• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

I managed to get SSAO working on my PC with zero performance hit. Not sure if it will hold though. I just followed the steps that guy posted on your blog Durante. I added the data.exe file to the Nvidia Inspector profile and not the darksouls.exe as that is only the launcher and I had no problems with it.

Sorry for the compressed images, hope they illustrate the effect well enough...

2012-08-27_00003.jpg

2012-08-27_00004.jpg
Are you using the Steam version?

Zzoram

Hey guys, maybe someone can help me with this... The game really runs like dogshit on my computer (Q6700 @ 2.8Ghz, HD6770), whether I use the fix or not... I've got very frequent drops to 15 fps, especially in the new areas (which seem to be running at 15 fps more frequently than 30...). It's hardly a good experience...

I tried turning up all the options in the CCC but that didn't seem to do anything at all, I've still got a very similar framerate. Is there any other known fix for that? Damn whoever thought releasing a badly optimized game with no graphical option whatsoever was a good idea.

What resolution do you run the mod? What DOF resolution? What driver version?

Ethranes

I'm really glad that you did this. But just after buying Arma 2 because of a mod made and giving bohemia the money for their game that I had no interest in. I feel dirty giving others money for work that you've done.

Zzoram

I'm really glad that you did this. But just after buying Arma 2 because of a mod made and giving bohemia the money for their game that I had no interest in. I feel dirty giving others money for work that you've done.

You can donate to Durante on his blog where he puts the dsfix download.

Everyone finding v0.5 ok? Only 1 guy having crashes?

Sethos

Banned
I managed to get SSAO working on my PC with zero performance hit. Not sure if it will hold though. I just followed the steps that guy posted on your blog Durante. I added the data.exe file to the Nvidia Inspector profile and not the darksouls.exe as that is only the launcher and I had no problems with it.

Sorry for the compressed images, hope they illustrate the effect well enough...

2012-08-27_00003.jpg

2012-08-27_00004.jpg

Maybe I'm just blind or those images are tiny and compressed but I don't see much or any AO? The barrels and crates behind him and completely shade and shadowless.

Corto

Maybe I'm just blind or those images are tiny and compressed but I don't see much or any AO? The barrels and crates behind him and completely shade and shadowless.

I'll make two comparing shots in the same zone to compare. I used steam screenshot feature and I uploaded to my photobucket account I'll change that.

Arucardo

You're not alone there, I don't see any noticeable AO either, maybe it's visible in motion...

Also, I still can't get over how awesome this game look in 3D, going down narrow halls and stairs is amazing and the dark artstyle takes care of the majority of ghosting that most games have in 3D.

NBtoaster

I got the AO working by just adding Data.exe to the Skyrim profile, not a new one.

ibdCngDxQJsIyt.png

Performance was fine, but dropped to 15 in undead burg for some reason no matter the scene.

I got the AO working by just adding Data.exe to the Skyrim profile, not a new one.

ibdCngDxQJsIyt.png

Performance was fine, but dropped to 15 in undead burg for some reason no matter the scene.

What Driver version, GPU and are you using the Steam version with the overlay on? It just freezes for me when I try it when the graphics should first come up. Still hear the sounds in the background.

Edit: Could you also post your DSfix settings? Thanks.

Ledsen

I have the same setup as you. 1080 dof is too much for my system to handle. 540 Looks great, and Framerate locks at 30.

I say run 3840x2160 with 540 DOF. Looks wonderful and runs like a champ on a 560ti.

Damn, these settings are giving me a framedrop to 15 at the very beginning, as soon as I step into the little pool of water in the second or third room. Weird since you say you have the same setup, and my 2500k is overclocked to 4,5 GHz... anyone else use these settings without drops? Do I have to into my graphics card driver options and set some options to max, like people were talking about earlier, or what?

Hypron

What resolution do you run the mod? What DOF resolution? What driver version?

I run the mod at 1080p (but the framerate is pretty much identical to what I get without the mod). I use the base DOF resolution (0) and I've got the latest AMD drivers (12.8 I think, I downloaded them a few days ago).

Durante

Yeah, I think that's the solution to the "mystery". The SSAO only works if rendering resolution = display resolution. I'll check when I get home.

Hmm, couldnt use fix. Installed onto my nvidia 460m latest drivers laptop running windows 7.

When the game starts up to display the GFWL screen, it goes nuts and flashes between 2 screens and I had to remove fix to be able to start up the game.

Grief.exe

So with my i5 2500k @4.5 GHz and a GTX 560 Ti, should I be able to run 2560x1440 with a 1080 DoF pyramid, keeping 30 fps at all times? If not, what should I lower? How demanding is the 1080 DoF, and is 540 sufficient (visual quality wise)?

I have the same set up except with sli 560 ti, can't get the sli portion to work correctly yet.

I run the game at 1440p downsampled to 1080p, AF turned on, and 1080 DOF.

It runs at about 30% gpu usage, sometimes climbs higher in certain areas. You will run this easily, and I have rarely seen frame rate dips.

I have the same setup as you. 1080 dof is too much for my system to handle. 540 Looks great, and Framerate locks at 30.

I say run 3840x2160 with 540 DOF. Looks wonderful and runs like a champ on a 560ti.

That is a massive internal resolution, you should bump it down slightly. The 1080 DOF is worth it.

I'm getting a picture that only takes up a 1/4 of the screen? What am I doing wrong... Is there some setting that I need to turn off...

Just kidding... Thanks for this addon Durante! We really appreciate all the work you've put into it.

Okay, I know I'm risking being a douchebag by asking this, but I did read all the instructions and I had this happen. In fact, having recently read this post, I thought, ah! This must be how the game really starts, for dramatic effect. I'm so smart, I'm not freaking out because I read GAF! Then it never "went wide" like I thought it would (also I remembered this is not a Quantic Dream game). So what exactly have I missed?

1. It says turn off d3doverrider, etc. I have ati try tools but I think they are off; will try tonight.
2. It says turn off in-game DOF. Where it that? All I see are anti-aliasing and motion blur options.

Really super sorry for asking this, since it's apparently a thing... but this thread is now 54 pages and the thread search did not help much.

So has anyone finished the entire game using the fix?

Im loving it so far, the texture work is amazing, cant remember the last time I saw a PC game with textures like this, maybe Max Payne 2.

mr_nothin

Banned
Yeah, I think that's the solution to the "mystery". The SSAO only works if rendering resolution = display resolution. I'll check when I get home.

D:
Holy crap,
Ok so I did some messing around and that's exactly it. It's also the reason why you couldn't force AA in the game by using Nvidia Inspector. As of now, I have SSAO & OGSMAA + SGSSAA all in the game at the same time

So if you want to use SSAO AND Super high AA (SGSSAA + OGSSAA) then do this:
1. Set the internal resolution to your display resolution (IMPORTANT )
- So if your display resolution is 1920x1080 then go to DSfix.ini set renderWidth to 1920 and renderHeight to 1080

2. Add DarkSouls profile to Nvidia Inspector by adding only the "data.exe" file

3. For SGSSAA and/or OGSSAA then use this AA compatibility flag: 0x004000C0.
- Set AA mode to "Override"
- Set AA setting to your liking (im running at 16xS, which is ogssaa)

4. For SSAO use the Skyrim AO flag:
- For a Sublte Effect, use this flag: 0x00000029 (Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)
- For a More Visible Effect, use this flag: 0x00000003 (Fallout 3)
- Set Ambient Occlusion setting to "High Quality"
- Set Ambient Occlusion usage to "Enabled"

iLdhnPcc1i6uD.jpg

Here's a few comparisons for the diff SSAO bits. Everything here is 1080p w/ 16xS (2x2 Supersampling + 4x MSAA):
If you cant see the difference then pay attention to the misplaced floor bricks, the character's armor around his neck area, the grass blades, and the long dark brown piece of wood to the right
SSAO OFF:
ip3fK8pHnBBeG.bmp

SSAO ON (Skyrim bit):
iblc9XsUbDjtPb.bmp

SSAO ON (Fallout 3 bit):
ieyIkeCZ2p5Zx.bmp

mr_nothin

Banned
Thanks for posting your inspector pic! It is so much more helpful to be able to look and see all of your settings in cases like this.

Dont try the 16xS
It really pushes your PC. 12xS on my PC runs smooth, whereas 16xS runs at 15fps. I'm trying to find the best looking/running settings as of now.

8x MS + 8x SGSSAA runs perfect but it doesnt look anywhere near as good as 12xS.
At least we have proper AA now!

Peterthumpa

Dont try the 16xS
It really pushes your PC. 12xS on my PC runs smooth, whereas 16xS runs at 15fps. I'm trying to find the best looking/running settings as of now.

8x MS + 8x SGSSAA runs perfect but it doesnt look anywhere near as good as 12xS.
At least we have proper AA now!

Care to post your PC's specs?

D:
Holy crap,
Ok so I did some messing around and that's exactly it. It's also the reason why you couldn't force AA in the game by using Nvidia Inspector. As of now, I have SSAO & OGSMAA + SGSSAA all in the game at the same time

So if you want to use SSAO AND Super high AA (SGSSAA + OGSSAA) then do this:
1. Set the internal resolution to your display resolution
- So if your display resolution is 1920x1080 then go to DSfix.ini set renderWidth to 1920 and renderHeight 1080

2. Add DarkSouls profile to Nvidia Inspector by adding only the "data.exe" file

3. For SGSSAA and/or OGSSAA then use this AA compatibility flag: 0x004000C0.
- Set AA mode to "Override"
- Set AA setting to your liking (im running at 16xS, which is ogssaa)

4. For SSAO use the Skyrim AO flag: 0x00000029 (Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)
- Set Ambient Occlusion setting to "High Quality"
- Set Ambient Occlusion usage to "Enabled"

I'll be posting sample pictures soon...

iRcbUYkzSh0h2.jpg

Dark Souls running on Gamebryo confirmed.

Amazing work Durante. Your mod will be the reason I pick up this game on PC when my backlog is a little lighter. I will also be donating when that happens. You deserve the money, not From.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Edit: That's 4xMSAA at 1080p, by the way.

So no supersampling via the .ini then right?

I wonder which would be/look/perform the best, going 4xmsaa at 1080p or just going 3840x2160 in the ini and downsample to 1080p.

scitek

So no supersampling via the .ini then right?

I wonder which would be/look/perform the best, going 4xmsaa at 1080p or just going 3840x2160 in the ini and downsample to 1080p.
Well, I think super sampling would look better, but you can't use AO with it. If you use one of the settings in Inspector tht combines SSAA with MSAA, you'll have the best of both worlds. I'm looking forward to trying out some SGSSAA later.

Also, for anyone wondering, everything I've ever read with regards to SGSSAA says to only use the same number of MSAA as whatever SGSSAA you want because it uses the sample points from MSAA. A lot of people think SGSSAA is used in tandem with MSAA, and so the higher the MSAA sample number the better, but that's not the case. For best results, use 2xMSAA with 2xSGSSAA, and so on.

Chinner

Banned
so if you want ssao to work you need to render at native resolution, right? which means you'll have to use msaa(which we now have) and not downsample.

that about right/

So guys I did everything as it should be, but when I go ingame, it's not full screen and part of my screen is grayed out.

Any help?

Nevermind, I should turn of the AA if I read the readme correctly.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Can people knock this shit off? Because it's getting really old.

The sentiment is absolutely on point for a lot of people though. For me, the port as it was released was a $5-only deal before Durante's patch. Now I'll pick it up at the first ~$25 sale.

Durante saved this game and made Namco a lot more money in the process.

Raide

Anyone else here kill for this modded version to come out for 720/PS4? Hopefully before Dark Souls 2 get announced.

Top Bottom