• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's something about this game I don't get.

If the only way to beat the Duke's Archives is to die, then why can you "Leave through the white fog"? It's the only boss door you can actually leave..

Dresden

There's something about this game I don't get.

If the only way to beat the Duke's Archives is to die, then why can you "Leave through the white fog"? It's the only boss door you can actually leave..

Lol, you can leave that first fight? Maybe they wanted to let people equip a ring of sacrifice after they figure it out.

malfcn

Having more fun now. And was starting to kick ass. Then that damn poison happened again. And then I fell a bit, that did way more damage than usual. Lost another 6k and 2 humanity.

Oh the humanity. I had every intention of spending everything at the next bonfire. Back to work.

Would you guys recommend the Dark Souls Guide.

http://www.amazon.com/Souls-Official-Guide-Future-Press/dp/3869930527/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323320468&sr=1-1

Reading one of the Amazon reviews says that From Software patched the game and changed everything, from enemy placements to stats.

The official guide is indeed "nerfed", but there are information in the guide that is still very helpful. The guide was basically selling at $12 after the time it was released. Of course it depends if you want reading material while you are playing or use the internet often, I believe the guide is still useful if you want to have the book in front of you.

sixghost

http://www.amazon.com/Souls-Official-Guide-Future-Press/dp/3869930527/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323320468&sr=1-1

Reading one of the Amazon reviews says that From Software patched the game and changed everything, from enemy placements to stats.

I still find it very useful. Not everything has been changed. quite a few weapon had some scaling changed, some armor too, and some spells were changed a bit. Everything else still very useful. Great maps, enemy information, drop rates, item locations, spell info, etc. Maybe not for $25 or whatever, I got it when it was $13 and don't regret it one bit.

Aselith

There were some stat changes but the information is for the most part still good and I can't think of any enemy that changed position. Anyone know what changed as far as that goes?

UFRA

Just had some great co-op in Anor Londo.

Helped some people beat the boss a few times, and numerous invaders. So much fun.

One host even gave me humanity several times throughout our adventure as I helped him go through the whole stage. Awesome!

Ended up earning enough souls to level up to 100 and finally feel comfortable with my stats. I'm mostly a tank knight build, but I have enough INT and FAI to cast most decent spells as well, so I'm pretty versatile. I love it!

I've yet to beat the game on my first playthrough and I'm at 85 hours lol. I can't get enough of helping people out at this point.

Wool

There were some stat changes but the information is for the most part still good and I can't think of any enemy that changed position. Anyone know what changed as far as that goes?

There are less dragon legs in Lost Izalith. That's the only thing I can think of.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

I know that some of the
Capra Demons in the Demon's Ruins
changed positions. The first one you encounter when heading down from
Quelaag's Domain
was moved forward so that he's now standing on the cooled lava instead of inside the walkway, and the one that used to be on the lower level with the bonfire near the stairs leading down was moved up a floor to chill with the rest of them. There's also one down near the door leading to
Firesage
that wasn't there before. I think there might also be one fewer
Taurus Demon
on the pathway leading to the chest with the ember.

They also changed
dragon posteriors in the front entrance of Lost Izalith
so that their detection radius is drastically smaller. You can practically just waltz right in the front door without aggroing more than one or two, which is frankly more than welcome.

Those are the main ones I've noticed, it seems like that section of the game saw the lion's share of the changes, which seems reasonable since it was the area by far the most in need of an overhaul. The only other change I saw was that they slightly adjusted the location that Shiva's bodyguard spawns in so he doesn't just up and slip off the cliff randomly.

Karkador

Banned
So I started this game a few days ago and want to comment on a few things:

1) I love the seamless, interconnected world and think it works GREAT for this series. The sense of exploration and impending peril is way better than in Demon's, especially when you start going further and further down into the scary parts. It's also designed much better than the usual open world. The fact that it all just KEEPS GOING and you don't know how far it will go or where the next rest will be is pretty mind-blowing. I think it's a real stand-out feature of any game released this year.

2) Is this game is supposed to be harder than Demon's Souls? I've found it easier in some respects, or otherwise about the same. Sure, it feels like the normal monsters fight harder, but I've generally found the bosses (so far) to be easier, and the apparent lack of item encumbrance really makes loot a lot easier to manage. Also, equip damage seems to happen MUCH slower.

shiroryu

The only other change I saw was that they slightly adjusted the location that Shiva's bodyguard spawns in so he doesn't just up and slip off the cliff randomly.

So Forest Covenant is no longer bugged because of his instadeath? I'd nearly cleared out the Garden and Basin and wanted to join the Forest covenant, but the horror stories about being kicked out because of his death prevented me.

2real4tv

Upper Parish with some skeet shooter.

Go to the bonfire above the Blacksmith go human and look for help right before you go into the church, your not too far from the boss fight up the stairs. Or try to put your soapstone down and try to get summoned yourself.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So Forest Covenant is no longer bugged because of his instadeath? I'd nearly cleared out the Garden and Basin and wanted to join the Forest covenant, but the horror stories about being kicked out because of his death prevented me.

Pretty much, yeah. I think the problem was that he was placed right next to a fatal drop, and the game seems to sometimes "miss" a bit when placing NPCs. I know I've seen Shiva in Blighttown set a ways ahead of where he was supposed to be, happily leaning against thin air, or one time Vamos was set too far forward so his seat was empty and he was sort of crouching on top of his anvil hammering nothing in particular. When it happens it's usually pretty harmless but amusing, but with how the ninja was basically standing directly on the edge of the cliff if his placement was off by even the slightest amount when he spawned he'd fall right off and it'd boot you out of the covenant.

Now he stands a ways forward, significantly closer to Shiva and much further from the cliff edge. Much bigger margin for error.

shiroryu

Pretty much, yeah. I think the problem was that he was placed right next to a fatal drop, and the game seems to sometimes "miss" a bit when placing NPCs. I know I've seen Shiva in Blighttown set a ways ahead of where he was supposed to be, happily leaning against thin air, or one time Vamos was set too far forward so his seat was empty and he was sort of crouching on top of his anvil hammering nothing in particular. When it happens it's usually pretty harmless but amusing, but with how the ninja was basically standing directly on the edge of the cliff if his placement was off by even the slightest amount when he spawned he'd fall right off and it'd boot you out of the covenant.

Now he stands a ways forward, significantly closer to Shiva and much further from the cliff edge. Much bigger margin for error.

Cool...I loved the Forest areas. How's the PvP, for anybody in the covenant right now? I imagine it's a roller coaster as you could be invading anybody from SL10 to SL700, and there are probably invaders who come in just to farm forest hunters, same as Anor Londo.

Saya

Is it true that more than 10 humanity won't boost your item discovery rate anymore (combined with the item discovery ring from sen's fortress)?

Is it true that more than 10 humanity won't boost your item discovery rate anymore (combined with the item discovery ring from sen's fortress)?

Yes

Although I didn't pay attention to what was the cut off point but my guy had 410 item discovery rate when I wore the serpent ring + 13 humanity and the number didn't change when a had 17 humanity.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Cool...I loved the Forest areas. How's the PvP, for anybody in the covenant right now? I imagine it's a roller coaster as you could be invading anybody from SL10 to SL700, and there are probably invaders who come in just to farm forest hunters, same as Anor Londo.
I've been messing about with the Forest crew with my new character, and your guess certainly seems accurate. Is it really true that anyone from SL10~700 could join the forest fray? What makes this possible, and where else could it happen in the game?

I tried to rank up a bit, as people were saying you can buy cool items from Shiva, etc. but I keep getting rocked by two "invaders" at once (well, technically I'm invading their world, but they're invading the precious forest or whatever).

Perhaps the bolded is true in this case, but I'm only SL30~ right now. Reckon I need to buff my new chumly knight before I try this full-on PvP business.

It's pretty fun take out a high level dude with a rag tag group of low level forest bros.

It's when they have back up that it becomes nigh on impossible (unless you're low level with awesome gear)

Ourobolus

Banned
I was playing again the other day and decided to run everywhere I could before really tackling any bosses (other than Taurus), and I was surprised to find out that there is a fog gate next to the Undead Female Merchant that you can't get past (coming from the side of the Capra Demon, since you can't open the sewer gate from the other side).

What triggers getting rid of that, ringing the Parish bell?

one85x

I was playing again the other day and decided to run everywhere I could before really tackling any bosses (other than Taurus), and I was surprised to find out that there is a fog gate next to the Undead Female Merchant that you can't get past (coming from the side of the Capra Demon, since you can't open the sewer gate from the other side).

I've gone there before ringing the first bell and have never seen a fog gate. Were you in human form? Maybe you just had a failed invasion.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice

You were either in co-op or being invaded/failed invasion.

Hey guys just to be sure, Intelligence unlike Magic from Demon's Souls doesn't scale well beyond 40 since it hits the point of diminishing returns just as well as STR and DEX right ?

edbrat

so the guy who was in the forest and who I bought a washing pole off in Blight Town, he's disappeared from Blight Town now, anyone know why? And does this mean I have screwed up my chance to get the dark wood grain ring?

Got past the lava based mofo whose tail gave me the
orange ring of some kind
, think I will try to push to the end tonight. Think it is only Izalith and whatever is after that left now, last third has not compared to how godly this game was to the end of Anor Londo, will never forget that journey.

ashk

Just platinumed the game yesterday after 90 hours with a lvl. 125 full melee tank character. Feelsgoodman.jpg

I'm still hungry for more though, so I'm thinking I'll go back to Demon's Souls which I only managed to complete once. It didn't capture me the same way Dark Souls did at the time, but I need my fix I can't stop now

scosher

Hey guys just to be sure, Intelligence unlike Magic from Demon's Souls doesn't scale well beyond 40 since it hits the point of diminishing returns just as well as STR and DEX right ?
For enchanted weapons, yes. But for catalyst spellpower, logan's scales to 45 and tin crystallization catalyst scales all the way to 50.

Just platinumed the game yesterday after 90 hours with a lvl. 125 full melee tank character. Feelsgoodman.jpg

I'm still hungry for more though, so I'm thinking I'll go back to Demon's Souls which I only managed to complete once. It didn't capture me the same way Dark Souls did at the time, but I need my fix I can't stop now

Wow, platinum in 90 hours is pretty good. I'm only at 500/1000 myself after 100 lol. I feel the same way about Demon's Souls and I still want to play through it again, this time maybe using magic for a change. Will be hard getting used to the lack of flasks though...

one85x

so the guy who was in the forest and who I bought a washing pole off in Blight Town, he's disappeared from Blight Town now, anyone know why? And does this mean I have screwed up my chance to get the dark wood grain ring?
Are you still in the Forest Covenant?

For enchanted weapons, yes. But for catalyst spellpower, logan's scales to 45 and tin crystallization catalyst scales all the way to 50.

Great, I'm already at 40, so I'm gonna keep it like that for a while until I find either of those.

Finished the Depths, gonna go back to the asylum to pick up the rusty ring so I can go to blighttown.

No. You need to at least get through to the Undead Parish to beat the Gargoyles. If you have the Master Key, the bosses are optional, though.

you don't even need the master key if you don't mind killing the old man to open the seal...but yeah, it's either master key or killing the sealer if you want to skip the taurus demon.

you don't even need the master key if you don't mind killing the old man to open the seal...but yeah, it's either master key or killing the sealer if you want to skip the taurus demon.

So you want to go through New Lando ghosts without the ability to attack them, kill the old guy, drain the city, go through the Valley of Drakes, to Darkroot Basin to Ander and then to the Gargoyles... All that just to skip the Taurus demon and make the Burg "optional" ?

lol, might actually be fun in a twisted kinda of way but I wouldn't call the Burg optinal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom