• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT2| Praise the Sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsswimmer

I have no idea how to beat the gargoyles. I must have literally tried over 20 times now. It just seems cheap when both bosses can just spit fire at you over and over

vpance

evilromero said:
Man this game has me cornered. I feel like every direction I go the enemies are just too tough. What's with the ghost in New Lando? I am walking out onto the docks and he appears. How do you beat ghosts?

I have a feeling you haven't found all the directions yet... but I did the same in the beginning too, as did a lot of others I'm sure. Find the path of least resistance.

I remember going to New Lando first, and managing to get past the first 2 sets of ghosts. But after that, it was wtf I'm out of here.

Zeliard

Kyoufu said:
Yeah I got cursed a few times there. Then my brain cells kicked in and I realised I can just...roll away from the curse gas.

I love those statues of
cursed players
. Going through the Depths the first time was hilarious and terrifying. Felt like you couldn't turn a corner without bumping into one of those.

sotodefonk said:
Well Im using a lighting spear +5 and the shield does like 470 dmg to the skeletons, but its slow to use and it let me wide open... that vs 4 giant skeletons lol

Try pulling them. Probably not a good idea to fight 4 giant skeletons at the same time with any weapon. :p

Should I be putting my summon sign somewhere other than the final boss? I'm level 127 and this is taking foreverrrrrr. I managed to help two people here earlier but I'm just not getting summons anymore :(

tmaynard

So, if I get summoned to Anor Londo to help fight
Dark Sun Gwyndolin
will that affect my game as well or only the hosts?

When entering the fog for that boss I also had a separate cutscene from the host which has never happened before. I'm afraid I may break my covenant and/or piss off the fire keeper.

just remembered that i've never been to the last golem in sen's fortress. there is a lone golem you can see if you stand near the boss. how to go down there? i'm not talking about the guy hurling boulders, the other one.

Kalnos

Banned
tmaynard said:
So, if I get summoned to Anor Londo to help fight
Dark Sun Gwyndolin
will that affect my game as well or only the hosts?

When entering the fog for that boss I also had a separate cutscene from the host which has never happened before. I'm afraid I may break my covenant and/or piss off the fire keeper.

Only the host. Someone else could confirm it, though.

jk-mox said:
Hating New Londo Ruins so far. Fucking dementors and their long arms.

They just wanna love you, bay-bee. :)
Come on. Give 'em a hug. You know you want to.

Augemitbutter said:
just remembered that i've never been to the last golem in sen's fortress. there is a lone golem you can see if you stand near the boss. how to go down there? i'm not talking about the guy hurling boulders, the other one.

I don't think you can?

Edit: huh, maybe you can... but why would you want to?!

web01

Augemitbutter said:

You talking about the guy dropping rocks down the hole?

You can get a running jump off the bridge to get across there
back near where you jump to get across to the merchant from.

web01 said:
You talking about the guy dropping rocks down the hole?

You can get a running jump off the bridge to get across there
back near where you jump to get across to the merchant from.

not him, there is another one. 3 total.

MechaX

Mr_Appleby said:
i gather the armour you get depends on who you kill last then?
i'd prefer Ornstein's in that case. I've only had a couple of tries so far, killing either one of them first isn't that difficult. In the second stage so far I got a little way towards killing Smough in lightning mode and haven't scratched Ornstein yet, was being careful trying to learn all his moves and when I would have an opening, then I was too close and he one-shotted me with spear impale. As long as I can find the openings and avoid that it shouldn't be too hard. At least he only has one insta-kill move, unlike the Iron Knight. Using a zwei +10, charcoal pine resin seemed to add good damage against them. If I can get in a couple two-handed hits on him while it's buffed he should go down pretty quick.

Yeah, the armor you get from him is pretty good for awhile. Unfortunately, you can't upgrade it and some of the armor that you can upgrade will easily eclipse it. For me, I found the Paladin Armor to be pretty cool looking and you can upgrade that with Twinkling Titanite (and fully upgraded, the Havel Armor only barely beats it out with a fraction of the weight). It beats trying to upgrade shit like the Elite Knight Armor with Titanite Slabs.

Too bad getting the Paladin Armor is one of those easily missable situations.

Deadstar

So I killed the bosses in Anor Londo, made my way through the catacombs and am now blocked by yellow fog. Was I not supposed to go here? Where do I go next?

TP

Augemitbutter said:

Probably can't get that far. Wasn't he the one that opened the gate?

Zeliard

Augemitbutter said:

The one putting the boulders in the hole? I did see a player message down there.

Deadstar said:
So I killed the bosses in Anor Londo, made my way through the catacombs and am now blocked by yellow fog. Was I not supposed to go here? Where do I go next?

Gotta go back to Firelink first and chat with Frampt. If he's sleeping, give him a smack. If you just jump in the hole like I did, Frampt leaves forever. Fucking prick.

Varna

Tylahedras said:
So... is he still an asshole? :)

I don't care what anyone says. This series creates for more memorable characters with just a few simple lines then any other series in recent memory. Those big blockbuster games with 8 hours of cutscenes could never hope to compete as far as I'm concern.

EDIT: Any word on when the patch might hit? I kind have become to invested in magic and magical weapons on my first
(actually my third restart)
which I really didn't want to do since my first character in these kind of games is always my role-playing character. Getting that urge to re-roll again. :(

Augemitbutter said:

In that case, there's a false wall near the beginning of the fortress -- hop in the goo where the titanite demons were and climb out. Strike the wall in front of you when you finish climbing the ladder, climb up and you'll be right behind the other dude.

--

Are there several encounters with the onion knight? I met him outside Sen's, locked in a room in Anor Londo, at Firelink, and now the dude shows up in the middle of blighttown; gave him a purple moss and got some shield I've never seen. Sweet deal for me, since I have like 800 of those mosses from trips between blacksmith and farmville.

Zeliard said:
The one putting the boulders in the hole? I did see a player message down there.

Gotta go back to Firelink first and chat with Frampt. If he's sleeping, give him a smack. If you just jump in the hole like I did, Frampt leaves forever. Fucking prick.

Ooooor, go to new londo, wreck that place, and kill the 4 kings.
Frampt gets uber creepy about shit when you have the lordvessel -- I'm not sure what's up exactly, but I don't trust that grinning bitch.

Patapwn

Well, I beat the game/ 1/2 way into NG+ and I have this overwhelming sediment that I'm interested if others echo. Loved the game, no question there. It's in my top 3 so far this year. But the thing is, I don't quite think it lives up to Demon's Souls.

Yes, there is more content, omg so much content. There is far more enemy variety. The traps are far more sophisticated (sens fortress = favorite part of the game for me), the world is huge and filled with things to do, the covenant are a fantastic idea and add a great deal to the game series... etc, etc, etc. Indeed I understand all the positives about Dark Souls. However, I think it faltered massively in one category which I consider to be the most important part of this series, the bosses.

IMO, Dark Soul's bosses were all one trick ponies, and most of them had the same trick. The only bosses that took me more than 3 attempt to folly was maneater regurgitation #1, maneater regurgitation #2 and Gwyn (I'm not the best at parrying). I don't think this is so much a testament to my gaming 'skillz' as much as taking the same strategy of monster jumps at you/swings something big at you, roll under it/put shield up, hit them a couple times rinse, repeat. I'm not criticizing this type of play, its fantastic fun. It's just that all the bosses seem to mesh into the same fold of design with different skins.

Demon's Souls had bosses like this, but Demon's souls also had bosses that far eclipsed this design. My fav boss of DeS was Maiden Astraea. You don't even fight her. You fight her loyal knight/lover sir Garl Vinland. He doesn't even want to hurt you, he just wants you to leave. if you retreat he does not follow. Another boss that I LOVED was the Old hero. He can't see you. You know he can't see you. You can be standing dead set in front of him in plain view and he won't react. Because he can't. BECAUSE HE'S BLIND!!! But he can hear you, and that changes up how the entire boss is played. Just for added measure, at the end of world 3 exists perhaps one of the most interesting, surprising, unexpected AND awesome multiplayer design choices I've ever seen. If you're playing online, and someone invades you in world 3, they become the boss. Yes, you fight an invader as the head demon for the entire world. That was an interesting fight... an amazing fight! And one whose ambition of design choice seems all but barren in Dark Souls.

Anyways, fantastic game. Simply voicing a criticism or er... a 'comparison' I made with Demon's Souls. I just wonder if others have been feeling the same way... But I think there is ONE criticism we can all agree upon, dat frame rate when entering blight town FUCKING JEBUS!!

corrosivefrost said:
Are there several encounters with the onion knight? I met him outside Sen's, locked in a room in Anor Londo, at Firelink, and now the dude shows up in the middle of blighttown; gave him a purple moss and got some shield I've never seen. Sweet deal for me, since I have like 800 of those mosses from trips between blacksmith and farmville.

Where did you meet him in Anor Londo? I feel like I've missed a section of that place because I heard talk of a third bonfire, and I only have two, one near the start and one near the boss.

equil

Charmicarmicat said:
Where did you meet him in Anor Londo? I feel like I've missed a section of that place because I heard talk of a third bonfire, and I only have two, one near the start and one near the boss.

I think the middle staircase that turns, goes down lower and thats where it is.

Charmicarmicat said:

When you get to the roof after you hop in the window, there are two staircases you can go down -- if you go down the one to your (left, I think) side, you will end up in a room with him and he's being stood guard over by 3-4 silver knights; he makes a crack about needing more dudes, you go kill all the knights and come back, he thanks you and leaves and shows up in Firelink.

And yes, the poster above me is right, the third bonfire is at the bottom of the twisty bridge piece (in front of darkmoon shrine/gwyndolin).

Zeliard said:
I'm talking about putting the lordvessel on the altar so the Great Lawd removes those golden barriers.

Yeah, so am I -- He was so pushy about it, it made me not trust him. And since I've been doing my homework on the covenants and the last in my sights is Darkwraith, I definitely didn't do it because I wanted to see what the Kaethe (?) has to say.

4 kings are first on my hitlist, I can wait on the yellow sealed areas (duke's archives, lost izalith -- is tomb of giants sealed by that?)

Shinobes

Neo Member
So I just entered
The painted world
at soul level 45. I feel very under powered. Am I fucked? Whats the best way for me to get out of here? I don't have any arrows to
kill the undead dragon
. Can I just melee it to death? Any way to run past it?

Zeliard

corrosivefrost said:
Yeah, so am I -- He was so pushy about it, it made me not trust him. And since I've been doing my homework on the covenants and the last in my sights is Darkwraith, I definitely didn't do it because I wanted to see what the Kaethe (?) has to say.

4 kings are first on my hitlist, I can wait on the yellow sealed areas (duke's archives, lost izalith -- is tomb of giants sealed by that?)

Yeah I'm curious if it made me side with
the other serpent I've heard about
. Oh well. Glad that leering fool is gone. :p

I'm doing Duke's Archives now. I kinda love that place.

Doomrider

Charmicarmicat said:

After the part with the two Black Knight snipers, you enter some building, right? If I'm not mistaken, the third bonfire is on the first door on the left and you can find the Catarina dude in the same building (you'll have to go to the roof and from there, use another set of stairs to get to the room he's in).

I hope I'm remembering this correctly. Please insult me if it is not the case.

Edit: Beaten.

Shinobes said:
So I just entered
The painted world
at soul level 45. I feel very under powered. Am I fucked? Whats the best way for me to get out of here? I don't have any arrows to
kill the undead dragon
. Can I just melee it to death? Any way to run past it?

You can let him be and ignore him. You get dragon scales for killing him and a shortcut out of the world.

What you want to focus on is getting the doors to the courtyard open and then go down the well so you can open the pathway to the exit and optional boss.

butts

I am absolutely terrible at this game but somehow I beat the boss right before the first bell the first time and didnt need any healing.

As a warrior - is it better to focus on endurance or vitality first?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
corrosivefrost said:

Yeah, he shows up one more time IIRC.
His daughter is also in the game, dunno if you found her yet. You need to talk to both of them a lot to get their best ending but I mucked that up.

hteng

Banned
Augemitbutter said:

to reach him, you have to jump down to the sticky mud area with the titanite demons, at one of the corners you will find a ladder that leads up you up, when you climb up, hit the wall infront of you, it's a hidden path. go outside and you should find the golem dude that opened the sen's fortress gate for you.

Papercuts said:
Yeah, he shows up one more time IIRC.
His daughter is also in the game, dunno if you found her yet. You need to talk to both of them a lot to get their best ending but I mucked that up.

wouldn't call that a best ending, more like best reward.

maomaoIYP

Patapwn said:
Well, I beat the game/ 1/2 way into NG+ and I have this overwhelming sediment that I'm interested if others echo. Loved the game, no question there. It's in my top 3 so far this year. But the thing is, I don't quite think it lives up to Demon's Souls.

Yes, there is more content, omg so much content. There is far more enemy variety. The traps are far more sophisticated (sens fortress = favorite part of the game for me), the world is huge and filled with things to do, the covenant are a fantastic idea and add a great deal to the game series... etc, etc, etc. Indeed I understand all the positives about Dark Souls. However, I think it faltered massively in one category which I consider to be the most important part of this series, the bosses.

IMO, Dark Soul's bosses were all one trick ponies, and most of them had the same trick. The only bosses that took me more than 3 attempt to folly was maneater regurgitation #1, maneater regurgitation #2 and Gwyn (I'm not the best at parrying). I don't think this is so much a testament to my gaming 'skillz' as much as taking the same strategy of monster jumps at you/swings something big at you, roll under it/put shield up, hit them a couple times rinse, repeat. I'm not criticizing this type of play, its fantastic fun. It's just that all the bosses seem to mesh into the same fold of design with different skins.

Demon's Souls had bosses like this, but Demon's souls also had bosses that far eclipsed this design. My fav boss of DeS was Maiden Astraea. You don't even fight her. You fight her loyal knight/lover sir Garl Vinland. He doesn't even want to hurt you, he just wants you to leave. if you retreat he does not follow. Another boss that I LOVED was the Old hero. He can't see you. You know he can't see you. You can be standing dead set in front of him in plain view and he won't react. Because he can't. BECAUSE HE'S BLIND!!! But he can hear you, and that changes up how the entire boss is played. Just for added measure, at the end of world 3 exists perhaps one of the most interesting, surprising, unexpected AND awesome multiplayer design choices I've ever seen. If you're playing online, and someone invades you in world 3, they become the boss. Yes, you fight an invader as the head demon for the entire world. That was an interesting fight... an amazing fight! And one whose ambition of design choice seems all but barren in Dark Souls.

Anyways, fantastic game. Simply voicing a criticism or er... a 'comparison' I made with Demon's Souls. I just wonder if others have been feeling the same way... But I think there is ONE criticism we can all agree upon, dat frame rate when entering blight town FUCKING JEBUS!!

I agree to a certain extent. And maybe it's because I played ~ 300 hrs of Demon Souls, but I found Dark Souls a lot easier by comparison. Valley of Defilement was way way harder than Blightown.

However I love the way Dark Souls streamlined the gameplay and how the entire map is just there for you explore. It's essentially a Metroidvania game, in 3D.

branny

Salih said:
this game is nerve recking. i never had so much heart throbbing during boss fights. I am constantly shitting in my pants.
i love this game but because of that stuff i also hate it.
It's proper survival-horror, but with good combat. Or proper next gen Castlevania. Either way is fine by me.

Papercuts said:
(thoughts)
I agree with a lot of what you said, but I'm curious as to why you say you liked this game more than Demon's Souls with those complaints. Do you remember enough of Demon's Souls to elaborate on this? Is it mainly because of changes like the open world and bonfires and flasks and stuff?

I remember some really annoying things about Demon's Souls (I had a love/hate relationship with world tendency, for example), but I don't remember having issues with areas in that game. From my somewhat negative posts it'd be easy to assume that I dislike the game but that couldn't be farther from the truth. :(

Mr_Appleby said:
Dark Souls |OT3| YOU
are
DEFEATED
"Try grab-titty squeeze"

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
ced said:
I want to throw my controller at the designer's face who put those two silver/black knight archers in Anor Londo, what a bunch of BS that was. I somehow managed to have one fall off while I was cowering behind my shield with no STA or HP left.

I just summoned two phantoms and took over the place... we even ran over the boss like they were nothing... coolest thing ever!

Zzoram

Ugh wtf Tomb of Giants is insane. I keep getting knocked off cliffs :(

Going to farm souls to upgrade my shield more I guess, don't know what else to do. I'm SL80 but with 44 INT and 23 ATT, my melee is trash and it's quite difficult to cast spells for narrow ledge close quarters combat.

Zzoram

Killed Pinwheel in 2 shots but can't handle Tomb of the Giants, no room for me to cast my spells.

Kindling 100% carries into NG+ right? I might just kindle all my bonfires to 15 Estus now that I can, to use up my humanity in preparation for NG+.

corrosivefrost said:
In that case, there's a false wall near the beginning of the fortress -- hop in the goo where the titanite demons were and climb out. Strike the wall in front of you when you finish climbing the ladder, climb up and you'll be right behind the other dude.

--

oooh, i didn't know about the hidden wall. will try that trick later.

--

yes, i've met him one more time after that. now he won't show up anymore and i don't know why. here is a link if you want to get spoiled. http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Siegmeier+of+Catarina

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
quick game check.... I'm currently at Sen's Fortress. Roughly what percentage am I through the game? Am I past the halfway mark yet?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
branny said:
I agree with a lot of what you said, but I'm curious as to why you say you liked this game more than Demon's Souls with those complaints. Do you remember enough of Demon's Souls to elaborate on this? Is it mainly because of changes like the open world and bonfires and flasks and stuff?

I remember some really annoying things about Demon's Souls (I had a love/hate relationship with world tendency, for example), but I don't remember having issues with areas in that game. From my somewhat negative posts it'd be easy to assume that I dislike the game but that couldn't be farther from the truth. :(

For reference I got Demon's Souls last Christmas, so it's been less than a year. I bought into the "it's so hard" hype and started as a royal to lessen the pain. Royal is s.t.u.p.i.d. and broke the game for me, magic was beyond easy mode. I was beating basically every boss on my first try. Didn't really help that at this point the wiki was loaded with 20 exploits to beat every boss without getting hit, so the pure experience of playing this at launch actually impacts it a lot. I also agree that the tendency stuff was really stupid.

I basically didn't realize Demon's/Dark Souls were games that rewarded patience, so I shouldn't have started with a magic character when that isn't what I would have normally picked. I was a pyro for Dark and planned on being a battlemage, but it was more like 95% melee 5% pyro magic, I didn't die once until I got to the bell gargoyles despite basically being new to the melee combat, because I'm naturally fine with taking it slow, recognizing patterns, and not playing sloppy/dumb. The difficulty stuff is certainly true in comparison to most games out today, but it was overhyped in context of the actual game to me.

Up to Anor Londo, the way the game was just linking all of these areas and throwing amazing areas at me I was riding on the fumes of thinking it was one of the best game I've ever played. Demon's NEVER did anything like that for me, so even if there's a lot more "bad" stuff in Dark Souls near the end it's not enough to make me forget about how much good is here. It's hard for me to go back and play Demon's again after all the stuff they changed for better here, and it's really hard to not exploit all of the broken stuff in that game as well.

Zzoram

Painraze said:
quick game check.... I'm currently at Sen's Fortress. Roughly what percentage am I through the game? Am I past the halfway mark yet?

Depends on what you did before going to Sen's I think. It's probably around the half way mark if you've done Drakeroot Garden and Basin.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
Depends on what you did before going to Sen's I think. It's probably around the half way mark if you've done Drakeroot Garden and Basin.

You mean kill the hydra? That's all I've done there.

mujun

Patapwn said:

I agree completely. This game is great, no doubt about it. I don't think it's as good as the first though. For a bunch of reasons (not to say that there ways that this game is superior to the first).

Recently I've been disappointed by the bosses, first games bosses felt more epic, fun to fight and well designed. Also, the level design.
Demon Ruins with cut and paste bosses/mini bosses looks so lame at points.

Kyoufu

Painraze said:

We have no idea what you have done already.

New Londo Ruins, Catacombs, Darkwood Forest/Basin...

mujun

Zzoram said:
Ugh wtf Tomb of Giants is insane. I keep getting knocked off cliffs :(

Going to farm souls to upgrade my shield more I guess, don't know what else to do. I'm SL80 but with 44 INT and 23 ATT, my melee is trash and it's quite difficult to cast spells for narrow ledge close quarters combat.

You've got light, right?

I found that the key was to hit the enemies once with the most powerful spell you've got (they don't react till you are right on top of them and then backpedal and hit them with a second. Most of them don't even get a chance to hit me. From the 2nd bonfire to the boss you can also run past the first 5 or so (until you get on the ledge where you don't need light anymore) and only have to deal with the pain in the asses there and the watery chamber after that.

Dresden

The later dungeons feel more barren, they're smaller, and they're all centered around a single gimmick which feel more annoying than challenging. (Lag, pervasive darkness, invisible pathways, lag)

It's still my GOTY but as I get near the end I can't help but feel that Dark Souls just ran out of juice after Anor Londo - as if its conclusion was the climax and we're just plodding through the sea of old semen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom