• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III [Import OT] Kindle the fire, one last time

MilkBeard

I should probably stop watching, because every new area is like 'holy shit that's awesome' and I want to save it for when I actually play.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, this is looking pretty much like Miyazaki's greatest hits. You can see influence of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne all over it. Works for me.

DMTripper

Lovely OT, thanks.

I haven't seen a single video or really read anything. Just read the OT and wondering if there is a respec option in this game? Thanks.

I've been in the dark about this game so I probably shouldn't be in here, but I've got a question.

How do rolling speeds work in this game? Is it tied to a stat again regarding weight (Vitality/Adaptability in DKSII and Endurance in DKSI)?

Wait, invasions are like invasions in bloodborne? Is this really true? If this is true I won't buy it day 1, maybe later. I hated this crap in Bloodborne.

Lovely OT, thanks.

I haven't seen a single video or really read anything. Just read the OT and wondering if there is a respec option in this game? Thanks.

There is. Likely more limited and hard to obtain than in DS2.

I've been in the dark about this game so I probably shouldn't be in here, but I've got a question.

How do rolling speeds work in this game? Is it tied to a stat again regarding weight (Vitality/Adaptability in DKSII and Endurance in DKSI)?

No stat, forget that shit.

But the rolling itself works like DkS2 (2 speeds: fast <75% equip load, fat roll >75%, the less equip load, the larger is the distance)

Wait, invasions are like invasions in bloodborne? Is this really true? If this is true I won't buy it day 1, maybe later. I hated this crap in Bloodborne.

Nope.

If you are in cinder mode (humanity replacement) you can be invaded.

Basically like DS1.

But the rolling itself works like DkS2 (2 speeds: fast <75% equip load, fat roll >75%, the less equip load, the larger is the distance)

Nope.

Basically like DS1.

Amazing, thank you!

Majin Boo

Lovely OT, thanks.

There is, but we don't know how it will work yet.

Rolling once again depends on your equip load:
<70% => fast roll
>70% => fat roll

reducing your equip load below 70% will increase the rolling distance.

That's not all of them, right? It will be updated?

Yes, it will be updated once the japanese version is officially released.

Haven't seen this anywhere but what is the penalty for dying other than dropping your Souls? They don't do the hollow mechanic in this game it seems.

Ryan7556

Neo Member
Haven't seen this anywhere but what is the penalty for dying other than dropping your Souls?

You just lose your souls if you die. However, if you're in cinder form (e.g. after using an ember) you lose the bonus HP as well. Unlike in Dark Souls 2, it's not a gradual HP decrease each time after death. So you could say it's sort of like Demon's Souls (but the HP loss isn't as punishing this time).

DMTripper

Nope.

Basically like DS1.

There is, but we don't know how it will work yet.

Rolling once again depends on your equip load:
<70% => fast roll
>70% => fat roll

reducing your equip load below 70% will increase the rolling distance.

Yes, it will be updated once the japanese version is officially released.

Cool, thanks!

I'm happy if you could do 1 respec per play through. Then you could mix things up a bit. It was way overdone in 2 imo.

You just lose your souls if you die. However, if you're in cinder form (e.g. after using an ember) you lose the bonus HP as well. Unlike in Dark Souls 2, it's not a gradual HP decrease each time after death.

Do we know of other penalities? DAS1 made drop rates and resistance better while human if I recall correctly.

Cool, thanks!

I'm happy if you could do 1 respec per play through. Then you could mix things up a bit. It was way overdone in 2 imo.

I liked in 2, specially considering it was quite bloated and to reach certain equipment was a pain in the ass, so being able to try several different builds with one character wasone of the best aditions in DS2.

Do we know of other penalities? DAS1 made drop rates and resistance better while human if I recall correctly.

No, we know that being in cinder gives you a bonus on some stats, but I don't think we know yet the if it brings more benefits.

And, in DkS1, I think the thing that gave you more drop rates and resistance was the number of humanities you held, rather than being in human form

It wasn't hollow/human form that affected that, it was how much soft humanity you had. Also it was only curse resist. Of course when you died you dropped your soft humanity along with your souls so you temporarily had less item find and curse resist.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

DMTripper

I liked in 2, specially considering it was quite bloated and to reach certain equipment was a pain in the ass, so being able to try several different builds with one character wasone of the best aditions in DS2.

No, we know that being in cinder gives you a bonus on some stats, but I don't think we know yet the if it brings more benefits.

And, in DkS1, I think the thing that gave you more drop rates and resistance was the number of humanities you held, rather than being in human form

I dunno. I feel that you have to be more careful with how you spec your character and later every level up will count. With ds2 it just didn't really matter.

Edit. Also I'm going evil this game... Every other I was Mr nice guy helping out n00b... This time watch your backs :-D

krakov

It wasn't hollow/human form that affected that, it was how much soft humanity you had. It was also only curse resist. Of course when you died you dropped your soft humanity along with your souls so you temporarily had less item find and curse resist.

Soft humanity also raises defensive resistances. Not sure about bleed/poison but physical and elemental defense for sure.

How about rings of sacrifice? Are they infinitely repairable or do they break once and are gone? Found it to weaken the danger in DaS2 when you could always have one on and never fear losing Souls. My wife abused the hell out of it in DaS2.

KAOz

Short bus special
Haven't seen this anywhere but what is the penalty for dying other than dropping your Souls? They don't do the hollow mechanic in this game it seems.

There is some kind of "mechanic" in there as far as I've seen. It seems more complex and more hidden though. And for sake of spoilers I wont say what it is.

It was in one of Vaatis videos, that's how I know.

I dunno. I feel that you have to be more careful with how you spec your character and later every level up will count. With ds2 it just didn't really matter.

Well, in my case I only used the vessels after killing the final boss, so I don't feel that way.

But IMO, yeah, it should be an item that you should obtain way advanced into the game, If I recall correctly you could get them quite early in DkS2.

Ryan7556

Neo Member
How about rings of sacrifice? Are they infinitely repairable or do they break once and are gone? Found it to weaken the danger in DaS2 when you could always have one on and never fear losing Souls. My wife abused the hell out of it in DaS2.

This is just an assumption, but from what I saw rings don't have durability I think (but they do have weight), and the ring of sacrifice had the same icon as in DS1. So I think it's most likely back to breaking forever once gone.

Majin Boo

I know this is how it worked in DS2, but is it confirmed to work the same way in DS3? The tooltip just says that it "increases movement speed."

I read about it somewhere a few days ago, the post even had the percentages on how certain equip loads affect the rolling distance, sadly I can't find it anymore.

aravuus

I also abused the hell out of it, and frankly - it made the game far more enjoyable for me. Personally I hope it works like it did in DkS2.

Not optimistic, though.

Soft humanity also raises defensive resistances. Not sure about bleed/poison but physical and elemental defense for sure.

You're right. It's a pretty tiny amount though even if you have a ton.

I read about it somewhere a few days ago, the post even had the percentages on how certain equip loads affect the rolling distance, sadly I can't find it anymore.

Bummer. I was kind of hoping that it actually increased movement speed as well. Would have made light armor builds even more fun.

krakov

Well, in my case I only used the vessels after killing the final boss, so I don't feel that way.

But IMO, yeah, it should be an item that you should obtain way advanced into the game, If I recall correctly you could get them quite early in DkS2.

You can quite easily respec twice during the first hour if you are somewhat familiar with DS2. Item placement didn't make any sense in that game.

Majin Boo

I still don't understand why we couldn't respec in Bloodborne, going through the chalice dungeons with every new build was extremely annoying...

iFirez

I loved Bloodborne. Finished it, loved it!

However, I couldn't get into Demons' Souls or Dark Souls 1 or 2. I'm going to give 3 ago - but am worried about it just not jelling with me the way Bloodborne did.

I still don't understand why we couldn't respec in Bloodborne, going through the chalice dungeons with every new build was extremely annoying...

Me neither.

Yet I still made 3 characters, 3 characters than went to every fucking chalice dungeons, the game was that good. lol

I loved Bloodborne. Finished it, loved it!

However, I couldn't get into Demons' Souls or Dark Souls 1 or 2. I'm going to give 3 ago - but am worried about it just not jelling with me the way Bloodborne did.

Chances are high that that might be the case.

DkS3 is still a Dark Souls game at it's core, even with tha faster combat speed and some BB influence.

Majin Boo

Me neither.

Yet I still made 3 characters, 3 characters than went to every fucking chalice dungeons, the game was that good. lol

No doubt about it, made 7 characters and farmed the best blood gems for 4 of them, I absolutely love the game, but I don't think I could see the standard chalice dungeons ever again.

Was this made by the A-Team or B-Team?

I know it doesn't matter with Miyazaki at the helm but just curious

XFVRYLf.jpg

/s

Probably a mix of both.

Finalow

I've literally been called "stupid" by some self-proclaimed experts here for saying that it took a game like Bloodborne to make me appreciate Dark Souls 2 even more than I did previously. Every game has had hitbox/hurtbox problems, but they really seem to have gotten worse with each new game.
no, you're just wrong. Bloodborne didn't have hitboxes as glaringly awful as DkS2 did (which affected pvp too since phantom-range weapons existed), and it's not the grave issue some people pretend it to be. sure, go on the internt and pull every hitbox24.gif (and you'll surely find more DarkSouls2 gifs) - but while playing the game and doing your run you'll hardly notice more than a pig charge attack or some bosses random grab.
or I guess all the people who finished the game multiple times and didn't run into a grab attack reaching you from 10m away every 30 steps must be lying, right. meanwhile let's pretend DkS2 didn't have swords hitting you from the other side of a boss room.

no, you're just wrong. Bloodborne didn't have hitboxes as glaringly awful as DkS2 did (which affected pvp too since phantom-range weapons existed), and it's not the grave issue some people pretend it to be. sure, go on the internt and pull every hitbox24.gif (and you'll surely find more DarkSouls2 gifs) - but while playing the game and doing your run you'll hardly notice more than a pig charge attack or some bosses random grab.
or I guess all the people who finished the game multiple times and didn't run into a grab attack reaching you from 10m away every 30 steps must be lying, right. meanwhile let's pretend DkS2 didn't have swords hitting you from the other side of a boss room.

How 80% of PvP fights played in DkS2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36CTT_O38LQ

Best souls PvP guyz!!

Sanctuary

Hints of Demon's Souls as well.

By all accounts, Dark Souls 3 is a distillation of everything under the Souls umbrella that came before it. That most definitely includes Bloodborne too. Which makes sense.

LMAO. Yet another example of "Didn't see it, so it doesn't exist". It's like there's some ridiculous drug induced effect that talking about Bloodborne has over some people. What's really going on is almost certainly a case where a lot of these issues are overlooked because it's not a "B team" game (even though it has very similar issues) and the fact that the person in denial is simply enjoying the game so much that they forgive the problems entirely. Then there's also a matter of simply playing the game a single time and forgetting about anything other than "it was fun" and "it looked nice", instead of replaying it multiple times or bothering with Chalice Dungeons at all.

aravuus

Seeing how we're in a Dark Souls 3 import OT and people are still whining about DkS2, I guess it's never gonna end, is it?

Top Bottom