• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Press Event Discussion: Embargo - 8am CST (03/01/)

:lol. Vaati split his videos into parts, put a "Click here for part 2" annotation in the end of part 1 and it's a link to subscribe. Fuck that. Why not just an annotation that says "Subscribe to know right when part 2 goes up" or something.

Anyway, game looks fucking good, shame they had to go back to DeS/Bloodborne style warping, it's stupid as fuck.

Man can't wait for this to come out OuO

Vaati is a pretty big scumbag, I stopped giving him clicks after the whole plagiarism debacle.

You guys are both pretty shortsighted. The annotation is there because he's very very likely editing the second part right now. The annotated link will change to the second video once it's up.

KTallguy

Banned
You guys are both pretty shortsighted. The annotation is there because he's very very likely editing the second part right now. The annotated link will change to the second video once it's up.

Then change the annotation to say "Link to Part 2 (not up yet)."

Don't bait and switch people.

Audioboxer

That Vaati video... Hnnnngggg.

So happy tons of armour and weapons are back. Incredibly gutted this isn't a worldwide simultaneous release. Might have to pre-order Japanese copy... but the text descriptions mean so much to lore. Ahhhhhh.

taoofjord

Ugh, I wish I could be as excited as everyone else but from what I've seen the art in this game is way closer to Dark Souls 2 than Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne. I need to see more but I'm just not impressed with it. I was thinking that maybe I'm just getting burned out with the look of the series look but I'm looking at screens of Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne and they still look as awesome as ever.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
During my time I'd noticed that the big drops happen when you're beelining to a boss area, skipping past enemies. Then it's a slideshow, at least on the way to the armored dog. But it can happen at other moments as well, like when enemies morph. It definitely convinced me to get the pc version. Also for shorter loads on ssd.

KTallguy

Banned
I'm pretty sure DS3 will impress. I do wish it looked a little darker. But DS1 had plenty of brighter areas. I never played DS2 though.

Ugh, I wish I could be as excited as everyone else but from what I've seen the art in this game is way closer to Dark Souls 2 than Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne. I need to see more but I'm just not impressed with it. I was thinking that maybe I'm just getting burned out with the look of the series look but I'm looking at screens of Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne and they still look as awesome as ever.

I haven't seen any DS3 footage that reminds me of DS2 personally. It looks like a Souls version of Bloodborne to me.

taoofjord

I haven't seen any DS3 footage that reminds me of DS2 personally. It looks like a Souls version of Bloodborne to me.

Sorry, I mean to say that it feels like DS2 did to DS1 so far but this time to Bloodborne. Sort of a continuation of the look of FS's previous game but of a lower quality and with less creativity. I'm solely speaking of the art direction though.

convo

Just remembered, don't know if any of the vids show this, but High wall of Lothric definitely isn't connected to the Undead Settlement, you
get carried there by the Anor Lando white demons, they're back. You can glimpse them in the latest trailer as well I believe

More jarring was
Firelink Shrine being relatively closed off (as far as I know). I wish I could've walked to the high wall instead of warping there.

Walking the distance required to reach those places would require some magic stretchy geometry like in Dark Souls 2 and people were pretty mad about that. All i need are good enough loading times and i wouldn't care . There might be more technical reasons but who knows where the game goes after these first 3 hours.
One things for sure, people won't be running short on weapons and shit to collect like in Bloodborne.

Sorry, I mean to say that it feels like DS2 did to DS1 so far but this time to Bloodborne. Sort of a continuation of the look of FS's previous game but of a lower quality and with less creativity. I'm solely speaking of the art direction though.
....Dark Souls 2 had fantastic, creative art design. Like the Giants for example. So much better designed in 2 then 1.

And yeah, it might look similiarm because quite a few of the armor sets from 2 are returning.

Karak

Then change the annotation to say "Link to Part 2 (not up yet)."

Don't bait and switch people.

Ya that is a clearcut case actually. That is not something you can make a mistake about. You have to actually set it up as a subscribe link and willingly do put the proper links in.

An SSD in a PS4 is limited by SATA2 speeds. I'd be surprised if loading times for DS3 PC are more than 5 seconds.

Looking at the resolution of the textures and general asset quality, there's not much to load, so I would say 5 seconds is quite reasonable on a SSd with ~ 500MB/s read.

Btw. the pre-order is also up on the Japanese Xbox One store. So if you only have an Xbox One and look forward to a nice quiet version with not too much MP going on, you might want to check it out.
Going to need some Yens on your account though.

takriel

....Dark Souls 2 had fantastic, creative art design. Like the Giants for example. So much better designed in 2 then 1.

And yeah, it might look similiarm because quite a few of the armor sets from 2 are returning.
Art design was nowhere near as good in 2.

taoofjord

I'm going to sound (and be) such an asshole right now and I'm so very sorry but I've got to get this off my chest just this once, there is no such thing as "art design". It's "art direction" no matter what the good folks at Giant Bomb say. "Art" and "design" are two separate things.

Okay, I really apologize, as I hate when people call things like this out. :(

convo

Yeah this game does look like a sequel to a game called Dark Souls, that is a mystery. They should have went with something more colorful in the style of The Adventures of Cookie & Cream that they made.
But seriously the hub looks amazing to me, i also don't think we've seen the full extent of the other areas. Comparisons are going to happen no matter what since this is a game with a 3 in its name.We'll see how things go.

Wagram

How is the performance on PS4? I'm trying to stay away from any videos. In addition, is there any news on a Covenant of Champions?

Jito

Banned

The art design in DS3 looks fantastic though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Eh, I think it's a stupid thing to do, but it's not gonna stop me from watching his second video, he tells a good story.

I personally loved it, especially the Knight designs,

333443257f3b2f9337a5a197d7959ff9.jpg

faraam-set.jpg

lazypants

I'm not sure if I will like this game. I absolutely loved Bloodborne, but just picked up Dark Souls 2 and it is one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever played. I know its a meme at this point that people don't like DS2 but its just so repetitive and boring. The combat is somewhat fun and I love facing off against bosses, but when I die its usually due to being surrounded by minor enemies.Then I have to spend 20 minutes slogging through and kiting waves of enemies only to die again I really have to question why I even bother because the whole this is just unfun and frustrating.

I feel like Dark Souls 2 is more frustrating then difficult. Is Dark Souls 1 the same way? Do you think DS3 will be like that?

I'm not sure if I will like this game. I absolutely loved Bloodborne, but just picked up Dark Souls 2 and it is one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever played. I know its a meme at this point that people don't like DS2 but its just so repetitive and boring. The combat is somewhat fun and I love facing off against bosses, but when I die its usually due to being surrounded by minor enemies.Then I have to spend 20 minutes slogging through and kiting waves of enemies only to die again I really have to question why I even bother because the whole this is just unfun and frustrating.

I feel like Dark Souls 2 is more frustrating then difficult. Is Dark Souls 1 the same way? Do you think DS3 will be like that?

Get gud scrub...
Joking of course. But yes. Dark Souls 1 has annoying mobs of enemies (less pronounced then 2, but still there.)

I think 2 is less repetitive though, since you have access to bonfire warping at the start.

Henkka

Banned
I personally loved it, especially the Knight designs,

The armour sets were great as always, but I feel like the enemy designs took a big hit. Just look at Quelaag vs. that scorpion lady. Or better yet, Old Iron King vs. Ceaseless Discharge. One is an unique design that looks simultaneously terrifying, ugly and yet somehow tragic. The other is a demon from Doom. Mirror Knight is by far the coolest design in the game, but even it pales in comparison to Ornstein & Smough.

Wagram

They both have instances of being ganked. Dark Souls and Bloodborne are fundamentally different takes on the same formula. If you didn't like DS2 I don't foresee you liking 3.

Get'sMad

I hate myself for watching that 30 minute video Polygon put up. This looks fucking incredible though.

Time to go on a media blackout from this until I get the damn game next month.

What youre experiencing is much more pronounced in Dark Souls 2. Still give Dark Souls 3 a shot.

The armour sets were great as always, but I feel like the enemy designs took a big hit. Just look at Quelaag vs. that scorpion lady. Or better yet, Old Iron King vs. Ceaseless Discharge. One is an unique design that looks simultaneously terrifying, ugly and yet somehow tragic. The other is a demon from Doom. Mirror Knight is by far the coolest design in the game, but even it pales in comparison to Ornstein & Smough.
While I like the creatures, I sorta agree on the boss designs. I think the DLC improved upon things, like the King's pet, Sihn, and Sir Alonne.

And fricken Demon of Song (scariest fucking frog in history) and Nashandra looked creepy, and great as all hell

Has anyone mentioned in the thread that you lose ~40% of your max HP upon death, similar to Demon's Souls? Seems like it should be a pretty big talking point. Or was this already known and I somehow completely missed it?

EDIT: Looks like beating a boss or using a certain item gives you a max HP buff, and when you die you lose it. I wonder what the game is balanced around. Demon's was pretty much balanced around you being at half health for example.

lazypants

They both have instances of being ganked. Dark Souls and Bloodborne are fundamentally different takes on the same formula. If you didn't like DS2 I don't foresee you liking 3.

Hmm. You are probably right. It's a shame because the game goes from being an absolute blast when playing against bosses and exploring but dying is just such a huge time sink for me i can't justify wasting my time like that. Of course I could just git gud but that would take way too much time with my skills.

Manu

Has anyone mentioned in the thread that you lose ~40% of your max HP upon death, similar to Demon's Souls? Seems like it should be a pretty big talking point. Or was this already known and I somehow completely missed it?
It's been known for a while.

Tactics18

Honestly I am sure that the world design is not going to be an issue.
As naive as it sounds, I trust From and Miyazaki on this one.

What I am starting to have a problem with though, is the amount of fan service.
Andre is okay I guess if there's a good reason for him being there,
the bat wing demons are a direct reference which I'm fine with,
but Siegmeyer 2.0? Cmon. A completely different guy that talks and acts just likes him is a bit much.

Jombie

EDIT: Looks like beating a boss or using a certain item gives you a max HP buff, and when you die you lose it. I wonder what the game is balanced around. Demon's was pretty much balanced around you being at half health for example.

The ember simply gives you a boost, your overall HP doesn't deplete with subsequent deaths.

squidyj

Choose whatever looks cool. You'll be pretty impressed at the vast amount of equipment in this game, since Bloodborne was your first. Your starting weapon won't be used for nearly as long as in Bloodborne.

funnily enough this is something i liked about bloodborne over souls games, removed a lot of cruft weapons, basically anything in bloodborne is viable throughout the entire game, some weapons had movesets that perhaps performed worse than intended but you can clearly see that every weapon is meant to be something you use well at any point in the game.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Playing DSII in the covenant of champions right now (which makes the game NG+ difficulty right away), with a fresh char and the areas are still as easy as ever. Only the bosses pose a challenge (the hardest ones in the series IMO).

I don't usually say that but....git gud? Sounds like you died trying to outrun enemies while trying to open a fog gate and got shanked.

Kyuur

The ember simply gives you a boost, your overall HP doesn't deplete with subsequent deaths.

Its the exact same mechanic as Demon's Souls, just with more 'positive' language.

It's not the same as Dark Souls 2 if that's what you were getting at though.

Emedan

Honestly I am sure that the world design is not going to be an issue.
As naive as it sounds, I trust From and Miyazaki on this one.

What I am starting to have a problem with though, is the amount of fan service.
Andre is okay I guess if there's a good reason for him being there,
the bat wing demons are a direct reference which I'm fine with,
but Siegmeyer 2.0? Cmon. A completely different guy that talks and acts just likes him is a bit much.

Patches says, "Whadapp?"

Playing DSII in the covenant of champions right now (which makes the game NG+ difficulty right away), with a fresh char and the areas are still as easy as ever. Only the bosses pose a challenge (the hardest ones in the series IMO).

I don't usually say that but....git gud? Sounds like you died trying to outrun enemies while trying to open a fog gate and got shanked.

...Stop using this stupid git gud retort to explain away people's complaints....

Henkka

Banned
While I like the creatures, I sorta agree on the boss designs. I think the DLC improved upon things, like the King's pet, Sihn, and Sir Alonne.

And fricken Demon of Song (scariest fucking frog in history) and Nashandra looked creepy, and great as all hell

Oh yeah, forgot about Demon of Song. Definitely a highlight. I don't really like Nashandra... She's basically just a grim reaper in a dress, quite disappointing as the final boss. A definite improvement over the literal grim reapers in DeS, though.

d00d3n

Covenants being items you can equip is fantastic. I wonder what that new purple invader is? Also really hope we have areas to protect in this game like forest in DS1 and Bell Towers in DS2.

Do the covenant items go in the ring slots or is there a dedicated slot?

There's one thing to considerate when adapting from BB to Dark Souls and special in DkS2 which is considerably slower than the other souls games.

Play it defensively

BB gives you the tools to be very aggressive, low stamina consumption, recover HP by hitting the enemies, really fast and dynamic evasion moves,etc...

DkS2, and by proxy souls games, wants you to be more considerate in your actions. Most weapons are either slower, has more recovery frames and rolls consume way more stamina. So you have to be more smart about what moves you want to use, I mean you can get greedy on BB, but the character is more agile to allow for these mistakes to be fixed, in DkS2 consuming an estus in the wrong time means death, failing to hit with your big ass sword means death, running out of stamina while blocking with a shield means death, getting greedy means death, etc...

So you want to play DkS trying to face enemies one on one, carefully waiting your opportunity to strike, managing your stamina bar with more care, etc...

Is also true that DkS2 enemy layout leaves a lot to be desired and is certainly annoying in certain places, but I think you should try to approach the game from a different angle.

Also level up ADP, like DO IT!

Otherwise, yes it will make the game really frustrating unless you rely on a shield (but FUCK SHIELDS! BE A MAN AND ROLL YOUR WAY TO VICTORY!)

roytheone

Covenants being items you can equip is fantastic. I wonder what that new purple invader is? Also really hope we have areas to protect in this game like forest in DS1 and Bell Towers in DS2.

I loved the way the bell tower covenant worked! You could just equip the ring, continue playing through the game and you would automatically get a pvp match going from time to time. It was great! I hope this game has something similar.

Top Bottom