• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III DLC: Ashes of Ariandel - review thread

silva1991

Its the hardest boss in the series to learn, thats for sure.

It has alot of direct nods to challenger runners "you can't do that shit anymore".
For example:
See how in this fight, i just walk round the backflip, to make sure i position right for a backstab.
https://youtu.be/VYLvwkgvFfo?t=3m20s
Well this boss has a nasty tricks up it sleeve to prevent that, if you try it, its got very clever AI tbh.

Now I'm excited! I better make sure to go to NG+ 4 at least with one of my characters. :)

Oh god, if the boss is harder than Ludwig or OoK then I'm... not ready.

Not necessarily harder to master, just harder to learn. (I would say ludwig is harder to master, but easy to learn. OoK is just hard all around.)

I'll explain what makes the AoA boss so hard to learn, but it will spoil a big surprise about the boss!

So boss has three phases
  1. Hard to learn, easy to master phase.
  2. Once you've learnt all the moves here and how to punish them, its nothing too hard, just have to avoid being greedy and stay aware.
  3. Okay, so three phases in and now the boss is legit is going nuts, theres tons of move's to learn. The boss has multiple stances in this fight and mmo like attack sequences.
    Its has extremely punishing moves and they all require you to do different things, to safely dodge. This is very hard to learn, since you've already gone through two phases to get here and the boss is pretty nuts by itself.

Gbraga

I found ludwigs harder to master , because the fight is just so looooooooooong.
So it was frustrating to "learn to master" the second phase
https://youtu.be/L2O0AMlPb7k?t=4m14s

Hahahahahahaha, reminds me of this gif:

OqRWm22.gif

At the very least Miyazaki said he's not interested in sequels right now and said there aren't any in the making back in july so any BB2 would be at least 3-4 years out. They're working on another souls spin-off right now though, I personally hope it's based off of really surreal and trippy artwork rather than sci fi, take the weirdness of Bloodborne to an entirely different level and do a game around that instead.

Give me a game based off of this with more cosmic horror and more trick weapons and stuff like the amygdalin arm over more Dark Souls/Bloodborne any day

Been saying this for years. Even put together a quick design doc with level/enemy concepts for a Souls-style surreal game a few years back.

From has been expanding on Boletaria and Latria for years now, bringing more and more Western Fantasy and Horror themes to the series. I'd like to see them go back and model some games after Shrine of Storms instead. Bizarre, beautiful places filled with astounding creatures and architecture.

We've seen enough ruined castles and hellish catacombs, now give us exotic jungles, gorgeous grottos, strange and sublime places that amaze and terrify in equal measure.

Nere

Been saying this for years. Even put together a quick design doc with level/enemy concepts for a Souls-style surreal game a few years back.

From has been expanding on Boletaria and Latria for years now, bringing more and more Western Fantasy and Horror themes to the series. I'd like to see them go back and model some games after Shrine of Storms instead. Bizarre, beautiful places filled with astounding creatures and architecture.

We've seen enough ruined castles and hellish catacombs, now give us exotic jungles, gorgeous grottos, strange and sublime places that amaze and terrify in equal measure.

And they had a big success doing so.

And they had a big success doing so.

They did, and their games are still amazing, but the settings are starting to become redundant. From has expressed interest in switching things up, and I think this DLC is a good illustration of why that's becoming increasingly necessary.

Wagram

So the lower reviews (compared to other Souls content) seems to more of "it's shorter and similar in aesthetic to what we've done before" than it being bad?

This so called hard boss gets me pumped.

What level am I supposed to play this? SL 60-70? Also is NG recommended?

i did the good boss naked (with 30 vit+ember) and was close to being one shotted by some moves, so i would say 30 vit would be a good idea for first playthrough.
I only had 14 estus @+8, i would recommend making sure youve got all 15 @ +10 and some embers.

So the lower reviews (compared to other Souls content) seems to more of "it's shorter and similar in aesthetic to what we've done before" than it being bad?

Yea its really not that short though, its just theres no gimmicks to make you explore. So it often feels like youve explored a whole area for no reason, other than a new armor etc.

Any word about the recommended level to play the DLC? Even tough you can access it early on the game, I imagine you have to be at a higher lvl to have a fair challenge.

I created a new character to play the DLC, and was thinking about 60 or 80 SL... right now I'm already 36 and arrived at the Cleansing Chapel.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Wait the DLC has no new trophies? Been watching videos on YT and nobody is unlocking anything. Even for beating bosses. What the hell From!

Ferr986

i did the good boss naked (with 30 vit+ember) and was close to being one shotted by some moves, so i would say 30 vit would be a good idea for first playthrough.
I only had 14 estus @+8, i would recommend making sure youve got all 15 @ +10 and some embers.

Yea its really not that short though, its just theres no gimmicks to make you explore. So it often feels like youve explored a whole area for no reason, other than a new armor etc.

So 27vig on NG+ means I'm fucked, right?lol

Any word about the recommended level to play the DLC? Even tough you can access it early on the game, I imagine you have to be at a higher lvl to have a fair challenge.

I created a new character to play the DLC, and was thinking about 60 or 80 SL... right now I'm already 36 and arrived at the Cleansing Chapel.

It will probably be rather tough at that level. You can always try and then continue with the main campaign if it's too hard.

Veelk

Banned
Can someone let me know exactly how much are the enemies buffed in NG+? One of the criticisms of DS3 is that the enemies remain similar in strength to how they were. But is that the case for the DLC? I only have a save in NG+, so am I gonna face a much tougher fight?

Can someone let me know exactly how much are the enemies buffed in NG+? One of the criticisms of DS3 is that the enemies remain similar in strength to how they were. But is that the case for the DLC? I only have a save in NG+, so am I gonna face a much tougher fight?

I think it's like 8% for each NG+ up till Journey 7 or so, then it doesn't increase any further.

I have a character at about 95...ish. Done everything on NG. So pretty high stats in terms of health etc, should I go to NG+ for the DLC? I have no problem with it. I did The Old Hunters on either NG+ or NG++ on Bloodborne...also as a side question...what's the best spell buff for a weapon? I know they scale with Spell Buff (?) and so on but is there one that's outright better, or better in general? Hopefully non covenant :p

But is it different for the DLC? I remember bloodborne becoming slightly tougher on ng+, while it's DLC because WAY tougher. That's my concern.

Oh, yeah. Good point. If the DLC is tougher than areas in the main game in terms of HP of enemies and damage they deal we can assume the increase will feel significantly tougher, even if it's still that x% value.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member

Allright! Thanks for your input!

Milijango

Wait the DLC has no new trophies? Been watching videos on YT and nobody is unlocking anything. Even for beating bosses. What the hell From!

Not yet, at least. I wouldn't be surprised if they never show up, since DS1 and DS2 didn't have trophies for the DLC.

AHA-Lambda

This so called hard boss gets me pumped.

I'm wondering if the lower reviews are partly accounted for by a sense of fatigue now? There definitely felt to be some element of that in the overall reception of the base game to begin with

Jombie

I'm wondering if the lower reviews are partly accounted for by a sense of fatigue now? There definitely felt to be some element of that in the overall reception of the base game to begin with

I've viewed a few streams and I can see where they're coming from. It's not only short but the area itself just looks kind of bland and uninspired. Terrible loot and only one boss that's worth a shit.

I think even without that, it just seems a bit lacking in comparison to the other games DLC. It's not horrible at all and I don't think the reviews paint it that way. It's simply good but a bit lacking imo. It really doesn't take all that long to play through either for those familiar with the franchise. Fuck that boss, took me forever to finish it lol. Great visual design, per From Software so of course!

Wow....Sounds disappointingly small.

Hopefully the 2 dlcs together are equal to one Artoria's of the Abyss' worth of content. And hopefully It's not a long wait for part 2.

I'm not bothering until all DLC is out. This doesn't sound particularly substantial, and I'm not starting a new save now and another when the next DLC hits.

GOOCHY

I got an alert on my PS4 that the DLC had installed overnight. Is it available to play now? I thought the release date was tomorrow.

Zaventem

Trend of throwing bonfires everywhere at you continues again! Ever since dark souls 2 the game has been on a downward spiral trying to cater to everyone. I'm honestly glad bloodborne exist.

UrbanRats

I think it's there, i feel it myself, infact, i started to feel it with Bloodborne.
A part of what made Demon and Dark so successful, was how new, different and mysterious they felt.
Now the mechanics, the tricks and the traps, are starting to feel formulaic and predictable, and it removes some of the magic, as good as these games are.

A pause from the formula would be a good thing, i think.

Milijango

Dark Souls II DLC was fantastic though. But I'm not sure how critics viewed it compared to how they're viewing this.

Quite a bit better. The Crown trilogy has 81, 77, and 83 as its opencritic scores and the Old Hunters has 86. Ariandel has 70. More importantly, the text of the reviews is so much more positive as a whole.

burgerdog

Trend of throwing bonfires everywhere at you continues again! Ever since dark souls 2 the game has been on a downward spiral trying to cater to everyone. I'm honestly glad bloodborne exist.

But Bloodborne has a ton of lamps, too. What a weird thing to say.

Milijango

But Bloodborne has a ton of lamps, too. What a weird thing to say.

It's entirely fair to say. All but four areas in Bloodborne have one lamp excluding the largely superfluous boss lamps. In Dark Souls III, the Cathedral of the Deep, Irithyll Dungeon, and the Grand Archives are the only large areas to have a one-bonfire layout. And the game also retains the throwaway boss bonfires. Bloodborne is unarguably the most checkpoint-light Souls game since Demon's Souls.

That said personally I think it's only slightly more egregious than the first Dark Souls. The problem lies largely with Undead Settlement, Crucifixion Woods, and Farron Keep, mostly because the runs between bonfires are not only short but also risk-free. They're also at the beginning of the game and back-to-back, so they leave a pretty bad impression.

TitusTroy

is the Dark Sword still a good STR weapon to use throughout the entire game (PvE)?...I heard that they nerfed it awhile back with one of the earlier patches

TitusTroy

I'm ready!...even though reviews have not been as good as previous From Software DLC, I'm sure I'll be happy with it...played a new STR playthrough this weekend using the Cathedral Knight Greatsword (Heavy +10)...Champion Gundyr and Nameless King were tough using this build as swings are slow while the bosses are really fast and furious...eventually beat them both but it wasn't as easy as with my DEX build

Old Hunters did though, which made me believe that DSIII would follow suit. T_T.

omg I am so angry right now. Even simple add ons for Rocket League have trophies, and a 15 euro piece of content does not have trophies???? ARARHGHHGGGHH

I thought every single game and piece of content nowadays was obliged by Sony to have trophies. I don't play my games for trophies but games I love and want to 100% I sure enjoy them.

Top Bottom