• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III - PC Performance article

Parsnip

I have not determined yet what, if anything, a few of the settings do. However, e.g. the texture setting seems to do nothing if you just change it from the menu, but makes a pretty stark difference if you change it and reload.

Obviously, testing all the settings that way (ideally in multiple scenarios) is quite a lot of work.
This was exactly what I was suspecting, thanks.

Sanctuary

Just a heads up for those that care. GMG has 20% off Dark Souls 3 for both the normal and deluxe editions.

Thanks. Was actually waiting on a Paypal transfer to get this from Cdkeys, but I think I'll just spend the additional $4.00 and get it from GMG.

i5 4670
GTX 970
16GB RAM
W10

Running on MAX (on 1080P)...the starting area is ok, 55-60 fps mostly. However, after some hours of gameplay, I found myself in a place where the fps stays between 40-47. Changing the graphics to LOW did little to improve this. The game clearly needs more optimization if its to run at 60fps all the time.

Glad I upgraded. Was using a GTX 780, which is essentially a 970 that uses more power. I'm using basically the same processor too. K version, but I've actually yet to find any games that I play that need it to be overclocked for any improvements at all.

Even 45 FPS is noticeably better than 30 FPS.
If you tend to get drops to around 45 you can just cap it there and it'll be better than 30. People seem stuck on either 60 or 30. I used to cap games at 45 sometimes and didn't notice any problems with stuttering.

Right. Clearly a stable 60fps is the best option, but it's worse dropping from 60 to 45 than it is simply getting used to a stable 45.

Doubt my 3570k will do any better, then. Maybe it's time to start thinking about overclocking.

Maybe, but not necessarily for this game. The core wasn't even at 100% load, or even 90% before the framerate issues started.

Dereck

Just a heads up for those that care. GMG has 20% off Dark Souls 3 for both the normal and deluxe editions.
How or why is it that these websites like GMG and CDKeys can sell this game cheaper than Steam or Gamestop on PC, and it's OK?

I'm new to PC gaming

CHC

I think I might just say fuck it and lock to 30 with a big ass downsample on my GTX780. Sounds like a better deal than compromising on graphical quality for a 60 FPS that fluctuates anyway. 30 didn't stop me from enjoy Bloodborne or Demon's Souls so I think I'll be fine in this case.

Mifec

How or why is it that these websites like GMG and CDKeys can sell this game cheaper than Steam or Gamestop on PC, and it's OK?

I'm new to PC gaming

CDkeys buys the physical version in bulk from low cost/tier regions and sells it at this price while still turning a profit.

Durante

GMG generally has discounts in the range of 20-25% on new games, they can achieve that by sacrificing part of their own (usually 30%) retail margin.

A rare instance of competition actually working to the benefit of consumers!

Gbraga

When you say reload the game for settings to change, just a simple quit and load is enough, right? Or do I have to actually exit the thing?

Sanctuary

Because they sell the cd key printed on the box of the retail version?

Seems like a huge waste of resources if that's what they are doing.

Anyway, this is from Cdkeys at least:

6. Other Questions

Why are your products so cheap? Our management team have over thirty years of combined experience within the industry with an extensive network of suppliers and contacts from which to source products. We buy from all corners of the globe to ensure the cheapest possible prices and as we only sell products in digital form we're able to make significant savings on postage and related expenses - we then pass these reductions on to you, which ensures our pricing is the most competitive around!

Do you sell the physical games and boxes? Sorry, for ease of use and to provide the best service we currently only sell the digital version of products.
Which countries do you sell to? Since we are a digital only website we are able to sell instantly to any country in the world.
I have a question, how can I contact cdkeys? We aim to reply to all queries within approximately 1 hour. Please use the following form: Contact Us. Please do not send queries more than once as it will result in a delay to our response.

Doesn't look like they are buying physical anything.

Dereck

CDkeys buys the physical version in bulk from low cost/tier regions and sells it at this price while still turning a profit.

GMG generally has discounts in the range of 20-25% on new games, they can achieve that by sacrificing part of their own (usually 30%) retail margin.

A rare instance of competition actually working to the benefit of consumers!
Thanks, just bought it

Gbraga

Do you think 1440p at 60fps is possible on a 980ti? Max settings of course.

I'm dreaming, i know...

Given how the performance issues seem to be all CPU related, it wouldn't surprise me if it has the exact same performance at 1440p as it would at 1080p for you.

NIN90

Not to go too OT, but is CDkeys sending the keys before the release ?

They usually send keys anywhere between 2 days before release or on release day. Usually the day before release

They certainly do. I always get my codes sent in the form of scanned physical CD keys. I kinda doubt they'd print out their digital codes only to scan them.

Mifec

They give you a picture of the inbox cdkey when they give you a new game, so sure they are.

Sanctuary

They give you a picture of the inbox cdkey when they give you a new game, so sure they are.

They might be getting slips of paper with the key on it, but when someone says "physical copy", the majority of the time they are talking about the actual physical copy. Which is a disc. They can't be buying the physical (retail boxes) copies, because otherwise their statement about postage makes zero sense.

Durante

I'm really looking forward to actually being able to play the game, performing the same set of actions 16 times to perform different measurements gets old even in a game as good as Dark Souls :p

Adry9

I'm really looking forward to actually being able to play the game, performing the same set of actions 16 times to perform different measurements gets old even in a game as good as Dark Souls :p

Do enemies eventually stop reappearing like in DS2? XD

I'm excited to play Dark Souls III at 60fps. I have played only Bloodborne and the fps drops and frame pace issues were a let down despite the game being awesome. Can't wait to die many times at 60fps!!

😅😅😅

Jedi2016

Does the game have a benchmark utility? How does it compare to actual gameplay? I'd rather use that to tweak the settings for performance before I start the game proper, rather than tweaking and reloading the starting area a dozen times, you know?

They might be getting slips of paper with the key on it, but when someone says "physical copy", the majority of the time they are talking about the actual physical copy. Which is a disc. They can't be buying the physical (retail boxes) copies, because otherwise their statement about postage makes zero sense.

It does. It means they send us the code via email so they don't have to send us the disc via post, which costs money.

Not that confusing really.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I've ordered in the past from sites of their ilk and was emailed a photograph of a CD key.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Just as a heads up to others, the Dark Souls III key source on GMG is listed as: "Source: Authorised Distributor", meaning they aren't getting the keys directly from Bamco. This could mean they are getting and selling the keys through a similar method to CDKeys, rather than just getting cut margins on sale.

Some people aren't comfortable with that, so it's worth keeping in mind.

Durante

Does the game have a benchmark utility? How does it compare to actual gameplay? I'd rather use that to tweak the settings for performance before I start the game proper, rather than tweaking and reloading the starting area a dozen times, you know?
The game doesn't have a benchmark utility, but I very much doubt most people will need to spend a lot of time tweaking (especially after reading my article).

The reason I'm killing the same dude 16 times is because I want to present a full matrix of how the game behaves for different degrees of CPU parallelism and different CPU frequencies.

The game doesn't have a benchmark utility, but I very much doubt most people will need to spend a lot of time tweaking (especially after reading my article).

The reason I'm killing the same dude 16 times is because I want to present a full matrix of how the game behaves for different degrees of CPU parallelism and different CPU frequencies.

For the article, I'd be interested in a recommendation for Gsync vs ULMB.

Could somebody who knows about these things let me know how you think it would run on my PC?

12GB RAM
AMD FX 6350
2GB R9 270x

Could it get close to 60fps do you think?

Jedi2016

For the article, I'd be interested in a recommendation for Gsync vs ULMB.
Well, here's my take on it (completely uneducated, just my observations.. hehe):

I've got the Asus XB270HU, G-sync, 144Hz. As mentioned above, I think ULMB only works at fixed framerates (locked to the monitor) and can't work alongside G-sync because of the variable framerate. I read an article just now that says my monitor can run ULMB at 120Hz, which would work for a game that's locked to 60fps. But, apparently earlier versions of the monitor couldn't do it, so YMMV.

That said, this monitor doesn't seem to have any blurring issues at 60fps anyway.. I don't notice the effect until the framerate gets up around 100 or higher (probably because the monitor's refresh rate is so high to begin with.. G-sync monitors that cap at 60 may be a different story entirely). I've been playing DS1 at 60fps and it's flawless (thanks, Durante!). Given that the effect might not really exist for me, the choice of G-sync is obvious, since it will keep the game nice and smooth even if it dips down into the 40s or 50s, and none of it will have any motion artifacts from the monitor.

Ah, thanks to both of you. I misunderstand ULMB and thought it gave improvements at lower framerates as well. Looks like I'll just stick with GSync.

JRW

Will be interesting to see if my trusty (old-timey) i7 920 at 3.4Ghz & R9 290X can handle 60fps 1080P, Dark Souls 2 was no problem with highest settings.

Dark Matter

Neo Member
How will fare a PC with a i5 3750 and a Geforce 660 compared to the console version?

You think i can achieve 30fps without major fps drops at console settings?

Mohasus

How will fare a PC with a i5 3750 and a Geforce 660 compared to the console version?

You think i can achieve 30fps without major fps drops at console settings?

Probably similar to consoles (closer to the Xbox One I think). So, there will be drops, dunno if huge.

Top Bottom