• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Thrakier

I think this calls for a thread title change. this new updates is HUGE.

It seems I am getting rock solid 60 fps @1080p now. I will check now if I can still supersample a bit.

How to get rid of tearing: Enable borderless fulscreen mode in the .ini, then enable windowed mode in game. Done.

Normally playing in windowed mode means that you loose some picture information. Is that the case for DS as well? Because of this I never use that borderless fullscreen mode.

When unlocking framerate it gives me the message that an error with the framerate has been detected, and boots me to the title screen and stops me from going online. Is this new?

Using 1.7

Sullichin

Twice now I've been stuck resting at a bonfire, just sitting there and i can't do anything. This has never happened before I used the 60fps patch. Known issue?

I think the 60FPS fix is messing with the gameplay a bit. :( I wasnt able to make the jump to get to the ravens nest at firelink shrine with 60FPS enabled. I did it once but that was luck. At 30FPS I can do it every time. Also on the path to that spot I was blocked sometimes by collision problems on steps etc. :(
Holy shit, I was going crazy wondering why I couldn't make it over a few tiny steps. I even died a few times trying to roll over one (Great Hollow).
I also had extreme difficulty making a certain jump in Blighttown. It all makes sense now.
I guess I have to go back to 30 to do the jump.

Durante

I'm not sure about the impact on jump distance. It's probably there, but if so the difference is really tiny. I've been playing at 45-60 FPS for 6 hours now or so and didn't notice it. I even made the jump on top of Sen's twice. It's probably only really relevant for very close stuff like the firelink shrine jump. I guess I could add a key that allows you to toggle a 30 FPS lock on for such moments.

Twice now I've been stuck resting at a bonfire, just sitting there and i can't do anything. This has never happened before I used the 60fps patch. Known issue?
It can happen even without the FPS fix, but it seems more frequent if the fix is enabled. It hasn't happened to me yet but I've had a few reports.

Sullichin

Bonfire thing just happened again. Seems to happen when I move in the menus quickly while resting.

And I thought I was crazy too because I couldn't make the jump in firelink that leads back to the asylum, after doing it a million times. It's like my momentum goes away in mid air and I just plummet.

Durante, would it make sense to set unlockFPS to 1 and FPSLimit to 30 - meaning could this potentially get rid of drops to 15fps when my framerate drops in 30fps mode, or does unlockFPS not do anything unless the limit is higher than 30?

Durante

Durante, would it make sense to set unlockFPS to 1 and FPSLimit to 30 - meaning could this potentially get rid of drops to 15fps when my framerate drops in 30fps mode, or does unlockFPS not do anything unless the limit is higher than 30?
UnlockFPS is completely decoupled from the FPS limiter, so that's perfectly fine.

I just tried the firelink jump and failed, I'll try adding a key to toggle a 30 FPS limit on/off for these specific instances.

antitrop

I think the 60FPS fix is messing with the gameplay a bit. :( I wasnt able to make the jump to get to the ravens nest at firelink shrine with 60FPS enabled. I did it once but that was luck. At 30FPS I can do it every time. Also on the path to that spot I was blocked sometimes by collision problems on steps etc. :(
It's all in your head.

At 60fps I am still able to make that jump to the Raven's nest 100% of the time, and I know exactly what "collision problem on the steps" you are talking about because I ran into that weeks ago at 30fps before a 60fps patch even existed.

Try taking a FRAPs video of it and uploading it, because I can't see how 60fps has anything to do with that jump and I can't reproduce your glitch.

Durante

It's all in your head.

At 60fps I am still able to make that jump to the Raven's nest 100% of the time, and I know exactly what "collision problem on the steps" you are talking about because I ran into that weeks ago at 30fps before a 60fps patch even existed.

Try taking a FRAPs video of it and uploading it, because I can't see how 60fps has anything to do with that jump and I can't reproduce your glitch.
No, I don't think it's just imagination.

I just tried the jump twice and missed, then I toggled to 30 FPS (ugh it's terrible!) and made it on the first try.

I now have a keybinding for enabling/disabling the 30 FPS limit, so people can use that for the few seconds it matters.

Since I'm a guy who likes his frame rate to be stable, I've stuck with 30 fps but I'm still using the fix. I've got the frame rate unlock on, cap set to 30 and D3DOverrider running so it's an absolutely perfect 30 with zero drops. Last time I fought Quelaag it was chug city but this time it didn't drop a single frame.

But here's another oddity. While playing with those settings listed above I ran into this silly glitch. Check out my guy's legs!

I've never run into that before using the UnlockFPS setting but I kinda like it.

Sullichin

Since I'm a guy who likes his frame rate to be stable, I've stuck with 30 fps but I'm still using the fix. I've got the frame rate unlock on, cap set to 30 and D3DOverrider running so it's an absolutely perfect 30 with zero drops. Last time I fought Quelaag it was chug city but this time it didn't drop a single frame.

But here's another oddity. While playing with those settings listed above I ran into this silly glitch. Check out my guy's legs!

I've never run into that before using the UnlockFPS setting but I kinda like it.

This is a common glitch even in the PS3 version, especially at that bonfire.

Durante

I had this happen twice even before the FPS fix.

Let's just call it a stretching exercise.

I have settled for not using supersampling anymore, I preper the higher framerate for sure.
1080p native, DOF 810, Blur 1, SMAA Ultra and SSAO on I am getting hardly any drops below 60, amazing.
Anor Londo feels to good with this.

I have a strange bug where the hud size switches between vanilla and modded hud when moving the camera vertically. Not sure what it is about. Switching back to old HUD fixes the issue.

All the fibers in my body say go try 60fps! But then I read (DSfix.ini) I could get banned from GFWL and although I'm not a fan of it, it's kinda necessary for multiplayer... so aren't you guys afraid of being banned?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So far the only oddity I've noticed at 60 FPS is that the undead dragon's poison breath seems to clip through the ground now making what was already a super easy fight even easier. Happened with both the valley dragon and the one in the painted world.

Sullichin

Don't know what I'm doing wrong with D3DOverrider. It just won't open for me

All the fibers in my body say go try 60fps! But then I read (DSfix.ini) I could get banned from GFWL and although I'm not a fan of it, it's kinda necessary for multiplayer... so aren't you guys afraid of being banned?

I think the general consensus is that Microsoft doesn't even give a damn about the people who are cheating, because they're not getting banned. We should be fine.

CaLe

Is there any other site I can download mods from... DS Nexus keeps timing out for me when I try to download something, quite frustrating:

"Uh oh, seems like our database is struggling a little at the moment. Please retry in a few minutes!"

Gvaz

Banned
Wow. Playing this at 60 fps is a whole new experience.

I mess around a bit with it last night on the Gwyn fight. I think 60fps made that fight alot easier for me since his sword strikes are a lot more fluid (if that makes sense), the timing is a lot easier to parry his blows.
I think the reason for this is probably input lag. at 30 fps I notice something coming and I go to parry and I have to get it 100% correct or nothing. at 60fps I can get it every time. It's a lot less frustrating.

Thrakier

I have to say it's amazing how perception changes. I was fine with 30FPS and got used to it. After playing 60 for a while and going back to 30, I had to check it's not 15 and really 30 because it seemd like 15. And then there are still people who insist that you can't see the difference above 24 pictures. ;D

Holy shit, I was going crazy wondering why I couldn't make it over a few tiny steps. I even died a few times trying to roll over one (Great Hollow).
I also had extreme difficulty making a certain jump in Blighttown. It all makes sense now.
I guess I have to go back to 30 to do the jump.

UnlockFPS is completely decoupled from the FPS limiter, so that's perfectly fine.

I just tried the firelink jump and failed, I'll try adding a key to toggle a 30 FPS limit on/off for these specific instances.

I just tried it and succeeded... I guess there's some animation/input ratio that decreases as you go up in FPS.

Anyway... if you want to succeed every single time (ONLY ON FIRELINK WAY TO THE RAVEN'S NEST), don't jump... ROLL! I never miss like that! NEVER

But that's just my way of playing this game LOL

Grief.exe

I have settled for not using supersampling anymore, I preper the higher framerate for sure.
1080p native, DOF 810, Blur 1, SMAA Ultra and SSAO on I am getting hardly any drops below 60, amazing.
Anor Londo feels to good with this.

I have a strange bug where the hud size switches between vanilla and modded hud when moving the camera vertically. Not sure what it is about. Switching back to old HUD fixes the issue.

It happens when the sun rays hit your screen, would be pretty common in anor londo

Victrix

*beard*
No, I don't think it's just imagination.

I just tried the jump twice and missed, then I toggled to 30 FPS (ugh it's terrible!) and made it on the first try.

I now have a keybinding for enabling/disabling the 30 FPS limit, so people can use that for the few seconds it matters.

This is kind of a problem - unless you also include a list of every jump that is affected by the fps, someone who isn't intimately familiar with the game won't know that they're missing a jump due to fps, not because they simply can't make the jump

CaLe

Enabling SMAA in 1.7 causes the game to crash for me at start-up, anyone has the same problem ?

670, I'm running the latest nVidia drivers.

Durante

I think the reason for this is probably input lag. at 30 fps I notice something coming and I go to parry and I have to get it 100% correct or nothing. at 60fps I can get it every time. It's a lot less frustrating.
Yeah, at the very least it reduces input lag from 33 ms to 16 ms, but probably more than that.

This is kind of a problem - unless you also include a list of every jump that is affected by the fps, someone who isn't intimately familiar with the game won't know that they're missing a jump due to fps, not because they simply can't make the jump
If they are worried about that then they shouldn't use 60 FPS. There are already a ton of disclaimers above the option, but I guess I'll add some more.

Falxix

Are any of you playing online with the fps unlocked? I just want to make sure before I use it.

I was summoned a few times for the Forest Hunter Covenant with the 60fps patch, and everything seemed to work out fine. From what I've heard the only claim of someone getting banned from the patch was a friend of a Gamefaqs poster, so that's dubious at best. Though it does carry the risk, I don't think there have been any verified reports of a ban.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What's a good DOF setting if I'm running 1920x1200? I want it to look as close to the normal setting as possible.

Nekrono

Durante you are THE MAN!

Playing with the latest version of DSFix with the following settings:

Internal res: 2560x1440
SMAAQuality: 3
SSAO: 2
DOF: 810
DOF Blur: 1

Gets me 60 FPS just about everywhere! I get drops every now and then to around 45ish but then it goes back to 60. I went back to Blighttown through the back door and looked down and it only went down to 39 so it's definitely and improvement.

Big props to you and Barnier, not only have you made this a proper PC port but a fantastic one!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, I just turned on 60fps... It's glorious. I felt the game played fine at 30fps, but I had no idea what I was missing out on. So smooth!

The reduction in input lag is extremely obvious, too. The game feels much more responsive. This is going to make parrying and timing attacks so much easier.

My only problem now is that I'm getting mad tearing. Is there any way to enable v-sync?

edit: looks like there is, although it's in the "not yet ready to use section." I'll give it at try.

Would some of you folks running 60FPS mind posting your specs? I want to see how far off my machine is to be able to run that because it sounds awesome.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Intel Core i5 2500k (Sandy Bridge)
4GB of DDR3 1333 RAM
Radeon 5870 1GB

Unlocking the FPS also seems to have gotten rid of those weird drops in framerate when looking at a wall or some other surface up close. It's really smooth throughout.

My only problem is tearing, which was reduced by enabling the experimental v-sync option in the ini file, but still persists somewhat.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The best way to do triple-buffered vsync in fullscreen is by using D3Doverrider. It works perfectly.

I'd like to try that. Is D3Doverrider a program or some kind of ini file?

I'd Google it, but I want to make sure it's not something specific to Dark Souls.

Sullichin

I'd like to try that. Is D3Doverrider a program or some kind of ini file?

I'd Google it, but I want to make sure it's not something specific to Dark Souls.

It's a program that works for any DirectX application. There's a link earlier in this thread.

It does fix the screen tearing flawlessly.

Top Bottom