• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canova

Banned
Holy fucking crap, what a great session I just finished. I made it to the bottom of the catacombs, then pretty close to the boss' hideout I got invaded by some dude who I just nailed with the almighty Zweinhander and I got 24k souls. Then after that I proceeded to destroy Nito on my first try.

Goddamn, after so much work put into my character, it's awesome to finally feel like a badass. I also finished the Great Hollow Part and joined the Dragon covenant (whatever that means).

Looks like my quest to finish the game this week is on a solid track. Now on to the Four Kings.

I think Four Kings would serve you some humble pie and remind you of your place in the hierarchy ;P

JudgeN

Ive been practicing my PVP and Ive gotten better and farmed up 1million souls but now Ive hit a wall and its odd. SL 141 in the forest and I no longer get invaded. I did kill Shiva of the east and the Cat disappeared because I betrayed the covenant, so now I don't get invaded anymore or was it just bad luck.

Sullichin

Holy fucking crap, what a great session I just finished. I made it to the bottom of the catacombs, then pretty close to the boss' hideout I got invaded by some dude who I just nailed with the almighty Zweinhander and I got 24k souls. Then after that I proceeded to destroy Nito on my first try.

Goddamn, after so much work put into my character, it's awesome to finally feel like a badass. I also finished the Great Hollow Part and joined the Dragon covenant (whatever that means).

Looks like my quest to finish the game this week is on a solid track. Now on to the Four Kings.

Don't mean to burst your bubble.. but it sounds like the invader you killed was the NPC Paladin Leeroy. Was it this guy - http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Paladin+Leeroy ? There should be some armor to pick up in Nito's room if you beat him, I like that armor set a lot.

lol - played through NG++ and i had no idea about this.
Game is full of stuff like that. Didn't know about the second bonfire in the catacombs until like my third playthrough.

Booshka

Ive been practicing my PVP and Ive gotten better and farmed up 1million souls but now Ive hit a wall and its odd. SL 141 in the forest and I no longer get invaded. I did kill Shiva of the east and the Cat disappeared because I betrayed the covenant, so now I don't get invaded anymore or was it just bad luck.

Please tell me you don't chug estus during fights. I hate when I invade people that chug all day.

JudgeN

Please tell me you don't chug estus during fights. I hate when I invade people that chug all day.

Between the lag and constant pressure I normally don't get a flask off but sometimes I can get chug per fight. Either way whats wrong with it? I hate when phantoms run off to areas with aggressive monsters and pop humanity seems about the same as chugging an estus.

Booshka

Between the lag and constant pressure I normally don't get a flask off but sometimes I can get chug per fight. Either way whats wrong with it? I hate when phantoms run off to areas with aggressive monsters and pop humanity seems about the same as chugging an estus.

It's a lot harder to heal as a Phantom/Invader than it is as Host. I prefer fair fights, no one heals, and both fight to the death. If every time I get someone weak and they just chug, it's no longer a fun duel, it's a war of attrition where I just try to sprint toward their back while they chug. Especially if you are going to just camp the forest and farm invaders. Forest PvP is shitty enough, don't need more people chugging. Just go with a Rules of Engagement stance; don't heal until they do. If no one heals, fight to the death and have a good time.

Dylan

There's no way around it. Also you cannot get any of the covenant items that you received in the original playthrough.

Different enemies have different resistances, also, damage that is split into two categories tend to do less damage than those that aren't. Anything that is blunt is great for the catacombs, because skeletons collapse with each hit taken. I used a halberd, has nice R2 attacks great for skeleton mobs.

Took your advice and upgraded a Divine Gargoyle's Halbred and loving it against skeletons.

One thing though, when I swing it my character does this weird animation like it's too heavy for her, even though I meet the strength requirement for the weapon. Is there any way to overcome this, or it just how that weapon is?

Mike M

Nick N
Took your advice and upgraded a Divine Gargoyle's Halbred and loving it against skeletons.

One thing though, when I swing it my character does this weird animation like it's too heavy for her, even though I meet the strength requirement for the weapon. Is there any way to overcome this, or it just how that weapon is?

You have to two-hand it to use it without staggering.

Sullichin

That's why I just host myself. It's satisfying to not use estus even if the invader is an asshole. Love when some idiot invades me in the burg in full havels + eagle shield, runs away, aggros the enemies, pokes me with a spear while i'm fighting them, and still kill him when i'm down to a sliver of health. I find that people who don't play fairly tend to actually suck at the game. Makes sense, if they spend their time backstabbing hosts as they're bowing, they're not really getting any experience with a real fight. Also what's with invaders trying to use the separation crystal when they're about to lose... it's not a big deal at all to lose an invasion.

My sunlight blade DGM is destroying. I killed the same invader 3 times in a row, 3 good fights. Then fought him a few more times without the sunlight blade because I felt bad. It's really excellent against people who readily eat up one hit with high poise armor to try to get around me for a backstab; it does more damage than they might have been expecting, and I often catch them on the backswing as well. Wish I had more than 1 charge for it, but even if I get invaded when I don't have it available, the DGM is pretty good by itself. Also have one slot for WOG which is great for cleanup.

Booshka

That's why I just host myself. It's satisfying to not use estus even if the invader is an asshole. Love when some idiot invades me in the burg in full havels + eagle shield, runs away, aggros the enemies, pokes me with a spear while i'm fighting them, and still kill him when i'm down to a sliver of health. I find that people who don't play fairly tend to actually suck at the game. Makes sense, if they spend their time backstabbing hosts as they're bowing, they're not really getting any experience with a real fight. Also what's with invaders trying to use the separation crystal when they're about to lose... it's not a big deal at all to lose an invasion.

My sunlight blade DGM is destroying. I killed the same invader 3 times in a row, 3 good fights. Then fought him a few more times without the sunlight blade because I felt bad. It's really excellent against people who readily eat up one hit with high poise armor to try to get around me for a backstab; it does more damage than they might have been expecting, and I often catch them on the backswing as well. Wish I had more than 1 charge for it, but even if I get invaded when I don't have it available, the DGM is pretty good by itself. Also have one slot for WOG which is great for cleanup.

Same on all accounts. I hardly ever use WoG on my DGM Faith build, but if someone is fishing for backstabs the whole fight, or turtling/running away when they are weak, I will use it. DGM is pure physical damage if it's not enchanted so you aren't going to be able to chip them down if they are turtling behind a shield all the time. It is funny when people just try to tank a hit and go for backstab, 1 regular hit from an enchanted DGM does more damage than most backstabs lol.

Soulhouf

Why don't you use also the Darkmoon Blade?

Sullichin

Why don't you use also the Darkmoon Blade?

Only because I killed gwyndolin in my current playthrough already. In the next cycle I'll either pick up another sunlight blade or DMB, probably sunlight though, I don't really like being in the darkmoon covenant.

Soulhouf

Only because I killed gwyndolin in my current playthrough already. In the next cycle I'll either pick up another sunlight blade or DMB, probably sunlight though, I don't really like being in the darkmoon covenant.

You can't pick up another sunlight blade. I played until NG+5 with a character and I was able to get only one sunlight blade.

Soulhouf

This guy has 3 casts in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnax2X5xXd0

I've read that you just need to kill gwyndolin again in ng+. It's not a covenant miracle so you should be able to get it more than once.

That's strange...
I tried to rank down and up again in sunbro covenant many times in my multiple NG+ and It never offered me again the sunlight blade...

So I have to kill Gwyndolin to get it. That's so weird ...

Sullichin

That's strange...
I tried to rank down and up again in sunbro covenant many times in my multiple NG+ and It never offered to me again the sunlight blade...

Are you perhaps thinking of sunlight spear (the one you need to kill Gwyn/offer his soul at the altar to get)? Cause for sunlight blade, you don't even need to be part of a covenant. You just need to kill Gwyndolin, and it's in a chest after that boss room.

Soulhouf

Are you perhaps thinking of sunlight spear (the one you need to kill Gwyn/offer his soul at the altar to get)? Cause for sunlight blade, you don't even need to be part of a covenant. You just need to kill Gwyndolin, and it's in a chest after that boss room.

Oh you're right.
But still I killed Gwyndolin twice and I have only one sunlight blade.
Now I'm pissed off. I have to try another NG+ to check this...

Booshka

Oh you're right.

I have a character on NG+6 that has 7 Sunlight blade scrolls, so you can definitely get multiples. Covenant rewards you can only get once.

Sullichin

Oh you're right.

Haha this game will always give you a reason to finish your current cycle and start again. If you've already killed gwyndolin this run, warp to darkmoon bonfire and run to the room after the boss fight room - it might still be sitting in one of the treasure chests there.

RZI

I started this yesterday and so far it's been really great. Today I consumed Fire Keeper Soul instead of upgrading the Estus Flask argg...

maomaoIYP

That's just the whiff animation for heavier weapons, you're not actually staggering when you land a hit.

Mxrz

How much harder does the game get with further NGs? Does it ever reach a point like in Demon's Souls where even the Tower Knight would just become ridiculous? I sort of miss that crazy impossible feeling. NG++ doesn't feel much different.

dosh

How much harder does the game get with further NGs? Does it ever reach a point like in Demon's Souls where even the Tower Knight would just become ridiculous? I sort of miss that crazy impossible feeling. NG++ doesn't feel much different.

Not much harder. The highest leap in difficulty is probably between ng and ng+. By the time you reach ng+++, you are so dramatically overpowered and experienced that nothing seems impossible. Of course, I still get destroyed on a regular basis by basic grunts in the Archives for example, but this has more to do with me being lazy and not careful enough than with the actual difficulty of the game.
In the end, DkS is probably easier than DS. Or maybe we just got better at it because we played DS first.

In the end, DkS is probably easier than DS. Or maybe we just got better at it because we played DS first.

I wouldn't say that DkS is that hard anyway, at least after first few bosses. If you can beat Quelaag it's pretty certain you will not have much problems with the rest (except maybe for Anor Londo boss and Four Kings) as long as you have figured out how you upgrade weapons. I thought the game would be much much harder than it actually was. Not saying I am disappointed with the difficulty, it's just right. Hard enough to keep you awake at all times but not frustrating by any means.

I haven't played Demon's Souls yet so I can't compare DkS to that.

dosh

I wouldn't say that DkS is that hard anyway, at least after first few bosses. If you can beat Quelaag it's pretty certain you will not have much problems with the rest (except maybe for Anor Londo boss and Four Kings) as long as you have figured out how you upgrade weapons. I thought the game would be much much harder than it actually was. Not saying I am disappointed with the difficulty, it's just right. Hard enough to keep you awake at all times but not frustrating by any means.

I haven't played Demon's Souls yet so I can't compare DkS to that.

Ho you're right, it's not as hard as most of us expected. The whole "prepare to die" thing was fun, but in the end it was just that: a funny tagline.
You should probably try Demon's Souls though: it really reeks of this impossible, insurmountable feeling of despair that crushes you on a regular basis. Something I never really got in DkS. Well, maybe the first time I entered TTOG.
But that's one of the great things about the two Souls games: they're often hard, sometimes mean, but rarely or never unfair. Or frustrating, as you precisely said.

Gueras

Banned
The game is NOT easy, but is NOT impossible...

And for sure Demon Souls is much,much,much harder....

But the fun is not to be hard...

Guevara

Dark Souls got incredible easy after O&S for me. Duke's Archive/Crystal Caves were no problem. The Painted World was actually easy. From what I've seen of the Catacombs I was wrong to save it for nearly the end.

Gueras

Banned
How i get back to Undead Asylum? i need to do there and the paint before i finish the game...

just missing tomb of giants i guess...

Cat Party

Been playing this game a lot since last week. In the 40s on SL, with great gear (elite knight armor, black knight greatsword and shield, Havel's ring). I need some help on upgrading though. I understand all the different paths, but what do people think it the best upgrade strategy? I have a Battle Axe +5, and I have the embers to make it raw, divine, or go farther on the normal path. Will it benefit me to have a divine weapon if I'm not putting points into Intelligence? I am mostly putting points into strength (thinking about getting to 40 so I can use the Stone Greatsword I have), so should I just keep on the normal path for now with my weapons?

Been playing this game a lot since last week. In the 40s on SL, with great gear (elite knight armor, black knight greatsword and shield, Havel's ring). I need some help on upgrading though. I understand all the different paths, but what do people think it the best upgrade strategy? I have a Battle Axe +5, and I have the embers to make it raw, divine, or go farther on the normal path. Will it benefit me to have a divine weapon if I'm not putting points into Intelligence? I am mostly putting points into strength (thinking about getting to 40 so I can use the Stone Greatsword I have), so should I just keep on the normal path for now with my weapons?

Make a lightning weapon. I would ditch the axe and go with a katana. Divine weapons are pointless except for one part of the game.

Sullichin

That's pretty much all there is to say about it. Should be an OT title:

Dark Souls |OT5| Bed of Chaos. What is this shit?!
After beating the game several times this is the only boss that still gives me trouble. Fell to my death 4 times fighting it last night. I've only beat it in one shot one time.

Divine scales with faith, and faith scaling isn't so great. Stone greatsword is cool, but your black knight greatsword is better. I'd upgrade that if you like that weapon.

After beating the game several times this is the only boss that still gives me trouble. Fell to my death 4 times fighting it last night. I've only beat it in one shot one time.

The problem is that it's so damn big. In the time it takes you to turn the camera and figure out what attack it's getting ready for, you should have already been moving.

Dylan

I found the black knight in the catacombs to be a beast with his black night great axe. Did anyone use this weapon as their main? Would like to know how it is after a few upgrades.

MrWisker

Last night my SL 141 character was constantly being invaded in the forest. Fending off the forest dweallers and invaders doing a NG++++ run was not fun as those forest hunters start hitting real hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom