• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
Orayn said:
Your character starts off in the "hollowed" state, which is what happens to you after you die, comparable to soul form in Demon's Souls. Hollowed players can't invite others to join them for co-op, but they can jump into other players' games. You can go back to being fully human by spending a point of humanity at a bonfire.

Oh, so being hollowed is just like being in soul form in Demon's Souls and instead of just seeing your soul form you are a walking rotted corpse?

Orayn

ironcreed said:
Oh, so being hollowed is just like being in soul form in Demon's Souls and instead of just seeing your soul form you are a walking rotted corpse?
Yep. That's your character's gift/curse, and what got them banished to the undead asylum in the first place.

ironcreed

Banned
Orayn said:
Yep. That's your character's gift/curse, and what got them banished to the undead asylum in the first place.

Here I was thinking that it was some new state in addition to soul form. Thanks for finally clarifying that for me. I think I may actually like it this way better.

SeanR1221

Infamous Chris said:
Exchange Batman with Dark Souls, my friend. Then you're set for like a year straight.

*disclaimer: Batman will indeed be awesome but it won't have the replayability and depth as Gears and Dark Souls. Plus, if you pre-order, you get UPGRADED to the CE!

It's part of my buy 5 get 100.00 back at Best Buy, so I can't :(

Zeal

Banned
May I ask how many members of DSGaf will be importing with us? I know Indigo_Cyclops is -- who else? Will have my copy this friday.

ironcreed

Banned
Zeal said:
May I ask how many members of DSGaf will be importing with us? I know Indigo_Cyclops is -- who else? Will have my copy this friday.

I imported Demon's Souls because I was not sure if it was going to release in NA, but I can stand to wait a couple of weeks this time and will be sticking with my pre-order. However, I am counting on some good impressions to tide me over.

satori

I played the hell out of demon soul. Can not wait for this one....Sigh now to decide which version to get. Friends are pretty split in terms of who is getting it for what. I think more it is leaning toward the PS3 just for familiarities, but I have some buds that only owns a 360. I am assuming it would be pretty much the same on both platform performance wise?

cj_iwakura

So I read a little about the covenants, and I have a question:

Does the Furtive Pygmy have a faction?

I'll probably role with my girls in the witch posse, but just curious.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I should really finish Demons Soul. I loved the game, no idea why I stopped.

Do we know if we are going to be able to copy the save data? I played over 100 hours of DS and have yet to beat it because of lost saves...

TheExecutive said:
Do we know if we are going to be able to copy the save data? I played over 100 hours of DS and have yet to beat it because of lost saves...
pretty sure they are copy protected, someone who has a review copy mentioned it a page or so back.

CatPee

satori said:
I played the hell out of demon soul. Can not wait for this one....Sigh now to decide which version to get. Friends are pretty split in terms of who is getting it for what. I think more it is leaning toward the PS3 just for familiarities, but I have some buds that only owns a 360. I am assuming it would be pretty much the same on both platform performance wise?

There hasn't really been any solid evidence that one platform runs better than the other, really. I'd assume that PS3 would have a slightly larger player base if only because of the already established Demon's Souls base. You should go where your friends are at, but the game most likely isn't gonna be all that friendly in terms of allowing you to get a group together though.

cj_iwakura said:
So I read a little about the covenants, and I have a question:

Does the Furtive Pygmy have a faction?
I read there are some factions you might not even find on your first playthrough, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's referring to the Pygmy. It'd also make sense, what with the Pygmy being "easily forgotten" and everything.

kyubajin

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
That's that. I've officially taken the plunge. Dark Souls preordered. I also preordered the strategy guide as it sounds and looks nice.

I took advantage on Zavvi by ordering the two together for £50, then using the £5 off code to knock it down to £45, arguably standard price for Limited Editions. So I guess you could say I'm getting the guide for free, and then some!
Thanks for the tip!

I had it pre-ordered with thehut for £51 total and changed it right away :)

Foffy

Banned
SpeedySwaf said:
I read there are some factions you might not even find on your first playthrough, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's referring to the Pygmy. It'd also make sense, what with the Pygmy being "easily forgotten" and everything.

Are you referring to the director's reference to a hidden covenant in the game?

Just a request, anyone want to create CD case art for the soundtrack? Would really like to have it seperate as part of my CD collection. Failing that, if anyone has a template so I can do my own that would be cool.

A demo for DkS(is this the official abbreviation?) would both be awesome and kind of evil. I'd like to go into the game blind(well, as much as I can), so a demo would take away a bit, but I also don't feel like playing any other game right now because I'm anticipating this.

Giard

Question about pre-ordering. Does the CE upgrade apply to every copy, or copies from big stores? I want to pre-order at a small retailer in Canada, but I'm scared I won't get the CE.

kyubajin

Giard said:
Question about pre-ordering. Does the CE upgrade apply to every copy, or copies from big stores? I want to pre-order at a small retailer in Canada, but I'm scared I won't get the CE.
Maybe you should ask the retailer directly as in the number of copies they can upgrade to CE.

Giard

kyubajin said:
Maybe you should ask the retailer directly as in the number of copies they can upgrade to CE.

I guess I should've done that before, I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks.

Giard said:

If Canada is getting the CE, then your copy should be one. IIRC, the entire first print is the CE. I could be wrong, though. Anyone have definite info on that?

HitokiriNate85 said:
If Canada is getting the CE, then your copy should be one. IIRC, the entire first print is the CE. I could be wrong, though. Anyone have definite info on that?
I would hope this is the case, and namco has made it seem like a universal issue with PAL and NA copies that preorder results in an automatic but limited time upgrade.

Calcaneus said:
I still need to beat Demon's Souls, and considering my pace lately......see you guys in year!
aha Ive buckled down and been plowing through it during the week. I spent about four hours farming 1-1's red and blue knights to get souls and herbs then ive worked my way into some kind of rhythm. Managed to beat 3 stages today! Maybe if I finish the game soonish Ill pick up Darksouls!

Will F

Really fighting the urge to import this and then double dip on the NA version a couple weeks later. More than happy to give the developers more of my money, but busy enough at work right now that I probably wouldn't get enough time to play the imported copy in the next two weeks anyways.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I would like to know this as well...

If you mean buying the JP version, you know I'll already be there day one.

feel

I'm reading that enemies respawn when you reenter an area? Is that true? I hate games that do that. With how though common enemies already seem to be in this and my love for exploring cleared areas at will, this could be a deal breaker. :/

Foffy

Banned
Letters said:
I'm reading that enemies respawn when you reenter an area? Is that true? I hate games that do that. With how though enemies already seem to be and my love for exploring cleared areas at will, this could be a deal breaker. :/

They respawn when you die, or use the bonfire. The areas are big enough, so why would it be bad that enemies respawn?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Letters said:
I'm reading that enemies respawn when you reenter an area? Is that true? I hate games that do that. With how though common enemies already seem to be in this and my love for exploring cleared areas at will, this could be a deal breaker. :/
It's a way for the game to tell you to stop dying :)

Orayn

Letters said:
We know they respawn when you rest at a bonfire, but I'm not really sure about how well the game remembers each area.

MMaRsu

Banned
I honestly cannot wait for this game. I'll have to say that I havent finished DS yet though. I mean..I only have to kill the old monk, and finish lvl 5....

But that fucking swamp man :(. And the stairs to that old monk are dangerous too, damn red warden bitches with their ringing bells :(.

New TT is glorious btw.

I'm guessing there isn't going to be a region-free 360 version. Anyone have a clue? And to PS3 owners, is the JP copy going to have any English included or are you guys that brave?

Respawn

Banned
HitokiriNate85 said:
I'm guessing there isn't going to be a region-free 360 version. Anyone have a clue? And to PS3 owners, is the JP copy going to have any English included or are you guys that brave?
Hong Kong Asian copy for the last Demon Souls had all English so I guess this will be the same.
I think I can safely say there will be no region free 360 version.

Totalriot

Zeal said:

I will wait until October 7th and will read all your impressions with both excitement and jealousy.

Can't wait for you guys to find out about best character builds, weapon upgrades and farming spots.

Zeliard

Does this still function like a hub in that you're able to mix-and-match the levels you go through, or is it more of a linear progression?

darkwing

Letters said:
in Demon's Souls, you get used to it, part of the game's charm

ironcreed

Banned
Foffy said:
They respawn when you die, or use the bonfire. The areas are big enough, so why would it be bad that enemies respawn?

I actually like how they balanced refilling your health at a bonfire with making the enemies you have slain respawn when you do. Fits like a glove and keeps challenge intact in terms of exploration. It is as if they are saying, "Want your health back? Here, light this bonfire. Just make sure you do better next time you have to face the foes that took it from you... because they are back now."

stupei

I'm still playing through Demon's Souls for the first time but in doing so this has been bumped up to my must buy list. Probably day 1 just to guarantee I get collector's edition, too, even if I won't be ready to play it yet. (In many ways I'm grateful, I'm not suffering from the intense level desire that I know comes pre-release, at least not for this title.)

I'm thinking I might go thief so that I'll start out with the master key and feel like I could do something a little more interesting and random as my gift. I'm debating something like the pendant or ring of the aged witch, because why not go for strange and unexplained? Seems fitting.

Orayn

MechaX said:
Please tell me the Maiden in Black returns in Dark Souls. Her voice is just so hypnotic.
The actual character doesn't, as far as we know. Some art in a Japanese magazine showed someone who looked awfully similar, though...

Zeliard said:
Does this still function like a hub in that you're able to mix-and-match the levels you go through, or is it more of a linear progression?

No hub. All of the world is supposed to be connected together, but I doubt it will be linear. Probably several different ways to go, but of course many areas will be too challenging until you're ready for them.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Weird place to ask but anyone out there willing to help a trophy whore out? I've never had any intention of platting DS because I can't stand random drop farming trophies but I'd be willing to drop/pickup weapons if anyone out there is willing to! Clearly Dark Souls has me hyped up and finishing off the trophies in Demon's would be awesome. I believe my main character is 125+ (don't remember exact, probably around 150?) and I'm on Japan time but the next two days I could pull off any time. Ignore this post non-trophy addicts.
3AQmK.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom