• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Toxi

Banned
God, fuck the enemy design in this game. Going from Bloodborne to Dark Souls 3, the enemies in DS3 are somehow more fast and aggressive.

I hate the fucking Grus that chain grab me. I hate the fucking Pontiff Knights that will sometimes spam the ridiculous overhead slash. I hate the fucking Cathedral Knights that never stop attacking.

Dark Souls 3 - Top Ten Team Kills! (2)

Good stuff.

God, fuck the enemy design in this game. Going from Bloodborne to Dark Souls 3, the enemies in DS3 are somehow more fast and aggressive.

I hate the fucking Grus that chain grab me. I hate the fucking Pontiff Knights that will sometimes spam the ridiculous overhead slash. I hate the fucking Cathedral Knights that never stop attacking.

I can't wait until you come across the jailers...

lyCUq.gif

RiggyRob

Made our way to the Cleansing Chapel and explored the Cathedral of the Deep graveyard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=_1Sgqs8bDyM

It might be just because I'm not feeling that great right now, but those vomit noises the corpses make in the graveyard is fucking disgusting, it's giving me a really visceral reaction to it. Props to the audio design department though, they did an excellent job.

We have dubbed the Lothric slaves/Greirat lookalikes as Gargly-Drops, or Droppies as we'll most likely call them from now on. They seem to be everywhere as well, which makes sense if they're slaves. Are the wandering corpses supposed to have been the sacrifices to be given to Aldrich?

I'm a bit disappointed that we explored a massive area of Cathedral of the Deep and we didn't actually get inside the Cathedral, but at least we unlocked the ladder shortcut.

Tarkus

Any DLC news?
Yesterday, I saw that the first DLC may come out at the end of this month. The website didn't seem that credible though, so I would just plan on a September release.

Some of my favorite recent Dark Souls 3 videos:
Cosplay Duels II: Twin Princes by DamnNoHtml
I've been watching Scott a good bit lately. Do you know if he is sick or something? He kinda looks a little sickly in his videos.

Jombie

This will be the only Souls-related DLC that I can't muster much excitement for. I tried playing it a little bit for the first time in three months and it just bores me to tears; I don't know if I have the energy to start a new playthrough for the DLC. If it doesn't look starkly different than the vanilla game then I probably won't bother. The game has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Manu

This will be the only Souls-related DLC that I can't muster much excitement for. I tried playing it a little bit for the first time in three months and it just bores me to tears; I don't know if I have the energy to start a new playthrough for the DLC. If it doesn't look starkly different than the vanilla game then I probably won't bother. The game has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'll bite. Why?

kaos.

I think that ds3 is just as boring as ds2... but for different reasons: mainly, while ds2 had a very annoying enemies' placement (they put aside the smart/well designed placement of ds1 and replaced it with, basically, "gank squads, gank squads everywhere") but it offered 4 different ways to start the game, ds3 has a good enemy placement (definitely better than ds2) but the game is straightforward for almost the time, unless you trigger a certain boss fight early (and you are so skilled to defeat that boss).
So, in one hand, while playing ds2, i was constantly bored by fighting groups of 4 or 5 enemies at once, and, in the other hand, when i'm on ds3, i'm bored by doing always the same path with very little variations.
In short, imho, the re-playability of ds1 is still unmatched (also for many other reasons).

Jombie

I'll bite. Why?

For a myriad of reasons. The biggest is that it just feels like a chore to me -- having to trek through the same areas (as you have limited paths to choose from), anything other than straight swords feel underwhelming, only a few bosses I deem memorable and I find the level design boring and forgettable. All of the callbacks fell cold on me; after Bloodborne I wanted something fresh from Souls -- not the games I played from '09 and '11. For me, it's like watching your dad get drunk and talk about the good 'ol days while wearing his old letterman jacket.

These games have taken up a big part of my life since '11, was gaining a modicum of notoriety and 3 just kind of killed it all for me.

Manu

For a myriad of reasons. The biggest is that it just feels like a chore to me -- having to trek through the same areas (as you have limited paths to choose from), anything other than straight swords feel underwhelming, only a few bosses I deem memorable and I find the level design boring and forgettable. All of the callbacks fell cold on me; after Bloodborne I wanted something fresh from Souls -- not the games I played from '09 and '11. For me, it's like watching your dad get drunk and talk about the good 'ol days while wearing his old letterman jacket.

These games have taken up a big part of my life since '11, was gaining a modicum of notoriety and 3 just kind of killed it all for me.

Well, while I don't agree with most of your criticisms (to me DS3 was like a "greatest hits" of Souls, but in a good way) at least I can see where you're coming from, but in regards to the bolded: you should probably wait for From's next IP for that. You shouldn't have expected "fresh" from a game that was basically the third sequel to Demon's Souls.

I've beaten the game already, and to be honest I'm okay with the Jailers. I can handle gimmick enemies.

I just hate these combo-happy assholes.

I'm the opposite. Jailers are some rat bastards and deserve to die. The combo-happy enemies can be shut down rather easily with a shield (tbh pretty much every enemy in the game is shut down by a greatshield).

Made our way to the Cleansing Chapel and explored the Cathedral of the Deep graveyard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=_1Sgqs8bDyM

It might be just because I'm not feeling that great right now, but those vomit noises the corpses make in the graveyard is fucking disgusting, it's giving me a really visceral reaction to it. Props to the audio design department though, they did an excellent job.

I'll admit I didn't watch the whole video, but I found it really amusing how many things you guys got wrong within the first 5 mins alone. I'm allowed to make fun of you because I was even worse. The one piece of advice I will give you, because almost nobody figures it out on their own, is that you can stop the bleeding effect caused by the zombie worms if you equip a torch.

And yes, the zombie vomiting noise is absolutely disgusting.

I've been watching Scott a good bit lately. Do you know if he is sick or something? He kinda looks a little sickly in his videos.

From what I've watched of his Twitch stream (which isn't that much), I don't think he's the healthiest dude around. That might just be how he looks. He always seems to be tired... I wouldn't be surprised if he has depression issues. Depression seems really common among heavy gamers.

Toxi

Banned
I'm the opposite. Jailers are some rat bastards and deserve to die. The combo-happy enemies can be shut down rather easily with a shield (tbh pretty much every enemy in the game is shut down by a greatshield).
I tend to prefer dodging over shielding, so that's probably why they aggravate me so much.

I do like the Lothric Knights at least; they're tough but fair.

After Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and Bloodborne, there's every reason to think the DLC will massively improve the game.

grmlin

So can someone please explain what I have to do to get into PvP for the covenant items?

I played NG completely offline, as it was my first Dark Souls (after Bloodborne) and wanted to learn the game first.

Now I'm in NG+, went online, and nothing happens. I was invaded once in maybe 4 hours now (don't know exactly) and never summoned wearing one of the covenants.

Sorry if it's a noob-ish question, but is invading other people the way to go then? Will I get the dark moon things, too then?

Tarkus

So can someone please explain what I have to do to get into PvP for the covenant items?

I played NG completely offline, as it was my first Dark Souls (after Bloodborne) and wanted to learn the game first.

Now I'm in NG+, went online, and nothing happens. I was invaded once in maybe 4 hours now (don't know exactly) and never summoned wearing one of the covenants.

Sorry if it's a noob-ish question, but is invading other people the way to go then? Will I get the dark moon things, too then?
Most importantly, what soul level are you? The blue sentinel item is hard to get regardless. I see Anor Londo in your future.

grmlin

Most importantly, what soul level are you? The blue sentinel item is hard to get regardless. I see Anor Londo in your future.

130-ish or something... so it's better to do that with a NG-character? I'll start a new playthrough then, I think. I tried Anor Londo and this shit is ridiculous. No way I'll farm that.

Tarkus

130-ish or something... so it's better to do that with a NG-character? I'll start a new playthrough then, I think. I tried Anor Londo and this shit is ridiculous. No way I'll farm that.
Oh shit, I thought I responded to this. Guess it didn't go through. Blue Sentinel summons are much more common at higher levels now, but they still suck. 40-100 is probably the best for Blue Sentinels. All in all, it's faster(lol) to farm the Proofs.

I found it fairly easy to get Vertebra Shackles by invading and dueling.

Dregs are easy to get because Aldrich Faithful is still very active. A lot of people "host" there with their phantoms just to fight a group of Aldrich invaders. They're not bad to farm either.

Watchdog covenant is something I'm not so sure about now. I wouldn't think it would be very active because people want to get out of the area as soon as possible and there are less people playing a new game now. The drop rate for Swordgrass is shit, but not as bad as Proofs.

Pale Tongues are easy to get from invading or dueling. I have the maximum possible on one character and around 300 on another. I think you can farm them but it's not necessary. Put your red sign down after Pontiff's bonfire off to the right. You'll get mostly one on one duels.

RiggyRob

Explored the inside of Cathedral of the Deep - Part 32 & Part 33.

I know the Cathedral is technically big enough for it, but I really have to question the logistics of why there are
giants in the cathedral. How on earth did they get in? Did they build the cathedral around them?

Does anyone fight the giant spider creature that drops Aldrich's Sapphire legitimately i.e. with melee? There's absolutely no point to try and fight it normally considering it does petrification/curse.

Also very glad that Undead Hunter Charms/Lloyds Talismans work the same way against Mimics here as in DS2 - it's actually kinda endearing watching their sleeping animation and sounds.

I'll admit I didn't watch the whole video, but I found it really amusing how many things you guys got wrong within the first 5 mins alone. I'm allowed to make fun of you because I was even worse. The one piece of advice I will give you, because almost nobody figures it out on their own, is that you can stop the bleeding effect caused by the zombie worms if you equip a torch.

And yes, the zombie vomiting noise is absolutely disgusting.

In fairness, there aren't any subtle clues that the bleed effect stops when you use a torch to get rid of the leeches like in DS2.

At least in Brightstone Cove Tseldora the lit torches making the spiders docile was a visual thing that you could put 2 and 2 together to figure out torches mean the spiders don't attack you, here there is literally nothing to explain it.

grmlin

Oh shit, I thought I responded to this. Guess it didn't go through. Blue Sentinel summons are much more common at higher levels now, but they still suck. 40-100 is probably the best for Blue Sentinels. All in all, it's faster(lol) to farm the Proofs.

I found it fairly easy to get Vertebra Shackles by invading and dueling.

Dregs are easy to get because Aldrich Faithful is still very active. A lot of people "host" there with their phantoms just to fight a group of Aldrich invaders. They're not bad to farm either.

Watchdog covenant is something I'm not so sure about now. I wouldn't think it would be very active because people want to get out of the area as soon as possible and there are less people playing a new game now. The drop rate for Swordgrass is shit, but not as bad as Proofs.

Pale Tongues are easy to get from invading or dueling. I have the maximum possible on one character and around 300 on another. I think you can farm them but it's not necessary. Put your red sign down after Pontiff's bonfire off to the right. You'll get mostly one on one duels.

Thank you very much for the help!

I'll try that, but farming those silver knights is faster than PvP? Thats clearly broken then. :(

Tarkus

Thank you very much for the help!

I'll try that, but farming those silver knights is faster than PvP? Thats clearly broken then. :(
Tbh, I dont know the summon rate on lower levels. Hopefully it's better than the rate at 120. I can get about 4-6 Proofs per hour by farming though.

Mistel

Banned
Tbh, I dont know the summon rate on lower levels. Hopefully it's better than the rate at 120. I can get about 4-6 Proofs per hour by farming though.
120 to 130 seems to be the place where it peters out past with very little in the upper echelons least from what I've seen.

I'm still done playing the regular game, but I've done lots of co-op as a Sunbro phantom this week. I've found that for most bosses, playing as a pure sorcerer is the best way to help people out. I can dish out a shit ton of damage from a safe distance, and I keep my equip load below 30% so I can fast roll away whenever I pull aggro. I've helped many people defeat Nameless King and Soul of Cinder with my nukes. It feels nice to help people.

In fairness, there aren't any subtle clues that the bleed effect stops when you use a torch to get rid of the leeches like in DS2.

At least in Brightstone Cove Tseldora the lit torches making the spiders docile was a visual thing that you could put 2 and 2 together to figure out torches mean the spiders don't attack you, here there is literally nothing to explain it.

Yeah it's a little unfair; I never would have figured it out on my own. I only figured it out because there were 2 message signs that said "torch required ahead" and "try torch" near the zombie monster. Thank you Dark Souls community.

Toxi

Banned
Does anyone fight the giant spider creature that drops Aldrich's Sapphire legitimately i.e. with melee? There's absolutely no point to try and fight it normally considering it does petrification/curse.
I did. He's not really that bad because his attacks are super predictable, and the curse is easy to avoid.

I fought it melee on my first 2 playthroughs. After that I just cheesed it because its too gross looking to fight up close
and it killed me more times than I care to admit

Caja 117

So, I got a spoiler, a small one which I didnt mind at all, and it was
the Smoldering lake
, if I hadnt read it, I probably wouldn't had gone to it in my current playtrough, is there any hints about this place existence in the game?

Also, Do you guys recommend me to do this before going to the profane capital (Im a pyromancer)

The spider in the Cathedral is the same enemy as in Anor Londo no? It is funny I usually cheese the one in Cathedral but just melee the one in Anor Londo. Maybe it just seems scarier earlier in the game. It doesn't have that much HP iirc.

So, I got a spoiler, a small one which I didnt mind at all, and it was
the Smoldering lake
, if I hadnt read it, I probably wouldn't had gone to it in my current playtrough, is there any hints about this place existence in the game?

Also, Do you guys recommend me to do this before going to the profane capital (Im a pyromancer)
I usually do it as soon as I'm in the
Catacombs
, it's not a particularly difficult area the enemies follow on logically from the preceeding area in terms of difficulty (although the casters in there are annoying) and the upgrade materials you find there suggest you should do it earlier than later. As for hints, the way down there is a big clue since you can see items at the bottom of that huge drop.

Im currently watching ENB's playthrough of Dark Souls 3. While I find his take on the series lore insightful and love how in depth his videos get, man do i wish he would just shut up and just play the fucking game sometimes. Man can he make excuses. Just finished watching him getting his ass kicked by Pontiff about 20 or so times and when he finally beats him he talks about how we could have beaten him after the third attempt.

Jesus. Just admit Pontiff was hard and you got your ass kicked. Its Dark Souls. Its why we play these games.

Im currently watching ENB's playthrough of Dark Souls 3. While I find his take on the series lore insightful and love how in depth his videos get, man do i wish he would just shut up and just play the fucking game sometimes. Man can he make excuses. Just finished watching him getting his ass kicked by Pontiff about 20 or so times and when he finally beats him he talks about how we could have beaten him after the third attempt.

Jesus. Just admit Pontiff was hard and you got your ass kicked. Its Dark Souls. Its why we play these games.

I watched a decent amount of his playthrough, and what annoyed me the most was how bored he sounded the entire time. I don't expect (or want) every "Let's Play" YouTuber to be like PewDiePie, but have some charisma for fuck's sake. DamnNoHtml can also come off as bored/depressed, but still he's way more animated than ENB. The only reason I watched more than 1 of ENB's videos is that yeah, watching him connect the dots with the lore as he went through the game was cool and impressive.

I watched a decent amount of his playthrough, and what annoyed me the most was how bored he sounded the entire time. I don't expect (or want) every "Let's Play" YouTuber to be like PewDiePie, but have some charisma for fuck's sake. DamnNoHtml can also come off as bored/depressed, but still he's way more animated than ENB. The only reason I watched more than 1 of ENB's videos is that yeah, watching him connect the dots with the lore as he went through the game was cool and impressive.

If youre in the mood for a more lighthearted and fun playthrough of the series check out the videos of Mr. Odd.

RiggyRob

Wandered around the Cathedral of the Deep a bit more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAfhLTucInE&index=35&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5

Fucking
Patches. I knew it wasn't Siegward in that armour, but I couldn't tell if I'd heard the voice before. I do wonder what that cutscene's like if you've already killed the giants though.

Saint Bident looks awesome, but I'm not so sure I actually like its moveset/spear weapons all that much. Straight swords seem to be very noob friendly and effective in DS3.

I did. He's not really that bad because his attacks are super predictable, and the curse is easy to avoid.

lol, seriously? All the time...

Tag quote!

I fought it melee on my first 2 playthroughs. After that I just cheesed it because its too gross looking to fight up close
and it killed me more times than I care to admit

Hooray, someone just like me!

I didn't think the melee vs. cheese debate would be a big talking point.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just cleared the cathedral of the deep.
that boss was pathetic and so easy. just hit the one glowing red. the others or the fireballs did little damage. probably the easiest boss in any of the dark souls games so far! that's the first time i thought "that's it?" when VICTORY ACHIEVED appeared.
i managed to level up a bit though and using the drang set i found in the cathedral. still using my starting shield and my claymore is at +4 now. went and explored the firelink tower after buying the key so got a new estus shard/ring which is cool.

after doing those 2 areas all i have to say is: Fuck Patches.

Breads

Banned
What's a fun pvp meta?

SL 110 is exhausting. Too much hp. Too much stamina. Runners and gank squads for days (thanks for that BB/DS3 rule for coop FROM). This is the kind of feeling I got in DS2 at SL 200+ so maybe there is a lower SL lvl meta that has the kind of pvp I prefer.

RiggyRob

Confronted Patches after he very rudely kicked me off the bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbIDBxG5dzQ&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&index=36

The Black Leather Armour is a reference to Patches, right? 'Friends and enemies alike respect him'? I originally thought it was Pate's armour from DS2 but you don't get his helm. Cheeky sod has the gall to sell the Catarina set after wearing it to trick us too.

Looking forward to seeing what comes out of 24th August! Is there going to be a DLC OT by the way?

Tarkus

Confronted Patches after he very rudely kicked me off the bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbIDBxG5dzQ&list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&index=36

The Black Leather Armour is a reference to Patches, right? 'Friends and enemies alike respect him'? I originally thought it was Pate's armour from DS2 but you don't get his helm. Cheeky sod has the gall to sell the Catarina set after wearing it to trick us too.

Looking forward to seeing what comes out of 24th August! Is there going to be a DLC OT by the way?
You should buy said Catarina set should the well ever run dry

Pate wears the warrior gear from DS1 doesn't he, or a variation on it at least.

edit - I hate when an off topic quick reply I make hits the top of the next page!

Tarkus

I don't know if this was ever posted in here or if a thread was made about it. Sounds to me like the next patch or two will bring a return of the poise mechanic. Rejoice!

Top Bottom