• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Yeah that's the one, I considered NG++, but I don't really have the drive to get to NG++! I've never done arena PvP until recently though, so it's a new angle that's keeping my interest up.

But... I just saw that to achieve Rank 3, it's 500 more kills than deaths... I thought it was 300...

Going to NG++ is infinitely easier than getting the required kills in the red arena. That fireball is worth it though, I get like 750-800 damage with it on a direct hit.

---

I was chasing this host to the bonfire and I forgot about this cheeky fellow:

http://fat.gfycat.com/OilyGleefulIlsamochadegu.webm

What a rude dude.

Going to NG++ is infinitely easier than getting the required kills in the red arena. That fireball is worth it though, I get like 750-800 damage with it on a direct hit.

---

I was chasing this host to the bonfire and I forgot about this cheeky fellow:

http://fat.gfycat.com/OilyGleefulIlsamochadegu.webm

What a rude dude.

lol holy shit that's awesome

Yeah I think I may have to give up on the BoB, well the intent of achieving 500 more kills than deaths. Takes too long, and people healing, oh god the people healing.

Some guy sent me a trash msg just now on how I was using med. armour, swords and buffs vs his (bone) fists... Dude his uppercut took out half my life bar!

lol holy shit that's awesome

Yeah I think I may have to give up on the BoB, well the intent of achieving 500 more kills than deaths. Takes too long, and people healing, oh god the people healing.

Some guy sent me a trash msg just now on how I was using med. armour, swords and buffs vs his (bone) fists... Dude his uppercut took out half my life bar!

You can fly through NG+ and NG++ in no time. If you just want the trophy, you could get there in just a few hours.

2AdEPT

Thanks. I couldn't decide between 40/40 or 50/30 but I think I'll just go 50/30. I only need about 5 more awestones but I totally forgot about those ascetics in the dlc so I'll go there and pick those up.

Yeah unless you have a separate use for the dex, 50/30 will hit harder than 40/40, but not by much, so yeah if you want to get bonus off a bow or backup weapon that requires dex you wont go wrong 40/40. Of course, the bone fist would do better at 50/30 and that my friend is worth a lot imo. Bone fist or Vanquisher's with lots of ADP, lowish VIT, flynn ring, ring of blades +2 and ring of thorns +1 (2 is better but hard to get on NG)

GulAtiCa

Don't co-op the Ancient Dragon boss. That is a recipe for disaster, unless they made it much easier. It's certainly possible with the right team mates. I've done it before and helped out people and beta it with 3 people before. But very tough, esp as the host dying is too often.

Is PvP/invasions/co-op shared between regular game and NG+ and above now? If so, just go to any more popular area. co-op for Smelter Demon will always be popular. Heide's Tower co-op always good. End game bosses good too, as you will get different people for each of the 3 basses there.

And yes, just go to NG++ for that spell. Will be much easier. 10 hours max will takes to get there. Maybe a lot less if you are already NG+. Esp less so if you have a lot of souls and can by-pass that winter shire thingy.

The AI is what ruins that fight in co-op, but Ancient Dragon is easy enough without co-op. Red Iron Twinblade + RTSR + weapon buff = one scratched-up back paw.

GulAtiCa

Sunlight Spear to Darklurker = success!

I always did the Ancient Dragon from far away with many lightning spears. Took a good bit, but usually finished him off in 1 or 2 tries.

I haven't tried to take on Ancient Dragon with my Pyro character, as that prob be silly. lol. Will likely try attacking him later in NG+ when I get to that point. Will have to use non-fire based weapons of course.

Cross-posting from the Steam thread:

XQgYye8.jpg

Looking Glass fight was a perfect ending for a perfect area. Loved it so muc, I put my sign down and helped others at least 7 times. Still plan to do again later. It is so fun.
xCvCO9q.jpg

Not gonna lie. Sometimes I get a nice grin while reading messages.
XqRhmE4.jpg

This guy. Urgh. He hits hard and the area has flame pools which really takes a toll on my concentration -_-
But the worst is I forgot to summon Lucatiel, so I will need to Ascetic the area and take on him again.
3PSSvbt.jpg

Woot! I met the
Scholar
I guess? Was a pretty surprising meeting ;)
And now, just like it happened in Dark Souls 1, a very rare occurrence. I got, not one, not two but three (!) consecutive Titanite Slab drops. And the best, I didn't even use any Item Discovery gear!
Proof!
It's crazy! I have 6 (six) titanite slabs in my inventory. Without even trying to get one. But only one Chunk, so I can't even upgrade my weapons to make use of the slabs, haha.

Tarkus

And now, just like it happened in Dark Souls 1, a very rare occurrence. I got, not one, not two but three (!) consecutive Titanite Slab drops. And the best, I didn't even use any Item Discovery gear!
Proof!

It's crazy! I have 6 (six) titanite slabs in my inventory. Without even trying to get one. But only one Chunk, so I can't even upgrade my weapons to make use of the slabs, haha.
Slabs are about 10 times more common in DS2 than DS1. I have 48! The room at King's Bonfire is slab heaven.

Slabs are about 10 times more common in DS2 than DS1. I have 48! The room at King's Bonfire is slab heaven.
Oh wow, really? And here I thought I had a rare good run, haha.

Weird thing I can't find any chunks. My Greatsword is still at +7 :/

I think I will go Bell Covenant and hope for some chunky rewards.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Oh wow, really? And here I thought I had a rare good run, haha.

Weird thing I can't find any chunks. My Greatsword is still at +7 :/

I think I will go Bell Covenant and hope for some chunky rewards.

Fwiw, at end game you can purchase infinite chunks

GulAtiCa

The gankers were in full force yesterday at Bell Tower #1.... Had a guy who kept summoning different summoners and just waited for people. I escaped 2 times, but 3rd time I didn't make it. What a loser.

The gankers were in full force yesterday at Bell Tower #1.... Had a guy who kept summoning different summoners and just waited for people. I escaped 2 times, but 3rd time I didn't make it. What a loser.

Gankers are weird. There can be fun ganks, but unfortunately they are few and far between. I had a good one the other night in Belfry Luna where the two gankers would change their equipment every time I invaded, so at least they kept it interesting.

The worst ganks are people who have a NPC summon with them. On NG+ and higher those crazy fools have like 20,000 HP and hit like a truck! They're basically un-killable unless you cheese them off a cliff or something. Though that's kind of hard to do with two laggy Russian players pelting me with arrows and magic even though I ran behind a wall :/

Proof!

You will find that slabs are not terribly uncommon. Chunks are by far the biggest roadblock to upgrades. They can be farmed easy enough though.

GulAtiCa

Yeah chunks are the harder ones to get. Farming them via bell covenant is best way outside of buying them at end of game.

One thing I do dislike about it is gankers or when your bell brother decides to watch instead of helping out. Thanks a lot jackass.
Granted, I do realize the hypocritical of complaining about ganking when my co-grey phantom buddies aren't doing same.

The worst ganks are people who have a NPC summon with them. On NG+ and higher those crazy fools have like 20,000 HP and hit like a truck! They're basically un-killable unless you cheese them off a cliff or something. Though that's kind of hard to do with two laggy Russian players pelting me with arrows and magic even though I ran behind a wall :/
lol. I've never done this in DS2, but in DS1 my last big run-through was to NG+8 and I stayed low level being invaded in the Burg, Solaire and Lautrec @ NG+7 strength taking out one invader after another, so fucking funny to watch! All bets are off when you invade, this ain't no duel!

GulAtiCa

You can farm the magic guys in Shrine of Amana for twinkle titanite pretty easily from 3rd bonfire. Esp if you use gold ring +2 and other equip that increases chance.

You will find that slabs are not terribly uncommon. Chunks are by far the biggest roadblock to upgrades. They can be farmed easy enough though.
Yeah, after posting I had another two slab drops. Haha, here I thought I was the chosen one :p

You are absolutely right with the chunks! They are much harder to find. What a weird design desicion. I put on Jester's Mask and Gold Serpent Ring and made about 10 runs in Pharros. The Gyrms dropped in total 3 chunks. Wow, the rates are terrible! It was enough to get my Greatsword to +10 now though :D

Together with my STR 30 I make aout 400 + 120 damage. Max is 400 + 250 I read but I am currently all my souls into INT & FTH and buy all spells/hexes/miracles. Up until now I didn't use any magic etc. only sword. Want to change things up a bit.
Try finding twinkle titanite, those are pretty rare now
Yep. I haven't used any TT and am now at Undead Crypt and I have only about 15-17 TT.

Wish they were more common/easily farmable like in DS1. Because the way it is in DS2 I can't justify upgrading anything that needs TT.

This is not a fun aspect. I really love all the changes FromSoftware did but the TT/chunk rareness only leads to less variety since I have to focus on very few weapons. Such a waste.
-
On that note. I am at Undead Crypt and I am getting unusually frequent Red Orb invasions which are highly PVP oriented - which I am not at all and not interested. So I die all the time and the many knights right before the Boss in the long hall are getting tedious to kill :/

I even changed my covenant to Sun but it didn't lower invasions. That was a pretty good covenant to get less invasions in DS1 so I have no clue what to do to get invaded less.

Help guys!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Chunks are easy to get if you become a Bellbro/sis. I always do it on every playthrough. I don't like farming because it's so boring, so tying a farming mechanic to fun stuff like PvP was a brilliant idea.

Never ran out of chunks that way, plus I had fun PvPing. Win-win.

Mistel

Banned
Together with my STR 30 I make aout 400 + 120 damage. Max is 400 + 250 I read but I am currently all my souls into INT & FTH and buy all spells/hexes/miracles. Up until now I didn't use any magic etc. only sword. Want to change things up a bit.

Yep. I haven't used any TT and am now at Undead Crypt and I have only about 15-17 TT.

Wish they were more common/easily farmable like in DS1. Because the way it is in DS2 I can't justify upgrading anything that needs TT.

This is not a fun aspect. I really love all the changes FromSoftware did but the TT/chunk rareness only leads to less variety since I have to focus on very few weapons. Such a waste.
-
On that note. I am at Undead Crypt and I am getting unusually frequent Red Orb invasions which are highly PVP oriented - which I am not at all and not interested. So I die all the time and the many knights right before the Boss in the long hall are getting tedious to kill :/

I even changed my covenant to Sun but it didn't lower invasions. That was a pretty good covenant to get less invasions in DS1 so I have no clue what to do to get invaded less.

Help guys!
The max of 250 bonus is with 99/99 STR/DEX which is not really worth the investment at all as DEX scalling for the greatsword is so low in returns as its a STR weapon. As you're going the INT/FTH route, you might as well infuse your greatsword with dark to make use of those stats as well but not whilst you're in the crypt though.

Twinkling titanite is easily farmable in the first dlc if you have it if not the supply is rather limited. With respect to PvP prevention either burn a human effigy at the bonfire, join champions, and or go offline, those are your only 3 choices really.

SoldnerKei

Chunks are easy to get if you become a Bellbro/sis. I always do it on every playthrough. I don't like farming because it's so boring, so tying a farming mechanic to fun stuff like PvP was a brilliant idea.

Never ran out of chunks that way, plus I had fun PvPing. Win-win.

yeah, it works pretty well, unless you happen to be at my SM lvl, I rarely got into someone's world, but people constantly get into mine :c

PS3 seems to be pretty active, found a lot of people to play against on Iron Keep bridge, so many people, fight clubs, people rol playing, I even got a hate mail lol

Trying to farm sunlight medals at the Throne Defenders/Nash/Aldia boss fog is a pain. Those three fights one after the other is insane.

I didn't notice that From pumped up Nash's difficulty until my most recent playthrough. Must have missed that patch

Mistel

Banned
Trying to farm sunlight medals at the Throne Defenders/Nash/Aldia boss fog is a pain. Those three fights one after the other is insane.

I didn't notice that From pumped up Nash's difficulty until my most recent playthrough. Must have missed that patch
You can farm the falconeers instead with item boosting gear for sunlight medals. They never increased Nashandra's difficulty at all in any patch.

The max of 250 bonus is with 99/99 STR/DEX which is not really worth the investment at all as DEX scalling for the greatsword is so low in returns as its a STR weapon. As you're going the INT/FTH route, you might as well infuse your greatsword with dark to make use of those stats as well but not whilst you're in the crypt though.

Twinkling titanite is easily farmable in the first dlc if you have it if not the supply is rather limited. With respect to PvP prevention either burn a human effigy at the bonfire, join champions, and or go offline, those are your only 3 choices really.
Yeah, I realized that leveling STR even didn't give the DMG boost from lower levels. I thought about infusing it but I am kinda torn. What if I don't like it (thinking about lightining)? Then all my chunks will have gone to waste and I will have to farm chunks again and level it up to +10 again :/

I sadly don't have any DLC, still hoping to get it for a fiver at some point. Hopefully once Sins edition comes out the season pass will get that cheap.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, I realized that leveling STR even didn't give the DMG boost from lower levels. I thought about infusing it but I am kinda torn. What if I don't like it (thinking about lightining)? Then all my chunks will have gone to waste and I will have to farm chunks again and level it up to +10 again :/

I sadly don't have any DLC, still hoping to get it for a fiver at some point. Hopefully once Sins edition comes out the season pass will get that cheap.
You won't, infusions are different in these games you can add and remove infusions at will from a weapon. STR does give a damage boost, it's DEX which gives the lower returns from the investment on a non DEX build.

You won't, infusions are different in these games you can add and remove infusions at will from a weapon. STR does give a damage boost, it's DEX which gives the lower returns from the investment on a non DEX build.
Do you mean I can infuse say with lightning and defuse sometime later and I will get my +10 UGS back?

That would be awesome.

Dsyndrome

Fuck the Blue Smelter Demon and the gank squads he rode in on.

Spent yesterday maxing out the Crypt Blacksword to use on the dude, but never got to try it against him as I got greedy trying to rush past the mobs leading up to him.

Tonight... he will be mine!

ArynCrinn

Banned
Fuck the Blue Smelter Demon and the gank squads he rode in on.

Spent yesterday maxing out the Crypt Blacksword to use on the dude, but never got to try it against him as I got greedy trying to rush past the mobs leading up to him.

Tonight... he will be mine!

It's easy enough to rush past them, at the final place where the fog is, sort of lure the enemies towards you a bit before rolling through and rushing the fog gate. Crypt Blacksword will tear him up if you use the Red Tearstone, Flynn's Ring and Ring of Blades +2 and Cloranthy +1 or +2. Two-handed of course, so go naked or very light armor (I usually just use the Engraved Gauntlets and nothing else when wanting to be as light and hit hard as possible).

GulAtiCa

Hate dealing with twin blade users... Really hard to get a hit in.

What are some good ideas on weapons/etc to help deal with users like this? Would faster weapons work? Like daggers? Though that mean I have to be a lot closer. Or would essentially long weapons be better? But then there is a huge "prepare" time as you try to attack.

Tarkus

What are some good ideas on weapons/etc to help deal with users like this? Would faster weapons work? Like daggers? Though that mean I have to be a lot closer. Or would essentially long weapons be better? But then there is a huge "prepare" time as you try to attack.
Try the Partizan. It has a nice moveset and decent reach. If you get an R1 in you can get R1-R2-R2 to follow almost every time. This thing tears through poise like you wouldn't believe. Use that to your advantage against the twirly twin blades.

Mistel

Banned

Spears and lances work well, can stunlock them and keep them out of range.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The Dark Souls II Design Works has started being translated.

Tanimura: Yes, this game actually went through quite a troubled development process. Due to a number of factors we were actually forced to re-think the entire game midway into development.

Satake: ...In the original game the butchers in the depths carrying the giant meat cleavers and wearing torn sacks over their faces. When making them Mr Miyazaki never told us that they were women. On hearing that even we were surprised so I’m sure the players were similarly shocked. Rather than the artists producing those surprising twists it is in fact more down to the directors instruction.

On the previous game map and character artists weren’t separated but on this project i was in charge of the maps

Satake: Yes, while working on the previous game I remember thinking a larger game would be completely unthinkable, but this project eclipsed it in both size and scale. I told myself multiple times during development that it was impossible

The mirror knight was also the boss of the first playable build wasn’t he?

Satake: Well he has a strong image doesn’t he. Most people who saw it seemed to praise the subtle wing design embossed on the back of the armour, but personally I always loved the way the helmet looked. You can never tell what part will resonate with people.

Tanimura: Dark Souls’ Solaire of Astoria was a huge fan favourite wasn’t he. I liked the complexity of the character. On the face of it he’s a typical npc that might appear in any game, supportive and jovial to a fault, but underneath it all he’s deeply troubled. It’s only when you start to consider what type of person he really is that you discover he’s actually in an extremely dire situation. I really think that that’s tremendously clever and one of the things that draws people to the character.

More here

GulAtiCa

Thanks for the tip, Partizan worked out nicely. Still getting used to it, but starting to come in handy.

Best part is that with it on me, I am just under 50%. Though just barely. Basically can only use a 0.5 ring to keep me under, so have to use something usually weak. But occasionally I'll let myself go over and use better stuff.

GulAtiCa

If you've not upgraded it already there's a +6 one in brume tower in the room with the collapsing floors.

Yeah I read about that one, but I don't have that DLC anyways. I only have the 1st DLC. I plan to buy the PS4 Dark Souls 2 game when it releases, as it has all the DLC, so I don't plan to buy any of the other DLC currently for PS3.

So I went ahead and upgraded it to +10.

The Dark Souls II Design Works has started being translated.

Tanimura: Dark Souls’ Solaire of Astoria was a huge fan favourite wasn’t he. I liked the complexity of the character. On the face of it he’s a typical npc that might appear in any game, supportive and jovial to a fault, but underneath it all he’s deeply troubled. It’s only when you start to consider what type of person he really is that you discover he’s actually in an extremely dire situation. I really think that that’s tremendously clever and one of the things that draws people to the character.

More here

Thanks for the link, very interesting read. I am curious about the change in direction they discuss. They didn't specifically address the "downgrade", but I suspect the move away from the Lighting and Torch mechanic is related to this. It seems like a marked departure from where the game was going based on early gameplay.

Someone started translating the DS2 Design Works interview. Really fascinating stuff so far. They talk about how the project had to almost completely change directions halfway through development. This definitely helps explains some of the issues the game has, but it also impresses me that the game ended up as good as it is.

This is amazing!

While I was reading all those comments by the director and designers I was thinking of some specific aspects of the game.

The fact that the game director became the head of the project halfway through the development cycle is kinda shocking. D:

Also, the fact that he was in charge of the DLC from the very beginning makes me think that the world structure of a sequel may be more similar to DS one/Demon's Souls than the weird hybrid we saw in DS II.

Someone started translating the DS2 Design Works interview. Really fascinating stuff so far. They talk about how the project had to almost completely change directions halfway through development. This definitely helps explains some of the issues the game has, but it also impresses me that the game ended up as good as it is.

Interesting reading by far my favorite image from the artwork is this one, loving how the character is teleported to another world possibly another timeline from its own.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm gonna put this here to have somewhere to easily refer to it, and to just spread the word

Edit:
Another translation is in preparation. I'm not the author, but I'm kind of involved, i.e. in February I wrote a post on /r/translator and found a guy who was kind enough to translate the interview in his spare time. There are about two and a half pages left to translate, so it seems we are going to get two versions shortly :)

Here's a little update I've received today:
I took a look at the link you posted, and have decided to continue translating. I think that the author of that translation paraphrases a lot in order to cater to the English speaking audience, whereas I focused a little more on preserving the original nuances and phraseology, so our translations probably offer a slightly experience. I also noticed that this person was not including the notes in the page margins. I am including them as footnotes, along with a few remarks of my own. And you are right: it's not fun to stop now that I have come this far.

Tarkus

If the Black Knight Greatsword had the Claymore 2h moveset and not it's katana-esque set, it would be the best weapon in the game.

It's funny how people get mad if you wont let them do more than one buff. Cry me a fucking river.

Is a Lightning Uchigatana good? Or should I use the Black steel katana and infuse that with lightning? I was thinking if dual wielding katanas for a Dex build.

Mistel

Banned
Is a Lightning Uchigatana good? Or should I use the Black steel katana and infuse that with lightning? I was thinking if dual wielding katanas for a Dex build.
Go blacksteel for it they scale better and you can get two in a playthrough.
So guys I haven't played in a month is there a more active pvp spot than the bridge on ng ++?
There's probably not a more active place but you could try Heide if you want a change of scenery.

Top Bottom