• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Tarkus

Good tourney. I hope someone at FROM watched it and took notes about the OP Carthus Cancer Sword and Estoc. When pretty much everyone is using them, you know there is a problem. I mean, don't nerf them, just improve the other weapons. There are so many that are just unviable because of weak damage and speed. I really think poise needs to be improved as well, because a lot of the reason why weapons aren't used is because they have no hyper armor and can't get a hit off. You know, considering hyper armor is the new poise.

Oddly, oroboro and pts probably had the best duels because of their weapon choices.

RiggyRob

Picked up the Carthus Curved Sword while exploring the Catacombs of Carthus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=qXcdSetPV5o

Ironically enough, I put it away in the box mainly because I prefer the standard moveset of the Irithyll Straight Sword, and I can use the Great Scythe and Uchigatana for different situations/utility.

Another
illusory wall message, another illusory wall! I'm glad we're finding these, it'd be terrible if we'd gone through the whole game and not found any when it turns out there actually are some like Bloodborne - it was only the Chalice dungeons, but it still gave me a sense of dread hearing that there were illusory walls in Bloodborne without the context to go with it!

Finally, that was a lot of skeletons at the end, possibly the most amount of enemies in one place I've ever seen in a Soulsborne game.

onionfrog

T
win
P
rinces
at SL1.
Nope-Meme-17.jpg
;_;
I think I'm gonna be stuck on this one for a long time!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
cleared a bit more of the undead settlement. i'm just realising now the areas are much larger than previous games. at least it feels like it to me based on this one. i thought i was to go take on the boss next but looking at the map i've missed quite a large area. it seems to be accesed from where you free irina but i didn't notice a door or anything. i guess i'll check it out next time.

i'm currently using the sword i picked up from that frost knight (not sure it's proper name) just before the door to the road of sacrifices. i want to use my claymore but i'm fat rolling with it so need to work on my equip load.

RiggyRob

cleared a bit more of the undead settlement. i'm just realising now the areas are much larger than previous games. at least it feels like it to me based on this one. i thought i was to go take on the boss next but looking at the map i've missed quite a large area. it seems to be accesed from where you free irina but i didn't notice a door or anything. i guess i'll check it out next time.

i'm currently using the sword i picked up from that frost knight (not sure it's proper name) just before the door to the road of sacrifices. i want to use my claymore but i'm fat rolling with it so need to work on my equip load.

We're finding this too, the areas are much bigger than DS2 at least.

The Irithyll Straight Sword is the frost sword, I really like it! Similar to the Fire Longsword in DS2 in a way.

Tarkus

Irithyll Straight Sword is a pretty good weapon. It's the longest straight sword, rivaled only by the Gotthard Twinswords. The damage is medium, while the frostbite effect is useless at this point. Another good thing is that it upgrades with Twinkling Titanite which means you can get it to +4 fairly quickly, much more so than getting a regular weapon to +8 or 9.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Since Greatbows are two handed, can you use them with less than the listed STR requirement? Also, if you don't meet the stats, can you still knock buggers off cliffs?

RiggyRob

Defeated
High Lord Wolnir
in the Catacombs of Carthus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTQngFCReRU&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&index=27

This was a cool boss -
giant skeleton lord spewing out poisonous gas and summoning skeleton warriors, I think the arena being devoid of light apart from the glowing bracelets adds to the oppressive feel. In hindsight attacking the glowing bracelets as its weak points is kinda obvious, but we had fun figuring out Wolnir's moves (such as drawing out that massive sword, holy shit).

One thing I'm not sure of though - did the goblet teleport us to a new place, or were we in the goblet?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
cleared all of undead settlement and went to take on the boss. i seem to be doing little damage to him. i know i need to hit the eggs on him but even then. the fight went as far as the floor breaking and his hand coming out but once he grabbed me that was it over as i had ran out of estus.

cleared all of undead settlement and went to take on the boss. i seem to be doing little damage to him. i know i need to hit the eggs on him but even then. the fight went as far as the floor breaking and his hand coming out but once he grabbed me that was it over as i had ran out of estus.
Try using a fire resin for a damage buff, he's made of wood afterall :)

BraXzy

After around 40 hours, I completed the game late last night. First souls game ever.

I have since been reading up on all the lore I have missed!

JJShadow

After beating Bloodborne and clearing all the areas of DS3 until Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, I was finding DS3 much easier than BB... and then
Pontiff Sullyvahn
made me take that back lol. I still have to play DS1 and 2, but imo it's maybe the most difficult boss I've ever faced in BB+what I've played of DS3. 20 attemps later he was still kicking my ass hardly, so I had to summon a friend to give me a hand with him.

One question for those of you who have played using a knight/strenght build: which sword/knife/one-handed weapon in general do you find the best? I've been sticking to the Irithyll Straight Sword since I found it early in the game, but now I'm giving a chance to the butcher's knife, but I find it a little bit low for my play style

One question for those of you who have played using a knight/strenght build: which sword/knife/one-handed weapon in general do you find the best?
Heavy Dark Sword +10 , IMHO the best one handed STR weapon in the game. Crazy amount of damage, fast and very good. Short range, tho.

Just when I thought I was done with Dark Souls 3 I find a way to keep playing. I've been placing my white soapstone down at the SoC fog wall while I practice violin or fold laundry, and I get summoned about once every 5 mins so it's perfect. You can't really do that with other games.

After around 40 hours, I completed the game late last night. First souls game ever.

I have since been reading up on all the lore I have missed!

Whoa, look at the speedrunner over here.

I think it took me almost 100 hours to beat it lol. But that includes lots of jolly cooperation.

Melchiah

Heavy Dark Sword +10 , IMHO the best one handed STR weapon in the game. Crazy amount of damage, fast and very good. Short range, tho.

Actually refined is better in the end, as it scales with both strength and dexterity, but it demands a pretty good amount of levelling up before it surpasses the heavy version.

chunk3rvd

Just starting my NG++ run to get the final rings I need for the platinum. Was thinking that since I need to reach the Archives and beat NK, it would be sensible to create a backup save at some point to roll back to rather than head into NG+3 to reopen my PVP options. What would be a sensible point? I'm thinking while Aldrich is still alive and activate the Dancer fight so high wall invasions are still possible? It's a shame there's no route/skip to keep the High Wall, the forest and the post Pontiff area active all at the same time

Just starting my NG++ run to get the final rings I need for the platinum. Was thinking that since I need to reach the Archives and beat NK, it would be sensible to create a backup save at some point to roll back to rather than head into NG+3 to reopen my PVP options. What would be a sensible point? I'm thinking while Aldrich is still alive and activate the Dancer fight so high wall invasions are still possible? It's a shame there's no route/skip to keep the High Wall, the forest and the post Pontiff area active all at the same time

This is what I did, I have a backup in NG+ where Aldrich is still alive for PvP. I also did it so I can jump straight into the DLC without worrying about an obscene difficulty spike at NG+2, or 3.

chunk3rvd

This is what I did, I have a backup in NG+ where Aldrich is still alive for PvP. I also did it so I can jump straight into the DLC without worrying about an obscene difficulty spike at NG+2, or 3.

Yeah, kicking myself for not thinking about this earlier and making a few backups. I do have a 2nd build I've been working on that's still in NG though so might just use that for DLC

RiggyRob

Backtracked to the Firelink Shrine after killing High Lord Wolnir to get the Tower Key: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=zxOeQt_dSps

Sooo...
Fire Keeper Soul, eh? Wasn't quite expecting to see that at the top of the tower! It reminds of the weird debate of can a person have more than one soul within them and if so, what does that mean? Souls are used as currency, but what do the vendors actually use them for?

If the Fire Keeper Soul was tainted by the Abyss, does that mean our Fire Keeper is tainted too? All sounds very 'end-of-game-affecting'.

Also found the Smooth and Silky Crow, and I noticed that we haven't actually found any Smooth/Silky Smooth Stones, so we ended up just guessing what items might work. At least Prism Stones exist in this game!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
finally got past the cursed greatwood boss. just equipped my claymore despite it giving me a fat roll and made a huge difference. moved onto the road of sacrifice and defeated the crystal sage. now onto the next area! i got another estus shard and managed to level up a bit so focused on equip load and can roll just as fast as with my previous sword.

Backtracked to the Firelink Shrine after killing High Lord Wolnir to get the Tower Key: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=zxOeQt_dSps

Sooo...
Fire Keeper Soul, eh? Wasn't quite expecting to see that at the top of the tower! It reminds of the weird debate of can a person have more than one soul within them and if so, what does that mean? Souls are used as currency, but what do the vendors actually use them for?

If the Fire Keeper Soul was tainted by the Abyss, does that mean our Fire Keeper is tainted too? All sounds very 'end-of-game-affecting'.

Also found the Smooth and Silky Crow, and I noticed that we haven't actually found any Smooth/Silky Smooth Stones, so we ended up just guessing what items might work. At least Prism Stones exist in this game!
The Fire Keeper Soul is another thing in the game that is a callback to Dark Souls 1 lore. Basically, it's filled with humanity.

The crows in each game all want different items based on what they say:

Sparkly the crow: "Give sparkly, me! Give twinkly, me!"
Snuggly the crow: "You, you. Give me, warm. Give me, soft."
Dyna and Tilla: "You! You! Give us Smooth! Yes! You! Give us Silky!"
Bloodborne crows: *loud barking noises, coughs up pebbles*
Pickle Pee and Pump a Rum: You, you! Me me Pickle Pee! Me, me Pump-a-rum!"

RiggyRob

The Fire Keeper Soul is another thing in the game that is a callback to Dark Souls 1 lore. Basically, it's filled with humanity.

The crows in each game all want different items based on what they say:

Sparkly the crow: "Give sparkly, me! Give twinkly, me!"
Snuggly the crow: "You, you. Give me, warm. Give me, soft."
Dyna and Tilla: "You! You! Give us Smooth! Yes! You! Give us Silky!"
Bloodborne crows: *loud barking noises, coughs up pebbles*
Pickle Pee and Pump a Rum: You, you! Me me Pickle Pee! Me, me Pump-a-rum!"

Wait, there's two crows?! Also I figured Eileen was Bloodborne's version of the crow.

The humanity thing I found interesting -
going by the wikis Humanity looks like a black soul, the Human Effigy looks like a wireframe Humanity with white inside (closest to the Fire Keeper Soul actually) and the Ember looks like the Human Effigy but with flames. Possibly showing the progression from the Abyss to the First Flame?

/LoreTheoriesFromMyArse

Will I like this game coming from bloodborne? I never bothered with the original dark souls, never bothered with it past the first boss just didn't have he patience. Loved bloodborne though.

Will I like this game coming from bloodborne? I never bothered with the original dark souls, never bothered with it past the first boss just didn't have he patience. Loved bloodborne though.

If you bothered with BB you will with any Souls game, seriously, level design, difficulty and progress is similar.

Unless you like BB's combat approach way more, I don't see why any person who enjoyed BB can't enjoy any other souls game.

Melchiah

Bloodborne was the first From game I completed, and while I enjoyed DS3 I have no desire to replay it. I just liked BB's combat, trick weapons, and Lovecraftian horror more. I also had hard time beating some of the more aggressive bosses, and similar regular enemies, due to the change in parry and dodge mechanics. Not to mention having only a handful of healing items in the early stages. I can't say I liked the encumberance penalty, or being showered with dozens of similar weapons either. I'm still looking forward to the DLC though.

RiggyRob

Backtracked a little bit more and solved Siegward's lift puzzle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=sMvWcdUHxJs

No
soul for killing this demon, which I found a bit weird - there can't be that many demons wandering around, and Ludleth has weapons for Soul of a Demon specifically, so I wonder what the deal with that is.

Siegward's a bit of a goofball, but we like him - toasting drinks and sleeping off battles is a personality trait we never saw in DS2 or BB.

Also picked up the Mirrah set (which I'm assuming is Lucatiel's set from DS2) and the Chloranthy Ring, and that ring is never coming off!

grmlin

I like it a lot :) And BB was the only souls game I played before. Well, tried to get into DS1 but it didn't hook me.

Anyway, beat it yesterday. The last boss was fun I guess. I was a little sad that once I made it past his first phase he
was easy as fuck :(

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Had quite a nice PvP win streak last night after respeccing my Katana/Quality main to 60 DEX. Chaos Blade with Flynn Ring (17-18 weight) and high VIG is a thing of beauty. Outdamages every other unbuffed katana on my previous Quality set up quite significantly. The VIG loss isn't even noticeable.

kaos.

T
win
P
rinces
at SL1.

;_;
I think I'm gonna be stuck on this one for a long time!

It's not as hard as it seems... And if you've gone so far, the worst part is behind you.
If you've killed champion g. you could equip the prisoner's chain: it's the sl1 easy mode!

Tarkus

Try this sorcerers
Apparently, dual wielding staves let's you do the weapon art on the left while encompassing the staff in the right with the effect as well. This should give you the boost to right handed spells that you would get by using a weapon art. I've yet to test it, but it looks promising. Use the Sage's Crystal Staff in the left hand and Court Sorcerer in the right.

horkrux

It's not as hard as it seems... And if you've gone so far, the worst part is behind you.
If you've killed champion g. you could equip the prisoner's chain: it's the sl1 easy mode!

Oh not yet, not yet. The worst is still to come at the very end. Took me hours to defeat Soul of Cinder.

RiggyRob

Killed the two Watchdogs of Farron around Farron Keep and the
Crystal Sage
boss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUHSCsKE6ME&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&index=30

This was a cool fight, not a fan of the
teleportation mind. It's a sage though, so I guess it makes sense - is there an actual sorcery in these games that let's you teleport (that isn't Homeward)
?

I'm really liking the Irithyll Straight Sword, as I can see why R1 spam is so effective in this game - the Great Scythe seems a bit more situational whereas the Irithyll sword is a great all-purpose weapon. Kinda reminds me of how much trouble I had with The Duke's Dear Freja trying to use a Zweihander, and when I switched back to the Fire Longsword I killed it no problem.

kaos.

Oh not yet, not yet. The worst is still to come at the very end. Took me hours to defeat Soul of Cinder.

Really? On my sl1, once equipped the prisoner's chain, the last boss was a piece of cake... I managed to beat him after few tries even if I did many mistakes during the fight.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm at the cathedral of the deep right now. just unlocked the first shortcut to the cleansing chapel bonfire. i almost didn't make it. i had used all 8 estus flasks and had a tiny bit of health left so had to use an ember. now at level 37 and got 8 estus +2.

Top Bottom