• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls PC 1080p. Confirmed, like, for real.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can't believe this was ever in question. I can't think of a 3D PC game in the last 15 years that didn't let you set the resolution.
Sonic 4 - Episode 2 was limited to 1280x720 by default and cannot be modified from within the game itself.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
They say they aren't fixing framerate issues like Blightown, but I'm guessing (or is this hoping) that decent PC hardware will be able to brute force this shit into playable fps ranges.

Durante

So, from an AV enthusiast, I find that PC monitors capable of higher resolution simply aren't all their cracked up to be. At least high-end LCD TVs support high-density LED arrays that can be dynamically adjusted. PC monitors just can't reach the same levels of black reproduction or motion resolution.
Is that really of value in this context? As a gamer, even the fastest local dimming LCDs I've seen are unusable in terms of input lag.

Apocryphon

Optimal display resolution is totally down to viewing distance. 1080p is fine on a 50" tv because you typically sit 6'+ away. It's also fine on a 22 inch monitor when you're sitting 2' away. But 1080p on a monitor that's 24"+ becomes an eyesore the higher you go.

1080p has become the defacto standard for development due to the performance requirements of higher resolutions. That doesn't mean it's ideal, and for those that don't think it's sufficient CrossFire and SLI solutions are the answer. You want to play at higher resolutions, buy a better graphics card.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Honesty does not ensure a sale. No pity sale from me if this is a shit port. I will wait for the suckers........errrr......I mean test subjects to buy it first :p

Well, at least they are honest. First time Ive seen a dev say they dont really know what they are doing and it will not be a good port.

Last time I heard this was Mother 3 for 64DD and we all know how that turned out. :-/

Let's just hope that it is not so locked down that the community can't fix it after the fact...

Sentenza

Optimal display resolution is totally down to viewing distance.
Actually I would say that is totally down to your screen's native resolution.
Everything that doesn't run at native resolution tends to look just bad.
I would easily pick a 1680x1050 on a native monitor over a 1920x1080 on a 2560x1440 panel.

Of course, one could argue that if you sit far enough you won't notice that much, but then again if you sit even further you won't see shit. Magic!

Shai-Tan

Banned
Of course, one could argue that if you sit far enough you won't notice that much, but then again if you sit even further you won't see shit. Magic!

yep I sometimes play PS2 games on a 11 inch TV and it looks nice and sharp then I notice the text is less legible than a 25 inch tv i.e. it's missing lines of resolution. so by all means stand farther away from a display to make it smaller but don't expect to see all the detail. some of that detail is aliasing, bad texture filtering, etc so it can actually make sense to sit a little too far away on console games but on PC not really

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I guess there's a language barrier between a Japanese and a Finnish developer :p

1. Giftwrap source code
2. Send to Nitro with a Google Translated message asking that they port it to the PC
3. ???
4. Profit Everybody wins

Locked at 15fps and no AA!

I will take GFWL if it means that at the very least the basic config options are there (I know that's not a guarantee or anything with GFWL).

Apocryphon

Actually I would say that is totally down to your screen's native resolution.
Everything that doesn't run at native resolution tends to look just bad.
I would easily pick a 1680x1050 on a native monitor over a 1920x1080 on a 2560x1440 panel.

Well scaling resolutions always looks like shit, but that isn't the point here. If you have a 2560*1600 display and your game supports the resolution, that is clearly a superior option than scaling 1080p on the same panel. But 99.9% of modern pc games support resolutions higher than 1080p, so if you have a panel that supports them and you have enough power to drive them, why would you even remotely consider scaling anyway?

Well, at least they are honest. First time Ive seen a dev say they dont really know what they are doing and it will not be a good port.
lmao.

now i love from, but this is pretty bullshit for them to be saying this. i understand that japanese developers tend to view things a little differently, especially when it comes to their fans so its entirely possible that they honestly feel pressured to produce a PC version for their fanbase.

but to openly admit they don't know what they're doing and aren't willing to take the time to learn is pretty inexcusable.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Did i miss something? Is a changable resolution for a PC game now a feature?

You missed the multiple threads where the developer's comments were misconstrued to the point where things as basic as resolution were under question, yes.

Namco should have given them more time.
I'm glad that From are doing the port themselves because that means that there's a chance that all their future games will come out on PC too. It sounds like they want to learn how to do a proper PC version but namco just wants a quick cashgrab.

I really hope they don't lock the framerate. All action games should run at 120 fps.

this is the same from that made armored core right? wouldn't mind some of that too. wonder if an extra few months might help Dark souls. would anyone be willing to wait an extra six months to get a better port?

At least they're honest with their problems and don't try to cheat people to buy a shitty port.

:p

I will buy this to support this game even if it ran at 800x600. And to access the new content of course.

kinggroin

Banned
Err what about 1920x1200?

1080 ain't touching my 24" monitor.

:lol at the framerate comments.

Your monitor cant do a 1:1 pixel map for non-native resolutions? That way it would still be just as sharp as 1200p, but you'd have small letterbox bars on the top and bottom.

Sentenza

People DO know there will be a steam version,right? Not just a GFWL version...so don't worry
Do you realize that the problem never was if the game was making its appearance on Steam, but exactly how it's going to use GFWL regardless of where you buy it, right?

This was apparently posted 8 hours ago on PC Gamer. Not sure if it counts as new news, because it's more of what we already know, basically, but here are some choice quotes:

...Saguchi suggests that the severity of the port problems will vary depending on the power of the player’s machine. “While the game hasn’t been tweaked itself, because it’s very difficult to tweak, but for people who play on the PC, which is arguably a lot more stronger format to work off of, it does improve the framerate issues,” he said.

“I think it’s really inherent on the person’s setup in terms of what kind of power the game can use. So it’s a little bit more difficult to determine, it really kind of shifts along with the processor that you’re selling.”

“It’s definitely going to be better than the console version,” he added later. “It’s just that in terms of what PC gamers are maybe looking at in terms of what they usually play, it may not match up.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/15/n...e-dont-really-have-that-strong-pc-experience/

well, I'm still looking forward to playing it. the original comments really just read like they weren't going to optimise the geometry and such any further, not that they were making some horrible 15fps nightmare-fuel.

there are things you can do with polygon culling boundaries (for example) which will vastly improve the performance of certain areas in a game. even if they don't do that I'd still expect it to scale well with your hardware.

Zeliard

I have no idea why people are so fixated on resolution when the framerate for this sort of game is a million times more important.

I have no idea why people are so fixated on resolution when the framerate for this sort of game is a million times more important.

I think it's still because of that mistranslated interview that made everyone think it would be fixed at 720p.

And I don't know how common it is, but my monitor is pretty crappy at handling non-native resolutions, so I'd be willing to sacrifice some framerate to play it at native res.

Zeliard

I think it's still because of that mistranslated interview that made everyone think it would be fixed at 720p.

And I don't know how common it is, but my monitor is pretty crappy at handling non-native resolutions, so I'd be willing to sacrifice some framerate to play it at native res.

Shrug, I always thought it was pretty clear he was just talking about the texture work. Dunno why so many jumped the gun on that one.

It's the framerate and general performance that have always truly been in question, and where the concern really should have gone.

Can't say the info and vids released so far temper that worry much at all, either. :<

Top Bottom