• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Parsnip

Haven't played this in a while, since I was waiting for GFWL to be removed + Steam achievements to be added, but today when I tried running the game I'm getting a "Since you're not signed in you won't be able to save your game" and "Switching to offline mode" when launching it. I also had to run the game in Windows 7 compatibility mode, since apparently Windows 8.1 was messing it up.

Is this just leftover stuff from GFWL, or is it not removed yet? :(

It's not removed yet.

Parsnip

I'm told that you should disable framerate unlocking for now, and it will work.
Haven't tested myself, still downloading the game.

UrbanRats

Can't get borderless fullscreen to work anymore.
It just stays in windowed mode.

Aside from that, disabling 60fps starts the game at least.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If anyone else got in early to the non-beta version, and it hasn't been updated as of like ~an hour ago~ would you be willing to post a backup of your DARKSOULS.exe file?

It looks like they accidentally pushed a DEV branch which has full debug mode access, and I would absolutely LOVE to get access to that.

It lets you toggle free fly mode and view a bunch of the internal data that's going on that would be super interesting for me.

B46bBD8CIAEyskj.jpg:large

xpost from the Dark Souls thread

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone else got in early to the non-beta version, and it hasn't been updated as of like ~an hour ago~ would you be willing to post a backup of your DARKSOULS.exe file?

It looks like they accidentally pushed a DEV branch which has full debug mode access, and I would absolutely LOVE to get access to that.

It lets you toggle free fly mode and view a bunch of the internal data that's going on that would be super interesting for me.

Holy shit, that's awesome.

peronmls

B46bBD8CIAEyskj.jpg:large

for the love of god! I need that exe!

Parsnip

Heyo Durante, save backups don't seem to work with the Steamworks version. I'm guessing that since the location of the saves don't include the gamertag subfolder anymore, it's looking for them in the wrong place?

Figured I'd mention it.

Soodanim

Heyo Durante, save backups don't seem to work with the Steamworks version. I'm guessing that since the location of the saves don't include the gamertag subfolder anymore, it's looking for them in the wrong place?

Figured I'd mention it.

I've just been looking for them too. I can only find the folder in (My) Documents with one save in it.

yeah i just accidentially used gwyn's soul and can't get it back. d'oh i'm going to have to beat the game another time for all the weapons and spells!

I downloaded the latest dsfix. It appears to work, but there's no longer the little text that says dsfix enabled. Is that normal for everyone else?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I downloaded the latest dsfix. It appears to work, but there's no longer the little text that says dsfix enabled. Is that normal for everyone else?

Which little text? The one on the title screen? That only appears if you have texture overwrite enabled.

gngf123

Okay, so I definitely think I'm going to need some help here.

-AA is off
-Folder is correct (I think: http://puu.sh/dAWg1/c4bba4812f.png)
-Tried rebooting, changing locale, restoring the ini to default settings, checked that DAP was disabled, and disabled any programs that have overlays.
-Am using the beta branch with DSfix 2.3, freshly downloaded from Durante's blog.

The FPS fix doesn't appear to be working as I thought it would. It is making the whole game run at double speed. Menus, character movement, and all sorts become hard to control.

In addition, I don't get the DSfix enabled message, even when enabling texture overwrite as the previous post said. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Any ideas?

Parsnip

Okay, so I definitely think I'm going to need some help here.

-AA is off
-Folder is correct (I think: http://puu.sh/dAWg1/c4bba4812f.png)
-Tried rebooting, changing locale, restoring the ini to default settings, checked that DAP was disabled, and disabled any programs that have overlays.
-Am using the beta branch with DSfix 2.3, freshly downloaded from Durante's blog.

The FPS fix doesn't appear to be working as I thought it would. It is making the whole game run at double speed. Menus, character movement, and all sorts become hard to control.

In addition, I don't get the DSfix enabled message, even when enabling texture overwrite as the previous post said. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Any ideas?

Someone had a problem before with Norton AV (I think) messing with the dinput8.dll. Worth a shot to temporarily disable any antivirus and such to test if they might be interfering. Though the double speed problem specifically is something I've never heard of before in regards to the fps unlocker.

Interestingly enough that's also what happens if you enable 60fps from the debug build that's floating around.

gngf123

Someone had a problem before with Norton AV (I think) messing with the dinput8.dll. Worth a shot to temporarily disable any antivirus and such to test if they might be interfering. Though the double speed problem specifically is something I've never heard of before in regards to the fps unlocker.

Interestingly enough that's also what happens if you enable 60fps from the debug build that's floating around.

I'm running Bitdefender. Downloaded a fresh install of DS and disabled the AV, doesn't seem like it changed anything.

Sickbean

All working perfectly with the Steam version now except for two oddities-

HUD mods don't do anything
In game brightness control has no effect, game seems too much washed out.

jpax

Need help guys.
As soon as I change unlockFPS to 1 the game wont start. I have deactivated v-sync in game and it is set to 0 in dsfix options.
Any idea what is going on?
I am using dsfix 2.3.1

Edit: Oh I see I am not the only one...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Need help guys.
As soon as I change unlockFPS to 1 the game wont start. I have deactivated v-sync in game and it is set to 0 in dsfix options.
Any idea what is going on?
I am using dsfix 2.3.1

Edit: Oh I see I am not the only one...

Try disabling windows DEP if you have the latest version of DSFix and the latest steam version (the beta branch) of Dark Souls.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the link seems down.

You can download it from the Nexus
http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/19/?

Thanks a ton! Was able to download it

Unfortunately, now I'm having weird issues of the game simply not booting up. It either does nothing when I hit Play with the live version, or it just sits at a frozen black screen if I opt into the beta version... This is with a fresh download and before applying DSFix. Going to have to do some troubleshooting...

zma1013

Not a DSfix question but didn't want to make a thread, I thought this Windows Live stuff was gone? It keeps asking me to sign in to it. How do I get rid of it? If I start a new game, is it going to be saved to Steam or Windows Live or whatever?

epmode

If you're playing for the first time and you don't want to keep any old save files, just opt in to the beta branch via the Steam client.

Cutreman

Neo Member
Not a DSfix question but didn't want to make a thread, I thought this Windows Live stuff was gone? It keeps asking me to sign in to it. How do I get rid of it? If I start a new game, is it going to be saved to Steam or Windows Live or whatever?

Before doing any of this, first sign in GFWL one last time to keep achievements and saved games

Go to Library, right-click on Dark Souls and select "Properties" -> Activate the new beta option.

5sb5RYI.jpg

zma1013

Thanks, got the 60 fps working and the gfwl removed. Now the only other thing i got is screen tearing. I turned on vsync in the ini but i still get tears.

Nabs

Thanks, got the 60 fps working and the gfwl removed. Now the only other thing i got is screen tearing. I turned on vsync in the ini but i still get tears.

Set the game to windowed mode, then go into DSFix and enable borderless fullscreen.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Sometimes if I use the steam overlay then go back to the game I drop lock into 30fps.

Just weird.

I think it might be related to youtube?

I'm in a border less window fwiw.

Nabs

Sometimes if I use the steam overlay then go back to the game I drop lock into 30fps.

Just weird.

I think it might be related to youtube?

I'm in a border less window fwiw.

Backspace will toggle 30/60, there's a chance you hit that.

I turn off fullscreen in the settings but it changes the resolution to 1600 x 900

You can't just change the res? How bout hitting alt+enter instead of that?

zma1013

You can't just change the res? How bout hitting alt+enter instead of that?

The option for 1080 disappears and the highest option is 1600 x 900 although it appears to be 1080 still when actually playing, im not sure if i can tell. Have to mess with it some more or take screenshots and see what their res is. It looks 1080 to me though.

EDIT: nevermind, i had my onitor set to 1080 but when switching to my tv had it on 1600 res for windows itself so that's all it was giving me. Fixed now.

Top Bottom