• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Press Event Discussion: Embargo - 8am CST (03/01/)

Gbraga

We absolutely do not know anything about PC port. It could be great, it could be the worst thing ever.

Chances are 50-50. For sure it's a different engine than Dark Souls 2, so the fact it was good is really no guarantee of what happens with DS3.

We just don't know/can't guess.

B-Genius said PC is the lead platform, so it should be decent. It doesn't guarantee many options and stuff like that, but at least it should run decently. Minimum requirements are also not demanding at all.

Could have been a way to lock out players from wandering too far.

That would be amazing, but I don't think I'll hold too much hope for that, so I won't end up disappointed once again. Highly doubt they'd make cutscenes just for this preview build.

We'll see when the japanese version comes out, I guess. I wanted to stay the hell away from more Dark Souls III info, but now I need to know this. Will closely follow the import thread, if there is one.

It hasn't, but I've seen some posts that seemed to indicate something like it happening in 3. I'm obviously hoping they were wrong or I read it wrong.
I can't say for sure, but I doubt FROM would do that so don't sweat it.

That would be amazing, but I don't think I'll hold too much hope for that, so I won't end up disappointed once again. Highly doubt they'd make cutscenes just for this preview build.

We'll see when the japanese version comes out, I guess. I wanted to stay the hell away from more Dark Souls III info, but now I need to know this. Will closely follow the iurt thread, if there is one.

I meant outside of that one scene. Firelink Shrine seems to be disconnected from Lothric but maybe the gaurded door was a shortcut that leads back to firelink, it's been described as a later game area and they moved stuff around in Lothric during the first play test to stop people from wandering too far. You have to remember they put restrictions on demos in these games because they only want so much to be seen. There's also a few places in Lothric that lead elsewhere iirc from the playtest that were gated up.

Not sure if this was mentioned, about the "humanity" mechanic:
In Demon's Souls you were revived after killing a boss, otherwise you'd walk around with half the HP bar. In DS3 instead it works like a positive bonus, after defeating a boss and until you are killed you "light up" the ashes and you gain both a bonus to damage and a bonus to HPs.

Not sure if this was mentioned, about the "humanity" mechanic:
In Demon's Souls you were revived after killing a boss, otherwise you'd walk around with half the HP bar. In DS3 instead it works like a positive bonus, after defeating a boss and until you are killed you "light up" the ashes and you gain both a bonus to damage and a bonus to HPs.
Yeah that's what it is, you go into cinder mode when you consume an ember or defeat an heir of fire.

uMS0eP6.png

Yep, this is definitely a next-gen From game...
Is there something I'm missing?

Parsnip

I don't want to spoil myself any of the content, so I'm just going to ask here.

Did any of the videos talk about and test if equip load was in now and how much of a difference it makes on speed and roll speed/distance etc?

wiibomb

Is VaatiVidya using some effects in his videos? the game looks better in them.

months ago he said he managed to get a better capture-graphics card to make better quality videos, the latest bloodborne videos seem to be of better quality

Gbraga

I don't want to spoil myself any of the content, so I'm just going to ask here.

Did any of the videos talk about and test if equip load was in now and how much of a difference it makes on speed and roll speed/distance etc?

It has Dark II equip load. Only light and fat roll, but with different distances for light roll based on equip load.

THE BAD THING (not really a spoiler, but hey):
areas are NOT connected. It's back to Demon's Souls with areas gated through portals. The single areas are bigger and intricate, but they do not connect and build a whole world as in Dark Souls 1.

We really need some confirmation on this. If this turns out to be true, it will probably break the game for me. My excitement for the game is fast fading.

One because, if Miyazaki said it was going to be one way, and it turns out completely different, that sounds like there were major development issues.

Kyuur

I am a bit disappointed if the game world is more like Demon's than the latter games. From the sounds this gameplay only looks at the tutorial and first two areas right, so it could just be unique to the beginning stuff.

Is there any spoiler-free game mechanic type stuff out?

PolishQ

Dude played the game for 5 hours and beat 3 bosses. Not a single area could be walked to, it's really not comparable to the fact that the intro area is separated from the rest of the world in Dark Souls. We actually already knew the intro was also separated in Dark III, and I also didn't mind that.

It's more like not being able to walk from Central Yharnam to Cathedral Ward.

Actually it's more like starting at the Northern Asylum, warping to Anor Londo, and then getting the demons to take you down to Sen's Fortress. It really does seem like an intentional reference to the Anor Londo progression, except backwards, and the world is likely fully interconnected after that (except for the detached Firelink hub).

The apparent lack of interconnectivity just really soured my excitement for this severely.

Old interviews etc. Explicitely stated it would have that going on so the fact that you can't even seem to walk from one area to the next is bullshit and makes me wonder why they'd even bother then to pretend it's open and not just go full-blown level like DeS?

Really really lame.

DMTripper

Mmmm really hope this game brings the series back on track for me. Dark souls 2 was very good but dark souls 1 was a masterpiece... Just finished reading the kotako impressions and it sounds like it's been rushed a bit.

Wanna see some really memorable bosses, decent lore and final boss, some substantial secret areas and a great big kick ass great sword :p

ike_

I'm surprisingly excited to see how they tie the stories together here, pretty overt references to the other 3 Souls games. And lore usually isn't the main draw for me.

And since we know the Bandit Knife
has quickstep from BB, I wonder if there will be something (weapon art/upgrade path) for rally.

edit: oops, actually Lobos' video at least partially answers my question.

We really need some confirmation on this. If this turns out to be true, it will probably break the game for me. My excitement for the game is fast fading.

One because, if Miyazaki said it was going to be one way, and it turns out completely different, that sounds like there were major development issues.

That's what would concern me about it as well. One of the first stages appears to be a near 1:1 clone of Hemwick Charnel Lane to introduce the game somehow and shit isn't interconnected as previously stated? What happened there?

Gbraga

Unfortunately B-Genius already mentioned that it's not as interconnected as Dark 1...

That was known for a while, Miyazaki himself always compared it to Bloodborne, and for a reason. What we didn't know was that it might not even be interconnected at all. Not just "not as much as Dark 1".

There's a huge gap between Demon's and Dark 1, so it's really unreasonable to expect people to predict areas not being connected at all just by saying "not as much as Dark 1".

Jombie

It wouldn't seem as odd if not for abruptly warping to Lothric from the hub, beat the boss and you're teleported AGAIN. I'm hoping it's a bit of early fan service, because that's going to grate my nerves if that's a consistent mechanic.

Auctopus

Watched a little bit of gameplay and am in full faith this will be the sequel that Dark Souls 1 deserved. Can't wait, incredible art-direction and music.

Tactics18

Dark Souls III sees Miyazaki’s return to the series after a brief affair with Bloodborne, so players should expect a return to form, with more seamless exploration similar to that of the first Dark Souls.

Miyazaki-san explained that such an approach to level design has always been his preference, and he prefers players to “climb” into areas and experience a form of verticality when moving from area to area. And, the lack of loading screens certainly helps by keeping the player immersed.
http://geekculture.co/close-up-with-hidetaka-miyazaki-director-of-dark-souls-iii/

This is from the press event that took place last week.
Relax. We only saw two areas that are definitely on the same map, and the hub which is separate, like Bloodborne.
Now, consider that the transition between the High Wall to the Undead Settlement is Almost identical to Sen's-Anor Londo, the only difference is that one is at the beginning of the game and the other is half way through.

Top Bottom