• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
What happens if I joined the
Chaos
covenant, offered
30 humanity
to open that shortcut to
Izalith
and after that leave it for another covenant? Will the door stay open?

dosh

What happens if I joined the
Chaos
covenant, offered
30 humanity
to open that shortcut to
Izalith
and after that leave it for another covenant? Will the door stay open?

It will. As soon as the gate opens, you can break your covenant as much as you want. You can even come back to her, and then leave her and break her heart again, come back, leave, break her heart, etc. You'd be a horrible person to do that though. But the door would still be open.

It will. As soon as the gate opens, you can break your covenant as much as you want. You can even come back to her, and then leave her and break her heart again, come back, leave, break her heart, etc. You'd be a horrible person to do that though. But the door would still be open.

But it doesn't stay open for a new playthrough right?

dosh

But it doesn't stay open for a new playthrough right?

Ha, no. Every door/gate/fog you opened will be closed again upon starting the following playthrough. Your progress in each covenant will go back to zero as well, and you will also lose some items needed to enter certain areas.

A tiny precision about the
Chaos covenant
gate: don't forget to go and open it before you break the covenant. I've seen players assume that reaching the
30 humanities
automatically opens the door. It doesn't, you have to do it yourself.

maomaoIYP

Ha, no. Every door/gate/fog you opened will be closed again upon starting the following playthrough. Your progress in each covenant will go back to zero as well, and you will also lose some items needed to enter certain areas.

Not entirely true, the covenant you stay with as you move into NG+ remains at that level.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is it possible to respec ever after you've put levels points into a character?

I think I made a huge blunder with one of my favorite builds, not realizing the mistake until much later... basically 15-20ish points completely wasted.

I am filled with regret.

I think I made a huge blunder with one of my favorite builds, not realizing the mistake until much later... basically 15-20ish points completely wasted.

I am filled with regret.

It is not possible. Go for a new character? Sorry !

Evolved1

Well, then is there any benefit to high DEX? I was initially lvl'n it because I had an S bow, but once you upgrade the bows you lose the DEX benefit... making it useless, as far as I can tell.

I could have pumped that into VIT or RES and been much better off.

Well, then is there any benefit to high DEX? I was initially lvl'n it because I had an S bow, but once you upgrade the bows you lose the DEX benefit... making it useless, as far as I can tell.

If DEX scales with your main weapon fine, then its no problem. But its much more about what you want to do. I mean people who do PVP are usually at certain levels and they level up for their main weapons, skills to have the maximum benefit. So if you are comfortable with what you have and not interested in PVP so much (and if your main weapons/weapon scales with DEX) then you are fine i guess.

If you can give detail on your stats and weapons you use, i think me and more people would be able to give more accurate info on your situation.

joe2187

Banned
This game has such great enviroments, I just made it into the crystal cave and I'm just wondering around minding my own business looking at all the pretties

Impaled by a butterfly.....BUT IT WAS SO PRETTY !!!

The walkways in blightown made me nervous...so lets up the ante and make them FUCKING INVISIBLE!?! YEAHHHH!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Take that Bed of Chaos piece of shit. Kinda liked how this is a fight that you should approach in a different way. I hated having to repeat the section like 10 times to get the pattern though.

YAY!

I went to Duke's Archives earlier today and managed to plow through it all, eventually. Seath was a piece of cake with the Great Lightning Spear, just ten of those. Then I went to Demon Ruins and fought my way to the second bonfire, where I picked up my coop friend again. Did the two next bosses and then pretty much destroyed Lost Izalith. Bed of Chaos was annoying but once I learned the pattern it was mostly a question of getting that jump right.

Then I did New Londo Ruins up until the boss and did Four Kings in the first try after summoning my pal again at the boss (his character was rather uber, but did die before the last king). Then down through catacombs again and again coop through Tomb. Nito was really simple with the two of us using magic.

Finally a trip to Gwyndolin for two quick trophies. I considered levelling up a few more weapons with all those titanite things, but I wanted to get this over with. Then a short trip to the Kiln and finally I'm done with this game. Good riddance!

Dresden

Sounds like you upgraded it wrong. Only the 'normal' path (goes up to +15) will scale with your main stat. Divine, Lightning, etc will either switch the scaling stat or eliminate it altogether.

The bow you had is just fine, btw, and high dex is very good. 45 is as far as you need to go though.

Evolved1

Sounds like you upgraded it wrong. Only the 'normal' path (goes up to +15) will scale with your main stat. Divine, Lightning, etc will either switch the scaling stat or eliminate it altogether.

The bow you had is just fine, btw, and high dex is very good. 45 is as far as you need to go though.

I put lightning on the bow... but at the cost of my DEX bonus. My character's DEX is 40... that's not too high?

I wanted a bow build... and so I was pumping into DEX early to get the buff... but then it seemed like the upgrades pretty much negated that bonus.

I'm trying to play without a wiki, so things are confusing sometimes. I don't actually know what's possible with weapons until I find an ember and then a BS who can smith with it... so it's touch and feel. I was afraid my haste to buff my DEX bonus with the bow in the early game was a poor decision that would cost me now that I'm progressing...

I don't want to look at a wiki (ruins the fun! sometimes haha) but are there any weapons that would benefit from 40 DEX? Feels like I should have put 10-15 of those points into vitality or something.

Sullichin

I put lightning on the bow... but at the cost of my DEX bonus. My character's DEX is 40... that's not too high?

I wanted a bow build... and so I was pumping into DEX early to get the buff... but then it seemed like the upgrades pretty much negated that bonus.

I'm trying to play without a wiki, so things are confusing sometimes. I don't actually know what's possible with weapons until I find an ember and then a BS who can smith with it... so it's touch and feel. I was afraid my haste to buff my DEX bonus with the bow in the early game was a poor decision that would cost me now that I'm progressing...

I don't want to look at a wiki (ruins the fun! sometimes haha) but are there any weapons that would benefit from 40 DEX? Feels like I should have put 10-15 of those points into vitality or something.

Keep Dex at 40, make a +15 uchigatana or +15 iaito. They can also be enchanted and do even more damage.

Quikies83

Anyone on PS3 around level 45 want to CO-OP The Painted World with me? Just Arrived. I'd prefer someone who can take me to all the good items :)

I am filled with regret.

You could bottomless box glitch over all your items & unconsumed souls into a new character though.

Soulhouf

Lightning on bow is useless because you need lightning arrows to get the effect, which does not exist.

I recommend to revert your bow to +10 then ascend it to +11, continue upgrading it and it will kick ass especially if it's the Black bow of Pharis.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Where do most people leave summon signs in the painted world? By the main bonfire?

Basically all of them tend to be near the bonfire, yeah, though there are sometimes a couple in front of the boss door and I've seen dueling signs in the main courtyard from time to time.

Bonfires and boss doors tend to be the primary locations in general for co-op signs.

Apdiddy

I managed to get a LOT done in Dark Souls
fought the Executioner & Dragonslayer bosses with co-op help online and got the Lordvassel
but now I'm stuck in the Painted World without Blooming Purple Clumps. I didn't realize some of the enemies are toxic.

So basically I'm dropping a summon sign and going through the world to make sense of it. Then, this dude invades me and he's next to impossible to kill. Any attack barely takes 10 hit points off of him. The only thing that seems to work is toxic cloud. Plus, he's moving really fast and doing the ninja rolls without seemingly stopping. I don't know if he's cheating but most people that have invaded me don't move that fast.

Sullichin

fought the Executioner & Dragonslayer bosses with co-op help online and got the Lordvassel
but now I'm stuck in the Painted World without Blooming Purple Clumps. I didn't realize some of the enemies are toxic.

So basically I'm dropping a summon sign and going through the world to make sense of it. Then, this dude invades me and he's next to impossible to kill. Any attack barely takes 10 hit points off of him. The only thing that seems to work is toxic cloud. Plus, he's moving really fast and doing the ninja rolls without seemingly stopping. I don't know if he's cheating but most people that have invaded me don't move that fast.

if you're on ps3 what soul level? I might be able to give you some moss. also, if you kill those enemies with a fire weapon, they won't make you toxic.

Booshka

You're good, 40 Dex is great, 45 is even better if you are gonna use Pyromancy. Black Bow of Pharis at +15, Longbow +15 and Composite Bow +15 all do a lot of damage with 40 Dex. I like Black bow best for the shot range, but Composite has a quicker firing rate. Any katana is good for 40 dex, Washing pole being the exception because it has shit scaling. Balder side sword, Lifehunt scythe, Chaos blade are all great pure physical dex weapons fully upgraded.

Resistance is a worthless stat by the way, don't level it.

Daigoro

i finally bought this game after renting it when it was released. made a new character and started a new run as a Pyromancer.

i forgot where everything is. cant find that first shop dude and i forget how to open the shortcut to the bonfire in Undeadburg.

having lots of fun and dying a lot! this game is great.

Hard to imagine anyone still playing without the Ninja ring.

i finally bought this game after renting it when it was released. made a new character and started a new run as a Pyromancer.

i forgot where everything is. cant find that first shop dude and i forget how to open the shortcut to the bonfire in Undeadburg.

having lots of fun and dying a lot! this game is great.

It is near the first bonfire. Go back, i think two archers should be on the left. Go there, kill them. There are barrels, they hid the stairs behind those.

sixghost

I can't believe people go through this much trouble to be an ass in an online game.

There are legitimate uses for it. If you lose a save, or really mess up your build. You can speedrun to the great dragon in a few hours and glitch back up to your old SL in much less time than completely restarting.

Dresden

I can't believe people go through this much trouble to be an ass in an online game.

The SL glitch is harmless, just means they're going up to sl120 or whatever high level they need to hit. It was even easier to soul glitch in DeSouls, anyways.

Solo

I would like to meet whoever was responsible for the design of the Tomb of Giants and punch him in the cock.

Grinchy

Banned
There are legitimate uses for it. If you lose a save, or really mess up your build. You can speedrun to the great dragon in a few hours and glitch back up to your old SL in much less time than completely restarting.

The SL glitch is harmless, just means they're going up to sl120 or whatever high level they need to hit. It was even easier to soul glitch in DeSouls, anyways.

Oh ok good. I thought that was relating to the old stats glitch.

Soulhouf

I would like to meet whoever was responsible for the design of the Tomb of Giants and punch him in the cock.

I would like to punch them because they made it easier. The fact that they didn't keep the original concept (complete darkness + longer agro range + skull lantern only available in the TotG) sucks.
Now this place is no longer as terrifying as it used to be.

I finally had some time dive back into this game, I really need longer sessions than my regular 30-45 minutes that I get during weekdays.

I cleared Anor Londo. To my amazement, I rushed past those archers without any problems, probably dumb luck. I'd been fearing this part for weeks, but I managed to easily dodge all arrows and beat the archer. It was one of those stressed, frantic fights where you end up (somehow) dual-handing a spear (after first clumsily switching to a bow at close range) and trying to use green blossom rather than a flask. I guess my motor skills are somewhat lacking.

I helped some people to beat Smough & co and managed to beat them myself on my second serious attempt. It is amazing how skilled my online guys were - i assume these were not first timers. I feel bad for the people that select me to aid them as a phantom. I'm good at drawing aggro for 30 seconds, though!

Finding a lightning spear made life a lot easier. I've got it to +2 and it has served me well for the last few parts of the game. Should I stick to my Eagle shield +5?

Any advice for the next area (Duke's Archive, I think?) regarding weapons? I still have all boss souls.

Sullichin

What if the designer is a woman? Bad level design is not exclusive to men!

TOG is not bad level design O_O

I would like to punch them because they made it easier. The fact that they didn't keep the original concept (complete darkness + longer agro range + skull lantern only available in the TotG) sucks.
Now this place is no longer as terrifying as it used to be.

if anything, this!
I finally had some time dive back into this game, I really need longer sessions than my regular 30-45 minutes that I get during weekdays.

I cleared Anor Londo. To my amazement, I rushed past those archers without any problems, probably dumb luck. I'd been fearing this part for weeks, but I managed to easily dodge all arrows and beat the archer. It was one of those stressed, frantic fights where you end up (somehow) dual-handing a spear (after first clumsily switching to a bow at close range) and trying to use green blossom rather than a flask. I guess my motor skills are somewhat lacking.

I helped some people to beat Smough & co and managed to beat them myself on my second serious attempt. It is amazing how skilled my online guys were - i assume these were not first timers. I feel bad for the people that select me to aid them as a phantom. I'm good at drawing aggro for 30 seconds, though!

Finding a lightning spear made life a lot easier. I've got it to +2 and it has served me well for the last few parts of the game. Should I stick to my Eagle shield +5?

Any advice for the next area (Duke's Archive, I think?) regarding weapons? I still have all boss souls.

My problem with the lightning spear is that I hate the move set. If you give us your stats we'll be able to give some weapon recommendations. The enemies in Dukes hit pretty hard. Eagle shield is pretty good, but you'll want a parrying shield for the last boss.

Quikies83

So I've got a titanite slab and a titanite chunk -- should I feed these to the serpent on hold on to them? I've already got my weapons set -- Lightning Iaito +2, Claymore +10, and lightning Spear +2.. Also, what would be the best route to take with my Claymore? I'm not on NG+

So I've got a titanite slab and a titanite chunk -- should I feed these to the serpent on hold on to them? I've already got my weapons set -- Lightning Iaito +2, Claymore +10, and lightning Spear +2.. Also, what would be the best route to take with my Claymore? I'm not on NG+

Hold on to them. There's no point in feeding the serpent anything. I would use them to upgrade your lightning iaito further. At +5 it's a beastly weapon and it makes the lightning spear useless.

CatPee

Keep the slab and find more chunks. What does your build look like? A Claymore +15 is an excellent damage dealer with quick attacks if you have decent STR and DEX and even more so with enchantment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom