenas.

Aren't most armours that people use in PVP piss poor in lightning defense? Probably just a hindrance in PVE.

Mistel

Banned
I have roughly 10 people that I often get into fight clubs with. After lightning infusion on my primary and secondary weapons, I'm definitely doing more damage. In general, my winning percentage is up to at least 75% now on the bridge. A little less in the arenas.

Aren't most armours that people use in PVP piss poor in lightning defense? Probably just a hindrance in PVE.
That really doesn't pose much of a correlation at all, that's more likely a false positive than anything. As for armor that's far too a broad spectrum to ever figure out what the most popular combination is now, post farfire kicking the bucket.

2AdEPT

that's awesome...souls have sure come a long way.

Hah, I was hiding in a host's world with Silver Talismans and they used a seed on me. Since the latest patch Silver Talismans can trick enemies, so as long as I stayed still the enemies ignored me :D

Unfortunately the invasion was in Shulva and the host had to come to me as I could not go backwards. He summoned two NPC phantoms and then just waited out the invasion timer :(

GulAtiCa

Joined the Bell Keeper covenant so I can start getting Titanite Chunks so I can upgrade a bunch of my armor/weapons I've been meaning to. Nice way to refresh all my spells/healing items too.

I am now using Fire Drakekeeper Sword +10 in left hand. Range is pretty good. Even better that it's durability lasts a lot longer.

Also now at 6 million soul memory. Funny, was at like 3.5 when I entered NG+, I've gained souls quickly. Currently also at lv 221ish. Plan to level out STR/DEX to 40 (both currently at like 33) and get INT/FTH to 40 (both 31)

strafer

Joined the Bell Keeper covenant so I can start getting Titanite Chunks so I can upgrade a bunch of my armor/weapons I've been meaning to. Nice way to refresh all my spells/healing items too.

I am now using Fire Drakekeeper Sword +10 in left hand. Range is pretty good. Even better that it's durability lasts a lot longer.

Also now at 6 million soul memory. Funny, was at like 3.5 when I entered NG+, I've gained souls quickly. Currently also at lv 221ish. Plan to level out STR/DEX to 40 (both currently at like 33) and get INT/FTH to 40 (both 31)

Uhm, Chloanne in Majula sells an infinite amount of chunks.

GulAtiCa

Only after killing Nashandra, though. I don't think he's reached that point yet in his NG+ playthrough.
Yep. Not quite there yet.

That's why you stock up before going into NG+ :D
They are like 6k souls each. Since I can just use bell covenant to gain 1 and souls instead of spending them, seems like a better alt for right now.

Granted, 6k isn't that much when I normally come back with 200k in souls. lol

Tarkus

That really doesn't pose much of a correlation at all, that's more likely a false positive than anything. As for armor that's far too a broad spectrum to ever figure out what the most popular combination is now, post farfire kicking the bucket.
I've A/B'd them both for hours in PvP. It just depends on the opponent. Some are EXTREMELY weak to lightning; some are not. Infusion seems just a bit better with quality weapons from my experience. Either way, I'm at 90% wins. Please summon HardAttack123 if you're on PS3 and you can pose a challenge. 9 mln soul memory.

GulAtiCa

Did some PvP for bell towers tonight. There was this 1 guy in 2nd bell tower that decided ganking people is funny! So when I ever see any summon buddies, I leave. Prob wasn't pleased that I left his match like 3+ times and wasted his and his special buddy buddy time.

(If someone summons a co-op while I invade someone, I don't consider that ganking and don't actually try to leave. Only when it's quite obvious this is a ganking)

Tarkus

Did some PvP for bell towers tonight. There was this 1 guy in 2nd bell tower that decided ganking people is funny! So when I ever see any summon buddies, I leave. Prob wasn't pleased that I left his match like 3+ times and wasted his and his special buddy buddy time.

(If someone summons a co-op while I invade someone, I don't consider that ganking and don't actually try to leave. Only when it's quite obvious this is a ganking)
I use the black crystal all the time when I see gankers. I also write down their names so I can bail when they summon me the next time. Its usually the same players over and over again.

If I'm ranking up in a covenant, swapping covenants doesn't break the tally does it? I'm specifically working on Brotherhood of Blood, but am fancying another temporarily.

Quikies83

anyone on PC spare some titanite chunks? I'm level 48.
Also just hit Sinners Rise with a bonefire ascetic if anyone wants to jump in with me.

yah no

GulAtiCa

Man.. What is with the Arbiters being so weak.. I mean that in the sense of them doing a backstab on me and barely doing 20%. You guys seen my character above, it's very light armor. Yes it's fully upgraded, but still light. I mean the game's enemies do more damage then some of the backstabs I've received!

Starting to think some people haven't quite gotten the concept of upgrading their weapons or finding better ones yet. (I'm at 7 million soul memory, so these people have been playing for long enough that they aren't exactly new).

Speaking of bizarre Arbiters.. I was at area right before Freja's boss fight. The area with cobwebs & spiders. We ended up just staring at each other for a good bit of the fight across a gap. So I kept just waving at him. Finally guess he got annoyed and came around the other way.

I've seen some weird invaders lately.

Man.. What is with the Arbiters being so weak.. I mean that in the sense of them doing a backstab on me and barely doing 20%. You guys seen my character above, it's very light armor. Yes it's fully upgraded, but still light. I mean the game's enemies do more damage then some of the backstabs I've received!

Starting to think some people haven't quite gotten the concept of upgrading their weapons or finding better ones yet. (I'm at 7 million soul memory, so these people have been playing for long enough that they aren't exactly new).

Speaking of bizarre Arbiters.. I was at area right before Freja's boss fight. The area with cobwebs & spiders. We ended up just staring at each other for a good bit of the fight across a gap. So I kept just waving at him. Finally guess he got annoyed and came around the other way.

I've seen some weird invaders lately.

Backstabs got nerfed into the ground in a recent patch, so most weapons actually do more damage from two (or sometimes even one) R1 attacks.

gogosox82

Ok I have two questions guys. Where's the best spot to go for co op now a days (sl 214 and sm around 6 million)? Trying to get the sun sword and try it out.

Anyone who's ran a vanquisher seal build, what's the best build for one. Is 40/40 in str/dex good or should it be more a str focus with 50/30 or some other combination? Trying to do a vanquisher seal run in covenant of champions on a new character but obviously need the seal but was wondering how to build it after I need enough awestones (which I almost have already just need a few more).

Ok I have two questions guys. Where's the best spot to go for co op now a days (sl 214 and sm around 6 million)? Trying to get the sun sword and try it out.

Mostly in DLC bosses, in vanilla areas

Ancient dragron - Dragon Aerie bonfire
The Rotten - Black gultch
Iron King - Iron keep's boss fog door
Throne defenders/Nashandra/Aldia - Drangelic first bonfire or after the king doors

2AdEPT

Anyone who's ran a vanquisher seal build, what's the best build for one. Is 40/40 in str/dex good or should it be more a str focus with 50/30 or some other combination? Trying to do a vanquisher seal run in covenant of champions on a new character but obviously need the seal but was wondering how to build it after I need enough awestones (which I almost have already just need a few more).

Yes! I really enjoyed my Vanquisher's Seal run and ended up doing the whole DLC with Felly, my Seal character. You will notice that strength gives faster gains so start with str first. you will get diminishing returns eventually 40-50 so if you want to keep increasing you can raise your dex up at that point, unfortunately I did not test past about 50 STR and 35 Dex as I had enough attack power to rape bosses for no health loss challenge runs as it was. The returns were similar at that mix but since I thoughtit might be useful to have dex for a bow for DLC etc. I started putting them in there mostly after STR was seeing the drop off at 45-50. Not sure what you are going with now but dont forget youcan use the soul vessel in Betwixt. That's what I did originally, as I used a an OP hex build to kill Rhoy 50 times, then once I got the seal I soul vesseled and put the magic and faith points into STR.

Of course, now that the DLC is out, the best way to start a fresh VS run and save the most bosses is to get bonfire ascetics from the DLC by killing only the Rotten. You have to kill the rat authority as well to use ascetics, but you can get all 50 stones offline killing Rhoy 49 times and then one other invader. I show in this video how to do all this and then complete the preparation by killing Jester Thomas with the heide knight sword +4.

Enjoy! (ps the stats worked out fine for using a certain fist weapon found in the 3rd DLC as well, but dont spoil that if you havent been there yet.)

gogosox82

Mostly in DLC bosses, in vanilla areas

Ancient dragron - Dragon Aerie bonfire
The Rotten - Black gultch
Iron King - Iron keep's boss fog door
Throne defenders/Nashandra/Aldia - Drangelic first bonfire or after the king doors

Thanks. Think I'll try the kings gate first and see how it goes. If not, I'll try the dlc bosses. Wouldn't mind fighting some of them again away.

Yes! I really enjoyed my Vanquisher's Seal run and ended up doing the whole DLC with Felly, my Seal character. You will notice that strength gives faster gains so start with str first. you will get diminishing returns eventually 40-50 so if you want to keep increasing you can raise your dex up at that point, unfortunately I did not test past about 50 STR and 35 Dex as I had enough attack power to rape bosses for no health loss challenge runs as it was. The returns were similar at that mix but since I thoughtit might be useful to have dex for a bow for DLC etc. I started putting them in there mostly after STR was seeing the drop off at 45-50. Not sure what you are going with now but dont forget youcan use the soul vessel in Betwixt. That's what I did originally, as I used a an OP hex build to kill Rhoy 50 times, then once I got the seal I soul vesseled and put the magic and faith points into STR.

Of course, now that the DLC is out, the best way to start a fresh VS run and save the most bosses is to get bonfire ascetics from the DLC by killing only the Rotten. You have to kill the rat authority as well to use ascetics, but you can get all 50 stones offline killing Rhoy 49 times and then one other invader. I show in this video how to do all this and then complete the preparation by killing Jester Thomas with the heide knight sword +4.

Enjoy! (ps the stats worked out fine for using a certain fist weapon found in the 3rd DLC as well, but dont spoil that if you havent been there yet.)

Thanks. I couldn't decide between 40/40 or 50/30 but I think I'll just go 50/30. I only need about 5 more awestones but I totally forgot about those ascetics in the dlc so I'll go there and pick those up.

Tarkus

The Grand Cathedral at Eleum Loyce is a very nice area to PvP. I'm surprised red signs aren't painted all over the floor there. I like to go there when I find someone who is really good on the IK bridge for more "private" duels.

Which trophy? If you just need Great Chaos fireball, it can be purchased in NG++, it is much more time effective.

Yeah that's the one, I considered NG++, but I don't really have the drive to get to NG++! I've never done arena PvP until recently though, so it's a new angle that's keeping my interest up.

But... I just saw that to achieve Rank 3, it's 500 more kills than deaths... I thought it was 300...

Top Bottom