• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

I think I'm having even more fun on my second playthrough. I'm cruising right along with a sorcerer this time, and it's really nice to have some magic with range on it (as opposed to pyro). Less wasting items and souls now that I have a rough idea what things do also.

Sorcering is hard if you dont know how to get your magic ammo, but when you do, its like a new world for ranged players

strafer

So I've been playing this on 360, borrowed a copy from a friend, loving it but I wanna try it out on PC, but I've heard comments on how bad the port is, how bad are we talking?

the DS2 PC port runs great.

MUnited83

For you.
So I've been playing this on 360, borrowed a copy from a friend, loving it but I wanna try it out on PC, but I've heard comments on how bad the port is, how bad are we talking?

It's locked at 720p30fps, which can be fixed with DSFix. It's also quite CPU-bound and depending on your system it may run worse than DS2.

Got to the boss of Anor Londo. Haven't killed them yet, pretty tough. Don't have any humanity, so have been putting my stone down. First time summons I died, (2nd one was so close argh).

Also the spear silver knights are rather rather hard to parry.

You have to put the DSfix obligatory if you want to play it with better textures,lightning and 60fps, pretty bad port without it as far as I heard.

Got to the boss of Anor Londo. Haven't killed them yet, pretty tough. Don't have any humanity, so have been putting my stone down. First time summons I died, (2nd one was so close argh).

Try to focus on the small dude while dont being in the crossfire with the big dude

2AdEPT

PC with DSfix is awesome, obviously the best way to expereience DS1. Just be sure to follow the directions on durante's page and read the README file.

The real Dark Souls starts here.

Seriously though, this can be a break point for those who start out not wanting to summon. If you do not care about soloing them at this point, summoning Solaire (at the top of the stairs closest to the ginat blacksmith) is a better compromise, he isnt overly OP and although he will make the fight much easier by distacting one of the bosses, at least you will still get to do a majority of the damage yourself.

If you refuse to summon and want to solo this boss, in adddition to the comments above, you may want to do the following:

Upgrade weapons further and use appropriate buffs. Now that you have access to the blacksmith there you can upgrade lightning weapons...ironically they will help only with Smough, ORnstein is resilient to lightning so use fire or magic buffs on him. NOrmal weapons at +15 buffed will make this fight a lot more manageable. If you dont know how to upgrade to +15 all I will say is you had access to find the ember pretty close to the start of the game but likely shied away from the area in which the ember required sits. Its a long way back but not as far as you think if you opened all the shortcuts...takes 2-3 minutes to speed run it. You can stock up on charcoal poine resin and humanity from the depths as well. +10 is more than enough though, as of course many have done this at SL1, without any upgrades etc. Of course they would have used the red tearstone ring and and power within pyro...both options for you as well to maximize your damage (but will greatly nerf your defense.) I wouldnt really recommmend this unless you are at the point where you dont get hit often; still power within by itself might be ok if you have a long health bar.

Use lock on sparingly..you want to lock on when you are retreating, keeping both of them in your sights, particulalry ORn as he will teleport accross the area pretty quick and spank you if you arent watchihg out for him. But when attacking there are times where a quick hit and getaway is best performed without any lock on. Other times lock on helps, but this is usually when you get down to the last one.

Use pilars as temporary safe zones to heal by placing them in between you and the enemy. Stubs still work, and you can see overtop of them.

Find a balance between gettin greedy with yolo, and turtling and doing nothing. You want to err on the side of caution, but if you have to heal a lot with out getting any hits in yourself, you have to learn your spots to attack and take more chances. As it is with all souls games the recovery animation after the enemy strikes is when to punish them.

Have fun! I suggest trying to solo and sticking it out...you will feel a sense of accomplishment like very few others in gaming. THey seem really cheap, but even more reason to tough it out and punish their asses!

Been playing through this again after I got bored my first time and then my save got corrupted.

Game is still super fun. Dat atmosphere.

Oh and those Anor Londo archers can suck my dick. Just got to that point again after I forgot about it. and then hours of frustration came rushing back to me.

2AdEPT

Been playing through this again after I got bored my first time and then my save got corrupted.

Game is still super fun. Dat atmosphere.

Oh and those Anor Londo archers can suck my dick. Just got to that point again after I forgot about it. and then hours of frustration came rushing back to me.

LOL, that is definitely one area where I came back to get revenge on those archers...not with poison arrows, but with my own Greatbow...much more satisfying to knock THEM of the ledge for fun! ;)

Did the latest patch break vsync? I've tried changing it in ATI CCC and the DSfix INI, but I can't get rid of the screen tearing. It's like I'm playing a good Dragons Dogma or something.

Hey guys, I'm about to embark on a pretty ambitious pre Bloodborne dark souls marathon of sorts. Thing is, after each character finishes the game, I want to keep them, and you're limited to 10 slots. Is there a way to preserve more than that without losing them? I'm on pc/steam. I tried to find them as individual files, but didn't see anything.

2AdEPT

Hey guys, I'm about to embark on a pretty ambitious pre Bloodborne dark souls marathon of sorts. Thing is, after each character finishes the game, I want to keep them, and you're limited to 10 slots. Is there a way to preserve more than that without losing them? I'm on pc/steam. I tried to find them as individual files, but didn't see anything.

YOu could concievably store hundreds of differnent characters using gamesave manager...this program is easy to use and has bailed me out more times than I can count...real convenient for trying to get drops etc.as well. Basically you could just save your progress with the characters you have, then erase one or two, resave, etc. If you ever reverted, you would have to save your progress before reverting or you would lose your new progress, but it would enable you to ensure you would not lose older characters and be able to dust them off from time to time....it always works, has never bugged out on me, although owing to my own stupidity I ahve clicjed the erong thig and lost progress, but that was entirely my own fault and nothing to do with the program.

I'll just keep posting this every time someone mentions Anor Londo Archers.

So fun.
Hahha, yeah, I watched your twitch version before and subbed your YT channel. NOt sure everyone out there would be able to dodge those arrows as successfully as you did there, but definitely would be fun to try. I have had increasingly better luck over time jsut YOLOing those bastards.
According to the dsfix.ini the Vsync isn't working yet.
One of the few problems I have had over the years with Dsfix is indeed the tearing, although it appears you are on raedon, what appeared to fix itwas turning ON tripple buffering of vsynch in the NVIDIA advanced settings while turning OFF the dsfix vsynch (I think, its been a while). You will have a similar program I assume for AMD.

The real Dark Souls starts here.

Seriously though, this can be a break point for those who start out not wanting to summon. If you do not care about soloing them at this point, summoning Solaire (at the top of the stairs closest to the ginat blacksmith) is a better compromise, he isnt overly OP and although he will make the fight much easier by distacting one of the bosses, at least you will still get to do a majority of the damage yourself.

If you refuse to summon and want to solo this boss, in adddition to the comments above, you may want to do the following:

Upgrade weapons further and use appropriate buffs. Now that you have access to the blacksmith there you can upgrade lightning weapons...ironically they will help only with Smough, ORnstein is resilient to lightning so use fire or magic buffs on him. NOrmal weapons at +15 buffed will make this fight a lot more manageable. If you dont know how to upgrade to +15 all I will say is you had access to find the ember pretty close to the start of the game but likely shied away from the area in which the ember required sits. Its a long way back but not as far as you think if you opened all the shortcuts...takes 2-3 minutes to speed run it. You can stock up on charcoal poine resin and humanity from the depths as well. +10 is more than enough though, as of course many have done this at SL1, without any upgrades etc. Of course they would have used the red tearstone ring and and power within pyro...both options for you as well to maximize your damage (but will greatly nerf your defense.) I wouldnt really recommmend this unless you are at the point where you dont get hit often; still power within by itself might be ok if you have a long health bar.

Use lock on sparingly..you want to lock on when you are retreating, keeping both of them in your sights, particulalry ORn as he will teleport accross the area pretty quick and spank you if you arent watchihg out for him. But when attacking there are times where a quick hit and getaway is best performed without any lock on. Other times lock on helps, but this is usually when you get down to the last one.

Use pilars as temporary safe zones to heal by placing them in between you and the enemy. Stubs still work, and you can see overtop of them.

Find a balance between gettin greedy with yolo, and turtling and doing nothing. You want to err on the side of caution, but if you have to heal a lot with out getting any hits in yourself, you have to learn your spots to attack and take more chances. As it is with all souls games the recovery animation after the enemy strikes is when to punish them.

Have fun! I suggest trying to solo and sticking it out...you will feel a sense of accomplishment like very few others in gaming. THey seem really cheap, but even more reason to tough it out and punish their asses!

Thanks for the tips. Got tired of trying, so went and farmed 21 humanity from depth rats. Came back, summoned Solaire + a random magic using fella. Killed them in one. Rewarded with boobs. Then killed knight whatshisname and brought the firelink keeper back to life. Onward!

2AdEPT

Thanks for the tips. Got tired of trying, so went and farmed 21 humanity from depth rats. Came back, summoned Solaire + a random magic using fella. Killed them in one. Rewarded with boobs. Then killed knight whatshisname and brought the firelink keeper back to life. Onward!

No worries man, you can always come back in another playthrough.

Ummm. I used Solaire my first playthrough as well ;)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'm going through this again to hype myself for Bloodborne, and man this game is pretty easy to blast through when you know the layout like the back of your hand. I got from the beginning through O/S in one sitting. Still so good, but I noticed a real lack of messages or white soap signs.

Booshka

Happy New Year.

gonna pimp out some Twitch gameplay I have been producing. Pure Black playhthrough, NG+7, Perma Gravelord, Aggression Mod.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

I haven't finished the playthrough yet, almost done.

Here is a Pure Black 4 min Highlight as well.

Pure Black Anor Londo Archers

Finally finished Part 4, kept it within 90 minutes. So 4, 90 minute chunks for All Bosses. 6 Hours ain't bad. Next run is gonna be Pure Black Meowcenaries, not sure if that is possible, but I can try!

Part 4

2AdEPT

Finally finished Part 4, kept it within 90 minutes. So 4, 90 minute chunks for All Bosses. 6 Hours ain't bad. Next run is gonna be Pure Black Meowcenaries, not sure if that is possible, but I can try!

Part 4

Good stuff, I like the commentary/chat version of your videos best, nice to hear you reactions and anecdotal thoughts etc. Manus went down! Does summoning SIF increase Manus' health or nerf your damage at all?he's nice for moral support and nostalgia but he sure didnt appear to help to much!!! LOL

Booshka

Good stuff, I like the commentary/chat version of your videos best, nice to hear you reactions and anecdotal thoughts etc.

Thanks, yea, I'll do commentary only for my PvP challenge run when I stream. Chat is pretty dead early on, so I just put on music, then people trickle into the stream and chat here and there and I can have a decent back and forth.

Gotta work on just chatting and commentating a bit more even if no one is in chat, especially since a lot of this stuff is decent for watching later.

2AdEPT

Thanks, yea, I'll do commentary only for my PvP challenge run when I stream. Chat is pretty dead early on, so I just put on music, then people trickle into the stream and chat here and there and I can have a decent back and forth.

Gotta work on just chatting and commentating a bit more even if no one is in chat, especially since a lot of this stuff is decent for watching later.

I notice you were using OBS? I have not been able to get a PIP going and although I havent tried too hard, I havent got it to work for me or even tried streaming yet, just Youtube vids with a PCI card to record. Do you recommend sticking with OBS even though I am a noob braodcaster and might find it unwieldy?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Was working on a dex/int run in dark souls before Majora's Mask and MH4 pulled me away. At the time, I was at Gaping Dragon and using an Uchigatana+10, but have been considering switching to a channeler's trident (yes I have one)

Thoughts?

Painted World spoilers below I guess

So disappointed! I was just driving forward with the main path and figured I'd backtrack and find all the stuff I missed before leaving, but THAT sure backfired on me. I end up in the boss area and notice an option to talk, and figuring that if I do that it will end the optional area, I walked past her to explore. Next thing I know, I'm jumping off a ledge and it ends. I must have missed so many items and little areas. :(

I had to hit up youtube to even see what the boss says. I know the game is older now, but please game devs, at least have a button prompt so I know walking a certain way will make my character BASE jump (without a parachute).

Arjen

So disappointed! I was just driving forward with the main path and figured I'd backtrack and find all the stuff I missed before leaving, but THAT sure backfired on me. I end up in the boss area and notice an option to talk, and figuring that if I do that it will end the optional area, I walked past her to explore. Next thing I know, I'm jumping off a ledge and it ends. I must have missed so many items and little areas. :(

I had to hit up youtube to even see what the boss says. I know the game is older now, but please game devs, at least have a button prompt so I know walking a certain way will make my character BASE jump (without a parachute).

But, you can just go back?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Just jump back in the painting? Walk up to it and press A (or warp to its bonfire from any other)

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind.

2AdEPT

Just jump back in the painting? Walk up to it and press A (or warp to its bonfire from any other)

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind.

Boooo on Priscilla's BS. The first time I walked into her peaceful domain I was promptly welcomed by hollows, ok they could be visting too so where's the real inhabitants? Oh ok there's the real welcoming committee on the high ground, on top of the first tower. Nope, pecked in the face and had my eyes gouged put by these large crow like humanoid creatures, and then when I went to seek refuge below, got the rest of my face and body slashed to bits by some super charged skeletons on razor wheels.....not to mention Priscilla herself, who carries a weapon that will drain you blood faster than any weapon inthe game.

Peaceful? Puhthooey!!!!

zashga

I've been trying to get back into this game with a friend, but we're having a lot of connection trouble on PC. I had expected things to be better now that GFWL is gone, but a lot of the time I just don't see any activity online. No signs, no messages, no ghosts... nothing. Is that common now?

Guess I'll look around to see if there are any recent connectivity guides. Most the info on the Steam forum seems to date back to the GFWL days.

2AdEPT

I've been trying to get back into this game with a friend, but we're having a lot of connection trouble on PC. I had expected things to be better now that GFWL is gone, but a lot of the time I just don't see any activity online. No signs, no messages, no ghosts... nothing. Is that common now?

Guess I'll look around to see if there are any recent connectivity guides. Most the info on the Steam forum seems to date back to the GFWL days.

the DSCFIX worked pretty good back in the day....would it still work despite the switch to steam?

Kaleinc

Banned
I had expected things to be better now that GFWL is gone, but a lot of the time I just don't see any activity online. No signs, no messages, no ghosts... nothing. Is that common now?
For me it takes 30 minutes to 1 hour till invasions and stuff start working then it works ok. If I lose connection same thing happens, time for a long wait. I just stopped playing.

Sanctuary

On a comparatively "medium" gaming rig circa mid 2013 they should run about the same. DSfix also helps the game look better, but it's still not going to blow you away in the graphics department (inc 12k screenshots that you need to be sitting one foot away from to see all of the detail that no one plays at anyway). None of the Souls games have "great graphics" (or at least not even close to consistently great), but it doesn't matter since they still have the best atmosphere. The biggest improvement with DSfix isn't the internal resolution but the framerate uncapper. You need to turn it back to the default 30fps when doing specific jumps or sliding down ladders, but you can make a hotkey toggle for it, and it's a pretty rare event.

I disagree completely - changing the rendering from 720p is a pretty gigantic step up in visual quality, especially if you are playing at resolutions greater than 1080p. The AA and AF stuff is really great too, but not as hugely noticeable.

Is it just me, or are miracles lackluster in pve/offline? I read that it takes about 25 in faith to gain a lightning bolt spell, but I'm not seeing much else useful (other than the basic heal) until then? Are there some good ones I should look out for earlier on?

Is it just me, or are miracles lackluster in pve/offline? I read that it takes about 25 in faith to gain a lightning bolt spell, but I'm not seeing much else useful (other than the basic heal) until then? Are there some good ones I should look out for earlier on?
A lot of miracles are utility rather than offensive, so it's about playing with them differently.

Besides lighting spears, wrath of the gods is the other offensive spell that packs a punch and is worth getting asap (can be got very early - at the start of the game even - if you're brave enough) - look up how to buy them from Rhea if you want to get it, think it needs 28 FTH iirc. Emit Force can be obtained about halfway through the game, another long range offensive spell. And the weapon buffs are a favourite of most pvp'ers.

Karmic Justice can be fun but difficult to pull off effectively, Tranquil Walk of Peace is more of a pvp thing. Like the utility magic spells you can make your own fun or uses with the other non-offensive miracles, try different things out everything has it's use. :)

A lot of miracles are utility rather than offensive, so it's about playing with them differently.

Besides lighting spears, wrath of the gods is the other offensive spell that packs a punch and is worth getting asap (can be got very early - at the start of the game even - if you're brave enough) - look up how to buy them from Rhea if you want to get it, think it needs 28 FTH iirc. Emit Force can be obtained about halfway through the game, another long range offensive spell. And the weapon buffs are a favourite of most pvp'ers.

Karmic Justice can be fun but difficult to pull off effectively, Tranquil Walk of Peace is more of a pvp thing. Like the utility magic spells you can make your own fun or uses with the other non-offensive miracles, try different things out everything has it's use. :)

See, utility over offense is what I was looking for this time, but lightning spear is one I know of because I looked up info on what the covenants had to offer (not much for offline). I'm at the end of the game (only need to finish DLC) with my sorcerer, and it made the game a joke. The ease of blasting even bosses to hell with range kinda takes the fun out of things IMO.

I actually went down and killed Pinwheel (went to catacombs early for a sexy Fire Reinforced Club +5), so I should have rescued her. Guess I'll make a return trip before blighttown. Only hard part now is leveling faith. I got lucky getting the black knight halberd, but that needs 18 Dex, so I'm not sure what I want to prioritize.

Thanks for the info.

2AdEPT

See, utility over offense is what I was looking for this time, but lightning spear is one I know of because I looked up info on what the covenants had to offer (not much for offline). I'm at the end of the game (only need to finish DLC) with my sorcerer, and it made the game a joke. The ease of blasting even bosses to hell with range kinda takes the fun out of things IMO.

I actually went down and killed Pinwheel (went to catacombs early for a sexy Fire Reinforced Club +5), so I should have rescued her. Guess I'll make a return trip before blighttown. Only hard part now is leveling faith. I got lucky getting the black knight halberd, but that needs 18 Dex, so I'm not sure what I want to prioritize.

Thanks for the info.

The strongest lightning spears are the sunlight spears, but you only gettwo casts and you need gwynn's soul to get them They are overkill and not worth it...but obviously you are ranking up in the sunbro covenant right? The great spears are much more deadly than the first type. In addition to what R.Lic. said above, the buffs you get from faith are the best in the game. You can get either the sunlight one, which is yellow lightning, or the darkmoon which is a magic variety. It will depend on what you want to do about gwyndolin which one you get...you can get Darkmoon first but it is hard to upgrade in the covenant, sunlight is easier to get but you have to forego the covenant. I think Darkmoon is slightly more powerful, despite it not being lightning which enemies tend to be weaker on average. I recall hitting the hellkite dragon twice in the face, one upswing with washing pole +15 two handed with darkmoon, and one down, and she was dead.....felt damn powerful and basically made a "skywalker" build out of that character using Logan's robes, a plain hood (dingy or tattered maybe),emit force, lightning spears and darkmoon with washing pole....not an op character, as darkmoon wears off fast without ligering ring etc. but likley one of the most fun I have played.

2AdEPT

Fighting Quelaag, god I fucking hate this thing!!! Can't even scream "kill it with fire" since it spits hot magma.

yeah you can summon the NPC helper, she can be good or bad depending on how she feels that day, but she always serves as a distraction if nothing else. There is a safe zone just to the right of centre where even if she starts swinging you wont get hit...but watch out if she leans forward...dat AOE is a killer.

yeah you can summon the NPC helper, she can be good or bad depending on how she feels that day, but she always serves as a distraction if nothing else. There is a safe zone just to the right of centre where even if she starts swinging you wont get hit...but watch out if she leans forward...dat AOE is a killer.
I got the attack pattern down pretty well now, but I always get caught in something and her attacks do a lot of damage. And it's dead. Mildred put in some serious work.

Top Bottom