• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders 2 new info! [one month away from release]

Maffis

I've only seen PC footage, has there been any PS3 footage? I'm kinda nervous about preordering that version.

You shouldn't be. For the first 1, the ps3 version was better than the 360 version until they patched it and they became equal. Obviously the PC version will be the best, but the PS3 version will be good enough.

You can't do anything but be honored either way! =P

You're telling me! I'm so excited for the game to come out, and I've played it thousands upon thousands of hours! The community response and general hype for Darksiders 2 is amazing. Just one of the many reasons we loved working on the game.

You guys have really crafted a wonderful game. DS was a definite hit in my book, it hits all the right areas. From what I can tell about DS 2 it's just getting better and hopefull we will see more of this story in the future. Anxiously awaiting release day!

ironcreed

Banned
You shouldn't be. For the first 1, the ps3 version was better than the 360 version until they patched it and they became equal. Obviously the PC version will be the best, but the PS3 version will be good enough.

Yeah, I played the first one on PS3 and it was great. Pre-ordered this one for PS3 as well and I'm sure it will be fine.

ironcreed

Banned
New preview.

"It’s not just that there didn’t seem to be any reason to stop; it’s that Darksiders II is huge. The map I reached at the preview event is just one of four worlds, each of which, according to Vigil, is the size of the original Darksiders. The very first activity the player performs as War’s brother Death is not to bash something up but to get on a horse and ride down a long winding path admiring the grandiose scenery and orchestral soundtrack. Not only does this immediately set the tone for what turns out to be a high-fantasy feeling very distinct from the first game’s atmosphere, it also gets you used to the idea of scale before you have to look at the overmap and have some kind of panic attack."

"When I did get around to looking at the map of the first true world, The Forge Lands, it was after exploring the first town hub – a dauntingly large area in and of itself – and passing through a short navigational segment between me an the open plains. And I do mean open. Directly opposite me, sprawled between cliffs, was some sort of enormous tentacley eyeball thing which later research tells me was a form of Corruption, blocking my path to the Tree of Life, which connects the four realms. Apart from this obvious end goal, the pleasantly green landscape just spread out in front of me, dotted by paths snaking off in six directions."

The rest:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/30/dust-to-dust-darksiders-ii-finds-its-spirit-animal/

Oh shit didnt even realize how close it was.

1057988-two_weeks_image_super.jpg

Gunsmithx

New preview.

"It’s not just that there didn’t seem to be any reason to stop; it’s that Darksiders II is huge. The map I reached at the preview event is just one of four worlds, each of which, according to Vigil, is the size of the original Darksiders. The very first activity the player performs as War’s brother Death is not to bash something up but to get on a horse and ride down a long winding path admiring the grandiose scenery and orchestral soundtrack. Not only does this immediately set the tone for what turns out to be a high-fantasy feeling very distinct from the first game’s atmosphere, it also gets you used to the idea of scale before you have to look at the overmap and have some kind of panic attack."

"When I did get around to looking at the map of the first true world, The Forge Lands, it was after exploring the first town hub – a dauntingly large area in and of itself – and passing through a short navigational segment between me an the open plains. And I do mean open. Directly opposite me, sprawled between cliffs, was some sort of enormous tentacley eyeball thing which later research tells me was a form of Corruption, blocking my path to the Tree of Life, which connects the four realms. Apart from this obvious end goal, the pleasantly green landscape just spread out in front of me, dotted by paths snaking off in six directions."

The rest:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/30/dust-to-dust-darksiders-ii-finds-its-spirit-animal/

That sounds amazing, I need to step up my xenoblade run through to make sure I'm ready when this drops, so excited to play this.

Yu Narukami

New preview.

The rest:

I hope you don't get to reach level 20 to soon in the first playthrough.

I'm burning through Darksiders 1 at the moment in anticipation of this and I just beat Grievous. I played it closer to release but I had only made it a little ways past Tiamat before something happened to my save and I never got around to finishing it. Getting hyped!

Maffis

Really hoping that combo vid gets made. So hyped for this game. There's always 1 game every year or so I get completely obsessed about, and both this year and 2010 has been a Darksider title :p

Btw, does anyone here know if I pre-order from GMG, will I get the game on the 14th or the European release date on the 21th? I'm Swedish, but the site says the release date is the 14th.

Also, bonus question to both tragic and hdn, seeing as they both post here. What is the origin of the name 'Darksiders'?

forrest

formerly nacire
Hdn or Tragic, I'm not sure if you guys have the details or not, but will all of the pre-order bonuses be available at some point as DLC? I'm a bit of a completionist when it comes to my favorite franchises and I would hate to think I missed some assets because I didn't preorder the game at 5 different retailers.

Megasoum

Banned
Hdn or Tragic, I'm not sure if you guys have the details or not, but will all of the pre-order bonuses be available at some point as DLC? I'm a bit of a completionist when it comes to my favorite franchises and I would hate to think I missed some assets because I didn't preorder the game at 5 different retailers.

I'm pretty sure that one of them (Hdn I think) said so earlier in this thread that they would be available at a later date.

Daante

Just pre ordered this on steam where you also get the "Arguls Tomb" DLC expansion included plus 2 weapons.

Have managed to stay away from spoiling the game too much, i am gonna continue to stay media black out! . Eventually i will watch that combo video Tragic talked about though.. :p

I really hope this games sells "enough" so:

1. Vigil gets the chance to do number 3 in the series
2. More developers realize that there is a market thats not COD, BF3 and Wow.
3. More developers realize that well crafted SINGLE PLAYER GAMES WITHOUT CO-OP CAN BE AWESOME.

My beefy HTPC is ready, shame that i we in Europe have to wait a little longer though.

On man, I didn't even know tragic was part of the team...and then all this amazing info on the combat system and it's depth.

Who knew the best action game of the year would come from the West, right here in Texas, even?

_machine

Finally pre-ordered the game through GMG, now just need a way to get through the wait. The launch date isn't really ideal though; GW2 will be just days away after the launch, but thankfully I should have time to dedicate to both of them.

Gav47

It looks like the Collectors edition is actually going to be rare for this game, it seems to be sold old in the US.

Finally pre-ordered the game through GMG, now just need a way to get through the wait. The launch date isn't really ideal though; GW2 will be just days away after the launch, but thankfully I should have time to dedicate to both of them.

My strategy is to get Darksiders II and play through that thoroughly, while staving off the GW2 desire. Two of my good friends are getting GW2 on release date, so I'll be able to know if its any good or not, or if the servers are stable, by the time I'm done with Darksiders II.

Does anyone know if you can pre-load Darksiders II?

DieH@rd

Banned
Does anyone know if you can pre-load Darksiders II?

Steam preload is not yet activated.

Just a reminder for PSN+ users, your FREE copy of Darksiders 1 will be removed from free Games Catalogue in 2 weeks time [Aug 15]. Just snatch it once, and it will became permanently binded to your account and you will be able to play it whenever you like [as long you maintain your PSN+ subscription].

tragic

Developer
Really hoping that combo vid gets made. So hyped for this game. There's always 1 game every year or so I get completely obsessed about, and both this year and 2010 has been a Darksider title :p

Really glad you are excited. I'll be 100% honest with you... if I was still just a fan of Darksiders and Vigil, and not an employee, I would be feeling exactly the same way. In fact, the last trailer "Death Comes For All" had everyone in the office pumped up. It was epic... and remember, we've seen everything in this game 100's of times!

Also, bonus question to both tragic and hdn, seeing as they both post here. What is the origin of the name 'Darksiders'?

Haydn will have to answer that one.

I'm pretty sure that one of them (Hdn I think) said so earlier in this thread that they would be available at a later date.

Also pretty sure this is correct.

Tragic, insert into a que one DLC mission that will force us and learn us how to use exotic combos. :D

Well, one of the things we really focused on was significantly increasing the depth of the combat system without actually requiring the majority of it. At it's core, the combat in Darksiders 2 is "stick and move" - attack until you have to move, then move! But beyond that, it's really about creativity and timing. Sure, you can beat the game with "stick and move" but why not try "stick, stick, launch, cancel, stick, move, charge, grip, stick, stick, delay, stick, move, stick, execute?"

Also, the aforementioned Crucible is a great place to hone your skills. You can make it as easy or as challenging as you want (just don't forget to bring low-rank gear if you really want to make your combos long!). More (official) details on The Crucible should be coming soon.

DieH@rd

Banned

Joe Madueira answered that question in a recent interview with loltaku.
http://kotaku.com/5929162/the-heavy+metal-art-of-darksiders-ii?tag=darksiders

Basically the name stuck because it was awesome, and they wanted a name that defines entire universe and its characters with a simple and memorable term. Nobody in the game universe will ever mention "darksiders".

abrack08

Steam preload is not yet activated.

Just a reminder for PSN+ users, your FREE copy of Darksiders 1 will be removed from free Games Catalogue in 2 weeks time [Aug 15]. Just snatch it once, and it will became permanently binded to your account and you will be able to play it whenever you like [as long you maintain your PSN+ subscription].

Wait, Darksiders is free for PS+? Please tell me that's not just Europe...

Top Bottom