• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Toxi

Banned
First time I've ever heard this and they're more than fair. It's easy to get a +4 weapon beforehand, they're easy to backstab and they have a relatively low health pool. If anything, they could stand to be a bit harder.
Agreed. I often intentionally gimp myself going into the fight to make it last longer.

Kyzon

Freida. Favorite boss in the series outside of O+S, but also the boss I have the most problems with. lol

Edit: Anyone up to help me with her on xbone?

Edit: Nvm, finally took her out again.

dove into a DS3 NG last night after playing through DeS. feels so good to play DS3, and i am still blown away by how good it just looks. it feels like they really improved performance on PC since first release.

bremon

Just started my first play through of this last weekend. Loving it so far (though I knew I would). I was waiting for things to be patched up and needed a break from these games (sitting on edge exploring isn't always the best feeling when you want to relax after work). I thought the tutorial area boss was the best in the series thus far. At this point I'm only through the High Wall of Lothric area. I was summoned as a helper for the Dancer, which seemed like a boss that's meant to be done later on lol. I have 2 sun bro medals so far though. I thought the "dog" was an interesting enough boss for the first real level.

So far, as usual with these games, I upgrade my weapon (+3 so far), and put my stat points into Vigor and Endurance. I'm going through this thread slowly but surely, but in the meantime are there any stand out tips for early game? Any significant changes to mechanics from the others in the series I should know about? Any garbage stats (vitality and luck maybe?). Likely doing Str build with just a touch of Dex. Any feelings on which school of magic is best and which is worst?

I was excited to pick up a halberd early but it seems a touch slow, I used it and mirdan hammer in demons, then halberd and gargoyle halberd in DS1, hunters axe in BB, but mace in DS2. As you can see I really like the halberd, but I don't think I'll bother this time around.

Just started my first play through of this last weekend. Loving it so far (though I knew I would). I was waiting for things to be patched up and needed a break from these games (sitting on edge exploring isn't always the best feeling when you want to relax after work). I thought the tutorial area boss was the best in the series thus far. At this point I'm only through the High Wall of Lothric area. I was summoned as a helper for the Dancer, which seemed like a boss that's meant to be done later on lol. I have 2 sun bro medals so far though. I thought the "dog" was an interesting enough boss for the first real level.

So far, as usual with these games, I upgrade my weapon (+3 so far), and put my stat points into Vigor and Endurance. I'm going through this thread slowly but surely, but in the meantime are there any stand out tips for early game? Any significant changes to mechanics from the others in the series I should know about? Any garbage stats (vitality and luck maybe?). Likely doing Str build with just a touch of Dex. Any feelings on which school of magic is best and which is worst?

I was excited to pick up a halberd early but it seems a touch slow, I used it and mirdan hammer in demons, then halberd and gargoyle halberd in DS1, hunters axe in BB, but mace in DS2. As you can see I really like the halberd, but I don't think I'll bother this time around.

Luck surprisingly isn't useless on this game, although I think they nerfed the weapons that utilise it slightly since I last played. Bleed weapons work well with luck, and there's a couple of good weapons for that, including one that drops in the area after High Wall of Lothric. Bleed absolutely wrecks a load of things in this game though. I'm not sure if it was like that in the other ones, but if you use items or spells to further enhance bleed damage, and just lay into enemies and bosses, it'll take massive chunks of their HP away. A luck build works best if you actually plan it out/make that the focus of it though in my opinion, rather than making a strength build with a couple of points thrown into luck.

The Dancer is indeed meant to be done much later in the game.

As for early tips, I'm not really sure that there's really anything different on this game compared to the others. I guess the
mad
phantoms are a new thing, which are phantoms that are
purple in colour, and are basically neutral, as they can attack any other player. So you could find one who will just attack you on sight, one could help you clear a level, or one could help you clear a level then lol you at the boss fog. It's basically up to the player playing as them.
Other than that, there's not really anything new really, aside from weapon arts and the blue Estus, which will have already been explained.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Sorry about the noob question, but I can get invaded even playing offline? Its a bot or something? Is it related the covenant I'm currently using?

Hollycat

Sorry about the noob question, but I can get invaded even playing offline? Its a bot or something? Is it related the covenant I'm currently using?
There are specific places in the game that will spawn an NPC invader if you are embered. Once you defeat them they're gone for good from that spot, so all you have to do is beat them once.

Off the top of my head the following places have an NPC invader regardless of quests completed:

Broken bridge in undead settlement: opposite of tiny sewer.
In between the distant manse and the irithyl dungeon
When you enter the swamp above farrons keep.
(If you beat her she will show up in the next area as well over by the basilisks)
The catacombs past the second ball, but only if you open up the shortcut. This guy later reappears in the demon ruins near the basilisks regardless of whether you defeat him or not. I think if you die to him in the catacombs he may not reinvade.

There's also an NPC you can team up against on the bridge to the boreal valley, and he will invade you in a cemetery for revenge if you beat him.

There's also plenty of human enemies who aren't invaders but still only have to be killed once.
Two above farrons keep,
Two after the Pontiff
Three above the archives
And a Havel.

There are a few more. But they tend it be quest related

bremon

I'm really liking the undead settlement. I'm a sun bro now lol, and a jolly cooperator adventured with me today for half an hour, got me through a few more bonfires. Made it to the courtyard with messages that said "God ahead" and something about a tree so I take it that's the courtyard from one of the trailers with the big tree. I high tailed it out of there. Much exploring yet to do in this area before I keep moving. That area with the giant spears or whatever raining down on you was a bit annoying lol. 1 NPC invader and 2 red phantoms during jolly coop but we prevailed, it was a fun session despite only being about 45 minutes total. Looking forward to more progress tomorrow.

Sarcasm

I really need to play and beat demon souls. I have it and started it but never got far.

Is there a way to CoOp with a buddy?

I finally caved in and bought the Ashes of Ariandel DLC for $15. Hella expensive but whatever it is the last Souls content I've never played/ platinumed.

I started it on NG+3, LVL240 (thanks, covenant ears farming!).

It is not exactly easy nor hard but stuff takes a while to kill and hits like a truck (I wear full Havel's Set + Havel's Shield + Fume +5, 99 VIT). I ran out of vials pretty soon. Still I am very afraid of the DLC boss on NG+3! He will probably wreck me 20 times at least.

After 2 hours I've managed to knock down those two trees in the forest to open two shortcuts and got back to the Chapel via the blood basement. I think I am getting close to the end of the DLC, no?

And man... I thought Dark Souls 3 was fast compared to molasses Dark Souls 2... but coming back from Bloodborne DS3 is super slow. The enemies are super slow. All their attacks have very long wind ups etc. The wolves in the DLC? Give me a break. Bloodborne dogs run and attack three times faster! My character moves like a tank. Too slow!!!

Having normal backstabs back is a blessing though! I missed that so much.

EDIT: and to be honest it is a total bore-fest. Just need to be done with it.

In Demon's soul?

Thought that was only ds3. Ds2 has a ring type of password system but it isn't too unique as create own passwords.

Sorry, I can't read.
Demon's Souls should probably be dead enough that you can find your co-op partner by putting your sign down somewhere and letting them know where it is. I played a bit of co-op in like March 2015, and aside from one person who ended up joining my co-op partner, we just put a sign down and told each other where it was. There's a low chance that someone else will join you.

I can't remember exactly how co-op works on DeS, but I think a phantom uses a blue eye stone, then a player who is alive uses the sign to invite them to their game, and then they beat the level and boss. I think there might be a limitation in that the alive player can't invite a phantom if they've cleared the boss of the area, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
There are specific places in the game that will spawn an NPC invader if you are embered. Once you defeat them they're gone for good from that spot, so all you have to do is beat them once.

Off the top of my head the following places have an NPC invader regardless of quests completed:

Broken bridge in undead settlement: opposite of tiny sewer.
In between the distant manse and the irithyl dungeon
When you enter the swamp above farrons keep.
(If you beat her she will show up in the next area as well over by the basilisks)
The catacombs past the second ball, but only if you open up the shortcut. This guy later reappears in the demon ruins near the basilisks regardless of whether you defeat him or not. I think if you die to him in the catacombs he may not reinvade.

There's also an NPC you can team up against on the bridge to the boreal valley, and he will invade you in a cemetery for revenge if you beat him.

There's also plenty of human enemies who aren't invaders but still only have to be killed once.
Two above farrons keep,
Two after the Pontiff
Three above the archives
And a Havel.

There are a few more. But they tend it be quest related
Got it. Thanks a lot!

high_lord_wolnir__dark_souls_3_by_glv_da-db0zcfm.png

Pinched it from reddit naturally.

So I got to nexus in Demon's Souls.

Anything I need to remember/tips? Tell me even with spoilers please lol.

4-1 has an easy boss, a shortcut that skips a lot of the level, and that curved sword that has the ability to passively regen your MP, so that's always a good starting area.
If you open the gate to the left at the start of 1-1, you can farm grass in that area/killing those enemies that warp in for Souls.
1-2, 2-1, and 4-1 are probably the easiest areas to start with, and aside from Flamelurker in 2-2 (who I never found hard at all and killed on my first go on my playthrough, because I prefer to struggle with easy bosses), you can probably get through the entirety of the 2nd archstone, as it doesn't really have any big difficulty spikes (unless of course you struggle with Flamelurker).

I think I went:
1-1
Can't remember between 1-2 or 4-1
2-1
2-2
2-3
3-1
3-2
3-3
5-1
4-2
4-3
5-2
5-3
1-3
1-4

That route puts the more annoying areas at the end (not necessarily the more difficult ones mind you). I'd recommend going to 4-2 ASAP for Patches though, even if you don't clear it.

If only the boss fight were half as good as that pic. One of the worst in the series.

That boss always remind me of the Golden Axe character select screen.

I haven't played the game since November. Jumping back in for two reasons.

DLC is coming and with it the
Desert Sorceress set
, so since I have no idea where the entrance is I'm completing my current NG+ run and since I killed Yuria in this run to get a certain gesture (I think), anyway, I killed her to get something. I jump into NG++ with her alive.

kleJ2jJ.gif

It's funny because we've all been there. Had that happen to me on NK and was so salty.

Haven't played this game in a while but man, watching that clip reminded me that the Dancer fight is just gorgeous. The fiery room, the flowy gravity-defying veil, the music -- all so good.

The Fallen Knight armor + point down gesture really adds insult to injury.

Sarcasm

4-1 has an easy boss, a shortcut that skips a lot of the level, and that curved sword that has the ability to passively regen your MP, so that's always a good starting area.
If you open the gate to the left at the start of 1-1, you can farm grass in that area/killing those enemies that warp in for Souls.
1-2, 2-1, and 4-1 are probably the easiest areas to start with, and aside from Flamelurker in 2-2 (who I never found hard at all and killed on my first go on my playthrough, because I prefer to struggle with easy bosses), you can probably get through the entirety of the 2nd archstone, as it doesn't really have any big difficulty spikes (unless of course you struggle with Flamelurker).

I think I went:
1-1
Can't remember between 1-2 or 4-1
2-1
2-2
2-3
3-1
3-2
3-3
5-1
4-2
4-3
5-2
5-3
1-3
1-4

That route puts the more annoying areas at the end (not necessarily the more difficult ones mind you). I'd recommend going to 4-2 ASAP for Patches though, even if you don't clear it.

That boss always remind me of the Golden Axe character select screen.

Thanks..though I can't find World 4 lol

Chitown B

kleJ2jJ.gif

It's funny because we've all been there. Had that happen to me on NK and was so salty.

Haven't played this game in a while but man, watching that clip reminded me that the Dancer fight is just gorgeous. The fiery room, the flowy gravity-defying veil, the music -- all so good.

The Fallen Knight armor + point down gesture really adds insult to injury.

yup and yup :)

Just 1000GS the game. Moving on to Zelda

The DLC is not so bad after all. I was just having trouble readjusting coming from Bloodborne.

I can now appreciate the level design which is pretty damn solid: lots of secrets, shortcuts, hidden yet obvious paths etc.

There is also alot of new loot (useless when you don Havel's) and even spells!

Should never been $15, though.

Oh man.. I have a really hard time getting from Nioh back to Dark Souls 3.

I actually have no much problem with going back to a game. But the pace from very fast to Dark Souls 3 is a bit too high..

I hope I get the gameplay feel back.

Milijango

Oh man.. I have a really hard time getting from Nioh back to Dark Souls 3.

I actually have no much problem with going back to a game. But the pace from very fast to Dark Souls 3 is a bit too high..

I hope I get the gameplay feel back.

I actually found the enemies in Nioh to be pretty slow. The aggression of Dark Souls 3 and (especially) Bloodborne enemies is a lot more to deal with for me, though that's partially because they're more numerous and harder to interrupt.

I actually found the enemies in Nioh to be pretty slow. The aggression of Dark Souls 3 and (especially) Bloodborne enemies is a lot more to deal with for me, though that's partially because they're more numerous and harder to interrupt.

I was actually talking about the movement. In Nioh you could basically dash all around like crazy and recover your Ki fast back and not to mention the 60fps.

I find it very suprising to see how slow stamina goes back to full.

I also wanted to experiment a bit with Friede's Great Scythe. It seems like a cool weapon.

As someone whose first (interrupted due to a deleted save) runthrough involved using a lot of Embers for the herpes tree, it feels satisfying putting him down by myself this time.

I remember not enjoying the upcoming sections; anything I should do or avoid?

Friede boss is such bullshit, Jesus.

Never made to the 3rd phase with more than 2 Estus left. Then it's game over of course.

Way harder than Orphan or Ludwig. At least I don't have to farm Estus as it reloads when I die...

The Monumental? I always thought it was he, a young boy - at least in body.

Yeah, he's male. I remember how he sort of looked, but I couldn't remember if he was an old woman or a young boy. After the hour it took to find him, I wasn't paying much attention when I spoke to him.

grmlin

Never made to the 3rd phase with more than 2 Estus left. Then it's game over of course.

Way harder than Orphan or Ludwig. At least I don't have to farm Estus as it reloads when I die...
Never a good sign if the way to a boss is this short 😬

Jombie

It's overkill, imo. I find the second phase extremely annoying -- Friede spams the frostbite aoe, she can attack through Ariendel and Ariandel can be a giant hurtbox . As far the third phase goes, I punish her blackflame jump attack and the move where she glides towards you. I don't enjoy it very much.

Fuck you.

6-03-2017_1-36-42_amtvld0.png

Just FUCK YOU

This boss was no joke in NG+++. After 2 hours of hitting a wall it forced me to:

- reroll my LVL240 character (and farm Pale Tongues before that, Jesus Christ...)

I went from 55 STR, 99 VIT (for Havel's), 50 VGR to something about 75 STR, 60 VIT, 60 VGR. That Havel build was a joke I created back in May 2016 in NG+++ after I platinumed the game and got like 10M souls from ears farming. And because I was bored. It just was not viable for Friede - not viable AT ALL.

- drop the Shield like every single hard boss in the series (Fume, Orphan, Keeper of Old Lords, Aava, Flamelurker etc.) and go to town 2H-ing my FUGS+5. In the end I was using full Gundyr's set + stamina regen shield on my back + Fume's +5 greatsword.

- use my one and only Divine Blessing during the fight because I was close to going insane with this boss who was the last boss in the entire Soulsborne series I haven't beaten yet

- equip Siegbrau (as seen on the screen above) for the first time ever ready to be used when I run out of Estus

- use 3 Embers in 3 tries

I was always losing Estus in all phases. Phase I - 2 to 3 Estus, Phase II - 3 to 4 Estus, Phase III - all of them. My hands were literally shaking when she had about 20% health left and I had to use Divine Blessing and then switch on the D-PAD to Siegbrau and then focus back on the main fight.

I literally shouted out loud @ 2:00 AM here when I got her.

PHEW... the Wolf boss was 100x easier as I could simply block all his lunges with Havel.

---

That's it. I am 100%, certified, done with Soulsborne series before the 2nd DS3 DLC hits. I have all platinums, all trophies, all DLCs done. Always solo, never parried.

I kind of shiver when I think about having to beat those leaked DLC#2 bosses on NG+++... oh well. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

bremon

Having fun at Farron's Keep. Coop with a friend in Road of Sacrifices was tons of fun as well with many invasions by Watchdogs. This is turning into one of those great games that consumes my thoughts while I'm at work, etc. which I wanted it to be, but wasn't as optimistic after not being obsessed with DS2. Managed to join watchdogs and rain on someone else's parade a bit to share the love! Also, the Sage was such a punching bag...pillars were easy to use to hide from his clones too.

Top Bottom