• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

If you're trying to do a normal run with people you plan on keeping a higher torch level will result in less surprise for you, more surprise for the enemy, and less stress. If you're just making a sacrificial run then low levels gets more loot and you don't have to worry about the poor bastards long-term.
Yeah that makes sense. Thanks.

I think I'll try out these low level farming runs instead of trying to heal up everyone. I kinda feel bad for sacking my dudes, though.

DrArchon

Man, champion level RNG is something else.

I go into a long cove mission. Setup is Arba/Occ/GR/MaA.

Fight 1 = Zero damage. No stress. Multiple crits. Feeling pretty good.

Fight 2 = 4 fishmen outspeed my whole team. All target my occultist. one dodge, two 20 damage crits to put him on death's door, one deathblow. Followed by a quick abandon.

Gotta love it.

DrArchon

Haven't gotten it yet. I was going for it during that run actually.

Yeah, surprising is key. I love any camping skills that give you huge bonuses to either scouting or surprising (bonus points if they prevent night time ambush).

Begaria

Man, changing the inventory stock amounts through some notepad editing is life changing in this game. Now I can actually hold a decent amount of loot and it feels more rewarding and adventurous instead of agonizing whether I want an extra 500 gold or 2 more deeds. I upped gold stacks to 10k (instead of 1.5k), all gems to 8, firewood to 3, all heirlooms to 12, and quest items to 3. I didn't change any gold values on selling, as I do want *some* grinding in the game, but at least the stock value changes make it more manageable.

explodet

I haven't run into many inventory crowding problems yet - but then again I've been sticking with short Cleanse/Explore missions and boss runs where I make a beeline to the final fight. Plus I'm only now hitting level 3 characters and concentrating on upgrading the Hamlet, so I'm taking my time with the game.

Maybe on a new run I'll consider messing around with the data.

DrArchon

I ran into inventory problems when I was grinding for portraits, but I got all that I needed without editing so it's not too much of an issue. Still, stacks of three for portraits is bullshit given how many you need. Now I'm just grinding crests and stacks of 12 seem fine.

I might do something about those quest items you have to bring along for certain objectives, like cleansing bodies or idols. Also those items you have to get, like grain and relics. Having to maintain 3 free slots for them is killing my desire to run those missions.

Also, I've started abusing backer heroes a bit. They're so good if you can get past the occasional dumb name. They always have 2 locked good quirks and 1 locked bad quirk, but a lot of the bad ones are things like "-% crit for ranged attacks" on a Leper or "can't visit the brothel". Plus when they die, you can just get them back again at lvl 0. Perfect for dark runs. Cheating? Probably, but sometimes I need a new healer and I'll be damned if I'm gonna wait for the stagecoach to generate one that isn't dogshit.

KarmaCow

I don't know if I'm just playing too cautiously but the game feels really grindy. Not just in terms of building a worthwhile team but needing to cycle through people since the main members are all dealing with being mindfucked and diseased. Throwing new recruits into the shredder has been useful for figuring out synergies but it feels like every two missions or so I'm in a holding pattern, just waiting it out to back to the real game.

kionedrik

How many "main members" do you have? You should be leveling your entire roster evenly because eventually you'll need a lot of heroes to move forward and you can't count on those "main" ones to be there forever. With an even leveled roster you'll never have the feeling of playing an off-week because all your parties will be doing the same dungeons.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Do you guys have go-to squad compositions, for the Brigand Pounders? I seriously need some advice.

DrArchon

Do you guys have go-to squad compositions, for the Brigand Pounders? I seriously need some advice.

I used Arbalest/GraveRobber/GraveRobber/Hellion. You can sub one of the Grave Robbers for a Houndmaster or whatever, but the idea is to be able to hit the back 2 positions with as many of your characters as possible. You can't afford to not kill the cannon primer every single turn, so you need to be able to attack him with everyone no matter where he is. As long as you kill him every turn you should be good. Just whittle down the cannon and occasionally take out other brigands that it summons and you should do fine.

I don't know if I'm just playing too cautiously but the game feels really grindy. Not just in terms of building a worthwhile team but needing to cycle through people since the main members are all dealing with being mindfucked and diseased. Throwing new recruits into the shredder has been useful for figuring out synergies but it feels like every two missions or so I'm in a holding pattern, just waiting it out to back to the real game.

I might be worse than you. I feel like I'm making no progress at all. I'm on week 7 I think and I've only had 2 clear runs.

DrArchon

I might be worse than you. I feel like I'm making no progress at all. I'm on week 7 I think and I've only had 2 clear runs.

Any particular difficulties in clearing runs? What's your general team composition? What hamlet functions are you focusing on upgrading? I feel like I had pretty flawless runs up until about week 20, so it seems weird that you're having this kind of trouble.

I used Arbalest/GraveRobber/GraveRobber/Hellion. You can sub one of the Grave Robbers for a Houndmaster or whatever, but the idea is to be able to hit the back 2 positions with as many of your characters as possible. You can't afford to not kill the cannon primer every single turn, so you need to be able to attack him with everyone no matter where he is. As long as you kill him every turn you should be good. Just whittle down the cannon and occasionally take out other brigands that it summons and you should do fine.

My favorite for that one is Arby/GR/heavy hitter of choice/MaA. The MaA ripostes the cannon and helps clean up adds

DrArchon

My favorite for that one is Arby/GR/heavy hitter of choice/MaA. The MaA ripostes the cannon and helps clean up adds

MaA is one of my favorite classes, and I used one against a cannon fight, but mostly I just used Command to boost accuracy and crit, so there was no way for the primers to last even a single turn. Didn't see any point in riposting the canon because I never let it fire.

He was good for taking chunks of health off of the cannon itself though. Command crit boost + camping skills crit boost is nuts!

Any particular difficulties in clearing runs? What's your general team composition? What hamlet functions are you focusing on upgrading? I feel like I had pretty flawless runs up until about week 20, so it seems weird that you're having this kind of trouble.

I wouldn't say its difficulty, its more like I don't want my guys to go insane or die so I bail out of the run. I've read lots of tips saying to treat party members as expendable just haven't gotten over that hump to actually do it.

week 7 is literally nothing, im in the hundreds

Oh I know that I have a long way to go. heh

MaA is one of my favorite classes, and I used one against a cannon fight, but mostly I just used Command to boost accuracy and crit, so there was no way for the primers to last even a single turn. Didn't see any point in riposting the canon because I never let it fire.

He was good for taking chunks of health off of the cannon itself though. Command crit boost + camping skills crit boost is nuts!

Riposting the cannon helped bring it down. My Arby (rip :p) coudl 1shot the Primer.

And yes, his campfire sing-alongs before that fight is gooooooooooooooood.

DrArchon

I wouldn't say its difficulty, its more like I don't want my guys to go insane or die so I bail out of the run. I've read lots of tips saying to treat party members as expendable just haven't gotten over that hump to actually do it.

Yeah took me a while too. I think I finally got over it when I started abusing the backer heroes for loot runs because you just respawn them at lvl 0 when the die/get shipped off.

Still, your dudes are more resilient than you give them credit for. If you feel like you aren't progressing enough, don't be afraid to try and finish a mission with one crazy dude. They can still function decently if you're lucky. I've only abandoned a mission when 3-4 guys have gone nuts, because when it's only 1 or 2 it's usually fine.

Yeah took me a while too. I think I finally got over it when I started abusing the backer heroes for loot runs because you just respawn them at lvl 0 when the die/get shipped off.

Still, your dudes are more resilient than you give them credit for. If you feel like you aren't progressing enough, don't be afraid to try and finish a mission with one crazy dude. They can still function decently if you're lucky. I've only abandoned a mission when 3-4 guys have gone nuts, because when it's only 1 or 2 it's usually fine.

I'm still feeling the game out, maybe I should bring more healing items other than battle heals.

DrArchon

I'm still feeling the game out, maybe I should bring more healing items other than battle heals.

I always bring the max amount of food that I can, but I'm paranoid about hunger triggers. Once you learn what kinds statuses that the enemies in each area use you can focus on stocking up appropriate amounts of antivenom and bandages. Same with herbal meds and holy water once you learn which curios are worth spending them on of the best benefits.

Until then, you should bring a couple of each but don't feed the need to spend all of you money on starting gear, especially not for short-medium missions.

Begaria

Slowly making my way through the bosses. I just have three more tier 1 bosses to kill before moving on to tier 2. I had to make a "Team C" in order to finish off the tier 1 bosses since my Team A and B outleveled the content.

explodet

I wish my team knew better than to leave the stacks of books alone while adventuring.
Everybody knows in any setting that involves Eldritch Horrors you DON'T READ THE BOOKS.

At least none of my current roster are stealing from me anymore. :p
Slowly making my way through the bosses. I just have three more tier 1 bosses to kill before moving on to tier 2. I had to make a "Team C" in order to finish off the tier 1 bosses since my Team A and B outleveled the content.
Once that max roster size grows you might find yourself with a Team D.

KarmaCow

How many "main members" do you have? You should be leveling your entire roster evenly because eventually you'll need a lot of heroes to move forward and you can't count on those "main" ones to be there forever. With an even leveled roster you'll never have the feeling of playing an off-week because all your parties will be doing the same dungeons.

About 9 or so, the reason I have an off team is mostly because I need spots open to keep rotating to find worthwhile members, both in terms of skills and non-shit quirks. At the moment I have two healers and they're both Occultists and I really feel like I need a reliable healer for the longer quests.

K.Jack

I always over provision food, or at least bring enough for RNGesus to hit me with 4 x 4 food procs + 6 food per camping session.

Nothus

I tried rolling with a MaA in position 4, and used that shield trinket that boosts his protection, dodge and heals. All he can do is protect and buff the rest of my team but I was surprised at how well it worked out.
Once I get his abilities maxed out I might try it out on some boss runs.

kionedrik

About 9 or so, the reason I have an off team is mostly because I need spots open to keep rotating to find worthwhile members, both in terms of skills and non-shit quirks. At the moment I have two healers and they're both Occultists and I really feel like I need a reliable healer for the longer quests.

Here's what worked for me: Don't let the newbies skills and quirks dissuade you from getting them, you can always remove those quirks and get the skills you want. The most important thing, imo, is the hero class.

Besides, early game quirks aren't that important, save from some special cases like kleptomaniac or curious.

I beat my first boss yesterday! My team consisted of Occultist, Jester, Crusader, and Leper, all level 1 (and pretty much my B team). They took out the Necromancer and no one even came close to death rolls! Occultist mainly healed and pulled targets from the rear. Jester had stress heal duty and bleed attacks on the 2-3 ranks, occasionally moving up and down the party ranks; I didn't even have the party buff skill on this one. Crusader was all about the stuns and backup melee, with Leper just wrecking my foes for me.

I'm still pretty early into the game at just under 6 hours, but super excited about the progress I've made so far. I still have a lot of stuff to learn (better party comps, for example) and need to do more town upgrades. I can see end game being grindy, but am loving the combat so far.

I'm definitely making some progress. All my runs last night were relatively easy clears. Starting to upgrade some skills and weapons and that makes a world of difference. The game is about to kick me in the nuts isn't it?

Nothus

Hahaha!
Honestly if you keep on top of your abilities and gear (keep them max possible level) you will probably be ok for a while yet.
The only things that might trip you up are the unique scenarios brought about in some of the boss fights. You can be screwed in some of them if you go in with the wrong classes.

Begaria

God damn fucking Wilbur on the Tier 3 Swine boss Death Blowed my really awesome Jester. I was wrecking that boss and dungeon up to that point, and went weeks without a death, then this little bastard kills my Jester. Bah.

DrArchon

Beat the lvl 3 prophet finally. Fuck he does a ton of damage. Thankfully my Arbalest and Houndmaster did more, but that was way closer than any of the other fights I've had with him.

And now my Arbalests are gonna be even better with that sick trophy item I got from him. Might actually start building some of them for damage instead of making them weird support hybrids. Now if only I could muster up the courage to go after the other bosses.

K.Jack

I tried rolling with a MaA in position 4, and used that shield trinket that boosts his protection, dodge and heals. All he can do is protect and buff the rest of my team but I was surprised at how well it worked out.
Once I get his abilities maxed out I might try it out on some boss runs.

Who do you run in front of him? Been thinking about trying that.

You know what I really appreciate about Darkest Dungeon as being one of the games I'm playing through right now? Being able to control everything with just the mouse - movement, opening curios, etc. I've got a 5 month old daughter so when she's bored of playing on her playmat, isn't ready for a nap, or wants to be held, I've been able to hold her and bounce her on my knee while playing Darkest Dungeon with just one hand.

Until her first words are Darkest Dungeon quotes.

Make a Kids React video out of this.

Nothus

Just had an incredibly frustrating few hours with this game. Tried on two separate occasions to take down the champion prophet and didn't manage it. The first run was a disaster, I lost my level 6 leper on the first fucking fight I ran into! Two crits on him and the bleed damage caused a deathblow before I even had chance to heal him. To say I was fucking furious was an understatement. Aborted the mission after that and was left with pretty much zero money.

Had to take a party of new recruits into a mission with literally zero supplies and ended up losing three of them because I had no healer.

Finally managed to grind my way back to a decent amount of gold and attempted the stupid prophet again.
Went into the fight with Vestal, Grave Robber, Houndmaster and Helion (with Iron Swan). So a decent healer and three classes who can all do damage to him without needing to clear the wooden obstacles.
I got him down to about 25 health before some shitty little blight damage killed someone and threw all the positioning out. I was left with only a vestal and my grave robber who could no longer throw the poison darts because she was now in the front two by default.
The blight and bleed effects I had already put on him before everything went to shit were not going to be enough to kill him so I just had to bail with him on a slither of health but basically invincible. I'm still fucking furious about it.

Rant over.

Top Bottom