• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III TRC Patch Notes (inc. PS4 Pro patch)

Interesting.

Curious to see how it performs on the Pro. Highly doubt it will be 60. The game is pretty MP focused, so an invader on a vanilla PS4 couldn't invade your game anyway if we're abiding on what Sony has said.

yume_2501

Dark souls account on Facebook repsponded to :"Very interested in that frame rate increase for the Pro! Any idea how much of an improvement we'll see? :)" with:
"Higher FPS, but variable. Definitely an improvement!"

Ferr986

Dark souls account on Facebook repsponded to :"Very interested in that frame rate increase for the Pro! Any idea how much of an improvement we'll see? :)" with:
"Higher FPS, but variable. Definitely an improvement!"

meh, lots of devs think "variable FPS that hovers up and down around 45"= improvement when that's not necessary true.

Toxi

Banned
So many good PvP tweaks. Hopefully we'll see more ultra weapons with the motion changes and good poise armor being less ridiculously heavy.

CrayToes

Variable framerates are never an improvement in my eyes. A rock solid 30fps lock with perfect framepacing at 1440p/1800p would've been far more preferable.

Ferr986

Reminder about the server maintenance for tomorrow

PS4
2017/03/24 Fri 02:00am-04:00am CET // 2017/03/23 Thu 06:00pm-08:00pm PST

XB1
2017/03/24 Fri 02:00am-08:00am CET // 2017/03/23 Thu 07:00pm-12:00am PST

Steam
2017/03/24 Fri 09:00am-11:00am CET // 2017/03/24 Fri 01:00am-3:00am PST

Patch will be up to download 1 hour before the maintenance ends

BigEmil

meh, lots of devs think "variable FPS that hovers up and down around 45"= improvement when that's not necessary true.
If it improves framepacing it's an improvement and around 45 is definitely better than 30 imo if i can play around 45fps on PC i always do that over sticking with locked 30

TitusTroy

Reminder about the server maintenance for tomorrow

Steam
2017/03/24 Fri 09:00am-11:00am CET // 2017/03/24 Fri 01:00am-3:00am PST

Patch will be up to download 1 hour before the maintenance ends

so late night tonight the patch goes live!...4:00 AM-6:00 AM EST

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Wait...what is this nightmare in the making? Variable framerate? Get out of here with that BS...games jumping between 28-45 are like nightmare fuel wtf man. We better be able to cap it at 30.

Ferr986

If it improves framepacing it's an improvement and around 45 is definitely better than 30 imo if i can play around 45fps on PC i always do that over sticking with locked 30

That would be right if it was stable 45, but what we are (probably) to have is a framerate that keeps jumping high and down between the 30s and the high 40s low /50s, ending with a juddering mess.

so late night tonight the patch goes live!...4:00 AM-6:00 AM EST

Yep, in 12 hours from now servers will be up with the new patch and arenas!

burgerdog

Good thing Sony didn't pony up the cash for a Bloodborne patch if they're really going to just unlock the frame rate. Here's hoping they didn't mess up the game for you guys.

AmyS

Update is out now in NA (PS4), 2 GB. Not sure about any other platforms or locations.

NUyttbn.gif

sviri

Just installed it and WOW! I truly appreciate the benefit of increased frame rate now. After 200+ hours on PS4 performance, this is my moment of clarity.

I would give almost anything for a similar patch to be released for Bloodborne on PS4 Pro.

Just wow.

Just installed it and WOW! I truly appreciate the benefit of increased frame rate now. After 200+ hours on PS4 performance, this is my moment of clarity.
How does the increase feel, is it all over the place or pretty stable?

I need a Pro ASAP...

Trojan

Variable framerates are never an improvement in my eyes. A rock solid 30fps lock with perfect framepacing at 1440p/1800p would've been far more preferable.

I agree 100%. If the game dips below 30 in some spots, do your improvements and just cap it at 30. I always cap PC games at 30 if I am unable to hit 60 for whatever reason (my TV is my monitor). I'm super sensitive to screen tear.

I cannot wait until HDMI 2.1 releases and adoption picks up a few years later. Refresh rates waste so much system performance.

sviri

How does the increase feel, is it all over the place or pretty stable?

I need a Pro ASAP...

It makes me want to play the entire game over again. I am not experienced with discerning frame rates. So far Firelink Shrine, Irithyll and other areas seem so drastically improved to me. It makes the graphics look better too. I am not experienced with tech lingo.

Kalentan

I think it's smoother? I'm pretty sure it's not 60 but it was smoother. I want to guess 45?

It's been a while since I played tho.

They did it :/

They just... unlocked the frame rate. I'm in High Wall of Lothric and it looks like it's running between 40-60fps, sometimes lower in hectic fights.

Aaaaaahhhhhh

Runs pretty solid 60fps during Vordt intro cutscene but the actual fight runs around 45-50 I would estimate, with little spurts of 60fps - and that was during a closed boss fight. Exploring the area saw really regular dips and stutters. This is exactly what people warned about.

Toxi

Banned
Runs pretty solid 60fps during Vordt intro cutscene but the actual fight runs around 45-50 I would estimate, with little spurts of 60fps - and that was during a closed boss fight. Exploring the area saw really regular dips and stutters. This is exactly what people warned about.
LOL From pls

Traxtech

I'm honestly surprised they're doing a Pro patch, it gives me hope for a Bloodborne pro patch but i won't hold my breath...

Traxtech

They should've bumped the resolution and fixed the framepacing instead of... this.

I guess they might've fixed the framepacing on OG PS4, but it was impossible for me to tell on a Pro considering the wildly variable frame rate.

Yeah, bump the resolution up, fix the frame pacing and 30 fps won't be an issue at all. Sure it plays better at 60fps but it's not the end of the world

I 100%ed it on PC and coming back to console was brutal with the frame issues ;(

Yeah, bump the resolution up, fix the frame pacing and 30 fps won't be an issue at all. Sure it plays better at 60fps but it's not the end of the world

I 100%ed it on PC and coming back to console was brutal with the frame issues ;(
I agree it feels more responsive but the frame rate isn't a stable 60fps at all so imo it feels worse, it's very distracting. :(

1800p30 w/ proper framepacing and texture filtering would've been 👌

Coda

Downloading the patch now, sucks to hear about the variable frame rate. Much rather have high resolution with 30 fps or 1080p 60 fps.

Top Bottom