• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Didn't want to start a new thread for this question so I figured I'd post it here...

I'm trying to get the Darkmoon Seance Ring. I looked it up and found that it's in the Catacombs through a secret/breakable wall, inside an open coffin (watched a Youtube video that showed its location). The reason I'm trying to get this is to use it to remove a wall in Anor Londo to fight a secondary boss and acquire the Sunblade Miracle.

Anyway, I went to the Catacombs, broke through the wall and went to the open coffin...and the Darkmoon Seance Ring isn't there? I have never before been in this area, as indicated by the wall not being broken, and the other loot (A Miracle of some kind, I forgot the name) being in the same room up a ladder...what gives? Did I have to get this ring earlier in the game or else it would disappear or something (I'm currently level 89, and backtracked to the Catacombs to pick this up)? I really want to get the Sunblade Miracle, is there another way I can do this without this ring?

Edit: Nevermind...I checked and it's in my bottomless box. Not sure how I got this ring (last time I played this game was like a year and a half ago so it's been a while), I assumed I hadn't since the secret wall was not busted down. I guess I must have found another path to the coffin or something, and then missed getting the Miracle.

New question though: How come sometimes (more often than not lately) after launching the game, the health/endurance bar is huge?

zma1013

Is there any fix for the stuttering that DSfix texture override causes? Seems like it causes stutter trying to load in the custom textures because if i remove them it's gone.

Parsnip

Yes, it's the cross regional play fix. As usual the framerate unlocker is the thing that needs updating after each patch.

I personally wouldn't download random dsfix updates from the steam forums, but to each their own.

StarVigil

nBX1vKO.gif

Really great work that you both have done for this game. Bravo.

sfried

Can't seem to find the proper hastag/command for a regular screencap in DSfixKeys.

Is it singleFrameFullCapture?

Edit: I want to screen cap with HUD intact, just to be clear.

CuNi

Game is crashing at startup for me for some reason.

Yeah this DSFix killed the game for me too *Sadface*
Already tried adding it to the Whitelist of Kasperski just incase he fucks it up somehow.
Still, dies right on the "Press-Start Button" Menu.
Known Issue or plain bad luck?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I had the same problem so I tried resetting every dsfix setting in the .ini to its default and enabling my custom settings one by one to reproduce the crash. In my case, the DOF setting was crashing: dofOverrideResolution was set to 0, the "no change from default" setting, since I hate that stupid blur effect, but it crashed. I had to set an actual resolution there and it worked. I then put dofBlurAmount to 0 to simply remove the DOF effect altogether instead.

Seems like the dofOverrideResolution is bugged. For me, it crashes when it's at 0, but according to the ini file, it should be an accepted value.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Awesome work Durante, thank you!!

Have the Steam Beta version running and starting my first ever Dark Souls run.

Anyone know if there is any way to re-map your controller buttons? My muscle memory from TLoU keeps kicking in and I keep using Estus flasks instead of hitting someone :p

This is going to be hard playing these two games in tandem, stupid muscle memory!!

Yeah this DSFix killed the game for me too *Sadface*
Already tried adding it to the Whitelist of Kasperski just incase he fucks it up somehow.
Still, dies right on the "Press-Start Button" Menu.
Known Issue or plain bad luck?

Does yours freeze at the press start screen but you can still hear audio? Try renaming the frpg_title video file in the movWW folder like so:

3XOuJ4z.png

That's the issue I was having and doing that fixed it for me. It also makes the game start slightly faster!

I have a really weird framerate problem since the Steam update. Whatever DSfix settings I choose, the framerate is all over the place (between 20 and 44). I've always had rock-solid 60fps before the update.

Dr. Buni

I am having a lot of trouble running Dark Souls at 60fps or hell, even at locked 30fps. It is weird because right after I installed my new VGA in January, the game ran flawlessly with the dsfix. Gorgeous graphics and locked 60fps. I was quite satisfied with the performance and the only reason I stopped playing was because I had other games in progress already.

Fast forward to a few days ago. I decided to play Dark Souls for a bit and maybe beat the first boss, if only to know what to expect in terms of difficulty and then... sadness. The game ran at 60fps during the menus, but when the actual game started, it dropped to 35~45, with HUGE and constant drops to 15~20. I tried to change a variety of things in the dsfix.ini, but no success. I removed dsfix, still no success. Also no success when I Installed an older version or when I re-installed the newest version again. The last thing I am attempting to do is redownload the game again, which I am doing at the moment (because I tried validating the files. Twice. And guess what? No success). If this doesn't work, I am out of options.

I really want to play this, though. I already played the other two Souls games. Anyways, I have a i7 2660 and a r7 260x. I can run tons of other games on high at 60fps, like Tomb Raider, BioShock Infinite, Dark Souls II, etc. So I don't think it is a problem of my rig not being powerful enough to handle the game... So, please help.

Edit: I just noticed the user "Song of the Turtle" who posted right above, has or had the same problem as me. I wonder if they figured how to fix the issue? At any rate, it seems like it could not be an issue with my PC or personal configurations then.

Edit 2: The framerate is perfect without the Steamworks patch, but once I installed the patch again... :(

Edit 3: Fixed the issue by formatting the computer. Thanks anyways!

Venin

Does yours freeze at the press start screen but you can still hear audio? Try renaming the frpg_title video file in the movWW folder like so:

3XOuJ4z.png

That's the issue I was having and doing that fixed it for me. It also makes the game start slightly faster!

Oh man. Thank you so much! I never would have figured that out.

ApharmdX

Banned
I've been seeing a weird DSFix problem. Every so often (15 minutes? 30?) I get a frozen screen, which lasts about 5-10 seconds, then Dark Souls goes back to normal. It seems to happen more frequently when I scale down from 4k to 1080p than if I scale down from 1440p to 1080p.

My PC is an i7-4770K, 16GB RAM, with a Gigabyte R9-290X, on the last big AMD driver release (not betas). Help!

Style

Banned
Does anyone here happen to know about a good fix for mouse controls? I have been googling a bit around and found multiple options.

I don't have a gamepad and the default mouse controls feel so wonky.

eot

Banned
I don't know about multiple options.
Just download DSMfix and map the controls to something better than the defaults. With DSMfix the mouse input works okay, the main problem is that the max turn rate is capped since you're basically emulating a stick on a controller.

I don't know why this is happening, but DSFix is making the game crash when my brother attempts to load the current version of the game on a separate account on my PC. He gets to the menu, selects or creates a character and the game would crash when it attempts to load the world. I tested booting the game with DSFix off under his account and it works but I really don't want him to experience Dark Souls without DSFix. Is there anything I can do?

I should note that he doesn't own the game but gets to play it through Steam family sharing.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't know why this is happening, but DSFix is making the game crash when my brother attempts to load the current version of the game on a separate account on my PC. He gets to the menu, selects or creates a character and the game would crash when it attempts to load the world. I tested booting the game with DSFix off under his account and it works but I really don't want him to experience Dark Souls without DSFix. Is there anything I can do?

I should note that he doesn't own the game but gets to play it through Steam family sharing.

Tweak settings and see if theres a specific settings causing the crash.

First I'd disable the framerate unlock. Then just keep going through disabling features until it will hopefully work correctly.

D-VoN

I just finished Dark Souls, and of course used this fix. I just wanted to say thanks!

Try playing without the fix, it's basically unplayable. I've found new light in DS1 playing at 1440/60. It's amazing what a higher resolution and a framerate will do for a game alone.

zma1013

If all else fails, let him play Dark on your account. You can't let him play vanilla on PC.

RedSwirl

I only just realized this game has surround sound, but I have no idea how to get it to work. I have speakers hooked up to my PC through the optical port and I have that port set to the default in the control panel.

Edit: I just installed some software from Realtek and even though Dark Souls audio is still 2.0, it sounds very different. I don't know if it's something not working properly, but in both the main menu and Blighttown there's some kind of echo or reverb going on now.

So I logged on to my brother's steam account under my windows account and the game worked DSFix and all. I think there's something going on with how the file permissions work that prevents DSFix working on another windows account.

You'd think this may be something Durante could fix? This is a problem that no once could predict happening since Dark Souls migrated to steamworks, since now it means it can work with steam family sharing.

So I logged on to my brother's steam account under my windows account and the game worked DSFix and all. I think there's something going on with how the file permissions work that prevent him from loading up DSFix on another windows account.

You'd think this may be something Durante could hotfix in?

I'm pretty sure this is a Windows problem and nothing specific about the patch.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I logged on to my brother's steam account under my windows account and the game worked DSFix and all. I think there's something going on with how the file permissions work that prevents DSFix working on another windows account.

You'd think this may be something Durante could fix? This is a problem that no once could predict happening since Dark Souls migrated to steamworks, since now it means it can work with steam family sharing.

Can't you set up file permissions between accounts if you enter file properties?
Pretty sure I've seen some kind of option for read/write permissions for text files in Winders. It's worth a look around

I already checked file permissions and all users (including the one my brother made) have full access to everything in the Dark Souls folder. We even fiddled with the .ini file settting on his account to test the game.

Pachimari

I think it's better I ask in here, than in the Steam thread, where a helpful gaffer just made the game work on my computer again. My only problem now is, that I can't use my Xbox 360 controller with the game, why is that?

It shows up in Windows, it works perfectly with all of my games, and I have the latest DSfix and drivers installed.

EasyMode

I think it's better I ask in here, than in the Steam thread, where a helpful gaffer just made the game work on my computer again. My only problem now is, that I can't use my Xbox 360 controller with the game, why is that?

It shows up in Windows, it works perfectly with all of my games, and I have the latest DSfix and drivers installed.

Do you have any other controllers plugged in? I'm pretty sure Dark Souls will only work with the X360 controller if no others are connected.

Pachimari

Do you have any other controllers plugged in? I'm pretty sure Dark Souls will only work with the X360 controller if no others are connected.

Oh yeah that's right. I had a bluetooth dongle (for the PlayStation controllers) connected, so unplugged it and the 360 controller works with Dark Souls.

Thank you!

So while all of you play Bloodborne, I'm gonna enjoy Dark Souls 1 on maximum, and literally for the first time (as I never got more than 1 hour into it).

Pachimari

I actually got 2 questions but first. I fought my first BOSS! The Asylum Demon. It was easy but this game is so atmospheric.

01) My character shadow is green, is this normal?
Drivers are updated, and anti-aliasing is off.

02) Can I remap the buttons on my Xbox controller somehow? So that blocking is LT instead of LB.

destx

I actually got 2 questions but first. I fought my first BOSS! The Asylum Demon. It was easy but this game is so atmospheric.

01) My character shadow is green, is this normal?
Drivers are updated, and anti-aliasing is off.

02) Can I remap the buttons on my Xbox controller somehow? So that blocking is LT instead of LB.

If you post a screenshot of that shadow someone might be able to help.

As for other questions, you're probably better off asking in the OT. This thread is just for DSFix related stuff I think.

Parsnip

I posted over on the ENB forums to see if Boris might update the ENB Filter Removal tool for the new Steamworks version of RE5.

Also, if you wanna backup your save, its located here

*OSDRIVE*\Users\*YOURUSERNAME\Documents\CAPCOM\RESIDENT EVIL 5

Wrong thread. :)

Top Bottom