• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I don't get why my Occult BSS +5 is still weaker than my Uchigatana +15 even when my dex is 40 and my faith is 50. Do I miss something?

I don't get why my Occult BSS +5 is still weaker than my Uchigatana +15 even when my dex is 40 and my faith is 50. Do I miss something?
the way damage calculation works in this game. one big number > two smaller numbers (in this case, physical + magic damage).

perhaps its also the monsters. i wish there was a bestiary or something, but at least from my personal experience, magic damage is the least useful type of damage overall.

krakov

Divine/Occult and Magic/Enchanted isn't all that good, as described many times earlier in this thread. It's pretty similar to Lightning, Fire and Chaos in that it splits the damage over two different kinds. The way to go with a faith or magic build is definitely a good scaling weapon at +15 with darkmoon/sunlight blade or crystal magic weapon.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Ok, thanks guys. I will use my Uchi with darkmoon/sunlight blade then. I just kinda regret going all the way to 50 faith now.

so i finally got around to trying out the great scythe and i'm loving it. sometimes i noticed that my character dodges while attacking, and i'm like why does it keep doing that. upon further experimentation, i come to the conclusion that the r2 attack has an automatic evade that will trigger if the enemy attacks. wtf that is awesome, and i couldn't really find any information on any wiki about it detailing this ability.

so my question is, what other weapons have hidden or just interesting unique abilities?

edit: i think it was just some wonky ass hitboxes from the man-eater shells i was farming at the time as i can't get it to work testing on a different enemy. funny i never had that happen to me using any other weapon while farming the shells and even when i reproduce the effect it looks exactly like a dodge.

Sullichin

so i finally got around to trying out the great scythe and i'm loving it. sometimes i noticed that my character dodges while attacking, and i'm like why does it keep doing that. upon further experimentation, i come to the conclusion that the r2 attack has an automatic evade that will trigger if the enemy attacks. wtf that is awesome, and i couldn't really find any information on any wiki about it detailing this ability.

so my question is, what other weapons have hidden or just interesting unique abilities?

edit: i think it was just some wonky ass hitboxes from the man-eater shells i was farming at the time as i can't get it to work testing on a different enemy. funny i never had that happen to me using any other weapon while farming the shells and even when i reproduce the effect it looks exactly like a dodge.

Yeah I've never noticed or heard anything about that. It's still a great weapon though.

Some unique weapon abilities I didn't know about at first...

- Stone great sword 2H R2 is tranquil walk of peace
- As an invader, you can buff the enemies in the host's world with the channeler's trident
- Havel's great shield L2 is a temporary defense buff. I haven't used it though
- The butcher knife gives you 5HP per hit just like the meat cleaver from Demon's Souls
- Apparently, the silver knight spear can kill skeletons in the catacombs when the necromancer is still alive (same effect as divine weapon)

Mxrz

Ok, thanks guys. I will use my Uchi with darkmoon/sunlight blade then. I just kinda regret going all the way to 50 faith now.

Well, with that high faith, don't forget about the offensive miracles. At least not in PvE. Those lightning bolts were the first thing I missed on other characters.

krakov

It's still worth it in my opinion, you get a much bigger boost from the buff spells with 50 faith rather than 30. Just be sure to use a talisman that takes advantage of it.

Besides looking awesome what do you get out of using the dragon torso stone?

You get a really powerful normal melee attack and a Force-like AEO blast with infinite use that will buff your attack rating for a few secconds. Also, no defense at all.

Divine/Occult and Magic/Enchanted isn't all that good, as described many times earlier in this thread. It's pretty similar to Lightning, Fire and Chaos in that it splits the damage over two different kinds. The way to go with a faith or magic build is definitely a good scaling weapon at +15 with darkmoon/sunlight blade or crystal magic weapon.
This was one thing I found disappointing in that no other upgrade seems as good as lightning.

I really should use crystal magic weapon, but I can't get out of the habit of putting bow in left hand and staff in right, so I can never use it - every time I switch them I mess something up and go back to how it was before.

2AdEPT

Yeah I've never noticed or heard anything about that. It's still a great weapon though.

Some unique weapon abilities I didn't know about at first...

- Stone great sword 2H R2 is tranquil walk of peace
- As an invader, you can buff the enemies in the host's world with the channeler's trident
- Havel's great shield L2 is a temporary defense buff. I haven't used it though
- The butcher knife gives you 5HP per hit just like the meat cleaver from Demon's Souls
- Apparently, the silver knight spear can kill ghosts in the catacombs permanently

It's still worth it in my opinion, you get a much bigger boost from the buff spells with 50 faith rather than 30. Just be sure to use a talisman that takes advantage of it.

You get a really powerful normal melee attack and a Force-like AEO blast with infinite use that will buff your attack rating for a few secconds. Also, no defense at all.
This is good stuff...missed the havels and butcher.
I was foolin around with monster STR weapons and noticed extra defense icon with great dragon axe... Also its R2 is a small AOE thaat hits close by mobs to where the axe hits the floor ...this is a buffable weappon. This seems like it could be the highest damage n the game...is it?

@ krakov - I use the canvas a lot as it has the best magic mod at low faith...which one is best for high faith?

MechaX

Okay, how do I go about un-gravelording my Undead Burg? It has been about a week since this started (either I got perma-gravelorded in this area somehow or the gravelord servant just never logge out), and it is really irritating to have to deal with that black phantom black knight who just loves to block the elevator to firelink. I have been trying to find the sign, but this has been a pretty taxing endeavor when considering that this seemed to have affected the entire Burg.

Edit: Well shit. Five minutes after this post and when I was setting out to look for the sign, someone defeated the servant and cured my Burg.

Robot Pants

No I actually meant skeletons in catacombs, not ghosts. Going to edit my post. I meant it has the same effect as divine weapons on the skeletons in the catacombs - you can kill them even if the necromancer is still alive.

ah damn. I rather have had a permanent way to kill ghosts :(

Sullichin

Okay, how do I go about un-gravelording my Undead Burg? It has been about a week since this started (either I got perma-gravelorded in this area somehow or the gravelord servant just never logge out), and it is really irritating to have to deal with that black phantom black knight who just loves to block the elevator to firelink. I have been trying to find the sign, but this has been a pretty taxing endeavor when considering that this seemed to have affected the entire Burg.

Edit: Well shit. Five minutes after this post and when I was setting out to look for the sign, someone defeated the servant and cured my Burg.

Where does this phantom black knight spawn exactly? can't think of an elevator to firelink in the burg. i've only been gravelorded in the upper burg and have only noticed BP dreglings.

Speaking of gravelording I was getting tons of BP channelers in Duke's Archives last night. That was awesome.
ah damn. I rather have had a permanent way to kill ghosts :(
yeah me too :p

Robot Pants

Where does this phantom black knight spawn exactly? can't think of an elevator to firelink in the burg. i've only been gravelorded in the upper burg and have only noticed BP dreglings.

He spawns, literally, right in front of the elevator to the Firelink. Right after the alter where you find the non-BP Tower Knight and receive the first FireKeeper's soul. Before taking a right and going up the stairs towards the roof, he stands infront of the caged-off elevator. Best I can do to explain. It's technically the Undead Parish.
It's kinda awesome not knowing your world is invaded, and you take the elevator from Firelink to find a giant Tower Knight waiting for you as soon as the gate opens.

Kyuur

So I just started playing this a week or so ago. Really loving it so far, and the cool online stuff (marks being left everywhere). It kind of disappoints me that I can't see that stuff when I'm in a party talking to people, but ah well. I was curious about co-op play with a friend though, I've heard bad things about getting connected to eachother. How hard is it? Can we pretty much co-op the entire game together after we get the summoning-sign thing (assuming we stay close to the same level). And lastly, can we private chat while playing or will we need to use skype?

Thanks guys. :)

2AdEPT

So I just started playing this a week or so ago. Really loving it so far, and the cool online stuff (marks being left everywhere). It kind of disappoints me that I can't see that stuff when I'm in a party talking to people, but ah well. I was curious about co-op play with a friend though, I've heard bad things about getting connected to eachother. How hard is it? Can we pretty much co-op the entire game together after we get the summoning-sign thing (assuming we stay close to the same level). And lastly, can we private chat while playing or will we need to use skype?

You should be able to hook up often, but I would not bank on doing everything together...for starters some areas are off limits to pvp. Also, there is never a guarantee you will always be on the same servver...lots of trial and error. When there is a tonne of action others can see your signs and nab you...etiquette for me is that I don't ditch summons and my partner has to wait.Most often I play with people I don't know..new strategies and outfits make it interesting to see more players than just your same friend, but there have been lots of times I wished friends was easier. Skype would be better thaan doing what I do just using the psn system but psn works if you are accustomed to it.I assume xbox has similar but sure.

Kyuur

You should be able to hook up often, but I would not bank on doing everything together...for starters some areas are off limits to pvp. Also, there is never a guarantee you will always be on the same servver...lots of trial and error. When there is a tonne of action others can see your signs and nab you...etiquette for me is that I don't ditch summons and my partner has to wait.Most often I play with people I don't know..new strategies and outfits make it interesting to see more players than just your same friend, but there have been lots of times I wished friends was easier. Skype would be better thaan doing what I do just using the psn system but psn works if you are accustomed to it.I assume xbox has similar but sure.

Alright, thanks. As long as it isn't impossible it should be fine I think, haha. What areas are off limits to PVP, will there be some sort of indicator?

Also, I just got to the Bell Gargoyle. It's pretty easy to get him down to half but that second Gargoyle screws me up quite badly. Any recommendations? I'm SL19, Cleric with an axe and +1 Estus.

Go human and wait for coop partners (usually outside the cathedral towards the path to Andre, where there are three undead), or release Lautrec, go down to talk to him in Firelink and then summon him and Solaire near the boss door.

zewone

I played through the game twice with my friend. There's only two places you can't co op. Undead Asylum and Undead Parish. You should have no problem playing with your friend as long as you're 10 levels plus 10% apart. There are a few spots you have to do certain events before you can co op ( New Londo, ToG, & Demon Ruins). You an use private chat to speak while playing and have no problems (360 only).

What? You can coop in Undead Parish, it's just very likely that some asshat will invade and ruin your day unless you're quick about it.

Undead Asylum and Darkroot Basin are the only places I know that you can't coop.

krakov

You can co-op in darkroot basin as well, though the butterfly is the only real boss in the area. Great Hollow and Ash Lake isn't open for PvP/co-op as far as I know though.

Kyuur

Thanks for all the info on co-op everyone!

So I tried a couple things to defeat the Bell Gargoyle. First I used my Lightning-enchant items to do more damage, which sort of worked but I still couldn't manage to kill the first one fast enough. After that I summoned Solaire, defeating the first gargoyle but getting locked in some fire and dying. No longer having any humanity to resummon, I decided to take one more go at it. I decided to 2H my weapon and it helped immensely. Managed to take the first gargoyle down as the second was arriving!

Immensely satisfying after all that trouble, haha. Fought the capra demon to, was much easier. Beat him on first try. This game is da bomb. :)

on the topic of co-op, i'm trying to get into the warrior of sunlight covenant for the miracles. what's the best place for a sl59 to achieve this?

I think I got lots of action on that level in The Depth, plus it's pretty easy to just run to Gaping Dragon in there so you'll be in covenant in no time.

on the topic of co-op, i'm trying to get into the warrior of sunlight covenant for the miracles. what's the best place for a sl59 to achieve this?

You don't need to do anything special to get into the Sunbro Cov, but your faith has to be high enough. Or are you talking about farming Sunlight medals? Anor Londo is probably the best place to farm those.

Anor Londo. Put your sign down right in the beginning of the level or the bonfire near all the silver knights. Co-op in Anor Londo is jolly good fun.

zewone

What? You can coop in Undead Parish, it's just very likely that some asshat will invade and ruin your day unless you're quick about it.

Undead Asylum and Darkroot Basin are the only places I know that you can't coop.
I confused he parish with undead burg. And the basin you can co op as long as you do it before moonlight butterfly is dead.

Sullichin

currently having a ton of fun doing co-op and invasions with my sorcerer character. 6x Crystal Magic Weapon + Lingering Dragoncrest ring + Balder Side Sword (currently only at +10) -- good to go.

The problem is this is a character that I made a while ago and the stats aren't perfectly in tune to what I decided to do with this character. I'm barely getting any scaling damage from the BSS because my DEX is only 16. Still do a ton of damage with CMW though because my INT is 50. But, I'm at level 103 and I would want to add some dexterity and bump my attunement from 16 to 19 so I can get another spell slot. I'm getting constant summons/invading in a ton of different areas so I'm weary to level up.. I know I will still be able to co-op certain bosses at level 120-130 or so, but I hope with the same frequency. Thinking about going a bit higher than 130, I have heard online that there is still plenty of action at high levels. But I have never brought a character past 125 or so.

I confused he parish with undead burg. And the basin you can co op as long as you do it before moonlight butterfly is dead.

You can co-op the burg, upper for Taurus and lower for Capra.

Well my first attempt went terrible. I thought Quelaag was really weak to magic, so I grabbed some stuff from the blacksmith in New Londo, beat it down to Blighttown, only to find out my soul arrow was doing a pathetic 19 damage. Gonna have to re-access things. Probably back track through Undead burg and grab the halberd and gold pine resin. I wonder if it would still be worth it hit free the magic dude in lower undead to grab his spells?

Grinchy

Banned
Well my first attempt went terrible. I thought Quelaag was really weak to magic, so I grabbed some stuff from the blacksmith in New Londo, beat it down to Blighttown, only to find out my soul arrow was doing a pathetic 19 damage. Gonna have to re-access things. Probably back track through Undead burg and grab the halberd and gold pine resin. I wonder if it would still be worth it hit free the magic dude in lower undead to grab his spells?

That's weird because I solo'd quelaag with my sorcerer yesterday, and I was doing some good magic damage to it. Though, I did summon Mildred and I was using the heavier soul arrow spell. I guess that could be it.

Mxrz

Thinking about going a bit higher than 130, I have heard online that there is still plenty of action at high levels. But I have never brought a character past 125 or so..

On a sl145, I've mostly seen summoning signs at S&O, Seath, and the Kiln. Been invaded lots in undead Burg too. Outside of that, I'm not sure there is much.

I've been using the Dragon King Greataxe lately on a new 40 STR character. Its slow but it seems like every hit will knock people down? Not sure yet. I was invaded non-stop from Sen's up til S&O this morning. It was fun just beating people down with it. The R2 does surprisingly good damage. - I tried the Dragon Greatsword, but meh. Can't use resin on it like with the axe.

Currently 45 Vit, 40 Endurance, 40 Strength at Sl90'ish. I'm considering taking Dex to 18 for BKGA, but might save that for a Quality/BK character. Its either that or take 15 INT for GMW. - * Checked - BKGA only gets like +7 AR from 40 dex.

Sullichin

I don't think I've seen a speed run that relies on sorcery. In this one, he gets the black knight halberd asap. He kills quelagg pretty instantly with that and the red tearstone ring (fight starts at 15:45).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRDObGd7a7U

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
How hard is it to get the canvas bag? Only the Butchers drop it right?

Really, really easy. It was a pain in the ass pre-patch, but with the patch one of the butchers at the start of the Depths drops it 100% of the time.

I don't think I've seen a speed run that relies on sorcery. In this one, he gets the black knight halberd asap. He kills quelagg pretty instantly with that and the red tearstone ring (fight starts at 15:45).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRDObGd7a7U

I know one of the earliest speed runs used a Sorcerer. It was only the second or third major speed run, and supplanted the then-record set by a Pyromancer.

I lost interest in Dark Souls speed runs once it started seeming like everyone was using the glitch to cut practically half the game out, so I don't know how popular Sorcery is in these modern times of ours.

Sullichin

Really, really easy. It was a pain in the ass pre-patch, but with the patch one of the butchers at the start of the Depths drops it 100% of the time.

I know one of the earliest speed runs used a Sorcerer. It was only the second or third major speed run, and supplanted the then-record set by a Pyromancer.

I lost interest in Dark Souls speed runs once it started seeming like everyone was using the glitch to cut practically half the game out, so I don't know how popular Sorcery is in these modern times of ours.

The one I posted doesn't use the glitch. He does skip the first seath encounter which allows you to skip the small jail section in dukes (about 57:25 into the video, he messes it up and has to reload). The bed of chaos fight is the most impressive I've seen in a speed run, he beats it without reloading/ranged attacks and does it pretty quickly. He also kills ingward with the dragonslayer great bow to skip a ton of ghosts in new londo, I'm going to start doing that.

Kyuur

So the last boss I've beaten was the Gaping Dragon in the depths. Entered Blighttown and have now found myself in the Anor Londo ruins? Maybe I missed something but I got to the bonfire and climbed the water-wheel structure, going to the drake valley or whatever... Thought I was supposed to find the bell in Blighttown. Did I go the wrong way or do I keep going the way I'm going? Ghosts hurt, and I screwed up on one run and as a result have no more curses left. :/

Go back down the waterwheel (it's much easier than the other route), you're supposed to keep walking through that swamp to get to the spidery-looking structure. It's past the water wheel, coming from the bonfire.

I'm pretty sure you can buy transient curse from the female undead vendor in the aqueduct. Otherwise you can rush in and explore around the wall to the right past the first two ghosts, there should be an urn there with a few inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom