• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

Begaria

Finally got all of the Tier 1 bosses down. At least I have like 20 Resolve Level 3/4 guys to tackle the Tier 2 bosses with.

God Enel

Guys how much food to bring in a long Dungeon?
At the moment I don't have any heroes higher than one as I am throwing them all away for grinding purposes. And what would you focus on upgrading? I think the blacksmith and the guild are important. With some obvious points in sanatorium/stressreducing buildings.

Nothus

At the moment I don't have any heroes higher than one as I am throwing them all away for grinding purposes. And what would you focus on upgrading? I think the blacksmith and the guild are important. With some obvious points in sanatorium/stressreducing buildings.

If it's one camp I take 18 food, 2 camps and I take 24. Might be overkill though because you'll usually find some going through the dungeon.
As for upgrades I would focus on increasing your roster size and then the blacksmith and weapon guild.

Calcium

Banned
I just started yesterday and I am loving this game. The stress mechanic is really interesting and gives personality to the characters. I haven't had anyone die yet, so hopefully I can keep that going for a while.

I thought I was doing well untill I did a lvl 3 pig mission. I got fucked so hard, but didn't want to give up because I was near the end. In the last or 2nd last room I lost 3 party members and it was a short(!) mission.
I upgraded them to lvl 2 weapos/armor/skills at least, but I guess lvl 3 weaps/armor/skills are a must.

Calcium

Banned
I have a few missions that are like "Kill Blah blah". Would I just stumble upon these encounters randomly in the dungeons or does a quest to go after them pop up eventually?

I have a few missions that are like "Kill Blah blah". Would I just stumble upon these encounters randomly in the dungeons or does a quest to go after them pop up eventually?
The bosses? You have to clear each dungeon a bunch of times. You'll see a progress bar on the embark screen.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

For a long dungeon, I plan on the game hitting me with 3 or 4 hunger procs, so that 12 to 16 food just for that, then I bring enough to eat the max while camping at least once, so I bring 24 food.

Keep in mind that the Warrens' curios will easily supply you with like 20 food, if you bring a few Medicinal Herbs with you.

DrArchon

You're right to focus on the guild and blacksmith. Those are easily the most important buildings you can upgrade. They're 100% necessary to survive later missions once you have guys that hit lvl 3. The blacksmith is the better of the two, because it helps with survival and damage dealing, plus you don't need portraits to upgrade it, which are a huge pain in the ass.

Of the stress reducing buildings, upgrade the abbey before the tavern. The abbey won't cause you to lose extra money like gambling and drinking will, plus like the blacksmith it also doesn't require portraits. Save the tavern for later when you've got the guild up to 100% already. The path I followed was Stage Coach -> Blacksmith -> Abbey -> Guild -> Sanatorium -> Tavern -> other stuff.

You're right to focus on the guild and blacksmith. Those are easily the most important buildings you can upgrade. They're 100% necessary to survive later missions once you have guys that hit lvl 3. The blacksmith is the better of the two, because it helps with survival and damage dealing, plus you don't need portraits to upgrade it, which are a huge pain in the ass.

Of the stress reducing buildings, upgrade the abbey before the tavern. The abbey won't cause you to lose extra money like gambling and drinking will, plus like the blacksmith it also doesn't require portraits. Save the tavern for later when you've got the guild up to 100% already. The path I followed was Stage Coach -> Blacksmith -> Abbey -> Guild -> Sanatorium -> Tavern -> other stuff.
Do you upgrade each one to 100% before moving on or are they in succession like level 2 coach, level 2 smith, etc?

DrArchon

Do you upgrade each one to 100% before moving on or are they in succession like level 2 coach, level 2 smith, etc?

I went to 100% for the stage coach because its upgrades are insanely vital. For the smith I didn't rush that simply because I didn't have enough high level guys to take advantage of the improved upgrades, though I did fully upgrade the furnace to decrease the costs. For the abbey I just got the meditation part up to 100% because it was the cheapest and thus what I used almost all the time and I worked on the other two parts at my leisure.

For the guild and smith you really should focus on decreasing the costs of the upgrades. It saves you a ton of cash in the long run.

I went to 100% for the stage coach because its upgrades are insanely vital. For the smith I didn't rush that simply because I didn't have enough high level guys to take advantage of the improved upgrades, though I did fully upgrade the furnace to decrease the costs. For the abbey I just got the meditation part up to 100% because it was the cheapest and thus what I used almost all the time and I worked on the other two parts at my leisure.

For the guild and smith you really should focus on decreasing the costs of the upgrades. It saves you a ton of cash in the long run.

That makes sense. I've pumped a decent bit in to the coach but have been kind of upgrading at random. I should get more focused.

kionedrik

IMO 100% the stage coach is not optimal because you're using important deeds that are needed to improve the blacksmith, which is the 2nd building you should 100%. As far as the coach go you should max the roster size line asap and leave the new recruits line at 4 per week, getting level 2 weapons and armor in between these upgrades.

Meanwhile use the busts to upgrade the abbey, I recommend the meditation line because it's the cheapest (no need to max it, just leave it at 2 slots with maxed discount), and the sanitarium at the same time (max the quirks line, get 2 slots in both activities and get some levels on the disease line).
All the portraits should be used in the guild which will be the 1st building you will 100%.

After having the guild and blacksmith at 100% you're set to end the game and don't really need to upgrade anything else, unless you're going after the achievements.

Calcium

Banned
So uh, my Highwayman will only gamble in town but he is a known cheat so he can't gamble. Is there anything I can do to remove stress for this guy or do I just need to get rid of him?

So uh, my Highwayman will only gamble in town but he is a known cheat so he can't gamble. Is there anything I can do to remove stress for this guy or do I just need to get rid of him?

You can use the sanitarium to remove negative traits, though if he's low level and doesn't have great positive traits you might be better off cutting him loose.

Calcium

Banned
You can use the sanitarium to remove negative traits, though if he's low level and doesn't have great positive traits you might be better off cutting him loose.

Well, he's only level 2 but I just started so he is one my best. I'll go ahead and treat him. Thanks.

Nothus

Well, he's only level 2 but I just started so he is one my best. I'll go ahead and treat him. Thanks.

Keep a close eye on the negative (and positive) quirks that your characters pick up during runs and also at the end of each one.
If you don't remove negative quirks soon after getting them, they can become set in and cost waaaay more to get rid of. Like, thousands more.

AsfaeksBR

This game is amazing, but just like XCOM I can't play long sessions because I care so much about every action that I get kinda stressed.

Just checked SteamSpy and it says that >700k people own this game. Was it in a bundle before? I don't remember.

Calcium

Banned
Wow, my first boss fight was not a good experience. The Hag fight is fucking bullshit. I spent the entire fight just trying to get my people out of the pot and I only hit her once. She killed my Hellion so I just got the hell out of there.Every other turn the Hag used the "Into the Pot" move. No idea how I'm going to beat that.

kionedrik

Just checked SteamSpy and it says that >700k people own this game. Was it in a bundle before? I don't remember.

It had a relatively high profile Kickstarter (where I personally got it), the early access release had some hype and it was 10$ during the winter sale.

Wow, my first boss fight was not a good experience. The Hag fight is fucking bullshit. I spent the entire fight just trying to get my people out of the pot and I only hit her once. She killed my Hellion so I just got the hell out of there.Every other turn the Hag used the "Into the Pot" move. No idea how I'm going to beat that.

That move is dodgeable... I found that focusing her down with big hitters and mark might be the best strat and just forget about whoever is in the pot.

edit: you also started by going after what is arguably one of the hardest bosses in the game...

Honome

Game is top quality, can't wait to double dip it when it's out on PS4. Is the vita version still being made? This game is perfect for a handheld.

DrArchon

Remember that guys can't die from being boiled in the pot. Once they hit death's door they get thrown out. As long as you keep healing them right after they come out and getting occasionally lucky with death's door blows you can ignore the pot for the most part.

Grave Robbers are super helpful in that fight too. High dodge means they get thrown in less often, they can move around and fight from most positions meaning when your lineup gets thrown out of wack they won't suffer too much, and they can use flashing daggers to attack both the pot and the hag. Jesters have a lot of the same benefits as well, though you can't bleed the pot so they aren't quite as good at saving dudes from it.

She's definitely a tough one. I fought the champion version and ended up with 3 people on death's door and one pretty close to it. Really close calls pretty much every time I've fought her.

Remember that guys can't die from being boiled in the pot. Once they hit death's door they get thrown out. As long as you keep healing them right after they come out and getting occasionally lucky with death's door blows you can ignore the pot for the most part.

Grave Robbers are super helpful in that fight too. High dodge means they get thrown in less often, they can move around and fight from most positions meaning when your lineup gets thrown out of wack they won't suffer too much, and they can use flashing daggers to attack both the pot and the hag. Jesters have a lot of the same benefits as well, though you can't bleed the pot so they aren't quite as good at saving dudes from it.

She's definitely a tough one. I fought the champion version and ended up with 3 people on death's door and one pretty close to it. Really close calls pretty much every time I've fought her.

I bring a Vestal for group heal and just pound her with Arbys (god I love that class) and whatever for 4th as the Arbys can heal if they're in 3/4.

This game goes from challenging as hell but fun to dumb as hell. The beginner dungeons are almost too easy with a good party composition, as long as you play your cards right. Hardly lost anyone. Then you get to level 5 and 6 dungeons, and everything crits you all the time. I just had to retreat from a level 5 because first battle almost wiped my whole party---who are all level 6 with max equipment. I went back in and the FIRST battle, FIRST attack crit my Hellion to no life.

Fuck this. I've started backing up my local save to cheese it if I lose anyone. I just want the crap beaten so I can mark it off the list at this point.

Calcium

Banned
Just beat the hell out of the Necromancer. Now that felt like a good boss fight, not cheap at all like the Hag.

K.Jack

This game goes from challenging as hell but fun to dumb as hell. The beginner dungeons are almost too easy with a good party composition, as long as you play your cards right. Hardly lost anyone. Then you get to level 5 and 6 dungeons, and everything crits you all the time. I just had to retreat from a level 5 because first battle almost wiped my whole party---who are all level 6 with max equipment. I went back in and the FIRST battle, FIRST attack crit my Hellion to no life.

Fuck this. I've started backing up my local save to cheese it if I lose anyone. I just want the crap beaten so I can mark it off the list at this point.

Turn off the enemy crit scaling. It's senseless to have it on while their critt chances are so broken and high.

Calcium

Banned
Any classes I should avoid?

My main party right now consists of Vestal, Arbalest, Highwayman and Crusader. Seems to be working fairly well, but I'm thinking I'll switch a Jester in for the Highwayman when it gets leveled.

ArjanN

It had a relatively high profile Kickstarter (where I personally got it), the early access release had some hype and it was 10$ during the winter sale.

That move is dodgeable... I found that focusing her down with big hitters and mark might be the best strat and just forget about whoever is in the pot.

edit: you also started by going after what is arguably one of the hardest bosses in the game...

The hag is like the easiest boss IMO. :p

Bring characters that can all hit the back rows and ignore the character being put in the pot, just do as much damage as you can to her directly.

All the bosses are basically puzzle setups that seem much harder than they are until you know what the gimmick is.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Hag is super easy (at least on green)
Just bring a setup that can reliably hit 3th-4th place.

That just means, practically, no crusaders and no lepers. And no arby in the 3rd place.
It's also the place where you should realize that 2x melee-only (crusaders and lepers) is a bad, bad idea, and that there's no shame in getting a BH\hound in the 2nd slot.
Arby \ BH \ Hound \ Hellion is one of many ways.

K.Jack

So I got a Profane Scroll, which massively buffs a second row Vestal, something I've never considered possible. I decided to test it out under the fire of my first attempt at eliminating the Fulminating Prophet (Veteran).

Ran an Occulist/Grave Robber/Vestal/Crusader party. I have to say, it really worked out. We walked through every fight one the way to the boss room, and I made an absolute joke of the Prophet, just hitting him with her Hand of Light and the Occ's Weakening Curse every turn. His Rubble Rain was going 5 or less damage, so I just ignored him and took out the pews first.

Profane Scroll stats are +15% DMG, +30% Debuff Skill Chance, +10% PROT in postion 2, +33% Heals in position 2, +15% Stress Daamage. I also gave her the Sacred Scroll, which gives an additional +33% to heals, -10% Stress, -30% Stun chance (doesn't matter in position 2) and -3 speed. Divine Comfort was critting the entire party for 15+ health, was hilarious.

tl;dr - something I never thought would work turned out pretty amazing.

Any classes I should avoid?

My main party right now consists of Vestal, Arbalest, Highwayman and Crusader. Seems to be working fairly well, but I'm thinking I'll switch a Jester in for the Highwayman when it gets leveled.

Jester in rank 2 is going to severely weaken your party, imo, as he can't use his buff or stress heal, and he isn't much of a front line damage dealer either.

Bounty Hunter or Houndmaster makes much more sense for that slot.

You're my hero
It makes the game feel much more fair, yet still difficult. Enemies one shotting full health, max upgrade heroes is just straight bullshit.

Calcium

Banned
Jester in rank 2 is going to severely weaken your party, imo, as he can't use his buff or stress heal, and he isn't much of a front line damage dealer either.

Bounty Hunter or Houndmaster makes much more sense for that slot.

Okay, thanks. I'll keep the Jester for the "B Squad" and start leveling my Bounty Hunter.

kionedrik

The hag is like the easiest boss IMO. :p

Hag is super easy (at least on green)
Just bring a setup that can reliably hit 3th-4th place.

Not going to argue with both of you on this point. She can be easy once you know what to do but for first timers she may be the hardest boss (at least of all the initial 4). You can pretty much brute-force your way past all the other bosses but not this one.

Arby \ BH \ Hound \ Hellion is one of many ways.

I personally like arbalest - occultist - houndmaster - hellion better. BH can't take advantage of the mark, that's why I don't like to use him in this fight. She also doesn't have PROT so the occultist mark is better in this fight.

Nheco

Two quick questions:

1. What is in your opinion the best class?

2. Why do you think that's the Occultist?

This guy controls, heal and nerf and can delivery some direct damage when needed. Also, has some great exclusive trinkets, like Demon’s Cauldron. Best Class by a long shot.

Im rite?

DrArchon

Occultist is stupid awesome, as long as you already have damage dealers and some healing. Arba/Occ/Aba/MaA is my jam!

I don't even both with damage stuff on any Occultist. Just heal, mark, weaken, and pull. Fun stuff to fuck around with the enemy team. Too bad there aren't a lot of great Occultist specific trinkets to abuse. I'm not a fan of the very rare cauldron. Would rather throw on stuff like a Cleansing Crystal and an Ancestor's Lantern.

Favorite classes are still the Bounty Hunter and the Abomination though.

jblank83

In a game like Darkest Dungeon there is no such thing. Runs are team based with each member contributing to survivability, offense, and utility. Vestal, Hellion, even Jester have their roles.

Occultist is pretty awesome. Abyssal Artillery is great. Wyrd Reconstruction is viable healing, if unreliable. Stab is pretty great for a 3rd rank character. And Weakening Curse is super useful on some bosses.

kionedrik

If by "best" you mean the most versatile the answer is easy: Houndmaster. That guy can do everything, can be in any position and be effective.

He is not the best damage dealer, Hellion, BH and GR beat him there;
He is not the best stress healer, Jester and Crusader are objectively better;
He has a great stun, although it is limited to the 2 front positions, so you might find a more reliable stunner elsewhere;
He's part of a restrict group of markers;
He has a self-heal.
He is the "best" class because he's the only one that's capable of doing all those things at the same time.

explodet

A 4 Houndmaster party was surprisingly viable.
Takes up a lot of inventory space, though!

Two things I don't like about the Occultist is the RNG heal (0 heals and a bleed? GTFO) and some pretty weak camping skills.

DrArchon

Houndmasters are incredible, but only really in the Weald and Warrens were you take full advantage of that bleed and bonus damage against beasts. They're just really good every where else. Plus losing the slot for dog treats isn't great, even if they are killer against bosses. I wish I could fine one of their rare trinkets though. I'm over 150 weeks in and haven't seen a single one. Anyone know what it does? If it's not much I won't fret and keep throwing on Ancestor's trinkets and +dodge ones.

Position 2 Houndmaster is my favorite. Just stun the front and attack the back. Not many classes that can pull that off from that far up the line.

I'm loving this game. I'm about 20 hours in killed all first iterations of the bosses and have 9 people in the grave yard.

I love the varied teams you can make. I don't know about what other people are doing because I have been playing blind up till now but I don't pick teams on the fly. I have 4 or 5 teams set up in my list that work well together and alternate which team I use. Going well so far.

For this fight I used my rather odd ball but seems really effect team of 2 abominations, then an occultist and lastly a hound master. Have some damage on the pot but most damage on the hag.

But this teams works well for most encounters so far. The abom at the front starts by mutating and just go all out damage / tank. The abom in stage 2 is blight and stun master. The occtist has a great heal if you make everyone have good bleed resist and has some good utility / damage and the hound master can attack / bleed any enemy as well as supply stress relief to counter the abom morphing.

The other pluses are that all characters have self healing with the occultist also able to heal others. All but the occultist have stress healing. If my front abom gets in trouble I can return to human form which heals him then can ether just heal every turn allowing him to tank damage and relieve stress or switch him with the abom behind him and have them trade roles.

Its been working really well so far and the team is all lvl 4 now I think.

I have another lower level set up that is very simar but with an occultist at the back and a plague Dr instead of hound master. It trades out team stress relief and bleed for blight and blight/bleed removal. It works but I would say not quite as well.

It's also great that blight and bleed stack so for longer fights it can be super powerful.

The hardest boss so far was the cannon team one which is the only one I had to back out of the first time so far. Got it on second go using a helion to one shot kill the dude with the torch each turn.

Two quick questions:

This guy controls, heal and nerf and can delivery some direct damage when needed. Also, has some great exclusive trinkets, like Demon’s Cauldron. Best Class by a long shot.

Im rite?

Occultist is good but dat feel when he heals for 0 and bleed procs.

Calcium

Banned
Just went back to visit the Hag and completely owned her this time. You guys were right, it's a pretty easy fight if you know what you are doing. I went in with a Vestal, Arbalest, Bounty Hunter and Hellion. She threw the Bounty Hunter in the pot and everyone else just wailed on her.

ArjanN

Just went back to visit the Hag and completely owned her this time. You guys were right, it's a pretty easy fight if you know what you are doing. I went in with a Vestal, Arbalest, Bounty Hunter and Hellion. She threw the Bounty Hunter in the pot and everyone else just wailed on her.

Yeah, most of the bossfights are like that in that you might luck out, but most likely you're going to get wrecked the first time before you figure out what the trick is.

K.Jack

Okay, thanks. I'll keep the Jester for the "B Squad" and start leveling my Bounty Hunter.

Jester is great at stacking bleed. An Occ/Jester/Hound/Hellion team will wreck the lower level Weald and Warrens runs.

DrArchon

I'm officially giving up on Darkest Dungeon. You beat me. I can't take any more of this. But don't for a second think this was a fair victory. This was simply RNG abuse and you know it. No amount of strategy on my part could've saved me.

Did my first ever run of the Darkest Dungeon. Knew what I was getting in for thanks to the GB quick look, so I came prepared. I'm sorry, but I couldn't buy enough bandages for what the game was asking of me. Every single attack that could bleed did bleed, every stress damage attack hit for max stress, every debuff proc'd successfully. My team never crit, never dodged, never went virtuous, never surprised the enemy. Nothing. The enemy had all the crits, all the extra effect procs. Every single turn ended with my abomination stacked with 6 turns worth of 18 bleed damage. I could've had infinite bandages and nothing would've been able to save him. My highwayman missed multiple shots in a row against enemies that didn't really have that high a dodge stat. My Jester missed bleed procs against enemies without a high resistance to it. It was RNG horeshit.

I'm done. I can't do this. I have the best trinkets, my teams are all full of lvl 6 guys. They don't have a bunch of bad quirks, and the good quirks are about as good as can be expected. But they way I see it, if the game wants me to lose, then there's nothing I can do about it. I'm going to go play other games now, and stop wasting my time with one that doesn't even give me the chance to win. Maybe I'll come back, but all I have left is the Darkest Dungeon itself, and from my point of view it can't be done.

Top Bottom