• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

You caught Mildred on a good day, sometimes she just stands at the door and runs in a circle!
Lol. Every time I could make a serious dent into Quelaag she'd just do an explosion and I'd try to dodge and get caught on her fucking legs or roll up a hill or some shit and get caught in it, but I'd get fucked while trying to heal. For once Mildred did some work and I sat back and took pot shots when I could. Fight was ridiculous solo.

Spineker

Banned
Just defeated the Iron Golem, now I'm backtracking to finish The Catacombs and The Garden.

I dunno if I should continue from now onwards. I don't wanna burn myself out on this formula before Bloodborne.

I'm finishing up the DLC before beating the last boss and just beat Manus on my second try. I'll have to look it up, but he seemed immune to my enchanted +5 weapon. Not exactly time to swap it out in the middle of the fight, so I had to use the slow casting spells I had attuned. I also had a nice surprise just exploring around and finding 2 guardians at the entrance to the DLC. Hah.

I knew Sif could be rescued in the DLC, but had no idea it was for the Manus fight. I totally missed him and just fought solo. That would have been cool fighting alongside him.

MUnited83

For you.
Just defeated the Iron Golem, now I'm backtracking to finish The Catacombs and The Garden.

I dunno if I should continue from now onwards. I don't wanna burn myself out on this formula before Bloodborne.

I advise you to go to the Catacombs later, after Anor Londo, otherwise it can be a bit of a pain :p

I advise you to go to the Catacombs later, after Anor Londo, otherwise it can be a bit of a pain :p
The Catacombs can be done any time imo, as long as you homebone/get out after the boss and don't carry on to the next area. I think coming to the Catacombs over Anor Londo trivialises the area.

Finish anor londo boss fight and get the vessel, then you can backtrack

2AdEPT

Lol. Every time I could make a serious dent into Quelaag she'd just do an explosion and I'd try to dodge and get caught on her fucking legs or roll up a hill or some shit and get caught in it, but I'd get fucked while trying to heal. For once Mildred did some work and I sat back and took pot shots when I could. Fight was ridiculous solo.
Her AOE is magic btw so you can sometimes avoid OHK with a little magic resist armour and shield.

I dunno, I think you are best off to go back, get properly prepared for Anor Londo and hit it hard. Just take your time with catacombs, bring a bow, figure out what role the various mobs are playing against you and neutralize their defense. THis level will be of similar difficulty no matter your stats until you figure these things out. Sure you could come back later, but as RL said, you dont have to continue past the boss for catacombs and coming in OP will ruin the elegance of the level. Its not a particularly unbeatable boss, and the reward you get for beating him will greatly assist you in Anor Londo. For that reason alone my vote is for goign back. PLus, there is a way to
skip all but the first three mobs in the level and
do the boss within
30 seconds
of the first bonfire. Homeward bone out with your prize and you will be better prepared for Anor Londo. I you want to get a hint on how to do the skip
make sure to start out with full humanity.

Dont worry about burnout doing one playthrough...each player is different of course....but my cycle of burnout for souls is once every 1000 hours or so...so in essence I only had to take a break 2-3 times since 2009. I take micro breaks to watch other people's vids etc and this takes the stress of battle off for a bit.

Her AOE is magic btw so you can sometimes avoid OHK with a little magic resist armour and shield.

I dunno, I think you are best off to go back, get properly prepared for Anor Londo and hit it hard. Just take your time with catacombs, bring a bow, figure out what role the various mobs are playing against you and neutralize their defense. THis level will be of similar difficulty no matter your stats until you figure these things out. Sure you could come back later, but as RL said, you dont have to continue past the boss for catacombs and coming in OP will ruin the elegance of the level. Its not a particularly unbeatable boss, and the reward you get for beating him will greatly assist you in Anor Londo. For that reason alone my vote is for goign back. PLus, there is a way to
skip all but the first three mobs in the level and
do the boss within
30 seconds
of the first bonfire. Homeward bone out with your prize and you will be better prepared for Anor Londo. I you want to get a hint on how to do the skip
make sure to start out with full humanity.

Dont worry about burnout doing one playthrough...each player is different of course....but my cycle of burnout for souls is once every 1000 hours or so...so in essence I only had to take a break 2-3 times since 2009. I take micro breaks to watch other people's vids etc and this takes the stress of battle off for a bit.
My build really isn't magic based. I have some pyromancy spells and a catalyst, but not even enough INT to use the catalyst. Sounds like something I should address when I level up again. Are there any more bosses that can relegate half the environment into lava pools that can sometimes make evasion a pain or is this the only one. I didn't even bother using any pyromancy because I just assumed that it wouldn't even do much to her.

2AdEPT

My build really isn't magic based. I have some pyromancy spells and a catalyst, but not even enough INT to use the catalyst. Sounds like something I should address when I level up again. Are there any more bosses that can relegate half the environment into lava pools that can sometimes make evasion a pain or is this the only one. I didn't even bother using any pyromancy because I just assumed that it wouldn't even do much to her.

My point was not about attacking with magic, but defense. Most people assume that the AOE is fire damage against you so they get fire resist armour, or a fire blocking shield. THis helps block the lava, but not the AOE. The AOE is the critical piece that usually knocks people out of the fight, not so much the lava or her fire sword attacks. It would be better if you could avoid the AOE all together, but from my experience, it took a me a long time until I could get my camera sorted out so that I could even look for tells, let alone read and interpret them. All I meant was, that if you are getting caught in the AOE explosion and dying that upgrading an armour piece that has good magic resist might help at least keep you alive so you can heal. If you get OHK's by the AOE it can be a frustrating fight to have to redo and then make no mistakes on the next run....getting a little magic defense armour could be the difference between surviving, healing and winning, vs. getting OHKO'D by the AOE. Holding your shield up may prevent a OHK as well if you have time to realize you are going to get hit by one. The crest shield if you have it is the best early game, and I beleive the grass crest isnt boss but has better than average.

My point was not about attacking with magic, but defense. Most people assume that the AOE is fire damage against you so they get fire resist armour, or a fire blocking shield. THis helps block the lava, but not the AOE. The AOE is the critical piece that usually knocks people out of the fight, not so much the lava or her fire sword attacks. It would be better if you could avoid the AOE all together, but from my experience, it took a me a long time until I could get my camera sorted out so that I could even look for tells, let alone read and interpret them. All I meant was, that if you are getting caught in the AOE explosion and dying that upgrading an armour piece that has good magic resist might help at least keep you alive so you can heal. If you get OHK's by the AOE it can be a frustrating fight to have to redo and then make no mistakes on the next run....getting a little magic defense armour could be the difference between surviving, healing and winning, vs. getting OHKO'D by the AOE. Holding your shield up may prevent a OHK as well if you have time to realize you are going to get hit by one. The crest shield if you have it is the best early game, and I beleive the grass crest isnt boss but has better than average.
That makes more sense thanks. I was trying to be light as hell and yeah I thought it was fire based so I was using light armor with an ok fire defense with the iron round shield, did nothing for that attack. The Crescent shield did do a decent job blocking that. I think when I realized the tells I was just using the iron round shield thinking it would make a difference. I'll try to remember this for a second playthrough and with other bosses. I do need better equipment at this point. My weapons are kind of crap with like no elements on any of them. I haven't upgraded a single piece of armor either.

Booshka

That makes more sense thanks. I was trying to be light as hell and yeah I thought it was fire based so I was using light armor with an ok fire defense with the iron round shield, did nothing for that attack. The Crescent shield did do a decent job blocking that. I think when I realized the tells I was just using the iron round shield thinking it would make a difference. I'll try to remember this for a second playthrough and with other bosses. I do need better equipment at this point. My weapons are kind of crap with like no elements on any of them. I haven't upgraded a single piece of armor either.

Hang around in the swamps and kill some of those Leech enemies over in the far corner of the swamp. They will drop Green Titanite and Large Titanite Shards. You can use those to upgrade, there will also be an NPC that can break them down into regular Titanite Shards, 1 Green breaks into 5 regular, so great way to upgrade your shield, armor and some weapons.

Normal, Physical damage is more reliable for damage btw, so unless you are really putting a ton of levels into magic skills, just go with normal upgrades and physical damage.

Hang around in the swamps and kill some of those Leech enemies over in the far corner of the swamp. They will drop Green Titanite and Large Titanite Shards. You can use those to upgrade, there will also be an NPC that can break them down into regular Titanite Shards, 1 Green breaks into 5 regular, so great way to upgrade your shield, armor and some weapons.

Normal, Physical damage is more reliable for damage btw, so unless you are really putting a ton of levels into magic skills, just go with normal upgrades and physical damage.
Oh ok. Yeah my most upgraded weapon is a +5 claymore, I really need to step my game up. What is a good weapon to upgrade?

Booshka

Oh ok. Yeah my most upgraded weapon is a +5 claymore, I really need to step my game up. What is a good weapon to upgrade?

Claymore is one of the best in the game imo. Hopefully you have the Large ember, give that to the Blacksmith in Undead Parish, then modify it to +6 and work to getting it to +10. With a healthy mix of Strength and Dexterity, it will get a ton of damage from Stat Scaling.

Claymore is one of the best in the game imo. Hopefully you have the Large ember, give that to the Blacksmith in Undead Parish, then modify it to +6 and work to getting it to +10. With a healthy mix of Strength and Dexterity, it will get a ton of damage from Stat Scaling.
Oh good I'm on the right track. Are any of the spears or halberds any good? Where do you get a large ember from? Sounds like something I might have done already.

+5 Claymore is all you need against Quelaag! You can get it higher if you really want to, but it's already plenty good. What rings are you using?
Oh good I'm on the right track. Are any of the spears or halberds any good? Where do you get a large ember from? Sounds like something I might have done already.

It's in the depths. Guarded by one of those butchers IIRC.

+5 Claymore is all you need against Quelaag! You can get it higher if you really want to, but it's already plenty good. What rings are you using?
I have dark wood, ring of fog, several others, wolf's ring As well. Rust iron rings, some ring that adds health. Should have given the guy the large ember than.

I have dark wood, ring of fog, several others, wolf's ring As well.

Dark wood is awesome, if you quickroll, but you could also go for a medium roll for better defense. That helped me out in earlier runs.
Spell Stoneplate can help you if you have that, also I like to use Havel's or Ring of favor and protection if you have either.

Dark wood is awesome, if you quickroll, but you could also go for a medium roll for better defense. That helped me out in earlier runs.
Spell Stoneplate can help you if you have that, also I like to use Havel's or Ring of favor and protection if you have either.
I never touched Havel too intimidated by the horror stories of fighting him. Is there a short cut back to that castle area or firelink?

I never touched Havel too intimidated by the horror stories of fighting him. Is there a short cut back to that castle area or firelink?

There is! Just take those wooden elevator things near the bonfire. It will take you to the Valley of Drakes and from there you can go straight to Darkroot Basin if you like or just go to New Londo and take the elevator back up to Firelink Shrine.

There is! Just take those wooden elevator things near the bonfire. It will take you to the Valley of Drakes and from there you can go straight to Darkroot Basin if you like or just go to New Londo and take the elevator back up to Firelink Shrine.
I've never even been to valley if the drakes. Sounds like something I'll deal with tomorrow after work.

Finished the DLC by defeating
Kalameet
. I read he was tough, so I probably broke the challenge with a ranged character, but it was still satisfying to kill him. I died to a big attack the first time when he only had a sliver of health (one more spell and it would have killed him), and I think I only needed 1 estus when I killed him the next try. Very solid DLC, with some hard hitting normal mobs. Not that I'll use it on this character, but I like the way the guardian armor looks better than the stone armor.

I guess all I have to do on this character is to figure out what NPCs are worth killing before new game+, then beat the last boss. I could do some grinding, but this guy is pretty decked out.

Got back to it, used a cheap ass way to kill Ceaseless Discharge, got some new armor and eventually made it all the way back to firelink, which is guarded by 3 big ass trolls and the game won't allow me to save because the firekeeper isn't there to keep the fire lit, got lost in undead burg looking for the other bonfire and then just homeward boned back to the place before the demon ruins because I need to eat. Playing again when I have the actual time for it.

2AdEPT

Got back to it, used a cheap ass way to kill Ceaseless Discharge, got some new armor and eventually made it all the way back to firelink, which is guarded by 3 big ass trolls and the game won't allow me to save because the firekeeper isn't there to keep the fire lit, got lost in undead burg looking for the other bonfire and then just homeward boned back to the place before the demon ruins because I need to eat. Playing again when I have the actual time for it.

OUch ! Your game saves anywhere!!! Just quit!!! No bonfire required. THat said, you got the armour early, which most dont get until later...and at least you know how to get out now.....the Firekeeper thing is the same for everyone...her time will come....you can avenge her death....and the last laugh is on her assailant because in striking her down she will become more powerful than he can possibly imagine!
Plus you get her armour. You may want to check the specs on dat set..looks can be deceiving ;)

D:

Did you unlock the elevator between Firelink and the Parish, that would've been your safest/quickest next bonfire. But it's only a couple of minutes run back to Firelink from where you are, not too much harm done. :)

OUch ! Your game saves anywhere!!! Just quit!!! No bonfire required. THat said, you got the armour early, which most dont get until later...and at least you know how to get out now.....the Firekeeper thing is the same for everyone...her time will come....you can avenge her death....and the last laugh is on her assailant because in striking her down she will become more powerful than he can possibly imagine!
Plus you get her armour. You may want to check the specs on dat set..looks can be deceiving ;)
Wait that dingy old hag set is legit? I just picked it up but never looked at it. I'm very rarely full armored because I'm trying still be maneuverable, I'm kind of mix and matched with different stuff on. I think I'm wearing the gold helmed hood, shadow garb, no guantlets and maybe wanders boots.

Mistel

Banned
Wait that dingy old hag set is legit? I just picked it up but never looked at it. I'm very rarely full armored because I'm trying still be maneuverable, I'm kind of mix and matched with different stuff on. I think I'm wearing the gold helmed hood, shadow garb, no guantlets and maybe wanders boots.
The dingy set is one of the better armors you can get in the game.

Molemitts

My brother's friend borrowed the game from us a while back and I finally got it back a few days ago. My plan is to at least beat Ornstein and Smough without summoning, as I haven't done that yet, before Bloodborne comes out. Looks like I might be able to get further, maybe also take on the DLC.

I spent ages grinding for the Balder Side Sword and it's a pretty fun weapon the R2 attack has loads of reach. I've been trying to stay human for a large amount of the game to try and take on all the NPC invasions. I've mostly just been invaded by twinks, though. lol

The framerate is much worse than I remember it being. I'm not sure why, but I've been noticing it way more, even when I'm not rolling into a ton of barrels. It's really immersion breaking, but not unplayable or anything.

I spent ages trying to take on the second Black Knight, it's so hard I completely forgot. On this one attempt, I was at the top of the tower, fighting him, when I went back to Estus and he knocked me off the tower. As I was falling, I was 100% sure I was dead, until I landed with a slither of health. I had to heal really quickly and then I shat myself when I saw the Black Knight jump down from the tower, landing right next to me.

I just beat The Gaping Dragon, which is a really epic boss fight, but it's just a shame how easy it is.

I spent ages trying to take on the second Black Knight, it's so hard I completely forgot. On this one attempt, I was at the top of the tower, fighting him, when I went back to Estus and he knocked me off the tower. As I was falling, I was 100% sure I was dead, until I landed with a slither of health. I had to heal really quickly and then I shat myself when I saw the Black Knight jump down from the tower, landing right next to me.
Haha, I've seen that before. That jump down from the top is always survivable if you have full health, a good shortcut if you're trying to get some space between you and an invader for a set-up. Enemies also take fall damage, so if you can bait the BK to fall a couple of times it will kill him too (but quicker just to parry or backstab him!)

GHAAA.

1th go fighting the father of abyss boss in the DLC and I had him around ~5% health and then I screwed up and died. I was one hit away!!!

Might take a break and get my final lord soul and come back.

I think this is the time I final finish the game though. I am almost there.. I think. Unless after getting all the lord souls, Snake man says "now go to these 4 new areas and get even more stuff for me"

Also it it me or does some of the DLC stuff kind of remind me of Bloodborne?

The final boss looks like that boss from the Bloodborne alpha demo and there is that merchant near the arena who looks more like the main character from BB then the armour scentric characters from Dark Souls.

2AdEPT

Better than it in every aspect sans poison resistance. Dingy is lighter and has higher resistances.

I believe the gold hemmed set has better fire resistance as well, even when the dingy set is fully upgraded, however a fully upgraded dingy set is much better in physical, magic and lightning, and iirc the lightning resistance cant really be beat even by havels or other tank armour can it ?

Regardless, since the GHS is non upgradable it starts out at a pretty decent stat mix when you dont have anything else upgraded yet. ONce you do upgrade the dingy it will start taking over as your main piece...

Fuck...nice. Yeah guess I'm going to be maining that for awhile then.

......but dont forget about the insane poison and fire resistance of the hemmed set in different situations.

GHAAA.

1th go fighting the father of abyss boss in the DLC and I had him around ~5% health and then I screwed up and died. I was one hit away!!!

Might take a break and get my final lord soul and come back.

I think this is the time I final finish the game though. I am almost there.. I think. Unless after getting all the lord souls, Snake man says "now go to these 4 new areas and get even more stuff for me"

Also it it me or does some of the DLC stuff kind of remind me of Bloodborne?

The final boss looks like that boss from the Bloodborne alpha demo and there is that merchant near the arena who looks more like the main character from BB then the armour scentric characters from Dark Souls.

INdeed! ...and Miyazaki was just splitting offf to start project beast at the same time as he was cleaning up the DLC; the question is, did he use the ideas of Manus and Marvelous Chester in Project beast after the fact, or did he already have some Beast stuff in his mind and thought to leave a few eggs of Beast empregnated in Dark SOuls as a farewell gift?!?!!?? Would be interested to hear this quesiton asked of him in the next interview...hopefully ENB was on to this question at his sake party with Miyazaki.

Soodanim

Got the urge to revisit Dark Souls another time the other day. I fancied doing a Compound Bow run (inspired by Elajaz, the only Souls runner I watch now), so I started one. Then I got a Balder Side Sword drop, which made it even better. I've never had one of those drop in the Parish in all my time acroas ~30 characters, including some effort to farm one.

I was looking at my saves when I booted the game, and I realised that I rarely level above about 20 now. I know equipment is what matters most, but are the rest of you like that? I think I just like the idea of being level 10 and helping people with the Gargoyles, and even if I go higher just sitting at 40 ask I can help with O&S.

T_Exige

I should start a new run, I gave up after the weapons trophy didn't pop in New Game +++ or ++++ It is the only trophy missing.
It is a drop for Grant or Sanctus, but I didn't get the weapon from the ghost in Tomb of Giants.

^ They are guaranteed drops from Leeroy, did you just forget to pick 'em up?

I was looking at my saves when I booted the game, and I realised that I rarely level above about 20 now. I know equipment is what matters most, but are the rest of you like that? I think I just like the idea of being level 10 and helping people with the Gargoyles, and even if I go higher just sitting at 40 ask I can help with O&S.
Yes, I'm like this too. I've always preferred low level play and when I start a new character it's with the intention of keeping as low as possible. As long as I've got enough stats for a shortbow, I'm happy - I've never been in to heavy STR weapons so it's easy to stay low level for my playstyle.

Soodanim

^ They are guaranteed drops from Leeroy, did you just forget to pick 'em up?

Yes, I'm like this too. I've always preferred low level play and when I start a new character it's with the intention of keeping as low as possible. As long as I've got enough stats for a shortbow, I'm happy - I've never been in to heavy STR weapons so it's easy to stay low level for my playstyle.

I've tried doing the whole tank/strength/Havel build with the intention of using a greatbow (PvE, I don't do PvP), but given what you have to put into it to get where you want to go it's really not worth it from an efficiency point of view. Even if you don't do heavy armour and can quick roll, that 50 strength isn't going to get you much higher damage (certainly not higher DPS) than the no scaling +5 chaos/lightning weapon you can use at near base stats. I had a level 40ish build that put enough into strength and dex to use an estoc and a shotel, then put the rest into vitality. The game really does favour elements and enchantments.

Reading up the page about Quelaag, it's funny how often she ruined my the first time I played the game when now she's one of the easiest bosses to dodge every attack of. She has rather long wind ups to the dangerous attacks, and the sword swings are pretty standard dodging. Or you can find the spot(s?) right next to her where the swings whiff.

I believe the gold hemmed set has better fire resistance as well, even when the dingy set is fully upgraded, however a fully upgraded dingy set is much better in physical, magic and lightning, and iirc the lightning resistance cant really be beat even by havels or other tank armour can it ?

Regardless, since the GHS is non upgradable it starts out at a pretty decent stat mix when you dont have anything else upgraded yet. ONce you do upgrade the dingy it will start taking over as your main piece...
......but dont forget about the insane poison and fire resistance of the hemmed set in different situations.
My god there's so much science and prep work to this game.

Anor Londo is fucking huge... :O

my jaw was on the floor

It looks like it, but there's less explorable territory than Blighttown.

My god there's so much science and prep work to this game.

Only if you're going to play PvP. Generally you throw on whatever looks nice as long as you maintain light roll and you can flop your way through the game. Or go naked. Bosses on New Game Plus and beyond will just dunk you anyway even with the set you've meticulously upgraded, and NG++ beyond it's hard to tell if armor even matters to them because they do so much damage.
There's only really one boss where tanking is a viable or appealing strategy.

Mistel

Banned
Its got the highest lightning defense I think the next highest is the stone with 141 lightning defense.

Top Bottom