• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT2| Praise the Sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

BeeDog said:
I'm pretty sure the enemies respawn there. I agitated a bunch of them and got them to kill off each other with their butt stomps. Lo and behold, there's a whole bunch of them still there after I've died.

Nope.

BeeDog

Rez said:
I'm just a bit bitter at the four kings at the moment. The only viable strategy for my STR/END/VIT guy is Iron Skin and prayer, and it just isn't fun. And then they make me walk all the way back through New Londo from Firelink again (the elevator near the beginning makes it nicer, but still). It's just tedious.

I guess I should call in some help or something. But summon signs are so hard to find down there.

The walk back from Firelink isn't that dangerous since you can jump down to the lower level of Londo quickly. Then you just sprint past some enemies and arrive at the fog door.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
BeeDog said:
I'm pretty sure the enemies respawn there. I agitated a bunch of them and got them to kill off each other with their butt stomps. Lo and behold, there's a whole bunch of them still there after I've died.

It's hard to tell at times because there's a veritable army of them, but they really don't respawn. I eventually depopulated the area and sang hallelujah.

Raw64life

Nothing but Lost Izalith left. Really wanted to complete Solaire's events but apparently you need to
join the Chaos Covenant and open the shortcut by offering 30 humanity
. I have about half that and had extremely bad luck the last time I tried to farm humanity in the sewer. Got about 7-8 humanity in an hour. I wanted to finish this game before I got Batman tomorrow but looks like that isn't happening.

\/ Just passed the 60 hour mark.

Varna said:
You need to explore and find more Embers.

Andrei is the only one I know of who can do +5 to +6 -- the others take +5 weapons and add specific abilities (chaos/fire, boss souls, magic/enchanted). Andrei does all the rest, as far as I know.

I'm over 70 hours, and I just recently got the lordvessel; however, I do spend a lot of time idle and I do a lot of farming.

Einbroch

Banned
Cloudius12 said:
For those that have beaten the game, What is your clock time?

I haven't beaten it yet, but I'm approaching the 45 hour mark.
52 hours. But I left the game on for at least 10 hours of that.

RyanDG

commish said:
How do I upgrade a weapon beyond +5? I killed Andre the blacksmith, and the other two blacksmiths I have access to won't let me upgrade beyond +5.

Oh jesus... Out of all the Blacksmiths you could have killed, that one is probably one of the worst. I hope you are a mage (or have a high INT) or enjoy fire weapons...

1stStrike

Banned
Einbroch said:
What. The. Hell!

I loaded up my game, suddenly got 6000 souls like 2 seconds later. Cool! Free souls. Except it was a treant enemy that somehow died. Now I'm not a part of the cat covenant anymore.

I'm laughing a bit, but what the fuck!

HAHA, that same thing happened to me, but I didn't even know they dropped a bow at the time. I just went "phew, thank god!" and moved on - and then said no to the cat and shot him with an arrow lol.

Cloudius12 said:

Just over 95 hours for me to finish the game at soul level 130. I spent a lot of time grinding out souls and making weapons, though.

Also, it took me 1.5 hours to clear all of the first area, ring the first bell and unlock the sewer - took me like 25 hours to do all that in the first play through lol.

Patapwn

Beats said:
Demon's Souls bosses were the same way though. I played through it using only melee, and I pretty much used the same strategy the whole game for all the bosses (besides Dragon God, and that flying thing in World 4). Which is exactly the one you laid out for Dark Souls' bosses. The atmosphere for the Garl Vinland fight was great, but the actual "fight" wasn't very challenging. You just bait him into attacking, roll away and hit him while he's cooling down. The Old Hero being blind didn't change my strategy much either. Because when he starts attacking, you either roll through or away from his attacks, or try and block. And then when he calms down you could hit him a couple of times rinse, repeat. In the end I fought him the same way I fought the other bosses. The Old Monk didn't require me to change up anything either. I mean it's cool that a player can be the boss, but the attacks he throws out aren't really anything that required you to do anything different.

I loved the bosses (besides Dragon God/Bed of Chaos) for both games, but the bosses in Demon's Souls aren't that much different from the bosses in Dark Souls when it comes to strategy/tricks.

I guess I could do an in-depth compare and contrast of the bosses and how I liked many of the ones in demons souls over Dark souls, but I don't think this calls for that. My main criticism is that the bosses in Demon's Souls had much more thought behind them/differentiation from other bosses, IMO. There was clear ideas present in each one. Garl Vinland trying to protect his lover/not really wanting to hurt you. The final boss is actually another person invading your world. The boss is using hearing, not sight. The enemy is a giant flying mantaray that requires you to take shelter behind some desolate ruins. I think you get the idea...

I just appreciated the ideas much more in demons souls as opposed to those of Dark souls. Hell, I wasn't really even having fun with the bosses half way through the game. It came down to me holding out for something more than a giant monster waving around a big stick around. Beating them was just a means to experience the actual fun parts of the game. Thank goodness for the moonlight butterfly and gwyndolin at least. They were different. Dark souls makes up for this in many categories but it's bosses did not live up to my expectations with originally and differentiation.

I will say that I loved the mini-bosses like Havel the Rock and the demonite ore things, but Demon's Souls had stuff like that too so it's not enough for me to give the nod to Dark Souls.

BeeDog

ixix said:
It's hard to tell at times because there's a veritable army of them, but they really don't respawn. I eventually depopulated the area and sang hallelujah.

Wow, didn't notice that then. I assumed the easier pass-through of this area was due to my Ring of Fog the third time around; guess it simply meant there were less of them there!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
RyanDG said:
Oh jesus... Out of all the Blacksmiths you could have killed, that one is probably one of the worst. I hope you are a mage (or have a high INT) or enjoy fire weapons...

Obviously not on purpose :p So I guess I can't level anything up besides what I already have. I guess I can take my halbred to +5 raw, pretty much only option. :\

branny

Rez said:
Man, judging by the impressions here, it's hard to even justify beating the Four Kings and continuing. Maybe I should just stop now when my memories of the game are still pure.
Noooo, keep playing. You could end up loving everything and live in bliss not understanding what other people are babbling about.

Cloudius12 said:

Like 1stStrike, my first playthrough was around 103 hours because I did everything I could.

Varna

commish said:
Yes, the large ember, but I thought I had to give it to Andre.

If you've given him the large ember you should be able to make normal upgrades to +10. Are you choosing modify equipment? You do that first then you can reinforce beyond the previous limit.

Grinchy

Banned
1stStrike said:
I almost bought Rage tonight. Then I watched a video of it, and read some reviews and was like... NOPE.

I'm just going to wait for the next slew of games.
I was pretty hyped for it. I'm really glad I waited because aside from the minority who is very positive, it seems like opinions range from average to bad. I'll probably pick it up if I can get it on sale very cheap.

Patapwn

Zeliard said:
What is the "maneater formula"?
Fight two bosses at the same time. Fatass and spearguy are different fighters, but you still fight them the same you you fight the gargoyles and maneaters.

Einbroch

Banned
Grinchy said:
I was pretty hyped for it. I'm really glad I waited because aside from the minority who is very positive, it seems like opinions range from average to bad. I'll probably pick it up if I can get it on sale very cheap.
Eh? It's a good game. I liked it a lot. But it was VERY easy and the ending was VERY bad.

I enjoyed Dark Souls more. But then again I just lost my cat covenant so FUCK THIS GAME.

RyanDG

commish said:
Obviously not on purpose :p So I guess I can't level anything up besides what I already have. I guess I can take my halbred to +5 raw, pretty much only option. :\

You'll be able to go down the fire path as well as the magic path/chaos paths eventually. What are your stats right now and what kind of build are you shooting for?

As for killing Blacksmiths - don't feel too bad... I ended up doing the same thing in my first playthrough of Demon's Souls and basically restarted after 21 hours because of the mistake. :p

commish

Varna said:
If you've given him the large ember you should be able to make normal upgrades to +10. Are you choosing modify equipment? You do that first then you can reinforce beyond the previous limit.

I killed the bloke. Was wondering if I could give it to another Blacksmith.

Dresden

Patapwn said:
Fight two bosses at the same time. Fatass and spearguy are different fighters, but you still fight them the same you you fight the gargoyles and maneaters.
I'm more angry that FROM recycled the 'single boss' formula over and over in Dark Souls.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Kyoufu said:
Farm another 10k and get the darkwood forest crest from the blacksmith.

What's the fastest (and safest) way to do that in the Undead Burg/Parish, Firelink or Asylum areas? I don't want to go somewhere dangerous or unfamiliar if I don't have to. I could kill 100 of the torch wielding grunts outside the Asylum, but that sounds like a pretty unappealing way to spend my time.

Looking back through the thread a bit, it sounds like Darkwood Forest is a great farming location, hence your recommendation that I get the crest, but will I be strong enough to take advantage of it at level 21?

edit: I should probably mention that I haven't even killed
the Gargoyles and rung the bell yet.
That's how (not) far I am in the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm getting a pretty good feel for Sen's, and I can tell there's a bonfire somewhere, can someone point me in the right direction from the
room with the ball
?

Aselith

Patapwn said:
I guess I could do an in-depth compare and contrast of the bosses and how I liked many of the ones in demons souls over Dark souls, but I don't think this calls for that. My main criticism is that the bosses in Demon's Souls had much more thought behind them/differentiation from other bosses, IMO. There was clear ideas present in each one. Garl Vinland trying to protect his lover/not really wanting to hurt you. The final boss is actually another person invading your world. The boss is using hearing, not sight. The enemy is a giant flying mantaray that requires you to take shelter behind some desolate ruins. I think you get the idea...

I just appreciated the ideas much more in demons souls as opposed to those of Dark souls. Hell, I wasn't really even having fun with the bosses half way through the game. It came down to me holding out for something more than a giant monster waving around a big stick around. Beating them was just a means to experience the actual fun parts of the game. Thank goodness for the moonlight butterfly and gwyndolin at least. They were different. Dark souls makes up for this in many categories but it's bosses did not live up to my expectations with originally and differentiation.

I will say that I loved the mini-bosses like Havel the Rock and the demonite ore things, but Demon's Souls had stuff like that too so it's not enough for me to give the nod to Dark Souls.

Yeah, I liked the bosses and also the overall monster design in Demon's Souls a whole lot more. However, I do think that the immersion of being in the integrated, organic world that they've made for Dark Souls beats the stage structure that Demon's Souls used and I also think the environments are quite a bit better this time around so I'll call it a tie.

Riposte

Dresden said:
I'm more angry that FROM recycled the 'single boss' formula over and over in Dark Souls.

lol.

Seriously though, I think the concept of 1 on 1 boss fights is more prone to cheese. I fucking love the unfair fights.

Almost all the Demon's Souls boss concepts reappear in Dark Souls in some fashion.

commish

RyanDG said:
You'll be able to go down the fire path as well as the magic path/chaos paths eventually. What are your stats right now and what kind of build are you shooting for?

Not much. Level 44, maybe 18 strength, 14 dex, rest end/vit. Stared a bandit, no desire to go magic at all (Magic is the only upgrade path I've seemed to unlock). I guess it's fire for me :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Cloudius12 said:

IIRC I beat it at the 46 hour mark, level 78 or so.

So I'm in the Forest Covenant and I've killed like five forest invaders and yet I still don't have any rewards from the covenant for doing so.

What gives?

Varna

commish said:
I killed the bloke. Was wondering if I could give it to another Blacksmith.

Why... would you do that? O_O

I don't know what you can... I believe you are locked out of divine weapons at the very least. No idea if another smith can craft normal weapons beyond 5.

RyanDG

commish said:
Not much. Level 44, maybe 18 strength, 14 dex, rest end/vit. Stared a bandit, no desire to go magic at all (Magic is the only upgrade path I've seemed to unlock). I guess it's fire for me :(

Here's what I would recommend to do... Fire is probably going to be the best weapon path you'll be able to take overall. If you haven't done it yet, I would also go ahead and try to learn magic weapon. With your current stats, go ahead and take your weapon of choice to Raw +5 and use pine resin/magic weapon on it until you are able to go down the Fire path full on. Some bosses are going to be strong vs fire so it'll be important to have that back up Raw +5 (which will probably be your best with your current stats in terms of normal weapons) with an alternative boost for lightning or magic depending on what you are up against.

Tough stuff to deal with there...

Zeliard

Patapwn said:

It's nothing like it. You fight both off the bat, unlike the Maneaters and gargoyles where you can basically kill one before the other comes in. And the Smough & Ornstein fight has a second phase to it that doesn't exist in the other two.

Aselith

commish said:

Jesus, how high are your End and Vit?

RyanDG

TenshiOni said:
So I'm in the Forest Covenant and I've killed like five forest invaders and yet I still don't have any rewards from the covenant for doing so.

What gives?

Are you talking to the cat afterwards?

njean777

My god I am a pyromancer and just found out INT is basically useless for me. Man what a bunch of wasted points. Please somebody tell me I was smart in putting points into INT. Cuz If not I am so screwed. I am currently soul grinding trying to raise my STR, END, and have no clue if I should pay attention to DEX. I have no clue what it would even do for my character.

CatPee

Hawkian said:
I'm getting a pretty good feel for Sen's, and I can tell there's a bonfire somewhere, can someone point me in the right direction from the
room with the ball
?

Go up the little stairs and keep heading up until you reach the roof of the fortress and there's a giant dropping balls down into a hole visible. Go left and go up, then look to the right. You should see a gap in the low wall that you can walk off of and it'll drop you right onto the bonfire.

Patapwn

Zeliard said:
It's nothing like it. You fight both off the bat, unlike the Maneaters and gargoyles where you can basically kill one before the other comes in. And the Smough & Ornstein fight has a second phase to it that doesn't exist in the other two.
Wow, they're totally different, ur right. Can't believe I didn't see it before

commish

RyanDG said:
Here's what I would recommend to do... Fire is probably going to be the best weapon path you'll be able to take overall. If you haven't done it yet, I would also go ahead and try to learn magic weapon. With your current stats, go ahead and take your weapon of choice to Raw +5 and use pine resin/magic weapon on it until you are able to go down the Fire path full on. Some bosses are going to be strong vs fire so it'll be important to have that back up Raw +5 (which will probably be your best with your current stats in terms of normal weapons) with an alternative boost for lightning or magic depending on what you are up against.

Tough stuff to deal with there...

Thx thx. If only I had known when I iced Andre, I would have restarted.

Riposte

If you can find a special weapon that drops from an enemy(like after cutting off its tail), I think you'll be able to upgrade it with twinkling shards(or maybe demon shards) from any blacksmith.

ironcreed

Banned
Still on a roll today. Took out Seath, waltzed through Firesage and Centipede Demons and then proceeded through Lost Izalith and took out Bed of Chaos. All that remains is Nito in The Tomb of Giants before I get to face off against Gwyn. On the Home Stretch.

On a side note, I would just like to mention that the level design has been brilliant up until I reached Lost Izalith. I mean, what a cluster fuck with all the trudging through lava and trying to find trees to run on, while being trounced by a lava field full of those T-Rex demon looking things. The next little section where the boss is feels pretty slap-dash as well. As for the boss itself, I felt it was very lack luster.

Disable the orange weak spots with a quick swipe, roll off on branch and through the smaller branches for a one hit kill.
I could not believe with how difficult most of the game is, this Lord Soul boss was so damn easy. In a way, I guess it was welcome relief from all the frustration, but I still think they really hit a creative low on that level. It is honestly just plain awful and I was glad to see it end. Anyway, on to the Tomb of the Giants tomorrow and maybe Gwyn.

kodt

Banned
1. Gravelord Servant Covenant seems broken. Put a few eyes down, my character displayed a black mist but there was no indication that anything was happening. Waited quite a while and never was awarded any souls nor was I invaded. Kind of lame when you don't know if it is working or not...

2. Tomb of Giants is BS, way too dark.

bathala

Banned
Gonna admit it.
I used the save glitch on Sen's Fortress

Dying and always respawning from Blacksmith's bonfire trying to go through those traps over n over

Dresden

njean777 said:
My god I am a pyromancer and just found out INT is basically useless for me. Man what a bunch of wasted points. Please somebody tell me I was smart in putting points into INT. Cuz If not I am so screwed. I am currently soul grinding trying to raise my STR, END, and have no clue if I should pay attention to DEX. I have no clue what it would even do for my character.
Hey if your int is high you can grab homing soul arrows. Look on the bright side, you can use all the cool shit from Sorcery like chameleon, homing missiles, and soul spears while punching people with your int-scaling pyromancer's flame R2 attack. Lol.

You should only raise dex if there's a weapon you want to use and/or your weapon of choice scales off Dex. Same deal for strength, really. Endurance is the important stat here.

Kalnos

Banned
kodt said:
1. Gravelord Servant Covenant seems broken. Put a few eyes down, my character displayed a black mist but there was no indication that anything was happening. Waited quite a while and never was awarded any souls nor was I invaded. Kind of lame when you don't know if it is working or not...

2. Tomb of Giants is BS, way too dark.

I don't think it's working, hopefully From fixes it with this patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom