• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

Terrified about facing 4K later with my sorcerer. Haven't had much trouble with any of the other bosses so far, but the only way i know how to beat 4K is to tank them. I supose I can go back and get havel's armor. I do have a lightning claymore (I think +2), so I can do pretty decent melee damage, but I don't have tons of VIT or END. Any tips? I don't have the crystal spells yet.

tokkun

Terrified about facing 4K later with my sorcerer. Haven't had much trouble with any of the other bosses so far, but the only way i know how to beat 4K is to tank them. I supose I can go back and get havel's armor. I do have a lightning claymore (I think +2), so I can do pretty decent melee damage, but I don't have tons of VIT or END. Any tips? I don't have the crystal spells yet.

Sorcerer is probably the easiest class to tank that battle with. Just keep casting homing soul mass while wearing Havel's set.

tokkun

Had a great co-op PvP session in the Forest yesterday. I wish there were an easier way to set up 2v2 matches, because they are pretty fun. Killed about 20 forestbros and darkwraiths before the host got killed by a WoG spammer. No fight involved, just the guy running up close and casting it 4 times in a row. I wonder if that damn spell will ever get patched.

Ill Saint

Killed about 20 forestbros and darkwraiths before the host got killed by a WoG spammer. No fight involved, just the guy running up close and casting it 4 times in a row. I wonder if that damn spell will ever get patched.

Pretty annoying isn't it? I always get hammered by WoG casters. I can't ever get the timing down to roll into them properly, and end up lockstunned as the spam away.

2AdEPT

isn't the undead burg an optional area?

yes it is optional...the parish is separate and counts as a separate location and you can enter it via the backdoor from darkroot/valley of drakes and totally skip the burg ifg you wish although most will go in just a for a littel bit to get certain items. I am continuing a rather lengthy explaination in just a few minutes!! ;)

2AdEPT

So you want to go through New Lando ghosts without the ability to attack them, kill the old guy, drain the city, go through the Valley of Drakes, to Darkroot Basin to Ander and then to the Gargoyles... All that just to skip the Taurus demon and make the Burg "optional" ?

lol, might actually be fun in a twisted kinda of way but I wouldn't call the Burg optinal

Taurus is completely optional. Absolutely no need to see him at any time. As is the rest of the burg......don't confuse the burg with the parish. they are different things.

krakov

how does this whole grave lord thing work? I had all these red phantoms show up in undead burg but I can't find the sign of the guy that dropped it(how do I find it?) and when I originally invaded someone prior(grave lord) they were invaded after I invade his game

am I going crazy or.....can you invade a game of someone and they can be invaded as well?

I've been doing a bunch of gravelording lately as it's really fast to get going and quite easy to maintain with the patch. As you are human when you are using an eye of death you can be invaded by any usual means. You can also be invaded by people using your gravelord sign and up to three of them can invade you at the same time. It can get quite interesting as blue and red invaders can kill eachother.

The red phantoms showing up in infected worlds still seem really rare though unfortunately.

Also noticed the other night that you can use the gate in undead parish to completely lock out an invader forcing them to use the separation crystal. The hellkite dragon can be used to harm invaders as well. Spent about 30 minutes hiding from a twinked darkwraith troll and finally locked him out completely.

2AdEPT

Yeah, that's one of the worst 'optional' routes you could choose early on, lol. Certainly the worst one without the Master Key. Fun though, to 'break' the game in a manner of speaking.

I went Parish-Darkroot Basin-Valley of Drakes-Blighttown just to open up the shortcut between the Shrine and Blighttown, making the Lower Undead Burg, the Depths, and a major portion of Blighttown optional. Am going through them now anyway because of the items and the experience.

THere is no such thing as "breaking the game" by exercising the ability to search at your own desire and whim....which is what the developers intended as an improvement on Demon's souls which at minimum forced you to go through each world linearly.

THere is no such thing as "breaking the game" by exercising the ability to search at your own desire and whim....which is what the developers intended as an improvement on Demon's souls which at minimum forced you to go through each world linearly.

I think you misunderstand what he's saying. What was meant is that even though the taurus demon is technically optional, the method of doing so (especially if you don't have the Key) is so much harder, longer, and inconvenient than just killing the stupid thing that there's no real point to doing it except for bragging rights.

Sullichin

Taurus is completely optional. Absolutely no need to see him at any time. As is the rest of the burg......don't confuse the burg with the parish. they are different things.

How is Taurus optional? Not really interested in skipping him because he's shit easy, but this is interesting.

Booshka

I just did an impromptu NG++++ Speed Run and skipped a ton of the game, Undead Burg, most of Parish, all of the Depths, most of Blighttown, and most of Demon Ruins. I found out that the
Chaos Covenant shortcut
stays active through NG+'s so you can get through the game much quicker. I was able to beat it in like 100 mins, it would have been quicker if I didn't die to
Bed of Chaos
three times, fuck that boss.

It's awesome how you can skip and shortcut a bunch of the game with the master key and some knowledge of the game world.

How is Taurus optional? Not really interested in skipping him because he's shit easy, but this is interesting.

With the Master Key, you have to go through the Valley of Drakes, and up Darkroot into the Parish, and then go to Blighttown through the Drakes again. All at level 1-20. If you are feeling really brave, you could also go after Quelaag or Sif before the Gargoyles. Grab enough consumable soul items, and Sif can literally be the very first enemy you kill in the game outside the tutorial. Wild, huh?

Needless to say, unless you are very good at the game, this takes longer than just doing the Burg and will get your face torn off by enemies punching a good deal above your weightclass.

Had a great co-op PvP session in the Forest yesterday. I wish there were an easier way to set up 2v2 matches, because they are pretty fun. Killed about 20 forestbros and darkwraiths before the host got killed by a WoG spammer. No fight involved, just the guy running up close and casting it 4 times in a row. I wonder if that damn spell will ever get patched.

If Intelligence casters are allowed to have 20 Homing Crystal Soul Mass spells (NG+), FAITH users are allowed to have 6 WoGs! One hit from a strong crystal soul mass, and it can take you out.

WoG is the best PvP spell in the game for Faith users. I usually reserve it for end of fight situations, once I get them weak though other means. If they start using Estus, its wrath time.

My current invasion loadout is WoG x2, Great Heal (or Replenishment depending on Chaos Blade usage), and Vow of Silence. Chaos Blade +5, +10 Humanity. Ring of the firstborn, Darkmoon Crown, Bloodshield +15.

I love Vow of Silence.. people don't expect it.

Pretty annoying isn't it? I always get hammered by WoG casters. I can't ever get the timing down to roll into them properly, and end up lockstunned as the spam away.

WoG does magic damage, which can be blocked by a strong magic shield, Crest shield, or any of the high magic greatshields.

Go try to use WoG on the Giants in Anor Londo and they will block it completely unless you hit them from the side or the back.

Sullichin

With the Master Key, you have to go through the Valley of Drakes, and up Darkroot into the Parish, and then go to Blighttown through the Drakes again. All at level 1-20. If you are feeling really brave, you could also go after Quelaag or Sif before the Gargoyles. Grab enough consumable soul items, and Sif can literally be the very first enemy you kill in the game outside the tutorial. Wild, huh?

Needless to say, unless you are very good at the game, this takes longer than just doing the Burg and will get your face torn off by enemies punching a good deal above your weightclass.

Going from Darkroot into the Parish.. it's that one tower with havel in it, right? Wouldn't you still have to go over the Taurus bridge to get to the gargoyles? Clearly, you wouldn't, but I'm still confused.

EDIT: Or, the entrance that actually leads to the parish/blacksmith. Duh

Yeah it's very cool that you can do the game so "out of order". Really tightly designed game.

Going from Darkroot into the Parish.. it's that one tower with havel in it, right? Wouldn't you still have to go over the Taurus bridge to get to the gargoyles? Clearly, you wouldn't, but I'm still confused.

Nope. You can go from Darkroot straight to the Parish at the bottom of the church that the Titanite demon was in.

Speaking of, you think you could have warned me, Andre? First time I was there, I was totally not ready for it, and it make me its bitch with the quickness. When I respawned at the bonfire, I gave Andre a glare that could melt iron, but the smug bastard didn't apologize or nothin, just kept working like I wasn't even there. Wouldn't even look at me.

Booshka

No it's the tunnel that you go into after you get the Grass Crest Shield, there is an elevator that connects the Valley of Drakes and the Forest.

Sullichin

Nope. You can go from Darkroot straight to the Parish at the bottom of the church that the Titanite demon was in.

Speaking of, you think you could have warned me, Andre? First time I was there, I was totally not ready for it, and it make me its bitch with the quickness. When I respawned at the bonfire, I gave Andre a glare that could melt iron, but the smug bastard didn't apologize or nothin, just kept working like I wasn't even there. Wouldn't even look at me.

No it's the tunnel that you go into after you get the Grass Crest Shield, there is an elevator that connects the Valley of Drakes and the Forest.

Yeah I remembered that after the fact.. for some reason I was thinking you wouldn't be able to get back up there without the crest shortcut, but you can go backtrack through the basin.

Probably gonna have another playthrough where I do the game out of order.

I sunk ~ 200 hours into this game and I'm not even close to platinum (think i have 68% of trophies). Don't feel like spending my time doing tedious stuff like upgrading weapons I won't use (although I'll eventually get those trophies probably).. and probably wont ever attempt the rare weapons trophy, just seems like a massive pain in the ass. Spent tons of time doing coop (lots of hours waiting to be summoned, too).

2AdEPT

I don't even go to the undead burg for new characters....my whole thing is the master key and acquiring the lightning spear and gold hemmed set as early as possible. I usually get the winged spear and suffer with less damage until then, no need for drake. THe winged spear uses more swings but when ducked behind a shield you can still attack...I usually use the wooden shield right off so that I can run by the drakes and get hit once without dying, plus it is reasonable for overal physical block if not 100%. THen i get to the grass shield, wolf ring, and grab moss and the rest is history. here is a "recommended order" for noobs or vets alike....I have been lambasted becuase this is not, " the recommended route" -----think about the logic of there actually being "A" recommended route in a gmae that professes to be "wide open" before you reply with hate mail...... (please note there are spoilers, if you want to figure all this out for yourself do not read the spoilers below):

for all of this to work, ensure you are <25% burden even with starting gear...take off the helm and gloves, whatever it takes to stay under...and take the master key as gift!!!!!!! to make it easier go pyro but this is not necessary.

1.) Firelink - > acquire all the loot first by
going up stairs near to the right when facing the tree, jumping (rolling) off ledge up near the elevators directly onto the partition between the roofed area where Petrus the cleric is and the path further to the right of the stairs; drop down near chests....there are homeward bones and all kinds of goodies...but the homeward bones are the real prize at seconds into your first visit to firelink. Grab the zweihander and Winged spear from the graveyard ...experienced people can run in a circle and get everything while dodging the whole mess of skellies, but even inexperienced people should be able to do it in two or three runs.....you got no souls yet...whats the big deal if you die? uSe one of your homeward bones if you must not die there as a noob.

2.)BUrg: get
wooden shield
from burg then return to firelink.

THere are other things to get at the vendor for neurotics like bow (not necessary) repair resin, etc. but I have never used a weapon long enough in early game to really need to repair it...I avoid a lot of contact in early game anyway. Get firebombs if you must. Get the
residence key
for later if you have enough souls, but don't bother if you don't. OPtional is to go further in to burg to get pine resin for adding lightning to your weapons, but you will need the residence key for that. Going all the way to the solaire hangout is also optional, and killingthe black night for experienced vets nets extra souls, but inefficient use of your time as you will not use the summon stone until you come in the back way with this method anyway...and wrecks my route, which was to largely avoid the burg and the dragon in particular.......plus its better to save knights for when you get the increased drop rate much later in sens,,,,...you trip the dragon spawn by going to vendor and woodedn shield, otherwise he won't show if you go backdoor (which is beneficial if you think about it). I think it is worth it for the wooden shield although there are are alternatives like the smaller wood green ?cadeus? shield which also has high lightning resist...most poeple including myself miss this shield in the graveyard/firelink ...can't remember where it is ( guess up stairs near crow to left or in graveyard middle left?) although I know it is inferior to wooden so don't bother.

3,) go below to make way to darkroot via valley of drakes:

you take the stairs near the warrior at bonfire down to elevator, get down more stairs after, then turn right and go in the next archway up some stairs to valley of drakes/new londo gate....it is locked if you have no master key and you will need to enter blighttown to get the regular key for that gate. go accross a bridge, and if you feel the need for souls, you can spritn by the three ogres in the cave there, sit on the stairs at the end of a ramp and watch them fall off the ledge one at a time..theyy swing and hit occasionally as you go by them, but not usually. they are worth 500 souls each after patch so well worth it for a little early game vitality level boosting, but I Can't be bothered to go back to firelink to reset more than once 3000 souls is enough for me there. BUt you are not ready to go down to blighttown yet...go back the way you came and continue down the path...you will cross a bridge and then see a big old dragon...he won't attack until you get the items under his mouth. get the items fast and continue down path...to be honest I still die there 50% of the time, but because your recovery stain is steps back from there you can retrieve it each attempt...although the dragon will start spraying you with phyiscally damaging and poisony breath if you don't just run by at fuill speed upon subsequnet visits...you can kill it with arrows..totally unnecessary and not worth the time at this point...remember my goal here is to get those bells rung ASAP!

continue past the next two lightning firing drakes... admittedly this is the tougherst part of this deal...probably died 5 times dodge rolling to the right or left ...then tried just running straight through with wooden shield up...got hit by lightnign and survived, second drake didn't even notice me til I was past him to the right and up a small knoll and into cover behind a wall...there is a door to an elevator and bonfire there to darkroot basin. Item to the left accross bredigfe with multiple drakes not worth it at this point but regardless grimfaced death awaits before even getting there...if you must, go back after getting the bonfire on the right FIRST.

4.) basin - first thing you encounter here is more stress in a
black knight,
but you can run by and get
grass shield and suicide if you do not want to kill him too early for a better chance at his drops later. Just run down to the right after cave for shield, (it boosts stamina recovery so is useful right away and will carry you throught the game for bossess like 4 kings etc.) then run back by the knight. I fought him last time and beat him using the same startegy i use with the lightning spear, it just took longer, and was less forgiving when I got hit (two shots and dead.)
BUt there is a bonfire right there so no worries all around.

next go up the path and ensure you kill the
crystal lizard
about half way up the windy path...I beleive just beofre you get there, you will see an item on a partition ledge, it is a
host of armour, a long bow and arrows.

edit: sorry got to go - will edit post in an hour or so for the finale!!!

so as I was saying.......the point of darkroot this early is mostly to get the moss necessary to heal in the swamp for BLighttown, and you can use pyro if you have it to make this easy.... you can grab the wolf ring without engaging the stone giants (they will attack) but are so slow that you can boot it without fighting them. The tree creatures provide souls and more importantly the moss. At least 5 purple moss is recommended but 10 is better, plus you can do the blooming ones but really are not necessary for early game unless you intend to engage the blowdarts early (not recommended.)

5.) ASylum - go up from Darkroot and engage the PAriush from behind...you cna do the level here now backwards and get the stone from solaire, but it really is unnessary as NPC help is available for both bells, and althoguh I could be mistaken, it is not necessary to have other's signs appear is it?. I recommend picking it up at some point beofre the first boss fight (queelag) though in case you need humanity you can drop your stone to get more. If not, Just go straight to the elevator back to firelink through parish and use the elevator to
get the crow to take you to asylum. you will also need to acquire the key on top teh roof of the area where the cleric petrus hangs out.

HEre at asylum revisited, you have one simple goal -
get the rusted ring which enables you to roll/run fast in the swamp........... and an optional addition is to get teh crest shield. Its a "might as well since you are there" as you will wnat it at many points in the game as it enables you to block 85 % magic at butterfly boss and DUkes's etc.. If you choose to go for crest now You will have your first fight of the game vs. the first person you met fittingly, and he is tough (high vitality/armour resist) so use parries and backstabs or the fight will last a long time and use all your estus (unless you kindle.)
probably the second most difficult part with this route, but again not necessary to ring bells so don't do it if you can't beat him. DOn't bother with the stary demon below until later. You can trade with the crow girl if you wish but unnessary. In order to get the ring you must use the key acquired on the roof at firelink to open a door upstairs which was previously locked. THere are black knights all over the place down where you started in the prison and an item for later there, but don't bother until later.

6.) Blighttown/Demon's ruins - finally you can go to the back door of blighttown and kill queelag. Wear the
rusted ring.
Get human and kill the NPC phantom mildred and that is enough to enable you to kill queelag if you are magic user etc, as she will show her sign at the boss door. if you are pyro, then hire help, preferably a magic user (look for dusk crown or catalyst etc.) as your pyro won't even register damage and you will have to have a tonne of patience if you mellee at such a low level. YOu should be SL 15-20 by now. I beleive it is fun to do this boss first as you can a.) get awesome pyro after from the choas covenenant, b.) do a quick run with the homeward to acquire gold hemmed set from the start of demon's ruins (or if willing to cheese a boss you could even cheese the ceaseless discharge) I did the bone the first time and fought him latrer but have subsequenly saved time by cheesing.
The prize there is a light armour set that you can wear the entire rest of the game if you wish, has high fire, poison and magic resist...can be beat for poise and physical damage but not without upgrading a tonne. Provides a hassle freee set that requires no upgrades nad no stamina penalty (low weight.)

Definitely get pyro and join the covenant there for the
chaos pyro...takes two slots but reasonable upgrades will melt Capra in two hits (if need be, I;m not suggesting this is mandaotry use of your new toys, just know it is an option!!!!)

7.) Gargoyles - do the parish any way you please but recommended is to free lautrec, visit him in firelink, then hire him for the boss...he is tougher than solaire (not sure about damage done to boss as solaire has lightnign, but he won't die..never seen it anyway)...i hire both guys now unless there is really cool looking phantom to hire..then solaire is first to sit.

8.) once you ring the bell you can fianlly switch your winged spear to the
lightning spear
in sens. hire help if you need (i didn't need) but I will not spoil how to get the spear....that's up to you. Sen's is the best level IMO. YOu also get a tonne of rings etc, and can go back and do all knights with superior drop rate etc.

NOw you cna do whatever you want! go forward an back through blighttown to get armour shield or sword, depths is linear as the door doens't open fomr blighttown must have key and open formother side.....pretty much your choice where to go though and you will have an admittedly powerful armour and spear at your disposal for tight places etc. You don't have to use it if you wnat more of a challenge but most complain abou tthe toughness early on and this is from's way of appeasing all customers...don't ignore this option if you feel the game is "too hard" :) ifyou hired help before for capra and gaping, you don't have to now..try these solo now! Another idea is that you cna now choose whatever early game armour shield weapon combo you want and it won't be too tough to get there.

.GqueB.

Banned

Again I must ask this. What exactly do people expect faith users to fight with? Every other offensive spell in our arsenal takes too long to cast and youre gonna dodge it anyways. So I have you coming at me with crystal homing soulmass or with a giant claymore with Havels armor on. What exactly am I supposed to do? Chip at you with whatever weapon I have that youre probably gonna tear through anyway? Or dance around you until the lag affords you the opportunity to warp back stab me?

Im no "spammer" by any means. I usually chip away with whatever weapon and use WoG when I see an opening. I dont just run up and use it. But faith users get so much shit for using it when all I face are one of the above mentioned players in PvP. Why must I artificially cripple myself by not using a "cheap" spell while you can sit there, throw on heavy armor and swing a giant weapon at me?

Disclaimer: Im not saying ALL of you fight like this (how would I know) but Ive faced this so often that I have to believe that at least SOME of you do.

Ive fought online a billion times and Ive only had one person who fought me face to face. We both fought with kitanas, neither of us were healing, we were trying to parry. It was amazing. Once.

tokkun

If Intelligence casters are allowed to have 20 Homing Crystal Soul Mass spells (NG+), FAITH users are allowed to have 6 WoGs! One hit from a strong crystal soul mass, and it can take you out.

WoG is the best PvP spell in the game for Faith users. I usually reserve it for end of fight situations, once I get them weak though other means. If they start using Estus, its wrath time.

My current invasion loadout is WoG x2, Great Heal (or Replenishment depending on Chaos Blade usage), and Vow of Silence. Chaos Blade +5, +10 Humanity. Ring of the firstborn, Darkmoon Crown, Bloodshield +15.

I love Vow of Silence.. people don't expect it.

Why am I not surprised that a WoG apologist is a WoG user?

From many, many hours of PvP I can tell you that Homing Crystal is nowhere near WoG in cheese-factor. Homing Crystal is not that hard to dodge once you get used to it, and trying to get a 2nd casting off against me usually results in a backstab kill. Not to mention that its damage did get nerfed in the last patch.

WoG should have a longer startup animation on par with other spells, making it more possible to dodge. It should also not stun.

2AdEPT

I think you misunderstand what he's saying. What was meant is that even though the taurus demon is technically optional, the method of doing so (especially if you don't have the Key) is so much harder, longer, and inconvenient than just killing the stupid thing that there's no real point to doing it except for bragging rights.

I interpreted the break game part correctly I think, he said it would be "fun" which I agree with, break is inappropriate ythough as it insinuates either that the develpers had an intended path in mind for you and that wasn't it, or that you become to powerful too early for certain bosses againbased on some contrived developer intended "order" which doesn't exist....they force a path when they want to force a path (bells, lordvessel) otherwise its your own choice to go where you want.

I interpreted the break game part correctly I think, he said it would be "fun" which I agree with, break is inappropriate ythough as it insinuates either that the develpers had an intended path in mind for you and that wasn't it, or that you become to powerful too early for certain bosses againbased on some contrived developer intended "order" which doesn't exist....they force a path when they want to force a path (bells, lordvessel) otherwise its your own choice to go where you want.

Taurus demon is absolutely the intended path. You have to go very far out of your way to skip it, and there's no way someone would find that method accidentally. I can buy going through Havel's door and not realizing you could go up, maybe, but not the whole drake/darkroot method- any reasonable player would turn around after getting their ass handed to them by the Drakes and Ents and Forest Covenant, and don't even start on going to Blighttown first. The other routes, and the Master Key in general, is more for people who have already play the game once and want to skip the Burg, which is pretty much a training wheels level.

Just because it's not technically exploiting any glitches or stuff like that doesn't mean it's not obvious sequence breaking.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just got a black knight halberd and a blue titanite chunk, are these things rare? This is the first time a knight has dropped anything for me.

Just got a black knight halberd and a blue titanite chunk, are these things rare? This is the first time a knight has dropped anything for me.

Where are you? I'm guessing you're kinda early in the game so yeah, they are quite rare. A shame you got the halberd though, there are cooler black knight weapons as you will eventually see. If you're using a strength based character you might as well use it though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah, found valley of the drakes, fuck that noise, I'll be back later. ;)

Where are you? I'm guessing you're kinda early in the game so yeah, they are quite rare. A shame you got the halberd though, there are cooler black knight weapons as you will eventually see. If you're using a strength based character you might as well use it though.

I'm dex/end atm.

I'm at that forest level.

Although I also unlocked blight town, but haven't been in it yet.

Ill Saint

Again I must ask this. What exactly do people expect faith users to fight with? Every other offensive spell in our arsenal takes too long to cast and youre gonna dodge it anyways. So I have you coming at me with crystal homing soulmass or with a giant claymore with Havels armor on. What exactly am I supposed to do? Chip at you with whatever weapon I have that youre probably gonna tear through anyway? Or dance around you until the lag affords you the opportunity to warp back stab me?

Im no "spammer" by any means. I usually chip away with whatever weapon and use WoG when I see an opening. I dont just run up and use it. But faith users get so much shit for using it when all I face are one of the above mentioned players in PvP. Why must I artificially cripple myself by not using a "cheap" spell while you can sit there, throw on heavy armor and swing a giant weapon at me?

Disclaimer: Im not saying ALL of you fight like this (how would I know) but Ive faced this so often that I have to believe that at least SOME of you do.

Ive fought online a billion times and Ive only had one person who fought me face to face. We both fought with kitanas, neither of us were healing, we were trying to parry. It was amazing. Once.

Calm down, dude. It's a perfectly legitimate spell, and no-one said you shouldn't use it. The issue is with those that spam it like crazy as their primary tactic or last resort. It's lame. The spell needs a cool down or start-up of some sort, that's all.

Yeah, found valley of the drakes, fuck that noise, I'll be back later. ;)

I'm dex/end atm.

I'm at that forest level.

Although I also unlocked blight town, but haven't been in it yet.

Get used to that place because it's pretty useful throughout the game.

That's a nice drop then, I don't really remember how much STR it requires but well, it's there if you ever need it (or for NG+ where I think black knight weapons become great).

I know the difference between the parish and the burg... read my post and the person I'm responding to again

Yup, I do this a lot when there's a weapon or something I want to build a character around but can't get until Anor Londo. Taurus Demon, Capra Demon and Gaping Dragon are all completely optional with the Master Key.

I go to Blighttown as the first thing from Firelink Shrine when I build my katana character, so I can get the free Iaito. I've made a science out of getting from the bottom to the top as a fresh out of the Asylum newbie. XD

I actually like to go to every part of the game whether it's skipple or not.

The only part I want to really skip is Lost Isialth but I'm not about to join the chaos covenant just for that.

Septimius

(What happened to OT4?)

Been away from Dark Souls for so long now, it's sad :<

Last finals (for my entire bachelor, actually) is tomorrow. You can bet you I will be waiting for you if you try to invade someone in Anor Londo after that. And you will die! Hope to you see you <3

Why am I not surprised that a WoG apologist is a WoG user?

From many, many hours of PvP I can tell you that Homing Crystal is nowhere near WoG in cheese-factor. Homing Crystal is not that hard to dodge once you get used to it, and trying to get a 2nd casting off against me usually results in a backstab kill. Not to mention that its damage did get nerfed in the last patch.

WoG should have a longer startup animation on par with other spells, making it more possible to dodge. It should also not stun.

You have no idea how much I agree. I carry Homing Crystal with my PvP build, but it's rarely worth it. I use it to deter, because anyone can dodge it.

WoG most certainly doesn't fall under that category. If you run up to someone, even someone like that has a fast weapon (katana), I can't even get in a hit before you blast WoG. Then I'm on the ground. So I spam circle to dodge the next one, but of course, you're just standing on my face blasting another one. Feels like I often can't get moving before the next one has gone off.

Longer startup animation. Simple as that. It has a huge range. It's pretty much like any super-heavy weapon, except it takes a fraction of a second to use.

I'm not suggestion faith builds have to nerf themselves down, so if you find joy in running up to anyone and just spamming WoG, then yeah, have fun. I just think it's poorly balanced, but feel free to use it.

I actually like to go to every part of the game whether it's skipple or not.

The only part I want to really skip is Lost Isialth but I'm not about to join the chaos covenant just for that.

From a fictional standpoint, the Chaos Covenant is the one most deserving of your patronage.

Poor Fair Lady :(

Also, the shortcut stays open even if you abandon the Covenant.

While we are on the subject, I have a suspicion that there's cut content with the Chaos Covenant. The Servant Roster is so useless that it smacks of something that they were doing something with, cut out whatever it was for, but didn't get everything.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Moonlight butterfly down! Woo. Now to max out this spear and get crafting.

What's up with the dude at the top of the tower all in stone and stuff?

Also, should I be somewhere else right now? I opened blight town and haven't gone, I know catacombs is open and same with Lando.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The petrified blacksmith? I think Andre might give you some background on him next time you talk, but I can't remember.

He just mentioned something about the shard being rare and from a good smith or something.

So I need large tritonite now in order to progress my weapon to "unique?"

Are those drops only?

From a fictional standpoint, the Chaos Covenant is the one most deserving of your patronage.

Poor Fair Lady :(

If you think about it hard enough, the Darkwraiths are the heroes of land. Purifying the earth of people seeking spoils and trying to make a quick buck.

Hail Kaath

While we are on the subject, I have a suspicion that there's cut content with the Chaos Covenant. The Servant Roster is so useless that it smacks of something that they were doing something with, cut out whatever it was for, but didn't get everything.

Just Chaos ?!?

The entire covenant system reeks of "We had a cool concept, but we had to ship the product before flushing it out completely"

Kinda of funny how the World Tendency system happened to have the same story.

Just Chaos ?!?

The entire covenant system reeks of "We had a cool concept, but we had to ship the product before flushing it out completely"

Kinda of funny how the World Tendency system happened to have the same story.

Oh, absolutely. I've talked at length about how rushed the Covenants are and how several of them should have been merged- the Princess Guard, Way of White, and Sunbros should have been one, the Forest Covenant needed fleshing out, the Blades and Darkwraiths are fine, the Gravelords are a cool concept but a mess in execution, and the Dragon covenant is a useless waste of space and needed to be axed altogether.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Finally killed that bitch black knight with the club at the beginning in the bottom of the tower. /fuck yeah strut.

He dropped havel's ring. Not sure it that's his normal drop or not.

Finally killed that bitch black knight with the club at the beginning in the bottom of the tower. /fuck yeah strut.

He dropped havel's ring. Not sure it that's his normal drop or not.

That's Havel the Rock. He was one of Gwyn's Bishops and one of the only humans in Gwyn's inner circle. He also hated Seath the Scaleless.
Turns out he was a good judge of character.
He gained the Darksign curse at some point in the past and was locked in that tower by a friend so he wouldn't hurt any one once he went Hollow.

That ring's a 100% drop, and very useful.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Oh, absolutely. I've talked at length about how rushed the Covenants are and how several of them should have been merged- the Princess Guard, Way of White, and Sunbros should have been one, the Forest Covenant needed fleshing out, the Blades and Darkwraiths are fine, the Gravelords are a cool concept but a mess in execution, and the Dragon covenant is a useless waste of space and needed to be axed altogether.

The Dragon Covenant items are at least rather interesting and unique even if one of them caused... issues for a while. The online portion of the covenant is nothing but a slightly tweaked dueling stone, but at least it's got something unique going for it unlike the Princess Guard and Way of White.

I wonder when in development the Forest Hunters were added, because those text dumps show that at some stage of development that area was supposed to involve the player and Oscar engaging in jolly co-operation. It may or may not be relevant that Alvina's also the absolute last character listed in the dialogue file.

Apparently GameFAQs has organized a Gravelord Weekend in the Depths, where a bunch of people are going to join the Covenant and start cursing worlds simultaneously. It might be a good opportunity to actually see the Covenant in action.

Calm down, dude. It's a perfectly legitimate spell, and no-one said you shouldn't use it. The issue is with those that spam it like crazy as their primary tactic or last resort. It's lame. The spell needs a cool down or start-up of some sort, that's all.

Im not sure why more people don't keep their shield up. High magic value can block it like any other offensive spell.

Apparently GameFAQs has organized a Gravelord Weekend in the Depths, where a bunch of people are going to join the Covenant and start cursing worlds simultaneously. It might be a good opportunity to actually see the Covenant in action.

I would definitely do that. Any idea when it will be?

The Dragon Covenant items are at least rather interesting and unique even if one of them caused... issues for a while. The online portion of the covenant is nothing but a slightly tweaked dueling stone, but at least it's got something unique going for it unlike the Princess Guard and Way of White.

Both of the perks you get are rubbish and the online portion, like you said, is just the Red Soapstone-oh, and by the way, you have to use up a somewhat rare and limited item that is also used to upgrade weapons. It's redundant at best. The Everlasting Dragon doesn't even have dialogue, for crying out loud. It's just there. It would be a perfect situation to pull a Kaathe, but the opportunity was wasted. Dragons are intelligent and it's hinted in Seath's backstory that dragons could speak, so there's just no excuse for it besides they were pressed for time, and even worse, Ash Lake has nothing going for it besides a pretty skybox and that Covenant.

Um, yay?

Priscilla would have made an interesting Covenant

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That's Havel the Rock. He was one of Gwyn's Bishops and one of the only humans in Gwyn's inner circle. He also hated Seath the Scaleless.
Turns out he was a good judge of character.
He gained the Darksign curse at some point in the past and was locked in that tower by a friend so he wouldn't hurt any one once he went Hollow.

That ring's a 100% drop, and very useful.

If I read the ring right, will it make me more "nimble" in heavy armor?

Also, where are you getting this lore?!?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I would definitely do that. Any idea when it will be?

Apparently some people have already started cursing. It sounds like most of the people planning on doing the cursing are somewhere in the vicinity of the 50-120 range, but nobody's really sure how the level ranges work. Sounds like they plan on messaging people who invade after being cursed to find out their level to figure out what the soul level range for cursing is. I've got characters at 30, 60, 90, and 120 so I might have them all drop by. Purely in the interests of aiding scientific inquiry, of course, and not out of a selfish desire to finally see a Gravelord curse in action.

I think it's a great idea. Hopefully it'll work out. Might even have one of my dudes take a trip down to the Catacombs to help out on the Gravelord end.

This is the actual thread on GameFAQs.

Both of the perks you get are rubbish and the online portion, like you said, is just the Red Soapstone-oh, and by the way, you have to use up a somewhat rare and limited item that is also used to upgrade weapons. It's redundant at best. The Everlasting Dragon doesn't even have dialogue, for crying out loud. It's just there. It would be a perfect situation to pull a Kaathe, but the opportunity was wasted. Dragons are intelligent and it's hinted in Seath's backstory that dragons could speak, so there's just no excuse for it besides they were pressed for time, and even worse, Ash Lake has nothing going for it besides a pretty skybox and that Covenant.

Um, yay?

Priscilla would have made an interesting Covenant

Yeah, the perks are pretty naff and the online portion is a copy and paste of another item. Now compare that to the Way of White.

Winner? Dragon by a mile.

In the catacombs, there's some bridge-like thing, that's got like a bunch of tall grass/spikes growing out of it. There is also a red glowing guy and two skeletons on the other side. Do I need to cross this? The character doesn't seem to want to walk up onto it and the "plants" look more like the trap spikes that shoot out of the statues to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom