• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls series tops 8 million copies shipped (940K Japan, 7M+ abroad)

Grief.exe

And Shu let this series slip through Sony's fingers, lol.

250px-Sweating-Man.jpg

Xiraiya

And Shu let this series slip through Sony's fingers, lol.
Well considering the fact Demon Souls and Bloodborne are comparable in quality to Dark Souls and ARE Sony published exclusives. It's more of a matter of Dark Souls making these sales specifically because of it's non exclusivity.
If you mean they let it slip through their fingers by not publishing it and then also allowing it onto PC, then yes they did.

But I doubt they would have let it go to PC, so either way Sony would have lost out.

nampad

Well considering the fact Demon Souls and Bloodborne are comparable in quality to Dark Souls and ARE Sony published exclusives. It's more of a matter of Dark Souls making these sales specifically because of it's non exclusivity.
If you mean they let it slip through their fingers by not publishing it and then also allowing it onto PC, then yes they did.

But I doubt they would have let it go to PC, so either way Sony would have lost out.

I am not even talking about the exact sales numbers here as it is obvious to anyone with half a brain that a multiplatform release probably sells better then an exclusive.
But Shu fucked up by letting the Souls games go multiplatform. It would have been a great bullet point for all those list wars.

Shu didn't bring Demon's Souls to the west so that Namco could swoop in and build a relationship with From for this series.
Signing From for Bloodborne after the Souls games exploded in popularity and probably paying a hefty sum for it doesn't seem like such a great deal to me.

They probably could have had the Souls games exclusive if they didn't fuck up the Demon's Souls release.

Gbraga

Dark Souls II bashing really needs to stop, it's annoying as hell. EVERY SINGLE THREAD gets derailed to Dark Souls vs Dark Souls II, and it always starts with "Dark Souls II sucks".

I've seen a thread titled "loved Bloodborne, should I play Dark Souls II?" and I didn't even enter it, even though I love talking about Soulsborne, just to avoid the inevitable discussion.

Not saying this discussion should be banned, but there is a place and time for it. Context matters.

Durante

Yeah, that's pretty damn cool. More successful than big names such as Resident Evil, even? What about FFVII?
It's hard to say for the older entries (since not all copies are tracked on Steam), but RE6 sits at 611k. Even if you assume that some of the former entries were three times as successful on PC (which seems kind of a stretch given the port quality pre-RE5) DS1 would still have outsold them.

I did search for FF7 specifically, but I didn't find even a hint of a platform split. Given that it's synonymous with PS1 and "just" sold ~10 million copies in total, I think it's really unlikely that 2 million of those were on PC.

So yeah, Dark Souls is the most successful Japanese game/franchise on PC.

Grief.exe

It's hard to say for the older entries (since not all copies are tracked on Steam), but RE6 sits at 611k. Even if you assume that some of the former entries were three times as successful on PC (which seems kind of a stretch given the port quality pre-RE5) DS1 would still have outsold them.

I did search for FF7 specifically, but I didn't find even a hint of a platform split. Given that it's synonymous with PS1 and "just" sold ~10 million copies in total, I think it's really unlikely that 2 million of those were on PC.

I guess we can look at it this way. If FFVII and VIII had been as successful as Souls on PC, then we would have seen IX as well.

Wiktor

It's about 8.5 millions.

The incredible thing is how disproportionate DS sales on PC is compare to most other AA(A) multiplats. It really found a home there.

You mean compared to how console versions sold? Then yeah. But plenty of AAA multiplats sell comparably on PC

hm, I feel like they should count demon souls as part of the series. that would likely put it at over 10 million copies sold yeah?

la_briola

It's hard to tell. Do we have numbers for FFXI and FFXIV, we need to count them, if we are talking franchise.

It isn't counted for the same reason Bloodborne isn't. Sony IP locked to Sony platform.
bloodborne is different because it doesn't have souls in the title and fromsoftware specified that it is not a souls installment. demon souls on the other hand is the spiritual predecessor to dark souls.

kswiston

I expect Metal Gear Solid 5 to be big on PC. Maybe not DS1 big, but Ground Zeroes is already close to the 400k mark and Metal Gear Rising is closing in on 500k. When MGS5 starts getting deeper discounts in 2016, I am sure it will break the 1M mark.

Bastables

So when a Japanese developer develops something that isn't aimed exclusively at Japanese tastes they can sell 8x as much outside of Japan than in it?

There's a lesson for many Japanese developers in this.

This lesson makes no sense considering King's Field Exists (pre cursor to Demon Souls) and failed to gain such a popular following in the west.

Bastables

Have you played King's Field? They're wildly inaccessible games that require 10x the patience of a Souls game. There are a lot of reasons they didn't break out like Souls did, even though they share the same basic DNA.

They also came out at a time where difficult games weren't the rarity they are now.

Did you read what I was replying too? Because I was subtly pointing out how asinine the reasoning: that it's merely FROM not being HarduJapanese that has led to their success....

Have you played King's Field? They're wildly inaccessible games that require 10x the patience of a Souls game. There are a lot of reasons they didn't break out like Souls did, even though they share the same basic DNA.

They also came out at a time where difficult games weren't the rarity they are now.

Grossly over-exagerated, but typical of the mental gymnastics people use to "justify" why they haven't played this series (or the Shadow Towers).

Neoweee

Grossly over-exagerated, but typical of the mental gymnastics people use to "justify" why they haven't played this series (or the Shadow Towers).

Yes, disliking the games requires "mental gymnastics". It has nothing to do with the horrendously slow movement, slow animations, awful combat, or crappy controls. Nope. Not at all.

Xiraiya

it's the spiritual predecessor...
And?

It's not connected to the world, story or even the lore of Dark Souls in any way, that's why it's not part of the series, otherwise Dark Souls would have been "Demon Souls II" instead.
They're connected in concept but then again every game following the "Souls" format is connected in concept.

Hell, Bloodborne had more of a connection to Demon Souls considering the fact the BB alpha had multiple direct DeS references.

And?

It's not connected to the world, story or even the lore of Dark Souls in any way, that's why it's not part of the series, otherwise Dark Souls would have been "Demon Souls II" instead.
They're connected in concept but then again every game following the "Souls" format is connected in concept.

Hell, Bloodborne had more of a connection to Demon Souls considering the fact the BB alpha had multiple direct DeS references.
and, for that reason, I think it should be counted in the cumulative sales of souls games. i'm not saying you're wrong about anything you said, but part of the reason we got dark souls is because of demon souls, they both have souls in the title, the series might as well be called "souls" since we refer to them as souls games.

Top Bottom