• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I have a Divine Balder Sword +9 and a Divine Darksword +9 on my Dex(40)/Faith(45) build. On which one should I use the White Slab? Or would Occult be even better?

Pakkidis

Update:

Doing very well so far, went through darkroot garden/basin with minimal difficulty. I also beat new londo ruins. I died many times but that was due to carelessness. The four kings gave me some trouble, took me about 3-4 tries to beat.

The duke's archive was also very fun, loved the look and layout of it, however I despised the crystal caves, thankfully it was very short. The boss also gave me little trouble as well.

Right now I just went through the demon ruins and beat both bosses, and I am currently in Lost Izalith right now, reading to kick some more ass :). I'm using hte black knigh sword +5 with 40 strenght doing 500 damage. Sword hasn't let me down yet.

As for armor I settled on the black iron armor because it looks the coolest out of all the heavy armor. I upgraded all the pieces to + 3.

krakov

I have a Divine Balder Sword +9 and a Divine Darksword +9 on my Dex(40)/Faith(45) build. On which one should I use the White Slab? Or would Occult be even better?

I think occult makes it scale better with faith and adds more magical damage instead of physical damage. You can just take the weapons to a blacksmith and look at what the stats will be with the slab applied before deciding.

Sullichin

Pretty sure I mentioned this before but oh well-
Running past the first few ghosts in New Londo and up the shortcut ladder that you can kick down causes the worst consistent slowdown in the game for me. Climbing up that ladder is a slideshow worse than blighttown and the bad framerate happens 100% of the time.

That being said I rarely have too much fun going through new londo. After countless playthroughs I'll call it my least favorite area of the game. The ghosts are really annoying, especially on later NGs, they aren't satisfying to kill and the area is dark and visually pretty uninteresting. Running from firelink is easy but it's still annoying that there's not a bonfire in the area. I also usually die a couple of times before successfully draining the water, which results in needing to use that slowdown ladder. The frustration of the level goes away after it's drained, but I hate when I forget the very large ember and have to go back there. 4 Kings is a cool fight though. I see ToTG/LI get a lot of hate here but I find new londo much more frustrating. I also happen to think the tomb is pretty awesome.

Also, I find the painting guardians/rafters section to be infinitely more frustrating than the archers. Anyone else agree? I see so much rage for the archers in this thread. They never give me a problem, but there's always the chance I'll fall off the fucking rafters because the swing animation on my weapon pushes me off the ledge or something. I often don't have a ranged option at my disposal so maybe thats why this section can be annoying to me sometimes.

New Londo Ruins is very easy. The first building can be tricky if you get surrounded, but last time I exploded them all with WoG. Then you just need to be a bit careful on the walkways and lure the ghosts up/down to you. Once you get to the main building, just run through the lower path and out to the left. Continue up to the branching path, turn around and just kill off the ghosts as they get near you. Then go back inside and repeat the tactics from the first building.

Once I get the water drained, I just jump down and backstab those wraiths, and take down the blobs from afar with magic.

Soulhouf

New Londo is probably my favorite area. The enemies, the level design and the atmosphere are so amazing.
It was the first area that I visited when I started the game. I will never forget the first contact with the ghosts there, being cursed and working my ass to go to the guy there to heal me. And of course it's one of these areas that you can tackle at any moment of the game and which holds the key to the game's plot. The entire game is built around that level. I really loved it.
Not to mention the boss battle which is the most epic and awesome.

@Sullichin: which ladder are you talking about? I'm not aware of a shortcut involving a ladder in that area o_O

Sullichin

New Londo is probably my favorite area. The enemies, the level design and the atmosphere are so amazing.
It was the first area that I visited when I started the game. I will never forget the first contact with the ghosts there, being cursed and working my ass to go to the guy there to heal me. And of course it's one of these areas that you can tackle at any moment of the game and which holds the key to the game's plot. The entire game is built around that level. I really loved it.
Not to mention the boss battle which is the most epic and awesome.

@Sullichin: which ladder are you talking about? I'm not aware of a shortcut involving a ladder in that area o_O

This ladder:
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/wiki-api.ign.com/dark-souls/2/24/21.3.bmp

You can kick it down pretty early on in the level. It's only useful if you die before draining the water but after getting past the first inside area. Try it out, I'm interested to see if you game goes to 4FPS when climbing up that ladder like it does for me.

Idk, I still hate the ghosts. The darkwraiths are cool enemies and the boss fight is great. I do love that it can be tackled at any time and how it's tied to the darkwraith covenant. I also really enjoy invading/getting invaded at the beginning of Drained Londo. I definitely appreciate the level, but getting up to draining it is a bit of a chore every time for me. I also like to play melee with no shield and that play style doesn't make much sense when you're getting gangbanged by ghosts.

EDIT: Linked to the image, didn't realize it was so huge. Only one I could find.

This ladder:

You can kick it down pretty early on in the level. It's only useful if you die before draining the water but after getting past the first inside area. Try it out, I'm interested to see if you game goes to 4FPS when climbing up that ladder like it does for me.

Idk, I still hate the ghosts. The darkwraiths are cool enemies and the boss fight is great. I do love that it can be tackled at any time and how it's tied to the darkwraith covenant. I also really enjoy invading/getting invaded at the beginning of Drained Londo. I definitely appreciate the level, but getting up to draining it is a bit of a chore every time for me. I also like to play melee with no shield and that play style doesn't make much sense when you're getting gangbanged by ghosts.

EDIT: Linked to the image, didn't realize it was so huge. Only one I could find.
i would have to agree. the ghosts are badly designed imo. they get stuck in walls, stuck in floors, stuck in the ceiling, and depending on what weapon you use makes it extremely difficult to hit them. and when you do, their drops can get stuck in midair preventing you from looting them. i guess the point is that you're supposed to "lure them out" but that kinda makes it all meh.

and yes, that is also the laggiest spot for me. i really don't get blighttown is notorious for lag. #1 spot for me is that one, followed by darkroot gardens, and then blighttown.

Soulhouf

This ladder:

Oh shit. I kicked it once or twice and never understood its purpose. So that is supposed to be a shortcut huh? WTF. I have to go back there to see the frame rate drop you're talking about because I never noticed it.

As for the ghosts I always enjoy killing them all to the last one. It's also the only area that I alway do without a shield in the past because it's useless against the ghosts anyway.

Robot Pants

I love summoning witch Beatrice before the 4kings fight, and as soon as you traverse the white light she just sits there and tries to soul arrow a ghost stuck in the wall for hours on end. In order to get her to move I have to use transient curse and kill it with arrows, then wait til transient curse wears off so I can use other status effects on me for the actual boss. And of course once Beatrice is down in the abyss with me, she is completely useless.
Worst phantom ever. Makes moonlight butterfly super easy though.

So I have a Str/Faith build currently using a reinforced club +5. Idea is to get this guy to 50 str for the demon axe. Wondering if I should go occult or since I have about 40 str now and 18 faith I should just go to +10 so the strength still scales. Or is the occult worth it? First character this high, quit the game way back when because my account got shut down by the fools running Live, just put it back in the system last week and been hooked. I'm in Anor Londo and I know occult helps for a lot of those bosses, wouldn't mind knocking out new londo while it's divine too. Or is +10 gonna be the best with that much str?

Pretty sure I mentioned this before but oh well-
Running past the first few ghosts in New Londo and up the shortcut ladder that you can kick down causes the worst consistent slowdown in the game for me. Climbing up that ladder is a slideshow worse than blighttown and the bad framerate happens 100% of the time.
I've never understood what that is a shortcut to? Even though I always kick the ladder down on my way past - I think I went down there once, but usually just sniper one of the ghosts and run past the other.

Can't remember exactly how I handle New Londo now, but I have a lot less problems than before. I think basically before I go into the building just past the bridge with the kick ladder, I sniper the 2 or 3 ghosts that are lolling around near the water below, then go in the first corridor of the building, run left a bit and back out, which attracts another 2 or 3, then when you go in the room where they can surround you, there's only one IIRC, then just another and the screaming ghost to get to the ladder up to Ingward. It always feels like a relief though once the water is drained, I much prefer dealing with Darkwraiths than the ghosts!

So I have a Str/Faith build currently using a reinforced club +5. Idea is to get this guy to 50 str for the demon axe. Wondering if I should go occult or since I have about 40 str now and 18 faith I should just go to +10 so the strength still scales. Or is the occult worth it? First character this high, quit the game way back when because my account got shut down by the fools running Live, just put it back in the system last week and been hooked. I'm in Anor Londo and I know occult helps for a lot of those bosses, wouldn't mind knocking out new londo while it's divine too. Or is +10 gonna be the best with that much str?
imo, occult wouldn't be worth it with that low faith, especially if you can't farm white chunks yet. royal sentry's in anor londo drop titante chunks, which makes it easy to get your club to +14. although, i'm not sure why you'd stick with your reinforced club and not go for something with a bit more damage to take advantage of the scaler such as the greataxe, greatclub or the man-serpent greatsword?

in any case, you'll probably want a set of each in the end anyways. i don't know if spoilers so i won't list specific places, but some areas you'll find physical damage more useful, and others magic/holy damage.

Sullichin

I've never understood what that is a shortcut to? Even though I always kick the ladder down on my way past - I think I went down there once, but usually just sniper one of the ghosts and run past the other.

Can't remember exactly how I handle New Londo now, but I have a lot less problems than before. I think basically before I go into the building just past the bridge with the kick ladder, I sniper the 2 or 3 ghosts that are lolling around near the water below, then go in the first corridor of the building, run left a bit and back out, which attracts another 2 or 3, then when you go in the room where they can surround you, there's only one IIRC, then just another and the screaming ghost to get to the ladder up to Ingward. It always feels like a relief though once the water is drained, I much prefer dealing with Darkwraiths than the ghosts!

If you die after knocking down the ladder, but before draining new londo, that's when it becomes useful. Sliding down the ladder isn't the shortcut, but rather climbing it. After the first staircase (two ghosts will spawn on the top of the platform), if you head to the right you will be able to drop down to a ledge and then roll to the bottom of the ladder and climb up it, allowing you to skip a small part of the level.

i would have to agree. the ghosts are badly designed imo. they get stuck in walls, stuck in floors, stuck in the ceiling, and depending on what weapon you use makes it extremely difficult to hit them. and when you do, their drops can get stuck in midair preventing you from looting them. i guess the point is that you're supposed to "lure them out" but that kinda makes it all meh.

and yes, that is also the laggiest spot for me. i really don't get blighttown is notorious for lag. #1 spot for me is that one, followed by darkroot gardens, and then blighttown.

Yeah, that one spot in darkroot where the ladder is near the hydra. If you go there while a few tree people are chasing you the game will literally turn into a slideshow.

Also, I find the painting guardians/rafters section to be infinitely more frustrating than the archers. Anyone else agree? I see so much rage for the archers in this thread. They never give me a problem, but there's always the chance I'll fall off the fucking rafters because the swing animation on my weapon pushes me off the ledge or something. I often don't have a ranged option at my disposal so maybe thats why this section can be annoying to me sometimes.

i think i've only fallen once, on my first playthrough. a lot of those guys, if you stand right holding your shield up, will come running up to you, go to do a jumping attack and fall off themselves. at least half of them die that way for me.

Pakkidis

*enters thread and throws down gauntlet*

The game is beaten. Loved it with the exception of a few design flaws. for the last boss I just cast iron flesh and whacked away with my sword and kept healing until he was dead. A bit disappointed with it.

*enters thread and throws down gauntlet*

The game is beaten. Loved it with the exception of a few design flaws. for the last boss I just cast iron flesh and whacked away with my sword and kept healing until he was dead. A bit disappointed with it.

Yeah he was my biggest disappointment as well not just from a combat perspective but his overall design. Game had such cool bosses and he was pretty generic.

imo, occult wouldn't be worth it with that low faith, especially if you can't farm white chunks yet. royal sentry's in anor londo drop titante chunks, which makes it easy to get your club to +14. although, i'm not sure why you'd stick with your reinforced club and not go for something with a bit more damage to take advantage of the scaler such as the greataxe, greatclub or the man-serpent greatsword?

in any case, you'll probably want a set of each in the end anyways. i don't know if spoilers so i won't list specific places, but some areas you'll find physical damage more useful, and others magic/holy damage.

Haven't been to the blacksmith in ages. About to be at the giant blacksmith and was thinking of upgrading my greataxe. Have the Dragon King Greataxe too I plan on using once I get 50 str. I like a quick weapon and love the RT 1h attack on the club. Since I'm gonna be using a club and axe and should be using a magic and physical wouldn't the club be better for the magic dmg since it's faster? I'm open to suggestions, idc. First run through with this character, I'm gonna make enough mistakes.

Also, does enchanting shields means it deals dmg whenever it gets hit or just when you parry/ greatshield block? Or is it more of an absorption thing?

Epcott

I've criticized this game way too often. So I started playing this again, with a walkthrough guide for some assistance, against the urge not to.

I can't believe how much I missed in my first attempt to play it. I now see why it was insanely hard, you really need to look in not so obvious places to get items that really help. Once I acquired the drake sword and crimson attire, the gargoyle boss seemed like a piece of cake. I only really had problem with Havel until I got his pattern down.

Just defeated the Hydra, taking a break and will level grind before I take on Capra Demon. Really enjoying this game.

Just finished the game with my Lv 20 Melee/Pyro Darkwraith. On my first playthrough, I tried not to kill the boss too quickly with Crystal Soul Mass, but did anyway. This time I simply had to hide behind a pillar...

Anyway I'll have some NG+ this weekend, I hope to get a lot of invasions, as I am guilty as fuck from invading a lot in Sen's.

Vasili2K38

About New Londo ruins, I have a hate/love relationship.. I think its one of the most interesting and atmospheric areas of the game, with a very dark theme when you realized what happened there. But I really hate the ghosts, now I kill them without major problems, but in my first playtrough, going so blind, permantly cursed with half health, and being one-hit killed by those bastards who are to able to traverse and attack you behind walls and corners.. it really annoyed me -_-. But anyway I have to say that its kind of interesting hardcore enemy design ;).

If you die after knocking down the ladder, but before draining new londo, that's when it becomes useful. Sliding down the ladder isn't the shortcut, but rather climbing it. After the first staircase (two ghosts will spawn on the top of the platform), if you head to the right you will be able to drop down to a ledge and then roll to the bottom of the ladder and climb up it, allowing you to skip a small part of the level.
Never knew that, I haven't drained the water yet with my current character, so I think I'll try it out just to do it!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'll always have a soft spot for New Londo because I didn't really understand the whole ghost mechanic my first time through the game and got so frustrated with trying to clear the place out using just the Jagged Ghost Blade that I finally gave up entirely on killing them, took off all my equipment, and just ran full-tilt through the place in my underoos over and over until I finally managed to learn the layout and drain it. I like to think that eventually the ghosts became so disgusted with me that they just let me through.

"Oh my stars and garters, Agnes, that naked zombie just ran screaming through your living room again."

"Don't look at him. It only encourages him. Just go back to knitting and hopefully he'll go away once he's got what he came for."

"Oh. I see. Well then, lovely weather we're having, eh?"

"Quite."

And then I finally opened the gate and left my streaking days behind me.

Sullichin

Invading Sen's is a lot of fun.

Had the luckiest drop ever yesterday. Was making my way over to big hat logan in the archives. Somehow aggroed one of the channelers without engaging it. Didn't think anything of it. Bought my spells, turned around, and there's an item by the bottom of the ladder near the hidden book case lever. Channeler's Trident. It's an INT based character too so it was a welcome drop. Upgraded it and am using it instead of the moonlight butterfly horn. I seem to be doing pretty well with it as my secondary weapon but I think the butterfly horn has better range.
Helped a bunch of people kill Seath and I was surprised/happy to see a few players that seemed as if they were on their first playthrough. People with lightning spears and eagle shields cautiously making their way to Seath.
Speaking of Seath he cursed me just as I landed the killing blow on this playthrough, that was a first. Feels good to finally get the moonlight greatsword on this character, I wish there were more INT melee options in this game. You could make just about any weapon scale beautifully with magic in Demon's Souls :/

krakov

Invading Sen's is a lot of fun.

Had the luckiest drop ever yesterday. Was making my way over to big hat logan in the archives. Somehow aggroed one of the channelers without engaging it. Didn't think anything of it. Bought my spells, turned around, and there's an item by the bottom of the ladder near the hidden book case lever. Channeler's Trident. It's an INT based character too so it was a welcome drop. Upgraded it and am using it instead of the moonlight butterfly horn. I seem to be doing pretty well with it as my secondary weapon but I think the butterfly horn has better range.
Helped a bunch of people kill Seath and I was surprised/happy to see a few players that seemed as if they were on their first playthrough. People with lightning spears and eagle shields cautiously making their way to Seath.
Speaking of Seath he cursed me just as I landed the killing blow on this playthrough, that was a first. Feels good to finally get the moonlight greatsword on this character, I wish there were more INT melee options in this game. You could make just about any weapon scale beautifully with magic in Demon's Souls :/

You can always use Crystal Magic Weapon, makes any weapon a good one.

Anyone ever die but not get a bloodstain?

I was just summoned in Sen's, and when I returned my character fell off a ledge during the stand-up animation, when I went back to where I died, there was nothing. I ran through the whole of Sen's Fortress right up to the last swinging axes (which I was nowhere near, but had to check everywhere) and it was nowhere to be found. :/

Sullichin

You can always use Crystal Magic Weapon, makes any weapon a good one.

Yeah I know, I just wish enchanted/magic paths were as viable as crescent/moon paths in Demon's Souls.

Anyone ever die but not get a bloodstain?

I was just summoned in Sen's, and when I returned my character fell off a ledge during the stand-up animation, when I went back to where I died, there was nothing. I ran through the whole of Sen's Fortress right up to the last swinging axes (which I was nowhere near, but had to check everywhere) and it was nowhere to be found. :/

Happened to me once I believe. And one time I picked up my bloodstain after invading and it had like 2,00 souls and no humanity, when i definitely had a lot more of both. If I recall it was in Sen's and both me and the host died at the same time.

Why can't I upgrade my Greataxe to +7 at Astora? It's +6 and doesn't show up on the ascension list.
It only shows up on the ascension menu when taking it from +5 to +6. You need the large ember to do this. Once it's at +6 it should show up with the rest of the weapons in the normal upgrade menu.

It only shows up on the ascension menu when taking it from +5 to +6. You need the large ember to do this. Once it's at +6 it should show up with the rest of the weapons in the normal upgrade menu.

Ah, thanks.

Can somebody give me some insight on enchanting shields? What does it do once it becomes divine for a shield? Deals dmg on blocks?

Sullichin

Ah, thanks.

Can somebody give me some insight on enchanting shields? What does it do once it becomes divine for a shield? Deals dmg on blocks?

Not worth it. You will get slightly increased damage reduction for that stat (for example a lightning shield will get some extra lightning damage reduction), but the stability (guard break reduction; higher stability = less stamina consumed on block) of the shield will be reset to the default I believe. Stability is more important than a bit of elemental defense/damage. You will do the elemental damage if you attack with the shield, which will probably be useless unless you make a fire/lightning bonewheel shield - those can really tear up as a weapon. There's shields that are good at blocking certain types of attacks already, ie crest shield for magic, dragon crest or black knight shield for fire, etc. Taking a shield to +15 (normal) or +5 (for the ones that use twinkling) are the way to go as it just increases the stability. Some shields like havel's and greatshield of artorias, I believe, won't increase the stability so aren't worth upgrading.

Not worth it. You will get slightly increased damage reduction for that stat (for example a lightning shield will get some extra lightning damage reduction), but the stability (guard break reduction; higher stability = less stamina consumed on block) of the shield will be reset to the default I believe. Stability is more important than a bit of elemental defense/damage. You will do the elemental damage if you attack with the shield, which will probably be useless unless you make a fire/lightning bonewheel shield - those can really tear up as a weapon. There's shields that are good at blocking certain types of attacks already, ie crest shield for magic, dragon crest or black knight shield for fire, etc. Taking a shield to +15 (normal) or +5 (for the ones that use twinkling) are the way to go as it just increases the stability. Some shields like havel's and greatshield of artorias, I believe, won't increase the stability so aren't worth upgrading.

Thanks!

2AdEPT

I think the BB glitch wrecked my covenant abilities. I was able to do darkmoon on my last character because the original character didn't do it, but now that I recycled again it says I am at +2 automatically and is not droopping the darkmoon blade no matter how many reprisals I give.....I couldn't get the chaos covenant to open the door to izalith either...this is getting depressing...can anyone confirm if stuff like this has happened to them?

Sullichin

I think the BB glitch wrecked my covenant abilities. I was able to do darkmoon on my last character because the original character didn't do it, but now that I recycled again it says I am at +2 automatically and is not droopping the darkmoon blade no matter how many reprisals I give.....I couldn't get the chaos covenant to open the door to izalith either...this is getting depressing...can anyone confirm if stuff like this has happened to them?

I was similarly glitched out of the first sunlight covenant miracle in a BB glitched character. The game thought I had the miracle though because I got the all miracles trophy on that character. Not that that's helpful if you actually want to use the miracle. But yeah, the BB glitch can mess up covenant stuff. I stopped using it because of this actually.

Does anyone use crystal weapons that you make yourself? Never done it, but wondered if it's ever worth doing, or anyone makes a stack of them for use or something?

Since it places your bloodstain where you were about ten seconds earlier, maybe it couldn't place you correctly after "respawning".
That was probably it. I've had this kind of thing happen twice now - not the end of the world, put still a peeve at that moment.

That was probably it. I've had this kind of thing happen twice now - not the end of the world, put still a peeve at that moment.

I lost 700000 souls and 11 humanities on my LVL1 char when the bloodstain spawned on top of the spinning platform/elevator in middle of Anor Londo bridge. I saw the stain but there was no way to get there :/

Booooooo to when blue and red phantoms put aside their differences/don't know they can kill each other and team up to kill you! I am the lord of the Anor Londo colosseum, I want blood - be it red or blue!

maomaoIYP

Booooooo to when blue and red phantoms put aside their differences/don't know they can kill each other and team up to kill you! I am the lord of the Anor Londo colosseum, I want blood - be it red or blue!

Boooooo the when phantoms don't realize that the best way to take down the host and earn their reward item is to team up with other invaders.

Soulhouf

Does anyone use crystal weapons that you make yourself? Never done it, but wondered if it's ever worth doing, or anyone makes a stack of them for use or something?

Since I was farming a lot in New Londo I always end up with many chunks. So I use them to make crystal weapons like Demon Great Machete (you can buy it from Shiva). Crystal weapon +4 is always stronger that normal +15. It's something like normal +16 or 17 or so if that existed.
Crystal shields also have significantly more stability than normal ones.

Think of it as a disposable weapon. You will be able to use it a few times then throw it away when it become useless. That's why you must choose a weapon you can get easily.

Since I was farming a lot in New Londo I always end up with many chunks. So I use them to make crystal weapons like Demon Great Machete (you can buy it from Shiva). Crystal weapon +4 is always stronger that normal +15. It's something like normal +16 or 17 or so if that existed.
Crystal shields also have significantly more stability than normal ones.

Think of it as a disposable weapon. You will be able to use it a few times then throw it away when it become useless. That's why you must choose a weapon you can get easily.
Yes, I was thinking of buying a bunch of Uchi's or Washing Poles from Shiva, although they have low durability any way so perhaps not the best choice.

I was farming in Sen's with my latest character and I have quite a few Man-serpent swords and Flamberges - I like them both, I used MSS a lot with my last character, but don't have the STR yet on this one, the Flamberg is a nice alternative.

The Balder Side Sword combos FAST. I'm pretty sure someone was just using it against me and he comboed me to death in three seconds, tops. And I'm wearing the black iron set and have a ton of HP. I was using the Claymore 2H against him and I died before I could even stunlock him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom