• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Press Event Discussion: Embargo - 8am CST (03/01/)

ElFly

Maybe the game is supposed to represent a large region, like DS2, but don't want to repeat the scale problems of DS2, so From decided to go back to the Demon's Souls model.

Actually it's more like starting at the Northern Asylum, warping to Anor Londo, and then getting the demons to take you down to Sen's Fortress. It really does seem like an intentional reference to the Anor Londo progression, except backwards, and the world is likely fully interconnected after that (except for the detached Firelink hub).

This is exactly what im getting from it. We dont yet know how interconnected everything will be. Probably not Ds1 levels but hopefully at least like BB. If not we know the individual levels will be highly interconnected.

As long as the level design is great, I don't really care if the world is interconnected or not. Parts of Bloodborne were connected and other parts weren't and that game is nearly flawless, in my opinion.

This is exactly what im getting from it. We dont yet know how interconnected everything will be. Probably not Ds1 levels but hopefully at least like BB. If not we know the individual levels will be highly interconnected.

I think that's probably true. The connections reveal themselves a little later...It's the beginning of the game, still.

Edit: what is this? I Haven't seen that pic before. Is it concept art or actually ingame?
(spoiler)

takriel

The game needs to be highly replayable, that's what I want most. Part of that is having multiple routes at the beginning, so I'm a bit sceptical right now...

I'm not a DS1 purist, they said from the beginning that it was using the Bloodborne structure, and I was more than ok with that. The twist is: It isn't! Bloodborne has some disconnected areas, sure, just like Dark Souls 1 has its fair share too, like the Painted World, Undead Asylum and Anor Londo, but the very first area already needs a cutscene to lead you to the next? That's incredibly disappointing.

Firelink = Hunter's Dream
Other areas = ???

We don't actually know how isolated the other areas are from each other because we haven't played the game yet. But Firelink being segregated from the rest of the world would, indeed, be just like Bloodborne.

And, truthfully, using a cutscene to transition between areas isn't all that different from, say, conveniently placed elevators.

The game needs to be highly replayable, that's what I want most. Part of that is having multiple routes at the beginning, so I'm a bit sceptical right now...

We already know the structure is more like BB, with a set path in the beginning. What weve seen so far is that I presume. No doubt there will be later connections/secret optional areas.

People need to get off the thirst for a Ds1 level of connectivity though. That seems to be a one-time thing for From and it was done brilliantly. So long as levels aren't completely separate like Demon's or we get to completely differing places via long tunnel/elevator to the sky all will be well.

Roussow

On the subject of interconnecting level design, Bloodborne had the most logical shifts in location, the Nightmare Realms, Hunters Dream, and the expansion area being isolated locations was logically consistent with the way the world worked, it's aggressive shifts in location were appropriate, Bloodborne also had fantastic shortcut design, which is for me what sells clever world design better than sheer scope does. DS2 isn't poor in this regard because of massive visual shifts, it's because those shifts often made little sense. I'm very comfortable with an isolated hub and other isolated locations, as long as it's well executed and justified.

One more thing, after watching Vaati's video, I'm much more sold on the art direction, I really liked Bloodbornes focused visual palette and design ethic, although I know a lot of people were upset by a lack of variety -- I'm worried those people might be once more disappointed, however I won't worry to much, I don't count myself among them.

Gbraga

We already know the structure is more like BB, with a set path in the beginning. What weve seen so far is that I presume. No doubt there will be later connections/secret optional areas.

People need to get off the thirst for a Ds1 level of connectivity though. That seems to be a one-time thing for From and it was done brilliantly. So long as levels aren't completely separate like Demon's or we get to completely differing places via long tunnel/elevator to the sky all will be well.

Yeah, people expecting Dark 1 levels of interconnected world will definitely be disappointed, no matter what, even if I'm statisfied. We know for sure it's not like that.

It's supposed to be more like Bloodborne, separate HUB, connected world, more linear path, with the non linearity given in the way of optional areas, rather than different orders you can do the main content.

Firelink = Hunter's Dream
Other areas = ???

We don't actually know how isolated the other areas are from each other because we haven't played the game yet. But Firelink being segregated from the rest of the world would, indeed, be just like Bloodborne.

And, truthfully, using a cutscene to transition between areas isn't all that different from, say, conveniently placed elevators.

But that's exactly what the dude was saying. He played for 5 hours and not a single area connected to another without a cutscene/warp. That's the worrying part, not Firelink being isolated.

lifa-cobex

I'm pretty someone just copy/pasted the DS1 character creation music on top of that video. If you watch any of the footage captured from people at the event, the music is very different.

Ahh. I'm on blackout for most of the information. I thought just taking a peek at the character creation vid wouldn't hurt.

I'll take your word for it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Regarding connectedness - If you watch Vaati's vid you'll see an npc explicitly state that Lothric (specifically its base) is the central hub connecting to all the ashen lords domains.

Edit: Note we start on the HIGH wall. which is why we fly down.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just remembered, don't know if any of the vids show this, but High wall of Lothric definitely isn't connected to the Undead Settlement, you
get carried there by the Anor Lando white demons, they're back. You can glimpse them in the latest trailer as well I believe

More jarring was
Firelink Shrine being relatively closed off (as far as I know). I wish I could've walked to the high wall instead of warping there.

Yeah, people expecting Dark 1 levels of interconnected world will definitely be disappointed, no matter what, even if I'm statisfied. We know for sure it's not like that.

It's supposed to be more like Bloodborne, separate HUB, connected world, more linear path, with the non linearity given in the way of optional areas, rather than different orders you can do the main content.

But that's exactly what the dude was saying. He played for 5 hours and not a single area connected to another without a cutscene/warp. That's the worrying part, not Firelink being isolated.

Does he specify exactly how many areas he got to or their names?

So far I've only seen 2 different areas and both were accessed through warp/cutscene, but the areas themselves were huge.

What comes after the
Undead Settlement
area? Another cutscene/warp or do you keep going deeper into the world? If its the former then yes its a bit disappointing.

Ellite25

Fuck, I want this game so badly. I can't get enough of these games. Greatest series of all time in my opinion. I have new games to play and I keep going back to these.

Roussow

Fuck, I want this game so badly. I can't get enough of these games. Greatest series of all time in my opinion. I have new games to play and I keep going back to these.

That reminds me, I should probably, finally beat Demon's Souls, I think I've started that game more times than any other I've played, gotten up to the final boss -- and made it no further, I think today's the day.

What comes after the
Undead Settlement
area? Another cutscene/warp or do you keep going deeper into the world? If its the former then yes its a bit disappointing.

Don't think that was in the demo. You're at the bottom of that hole after
you kill the big tree boss, and you gotta use the bonfire to teleport out of there.

tcrunch

Edit: what is this? I Haven't seen that pic before. Is it concept art or actually ingame?
(spoiler)

It's the
forest level
, it has been in a few ss

from last October:
http://images.gamersyde.com/image_dark_souls_iii-29930-3267_0001.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/image_dark_souls_iii-29930-3267_0007.jpg

most recent:
http://images.gamersyde.com/image_dark_souls_iii-31034-3267_0006.jpg

e: there's also this piece of concept art from The Know leak that may be related, maybe representing somewhere deeper in the forest/a connected swampy area

Reminds me of the Edge preview of Bloodborne where they said they found like 6 weapons in 40hours and everyone started freaking out. Need more infoo

Jombie

Want to see this place:
dark-souls-3-screenshot-2.0.jpg

Gbraga

Yeah I guess I should just say goodbye to DkS 1's god tier game world design. Such a shame though!

A good way to look at it is just as every game having something special to them, to keep you coming back.

There's no game in the series so far that I no longer have a desire to play because they're outdated, and that's fantastic.

OMG this looks so good.

No other series makes me feel like my teen hyped up self like this one.

The graphics, the ambientation, that (weapon spoiler)
badass Uchi moveset
, the music...

I'M ALMOST CRYING. FUCK UNCHARTED 4, FUCK EVERY OTHER GAME! THE GOAT IS HERE.

JMZ555

I don't care if areas are connected or i warp there. Whats important to me is how the area plays and its atmosphere.

Thinking of Bloodborne, Cainhurst was one of the coolest areas and you had Carriage/warp there if i remember?

silva1991

I don't care if areas are connected or i warp there. Whats important to me is how the area plays and its atmosphere.

Thinking of Bloodborne, Cainhurst was one of the coolest areas and you had Carriage/warp there if i remember?

Yup, no interconnected world is very disappointed but not a deal breaker as long as the other areas have great design as well.

Cainhurst level design was jaw dropping.

Aikidoka

I just read the interview and watched the character creation.

Why are there 4 slots for estus flasks? I expected 2 Nevermind looks like just the generic symbol for any healing item

Gbraga

I've skipped through Lobos' video just to see about the connected bit, it's not was worrying as it sounded. I apologize for freaking out. There's still hope. A lot of hope.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
ut I must temper my (considerable) enthusiasm for Dark Souls 3 by pointing out that there are a lot of repurposed assets from Bloodborne in here, by which I mean that several of the enemies and environmental details in the game are essentially Bloodborne enemies and environmental details with slightly different colouring. There are lots of random wagons dotted about the place, for instance, lots of medieval-style chairs with chains hanging off them, quite a few long, bridge-like areas with portcullises either side. There were corpses intertwined with trees, twisted towards the sun (instead of the moon). The run-up to one boss area was just like the run-up to The One Reborn: a long, wide path down to an enclosed chamber, flanked by masonry either side.

Guess this is the closest we'll ever get to 60 fps Bloodborne. I'm hyped.

Ridesh

Banned
In the Vaati video the graphics look really good.

Also, the narrative seems less obtuse this time, with the npcs being more clear about the objectives and roles.

ElFly

That's not so true; DS1 had its share of conveniently placed elevators and cutscenes, but the important part was that you could see from one area to the next. The parts that feel less connected are precisely those with the cutscenes. But not all cutscenes are equal.

New Londo was somewhat visible from Firelink Shrine, and was connected with an elevator, as was Blighttown (connected with stairs), and you could see Anor Londo from the Undead Burg areas (which were connected with a cutscene), etc etc. You cannot see the Asylum from anywhere. Almost every other DS1 area was largely connected and/or visible from the rest. DS1 makes you feel like Anor Londo is connected to the Undead Burg, even if they could be in a different continent for all that matters gameplay wise. On the other hand, the Asylum could easily be anywhere. We don't know.

Bloodborne is also very connected, although it has areas that need a cutscene/teleport, like the nightmares or Cainhurst. IMHO the main problem with Bloodborne in this aspect, was that Yharnam is not as logically done as Lordran, partially cause it lacks central landmarks to look at, partially because Lordran is distributed mostly vertically, while Yhardram is more hazaphardly done. The elevators in Yharnam aren't that bad, really, they are not the problem with Yharnam.

DS2's Drangleic is a larger region, not just a city, and thus is less connected; IMHO it would have been greatly helped if Drangleic castle was visible from almost everywhere somehow. DS2 has its good share of elevators and cutscenes to go from area to area, but some of the elevators work well, like Aldia to Dragon Aerie.

An elevator is a less elegant solution, but it still beats a cutscene, if you can see where the elevator leads; this is one of the main problems with DS2, and the main part where it works as supposed to, is in the transition from Aldia's Mansion to the Dragon Aerie; in other places the results are far less elegant.

I think DS1 was better designed as a result from not giving you teleportation from the start. Any Souls game that gives you teleportation from the very start will see the designers go lazier in the interconnection. In fact, even in DS1 it is super clear that, the moment the game gives you the Lordvessel, it is the very moment where level design falls off a cliff and dies (well, with the exception of Duke's...and the lesser exception of New Londo). It is also why Bloodborne's Yharnam works less well than Lordran, even ignoring the non-connected areas like Cainhurst or the Nightmares.

use flask :)

Horse.

wiibomb

I've skipped through Lobos' video just to see about the connected bit, it's not was worrying as it sounded. I apologize for freaking out. There's still hope. A lot of hope.

This might be one of the very few times someone apologises for the attidude, congrats, and glad to have you on the hype train.

*Presses / to revive*

DarkFlame

Banned

This.Since it's gonna be the last Dark Souls game we'll be having for quite a while,I want it to achieve high amounts of replayability so i can play it easily after 2-3 years and don't mind a thing

Aces&Eights

So for someone who had never imported a game, can someone tell me the easiest way to do it? Also, if I import it, can I still an English version? Can I do it digitally on ps4?

Top Bottom