• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zeal said:
Dark Souls lOTl So the Industry Might be Mended

Brilliant. Make it happen.

I pre-ordered the game about 3 months ago even though I won't have time to play it till January. Just some developers you got to support.

Onion_Relish said:
Maybe we should have a vote on:

Dark Souls [OT] Afterlife Support Group

or

Dark Souls [OT] So the industry might be mended.

Personally I like mine better. Less is more. But I can see why the second one is popular. Its unfortunate that DS won't actually be able to fix the industry, but its nice that it's trying nonetheless.

My vote is for "So the industry might be mended." Plus his is only 5 letters more than yours so I don't know how that really applys.

Dunan

Onion_Relish said:
Maybe we should have a vote on:

Dark Souls [OT] Afterlife Support Group

or

Dark Souls [OT] So the industry might be mended.

Personally I like mine better. Less is more. But I can see why the second one is popular. Its unfortunate that DS won't actually be able to fix the industry, but its nice that it's trying nonetheless.

They're both excellent, but it's also true that Demon's Souls is a cold, hard, unrelentingly miserable experience that doesn't lend itself to fluffy happy things like support groups.

I still like yours, though, because players need all the support they can get, but OTOH the Maiden in Black had such a great voice and such great lines in DS that she deserves to be immortalized here on GAF too.

(Really, they're all good. And if I weren't on semi-blackout and actually understood the "eggs" reference, I'd probably declare that one excellent as well!)

I've been playing this for review. I'm not allowed to say anything. But I'll say this:

I hope all of you are prepared to die.

Like, a lot.

SERIOUSLY.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Chinpoko_Master said:
Are you still making avatars? I'd like one.

imgur said:
2hKk6.jpg
PUxla.jpg
unT3Y.jpg
Hn2vz.jpg
yUHji.jpg
NmrrS.jpg

Hey it was easier to post here than pm... tried to do what you asked. I don't have photoshop on this pc, and the program i'm using atm pixelates images if you try and resize too small, so it limits what i can do. Hard to fit the whole mound in there and keep quality unfortunately.

Actually this will probably make me DL gimp or something because it's kind of annoying not being able to resize images lol... that's like the most basic thing.

Nix

Banned
oneils said:
Buuuurns. So the strategy guide is digital only? Sniff.
There's apparently going to be some monster of a strategy guide (400 pages about) available for purchase. I know, Bandai.

KefkaTaran said:
I've been playing this for review. I'm not allowed to say anything. But I'll say this:

Like, a lot.

SERIOUSLY.

Good, honestly watching the videos they put up makes the game look easy to me, I want a challenge.

My reason for afterlife support group as the title implicates a reality well all experience. Death in the game, prepare to die after all. It is less is more in that you get it right away and know it's true and its pretty witty as well. The other popular one is definitely good, but I feel it doesn't quite have the punch as the other one as its more of a literal statement. I don't know, I feel kind of dumb for putting up the current one as it does have relevance to the game but is definitely cryptic compared to other stuff.

If people really want "the industry might be mended..." title then that's what it will be. Like said, for me it doesn't do as much for me as the other.

Sorry for the random banter!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I wish I could contribute to this thread... but I'm currently on slow ass mobile Internet. You guys will have a solid 500-600 posts from me by the time this thread reaches OT2.

edit: also, I don't get the OT title.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
My reason for afterlife support group as the title implicates a reality well all experience. Death in the game, prepare to die after all. It is less is more in that you get it right away and know it's true and its pretty witty as well. The other popular one is definitely good, but I feel it doesn't quite have the punch as the other one as its more of a literal statement. I don't know, I feel kind of dumb for putting up the current one as it does have relevance to the game but is definitely cryptic compared to other stuff.

I think After Life Support Group would be a good title. Or maybe something like "Death is just the beginning".

Whatever, I just want to play the damn game already. ;_;

Canova

Banned
Yoshichan said:
You guys will have a solid 500-600 posts from me by the time this thread reaches OT2.

yeah I expect mine to run in the hundreds too. Between Demon's Souls OT and OT2, my post number is close to 1000, if not over 1000 already

kyubajin

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

If people really want "the industry might be mended..." title then that's what it will be. Like said, for me it doesn't do as much for me as the other.

Good points, however I believe the whole "Support Group" thing doesn't ring well with the oppressive and dark nature of the game where it's every man for himself in theory, as it's obvious we're here to help each other out :)

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

I agree with your stance good sir

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gorgon said:
My vote definetely goes for "Dark Souls lOTl So the Industry Might be Mended"
I love, love, love this title. But shouldn't it be "So that the Industry Might be Mended"?

Zeal

Banned
KefkaTaran said:

Like, a lot.

SERIOUSLY.
Good, im glad at least someone I know is reviewing it. Fuck all the haters. A true soul would give it a perfect score.

Ill have my copy this friday. Will help anyone else importing with translations.

Yoshichan

Zeal said:
Fuck all the haters. A true soul would give it a perfect score.
There are no true (PW) souls in the gaming review market.

I asked this earlier in the thread but I don't think anyone answered. Does anyone know which boxart we'l be getting for the limited edition in the UK?

bVmF9.jpg

RiB6p.jpg

Everywhere seems to be showing the first one but when I preordered (and the one which I'd prefer) it was the second one. I really don't like that Dark Bros cover and I thought that was just the American boxart.

EDIT I just noticed the packaging part in the OP. I wonder why they changed it.

Foffy

Banned
Pupi18 said:
Im so buying the game to the point Im selling some Xbox 360 games at my college XD

As long as you don't sacrifice your humanity...you'll be needing it for the game. :3

Pupi18 said:
Im so buying the game to the point Im selling some Xbox 360 games at my college XD

I'm going to have spasms every day after work deciding to play Dark Souls or Gears of War 3 with the little time I have. :(

My holiday backlog of Batman, Rage, Forza 4, UC3, MGS HD Collection, heck even my Deus Ex copy that just arrived in the mail (got it for $30, couldn't resist) are all likely to not be touched for a while.

Damn this holiday season!

Hi2u

Banned
I never played Dark Souls for more than a couple of hours. Unfortunately I didn't get round to playing it again after that, and with this coming out now I don't really fancy going back to its predecessor, even though its definitely something I missed out on and seemed amazing as it's just my cup of tea.

However one thing I noticed about both games is the fact you have to use shoulder buttons to use your weapons. I found it hard to get used to as swiping with a weapon is usually done with the front four buttons in a game like this. Was this a design choice? and is there a way to play it the more standard way? btw I played Dark Souls this weekend at Gamefest and it was fantastic! got my LE edition preordered. Definately not missing out this time :)

oneils

Nix said:
There's apparently going to be some monster of a strategy guide (400 pages about) available for purchase. I know, Bandai.

Yeah. Earlier in the thread someone linked to this: Dark Souls The Official Guide

I'm kind of disappointed, though. I only pre-ordered the game because I wanted a physical copy of the mini-guide. Oh well.

Varna

Hi2u said:
I never played Dark Souls for more than a couple of hours. Unfortunately I didn't get round to playing it again after that, and with this coming out now I don't really fancy going back to its predecessor, even though its definitely something I missed out on and seemed amazing as it's just my cup of tea.

However one thing I noticed about both games is the fact you have to use shoulder buttons to use your weapons. I found it hard to get used to as swiping with a weapon is usually done with the front four buttons in a game like this. Was this a design choice? and is there a way to play it the more standard way? btw I played Dark Souls this weekend at Gamefest and it was fantastic! got my LE edition preordered. Definately not missing out this time :)

The reason this is done is because you can attack with items equipped on your left hand as well. It's far more intuitive that way.

And you should definitely play Demons Souls. It wasn't some "game with a lot of potential." Game was an instant classic.

Yoshichan

Hi2u said:
This was designed on purpose since you can attack, cast spells and use your bow on your left hand.

Alright well I will try to get the title changed tonight to the popular one. I think I may just shorten it to 'so the industry might be mended,' for continuity with the actual quote. Oh wait, that was the original suggestion. There were a few with added words. Sorry!

Regarding the CE packaging, the recent information and images show that the blue cover with the knights helmet is most likely the official packaging for NA/PAL it seems. The other image posted only a few posts ago is old, when a CE was first announced and was just placeholder I believe. However on play-Asia the Asian version CE still shows that package design...

Carbonox

That's that. I've officially taken the plunge. Dark Souls preordered. I also preordered the strategy guide as it sounds and looks nice.

I took advantage on Zavvi by ordering the two together for £50, then using the £5 off code to knock it down to £45, arguably standard price for Limited Editions. So I guess you could say I'm getting the guide for free, and then some!

AtomHeart

Neo Member
Had a very very quick go on Dark Souls yesterday, the character I was playing had a ton of armour on so I decided to take it off and he looked absolutely hideous. Skinny as can be with red patchy skin, red eyes and horrible hair, I laughed my ass off at the sight of him.

I assume the character looked like this as a result of a ton of deaths?

Yoshichan

AtomHeart said:
Had a very very quick go on Dark Souls yesterday, the character I was playing had a ton of armour on so I decided to take it off and he looked absolutely hideous. Skinny as can be with red patchy skin, red eyes and horrible hair, I laughed my ass off at the sight of him.

What? You create your own character...

Foffy

Banned
AtomHeart said:

Maybe that was the Undead form? The character's appearance becomes more disgusting when they don't have a human form.

AtomHeart

Neo Member
Yoshichan said:
What? You create your own character...

I was at gamefest, I just jumped on it when someone else got off.

Foffy said:
Maybe that was the Undead form? The character's appearance becomes more disgusting when they don't have a human form.

Well it certainly was more disgusting.

Yoshichan

AtomHeart said:
Oh! Haha, yeah the guy who created the character probably just used the randomization function :p

ironcreed

Banned
AtomHeart said:

Well it certainly was more disgusting.

Ah, being Hollowed. I know it has something to do with losing your humanity, but I wish someone more in the know would elaborate a bit on that. Are there any benefits when you hollow and what are the drawbacks/penalties? I actually think it looks great, by the way. Interesting new feature.

CatPee

AtomHeart said:

No, he looks like that as a result of your ingenious character design at the beginning of the game.

EDIT: Bah, misread that as Demon's Souls.

Orayn

AtomHeart said:

Your character starts off in the "hollowed" state, which is what happens to you after you die, comparable to soul form in Demon's Souls. Hollowed players can't invite others to join them for co-op, but they can jump into other players' games. You can go back to being fully human by spending a point of humanity at a bonfire.

Yoshichan

Great job mods :)

SeanR1221

I loved Demon's Souls, but my problem was they barely explained things.

I hope this game fixes that.

I'm also not sure WHEN I'll get it.

Gears is Tuesday and Batman is the 10/18, so I'm afraid I won't get to this till after Christmas...

SeanR1221 said:
I loved Demon's Souls, but my problem was they barely explained things.

I hope this game fixes that.

I'm also not sure WHEN I'll get it.

Gears is Tuesday and Batman is the 10/18, so I'm afraid I won't get to this till after Christmas...

Exchange Batman with Dark Souls, my friend. Then you're set for like a year straight.

*disclaimer: Batman will indeed be awesome but it won't have the replayability and depth as Gears and Dark Souls. Plus, if you pre-order, you get UPGRADED to the CE!

AtomHeart

Neo Member
ironcreed said:
Ah, being Hollowed. I know it has something to do with losing your humanity, but I wish someone more in the know would elaborate a bit on that. Are there any benefits when you hollow and what are the drawbacks/penalties? I actually think it looks great, by the way. Interesting new feature.

I wish I knew more, I only had a really brief go because my friend was being really impatient and rushed me off because he was getting bored of watching me, he's kinda narrow minded when it comes to anything that isn't an FPS or Minecraft.

I got on the machine when my guy was already disfigured so I had no way of telling if I was taking more damage/dealing less damage or anything like that. :( The graphics were absolutely amazing though, I was playing it on the 360 and it looks gorgeous, much better than Demon's Souls by a long shot.

Your character starts off in the "hollowed" state, which is what happens to you after you die, comparable to soul form in Demon's Souls. Hollowed players can't invite others to join them for co-op, but they can jump into other players' games. You can go back to being fully human by spending a point of humanity at a bonfire.

Ah that clears it up, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom