• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Press Event Discussion: Embargo - 8am CST (03/01/)

JMZ555

Hi guys, is there a version you can buy in UK that includes the same as the PSN deluxe version? DLC pass etc

I'm watching a few videos now (Peeve, Oroboro, Lobos, etc.) and man, all of this just looks fucking excellent; a real blend of all the Souls games with a heavy leaning on Demon's/Dark Souls 1's style.

I can't wait!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
...Stop using this stupid git gud retort to explain away people's complaints....

Everytime you shit on Dark Souls II, it makes me feel like YOU felt when that one guy made that thread about getting a Bloodborne refund. Think about that.

Thanks. Works like in Bloodborne, then.

Yes, but you can equip them and swap between them at anytime, definetly a clear improvement.

Everytime you shit on Dark Souls II, it makes me feel like YOU felt when that one guy made that thread about getting a Bloodborne refund. Think about that.

Git gud is seriously a terrible advice, specially for someone who completed BB, which is actually harder than DkS2.

He already "Git Gud". He just need to understand the intrensecal differences between both games approaches to combat and deal with the lame enemy placement in certain places, that's all.

ike_

Hoooooley cow I thought the DS2 lighting change complaints were overblown until I saw that video. They clearly had it running nicely on a PC 3 years ago so it couldn't have been a horsepower thing.

Just goes to show you how much things might change from what we are looking at right now to what we get.

Only thing that bummed me out was the Polygon review saying its a "connected but divided world" with areas separate and not conjoined...

Kinda funny how that still manages to have better lighting than Bloodborne and Souls 3. All the materials ended up so flat looking in the final game though, and that's something both Bloodborne and DS3 nail, armour's gonna look so gooooood

True.

From needs to ditch their shitty internal engine and embrace UE4 to reach perfection.

Shinigami

So, for those who played, when you lose your ember, there is a loss of total hp, similar to the hollow form, correct? Or has this been removed entirely?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Git gud is seriously a terrible advice, specially for someone who completed BB, which is actually harder than DkS2.

He already "Git Gud". He just need to understand the intrensecal differences between both games approaches to combat and deal with the lame enemy placement in certain places, that's all.

I have Bloodborne's Platinum. Dark Souls II is harder. The bosses are more difficult, despite being mechanically inferior. BB's general exploration is easier too, mostly. Defiled Chalice WAS hard though. Really, really hard.

Audioboxer

Not too sure if luck is going to do much than just take away from a grind. I don't mind some grinding if there isn't any silly DS2 mob despawning.

ZangBa

Only watched the IGN video. Looked pretty good. Kinda weird how there is no hollowing apparently. Just hope there are plenty of weapons again.

Only watched the IGN video. Looked pretty good. Kinda weird how there is no hollowing apparently. Just hope there are plenty of weapons again.
It's because you're not really a chosen undead this time, at least not in the same way. You have the potential to become a Lord of cinder, so you don't hollow you burn like ash
Any armour or weapon that would match a berserk guts build. Never found an exact outfit to my liking in the past souls game.
Ultra Greatsword is pretty Berserk (DS2 version)
As for armor, a poster here said there's an armor very similar to Guts' in DS3 but I can't confirm or deny. I mighttt have seen an NPC wearing something similar (plate metal, some kind of animal head helmet) but I'm not sure if that's the armor they were referring to.
I hope there's a straight rip off in game though
Edit: it's in the last 10 minutes of the Oroboros video, before be meets
Oninon Knight 2

p3n

So Oroboro/Brandon captured the best footage by far. I did not expect that. While the video has no commentary yet, it shows much more of the interesting stuff like weapons, movesets, and armor. It also features the most clutch boss fight footage in all of the videos from the event.

Highly recommend watching it and just skipping character creation, menus and all the NPC conversations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub99xX3J1GI

Hoooooley cow I thought the DS2 lighting change complaints were overblown until I saw that video. They clearly had it running nicely on a PC 3 years ago so it couldn't have been a horsepower thing.

Just goes to show you how much things might change from what we are looking at right now to what we get.

At this stage? I really doubt it. What we see now is what we're going to get!

I have Bloodborne's Platinum. Dark Souls II is harder. The bosses are more difficult, despite being mechanically inferior. BB's general exploration is easier too, mostly. Defiled Chalice WAS hard though. Really, really hard.

DS2's platinum is only harder because of the grind it requires for some spells. Having to farm out the Bell Covenant was annoying as hell.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The music for Gundy is just, hot, shit. I *Love* how they're doing it Bloodborne style where the music changes for the different phases. The other boss track is amazing too.

I've skipped through Lobos' video just to see about the connected bit, it's not was worrying as it sounded. I apologize for freaking out. There's still hope. A lot of hope.

Can you spell it out for me if you don't mind? I'm avoiding all the videos etc. but am in borderline 'fuck this shit' mode after all the sudden mentions of no interconnectivity and cutscenes to advance to new areas. To me, this sounds even worse than DS2 world design wise and I need some sort of shred of hope after months of hardcore hype that this may not actually be the case.

Hikami

Watched like the first 15 minutes of Lobos' video then stopped. That was enough for me, too excited to spoil anymore.

ike_

Can you spell it out for me if you don't mind? I'm avoiding all the videos etc. but am in borderline 'fuck this shit' mode after all the sudden mentions of no interconnectivity and cutscenes to advance to new areas. To me, this sounds even worse than DS2 world design wise and I need some sort of shred of hope after months of hardcore hype that this may not actually be the case.

Seems like the consensus is that it was mainly a false alarm? I don't remember many streamers voicing particular complaints toward the early exploration experience.

But then again I kind of liked the Megaman-style stage select from Demon's Souls, but I know that is a pretty unpopular opinion.

Too much spoiled for me already so backing out of all media from here on in. But all my worries seem to be put to rest, this looks great guys.
the return of the Anor Londo gargoyles made my jaw drop.

I really can't wait for this game.

Zaventem

So for someone who had never imported a game, can someone tell me the easiest way to do it? Also, if I import it, can I still an English version? Can I do it digitally on ps4?

Japanese games also have their confirm and cancel buttons flipped so i would just deal with the wait unless you really can adopt quickly.

Ceravic

My boss was going to take the entire week off for this game. He's not doing it now. Guess who gets to do it now.

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!

Japanese games also have their confirm and cancel buttons flipped so i would just deal with the wait unless you really can adopt quickly.

Inputs are based on the hardware, not the game. As long as you're playing on a North American PS4, the buttons will be the same regardless of where you got the game.

Seems like the consensus is that it was mainly a false alarm? I don't remember many streamers voicing particular complaints toward the early exploration experience.

But then again I kind of liked the Megaman-style stage select from Demon's Souls, but I know that is a pretty unpopular opinion.

I actually really liked it as well in the context of the Nexus and the world's lore in general, it fit. I just personally would want it to commit to either style fully.

I really hope it was a false alarm on some level but it appears several people/outlets echoed this in later posts on here.

EDIT: Just read the Polygon article and it confirms it. You can apparently even see the different areas from each other, yet can't walk to them but have to bonfire warp. Did things just have to get rushed to the point where, once again, logical integration of areas had to be ignored? I just don't understand how this could've possibly been an actual design choice that was deemed beneficial to the game.

Kama_1082

Banned
HNNNNNGGGGGG. Can't wait until the 23rd. Cleric strength build, all day every day.

I noticed they've taken away ADP. Thank god.

Skatterd

Decided to watch the Vaati video and that it would be the last thing I watched.
Kinda wish I hadn't got some things spoiled for me, but now my hype is at CRITICAL FUCKING MASS.

Curufinwe

I beat DeS and BB but this will be my first DeS. I might not get it at launch though. I might wait till after I'm done with UC4.

Yeah, that's true. Especially with all these hands on demos. And it's not like I'm not going to buy it anyway.

It is sort of depressing that, like someone said earlier, the original Dark Souls 2 footage still looks better than this in some ways. But if they're having issues getting this running at a stable framerate I can only imagine how things would have gone with the original Dark Souls 2!

Well I lasted about 8 hours of not watching any videos before I caved and watched most of them. Now the real test is if I can resist importing the game. I already have it purchased on PC so that might make it easier for me to just wait the 3 weeks as I won't want to spend the cost for importing if I already have a copy ordered.

Who am I kidding? It probably won't

It is sort of depressing that, like someone said earlier, the original Dark Souls 2 footage still looks better than this in some ways. But if they're having issues getting this running at a stable framerate I can only imagine how things would have gone with the original Dark Souls 2!

I respectfully disagree. This game TROUNCES DS1 and DS2 with it's architecture and geometry. (as it should naturally) And I think there will be some area's that surprise the hell out of people in their beauty.
whew.png

I respectfully disagree. This game TROUNCES DS1 and DS2 with it's architecture and geometry. (as it should naturally) And I think there will be some area's that surprise the hell out of people in their beauty.
whew.png

Oh yeah, geometry in Bloodborne was significantly more complex than previous games and the same seems to hold true here. I think the lighting from the first DS2 videos looks better in a lot of ways (well, more dramatic I guess)

Also, get hype! My main criticism at the moment is that it all seems very familiar. I want to be surprised!

Oh yeah, geometry in Bloodborne was significantly more complex than previous games and the same seems to hold true here. I think the lighting from the first DS2 videos looks better in a lot of ways (well, more dramatic I guess)

Also, get hype! My main criticism at the moment is that it all seems very familiar. I want to be surprised!
Yeah, the lighting was great and while I do miss it. I'd take current dark souls 3 over it any day.

Top Bottom