• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My friend took a group picture of our little posse from last night xD His character is the Asian-looking lady at the front, mine is the disinterested old lady at the back xD

13177578_10154270812798755_5292121758171583207_n.jpg

Ferr986

The levels often have some disappointments though, mostly good, some less so.

DS1: Royal Woods was underwhelming. Recycled and not that fun to explore. Oolacile Township was nice, but a bit linear. And the Chasm of the Abyss was also not that great. (Bosses were all stellar though!)

DS2: Mostly all good. The "bonus" areas kind of suck. Iron Passage can fuck right off, worst part of the whole game for me. I don't even hate the Frigid Outskirts as much as Iron Passage haha. But the main levels are great. I am a bit annoyed at Eleum Loyce not being coop-able the second time around though (after you remove the storm) without using shades, it's a bit annoying for coop runs.

Bloodborne: Hunter's Nightmare recycles a lot of assets (and justifies it with "it's a nightmare level! lore blah blah!") and even some enemies (the blood ticks). It's fun to explore though. And Research Hall and Fishing Hamlet are fantastic at least.

So without considering the bosses, funnily enough I dare say Artorias of the Abyss is the weakest DLC. XD Of course, it has like, 3 of the best bosses of the whole series, so that makes up for it.

Agree 100% (although I really loved Oolacile Tonwship, but I guess it's more because of atmosphere).

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just started playing (finally!) but the frame rate feels bad (I am on latest patch) on PS4. And I am the kind who rarely notices these things. The camera movement feels jerky. Anyone else faced that?

Sullichin

The levels often have some disappointments though, mostly good, some less so.

DS1: Royal Woods was underwhelming. Recycled and not that fun to explore. Oolacile Township was nice, but a bit linear. And the Chasm of the Abyss was also not that great. (Bosses were all stellar though!)

DS2: Mostly all good. The "bonus" areas kind of suck. Iron Passage can fuck right off, worst part of the whole game for me. I don't even hate the Frigid Outskirts as much as Iron Passage haha. But the main levels are great. I am a bit annoyed at Eleum Loyce not being coop-able the second time around though (after you remove the storm) without using shades, it's a bit annoying for coop runs.

Bloodborne: Hunter's Nightmare recycles a lot of assets (and justifies it with "it's a nightmare level! lore blah blah!") and even some enemies (the blood ticks). It's fun to explore though. And Research Hall and Fishing Hamlet are fantastic at least.

So without considering the bosses, funnily enough I dare say Artorias of the Abyss is the weakest DLC. XD Of course, it has like, 3 of the best bosses of the whole series, so that makes up for it.

Agreed but I haven't spent much time in the last Dark Souls 2 DLC. I remember not liking Frigid Outskirts and never finished the last DLC :( I should really go back and do that at some point. Crazy I haven't done that...

Artorias of the Abyss areas were underwhelming for sure. The boss fights make up for it as you say. Ooacile has some nice design but I wasn't the biggest fan of the aesthetic. Chasm is fine as it brings the best humanity farming spot in the game :D

With Dark Souls 3 DLC though, I want stuff more like Fishing Hamlet and Research hall over "remixed" stuff like Hunter's Nightmare, or dare I say a god damn Blue Smelter Demon.

But if the DLC let you fight
Ornstein and Smough in Anor Londo
again, I would be very happy.

thefil

But if the DLC let you fight
Ornstein and Smough in Anor Londo
again, I would be very happy.

There's actually a trick to fight them again already. You have to
replay Dark Souls 1, which is still a great game and doesn't need to be reproduced in its entirety

Sullichin

replay Dark Souls 1, which is still a great game and doesn't need to be reproduced in its entirety

Yea I get that.. I tried that one weird trick and it worked flawlessly. But it would make an awesome bonus.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Agreed. I'd be OK with some sort of throwback tribute thing somehow but not in the form of a recycled boss fight.

Skii

ENB fighting Pontiff is everything I hoped for.

Love the excuses too - 'I wasn't really expecting to beat him this time'

He's getting wrecked and just playing it off like "I'm not really trying at the moment" lmao.

It took me 7 tries but it's definitely the hardest boss I've faced so far. Extremely aggressive until you finally learn where to dodge.

OneUh8

I'm late but just finished the game for the first time. really enjoyed it. not sure I have it in me for more playthrough though. got many games on my to do list and some big ones coming up. I'll probably come back to it when the DLC hits.

HardRojo

Framerate goes to shit on PS4 when Pontiff summons a clone lol, it's actually making this fight harder than usual. This is the fourth time I'm going to try to beat him.
Edit: Just beat him. Went ham on him when he was summoning and again when the phantom wasn't close.

LiK

ENB fighting Pontiff is everything I hoped for.

Love the excuses too - 'I wasn't really expecting to beat him this time'

i never actually studied his second form much cuz i was dodging like crazy. it looks so cool how he just does the attacks twice in a row with the phantom.

i knew Marcus would be loving the boss fights in this game. i think the final boss will make him tear up.

He's getting wrecked and just playing it off like "I'm not really trying at the moment" lmao.

It took me 7 tries but it's definitely the hardest boss I've faced so far. Extremely aggressive until you finally learn where to dodge.

yea, pretty tough to commentate while fighting a tough boss like him. i was hoping he would just shut up and concentrate. XD

Guys, where are all the good strength weapons?

Story-wise, I've just
beaten Aldrich
and I'm rolling with a +6 heavy Broadsword... It's decent but I want that awesome A scaling strength weapon but I've yet to find one. I've also got
Artorias' sword to +2 (I know it's called something else)
but I don't really like the moveset that much. It's in the awkward space of being a bit too slow but doesn't deal enough damage to warrant being slower than the medium swords.

Any suggestions on a good strength weapon? My strength is at 35.

I rock Great Club +8 in NG+ and it's alright. Kinda too slow so I have to learn again when to block and when to roll. I will switch to Fume's in NG++, though.

Daante

I love to make suicide by jumping off a cliff just after i finished helping someone with a boss Fight (and they can see it)

Dragonslayer Armor Fight is perfect for this

LEEROOY!

LogicStep

Finished the Platinum and am having a hard time putting this game down, still. The main reason is that pyromancy with a chaos & dark melee weapon is so, so good at endgame it's kind of silly. There are so many varied, OP options, I can't recommend the class/playstyle enough to anyone who wants to have a blast in PvE.
What weapons? I'm doing pyro, been using an estoc but haven't leveled it that high yet or infused.

LiK

Geez, I can't believe Marcus let the boss kill him on purpose just to learn the boss fight. I can't agree with that. Now he's just wasting time on camera. Hope he doesn't keep doing this for future boss fights.

Septimius

What weapons? I'm doing pyro, been using an estoc but haven't leveled it that high yet or infused.

You should always keep your main weapon leveled as highly as possible. The damage increase is about ten times more important than leveling up the relevant stat for your weapon, so throw your titanite at it.

2AdEPT

Does anyone feel that this game is rather.....easy? Not easy really, but not as difficult as the others? I don't know if I've finally got "gud", or if I just haven't reached the more challenging areas yet. In DS1, I would get my ass kicked by many bosses over and over again. Now? First try. Bosses are going down on one try, or two at most. I've beaten 8 bosses so far. I'm at the point when if I die, it's because I ran into a situation unprepared. I'm playing on a dex (melee only) build using a Sharp Uchigatana which I think is at +6 right now. 30 dex. Am I overpowered for where I am? I do love the game, and do find it challenging in that I need to be on my game so I don't die, but......I don't know.

NOpe, DS 2 had the easiest bosses of all three games. Not one boss in DS2 gave me trouble for more than 5 minutes, Darklurker the exception. The rest could be done without losing any health were one prepared to learn the attacks well enough. THis game, a no health run is hard with the stats you share...(which means your harder bosses are yet to come in end game) the pontiff stabs arbitrarily and faster than any boss previous...its like Fume on steroids. A lot of poeple based their difficulty of certain bosses not taking into consideration that leveling and weapon attack power makes a difference. SOme poeple can parry pontiff sulyvan in 2 parries and its over..so its an "easy" boss, but if you go full melee, no parries and no shield solo with a plus 6 weapon like you said, it will be demonstrably tougher first try....this is my fifrst real attempt after feeling it out in multipayer a couple times.

LiK

NOpe, DS 2 had the easiest bosses of all three games. Not one boss in DS2 gave me trouble for more than 5 minutes, Darklurker the exception. The rest could be done without losing any health were one prepared to learn the attacks well enough. THis game, a no health run is hard with the stats you share...(which means your harder bosses are yet to come in end game) the pontiff stabs arbitrarily and faster than any boss previous...its like Fume on steroids. A lot of poeple based their difficulty of certain bosses not taking into consideration that leveling and weapon attack power makes a difference. SOme poeple can parry pontiff sulyvan in 2 parries and its over..so its an "easy" boss, but if you go full melee, no parries and no shield solo with a plus 6 weapon like you said, it will be demonstrably tougher.

i dunno about you, but Smelter Demon was a fucking bitch to fight for me.

Skii

Geez, I can't believe Marcus let the boss kill him on purpose just to learn the boss fight. I can't agree with that. Now he's just wasting time on camera. Hope he doesn't keep doing this for future boss fights.

I don't know why he done that. He was literally one hit away from beating them. He had learnt the fight. This isn't a perfect SL1 run ffs. That was super frustrating.

Nephtes

Hm, this would be an interesting challenge along with fighting
Yhorm without Storm Ruler.

I DID THIS!
It took FOREVER!

Before I did he
Yhorm
fight, I offered my services as a Sunbro (to get re-embered and to see boss fight tactics), so I have no
Storm Ruler
in my inventory to even use.

The host summons another sunbro, he also doesn't have the prerequisit item for the fight... And neither does the host!

The fight starts, the host does not pick up
the Storm Ruler
and all 3 of us take turns poking the boss in the foot for what feels like 30 minutes... Boss finally goes down and I'm like, "there has to be some trick to this fight because that was ridiculous..."

I start the fight on my own,
Seigward
shows up and destroys him... -_-

zoukka

NOpe, DS 2 had the easiest bosses of all three games. Not one boss in DS2 gave me trouble for more than 5 minutes, Darklurker the exception. The rest could be done without losing any health were one prepared to learn the attacks well enough. THis game, a no health run is hard with the stats you share...(which means your harder bosses are yet to come in end game) the pontiff stabs arbitrarily and faster than any boss previous...its like Fume on steroids. A lot of poeple based their difficulty of certain bosses not taking into consideration that leveling and weapon attack power makes a difference. SOme poeple can parry pontiff sulyvan in 2 parries and its over..so its an "easy" boss, but if you go full melee, no parries and no shield solo with a plus 6 weapon like you said, it will be demonstrably tougher first try....this is my fifrst real attempt after feeling it out in multipayer a couple times.

Yeah I must've died like 10 times on pontiff... Dragonslayer Armour was a similar boss and gave me a lot of trouble. In turn I killed Crystal Sage and Aldrich on my first tries :b

Dimmle

You're either not including DLC bosses for DS2 or you are a much better Soulsman than I.

I also had an embarrassingly hard time with Smelter.

LiK

I don't know why he done that. He was literally one hit away from beating them. He had learnt the fight. This isn't a perfect SL1 run ffs. That was super frustrating.

Yea, he can save that for replays or challenge runs. There wasn't anything else to learn anyway. He already did well solo. Pontiff is easy to dodge up close but he kept dodging from a distance so that was the issue. Anyhoo, i don't mind him learning bosses usually but don't get a boss to a sliver of health and then intentionally die.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Holy shit. I just finished farming
Wolf's Blood Swordgrass
from the
Grhu
at
Farron Keep

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It took me around 4 hours to go from 2 or 3 to the 30 I needed. I was using the fatty armor and the Symbol of Avarice, Gold Serpent +1 and that item drop sword, while holding with both hands my Heavy Dark Sword +10. I went in, stomped the two first enemies, then deal with the third one. I'm sure there must be a more elegant way to deal with them, but it worked for me 9 times out of 10... when I wasn't completely stunlocked by those stupidly large spears.

Just how effective is Poise in this game? I remember "poise tanking" back in DS1, but my character always gets interrupted by hits, even at +30 Poise.

Took down D
ragonslayer
A
rmor
last night! That is one NASTY fight. Getting hit is incredibly punishing, and his attacks are hard to time properly. I spent a few hours as a Sunbro phantom helping people beat him before I fought him solo. I think it took me 4-5 tries.

Now I'm spending time as a Sunbro phantom helping people fight the T
win
P
rinces
. What a fun fight!

I DID THIS!
It took FOREVER!

Before I did he
Yhorm
fight, I offered my services as a Sunbro (to get re-embered and to see boss fight tactics), so I have no
Storm Ruler

The host summons another sunbro, he also doesn't have the prerequisit item for the fight... And neither does the host!

the Storm Ruler
and all 3 of us take turns poking the boss in the foot for what feels like 30 minutes... Boss finally goes down and I'm like, "there has to be some trick to this fight because that was ridiculous..."

Seigward

Here, I quoted it for the new page. ;) Funny story.

When the squad is on point

When the pre-bossfight party is lit

Just how effective is Poise in this game? I remember "poise tanking" back in DS1, but my character always gets interrupted by hits, even at +30 Poise.

It is literally useless. Literally.

I DID THIS!
It took FOREVER!

Before I did he
Yhorm
Storm Ruler

the Storm Ruler

Seigward

That is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom