• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders 2 new info! [one month away from release]

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Couldn't really tell from the giant bomb preview, but I hope that PC version get high res textures or at least the option to download a pack shortly after the game is released.

Look at the screenshots on the first post. That's what we are getting. I don't see the reason for complaint

TreIII

Oh yeah, sweet! Glad to see you here.

As I mentioned on the official forums, we all love Bayo/DMC at Vigil. One of my personal goals was to recreate the feeling of freedom you get in those games in regards to combo creation but to make sure the game still felt like Darksiders. I'm proud of the end result and I'm very interested to see what the fans have to say.

I'll admit. Darksiders 2 was on my "to get later on list"...until I saw that GB preview vid. Between that and knowing your name is in charge of the battle system, however? This has now become a Day 1 purchase. And I've gotten a few of my Bayo/DMC friends interested in this, too!

Good to know I won't have to wait til 2013 to get my new stylish action fix. Looking forward to this!

Smash88

Banned
@Tragic, how is the PC port? I haven't really delved too much into Darksiders, so I'm curious as someone who is trying to go into blackout mode for pretty much everything.

Is there anything special for the PC? DX11, controls, fov, etc...?

Sorry if this has been answered already.

tragic

Developer
@Tragic, how is the PC port? I haven't really delved too much into Darksiders, so I'm curious as someone who is trying to go into blackout mode for pretty much everything.

Is there anything special for the PC? DX11, controls, fov, etc...?

Sorry if this has been answered already.

As far as PC options go, I honestly cannot remember. I'll have to ask. Kinda funny seeing as I played it on PC every day for a year and a half (with a 360 controller).

Gbraga

Are we going to have Crossblade or something with the same function combatwise? I don't know if it would be that useful now that you can cancel between weapons without it, but having more options is never a bad thing. This way you could reset your crossovers mid combo to do more crazy stuff and stay longer in the air, I guess.

Oh yeah, sweet! Glad to see you here.

As I mentioned on the official forums, we all love Bayo/DMC at Vigil. One of my personal goals was to recreate the feeling of freedom you get in those games in regards to combo creation but to make sure the game still felt like Darksiders. I'm proud of the end result and I'm very interested to see what the fans have to say.

HELL FUCK YEAH!!!

tragic

Developer
Are we going to have Crossblade or something with the same function combatwise? I don't know if it would be that useful now that you can cancel between weapons without it, but having more options is never a bad thing. This way you could reset your crossovers mid combo to do more crazy stuff and stay longer in the air, I guess.

Someone asked something similar earlier.

The short answer is: Not intentionally (much like Crossblade Canceling wasn't intentional).

The long answer: No, BUT, there are various ways to get a similar effect (so in a way, Yes). We tried hard to remove as many exploits as possible because traversal is even more important this time around. Crossblade Cancel (in its original form) would totally wreak havoc on many of our puzzles! We knew, however, that players loved the freedom it gave for creating combos so we definitely implemented a few alternate ways to cancel out of your move but keep comboing.

Examples:

Dashing (first and second) extend the time in which you have to combo the next hit. You can actually hit, then dash, then dash again, then hit, and it will still count as a combo. We made this part lenient because dodging is a huge part of combat this time.

Also, if you Dash/Evade, and hit a button while holding forward, you will do the designated Dash move. But, if you go neutral on the stick immediately after the Dash/Evade, you will instead do the normal attack (as if you were just pressing X or Y while neutral). We did this so you can dash and hit X or Y at ANY POINT during the dash (from the first frame to the last) and still get your Dash-specific move out, while still having access to your basic attacks if you DON'T want to use the dash attack.

In addition, using the Buckler (one of the Melee weapons), you can charge-cancel almost any move. While you can do this with ANY weapon (Heavy or Melee), the Buckler serves your intent better because of its charge functionality.

Canceling with a Gear item also works. Since Deathgrip recovers the moment the hand closes (on whiff), or retracts (on hit), you can use it to cancel out of moves. That being said, unless you are actually gripping an enemy, it's more beneficial to just dodge/evade.

There aren't many moves in the game that can't be evade-cancelled (or charge cancelled, or gear cancelled, or Wrath cancelled, or Reaper cancelled, or even horse-cancelled!) so finding ways to link things together in unique ways is really open-ended. One of my absolute favorite starters in the game is Scythe > Heavy Crossover (Cyclone) because it skips the initial windup of the first Heavy Strike and goes right into a Heavy 360 Strike. You can also do Scythe x2 - Heavy Crossover, or Scythe x3 - Crossover, or any of the delay Scythe chains into Crossover. Heck, you can even do the Heavy Crossover directly after the Dash Scythe (Harvester Revenge - the one in videos where Death tosses his Scythe in front of his body and follows it).

You can do things as basic as Dash Scythe (Harvester Revenge) - Cyclone - Dash Cancel Harvester Revenge - Cyclone... (repeat...)

... to Scythe x3 - Cyclone - Flip Kick Cancel (both you and enemy go into air), Meteor Strike (airdash down to the ground), juggle with basic Scythe x1 - Dash Cancel into Harvester Revenge - Cyclone - Hilt Strike (Y after Cyclone), Dual Upper (focus + back + X) to launch the enemy overhead behind Death - Dash Cancel forward (AWAY from enemy), Deathgrip them back to you, normal jump (to meet them in the air), X,X,X (to slam them back to the ground - another Scythe x1 - Dash Cancel into Painbringer (Dash Heavy) which bounces them off the ground, full Scythe Combo (to the knockback finisher) - cancel the recovery into Teleport Slash (to both hit AND get close again), to Execute.

The system is pretty free-form so while we don't have the block button from Darksiders (or Crossblade Cancelling), you should have no problem making Death look good!

Gbraga

WOW, that was a fantastic answer! Thank you so much!

So, basically I could do a series of "first hits" (first of the chain, that is) by dash cancelling it and cancelling the dash in the first frames by putting the analog stick back to neutral and hitting a button? I can see this getting some crazy fast stuff.

It's also really awesome of you to admit the crossblade cancelling was not intentional but you embraced it as a feature and tried to give the player even more freedom as this "glitch" gave in the first game.

It's really a shame that people don't acknowledge the combat in Darksiders just because they're too lazy to experiment with free-form combat instead of a dial-a-combo kind of game. So they just claim it as "mashy". As a Devil May Cry fan, I really appreciate what you did and are doing.

After reading about The Crucible, I NEED THIS GAME.

The only thing I would ask would be more combat freedom in the "badass form", I never really liked War's because it really limited the combat, while I feel "a Devil Trigger" should expand your combat options.

tragic

Developer
WOW, that was a fantastic answer! Thank you so much!

So, basically I could do a series of "first hits" (first of the chain, that is) by dash cancelling it and cancelling the dash in the first frames by putting the analog stick back to neutral and hitting a button? I can see this getting some crazy fast stuff.

You bring up a good question. There is actually a minimum cancel time on the dash when using a neutral attack (cancellling dash/evade into a basic Scythe or Heavy or Melee attack). This is to prevent Scythe - Dash - Scythe - Dash - Scythe from looking funny (just a series of Scythe Combo 1's in a row). You can still do it, and it will still combo, but there are a few required frames of animation before it will come out. HOWEVER, the Harvester Revenge (Dash Scythe) can come out on the very first frame. You can do it so fast that you never even see the dash begin.

It's also really awesome of you to admit the crossblade cancelling was not intentional but you embraced it as a feature and tried to give the player even more freedom as this "glitch" gave in the first game.

Anything that let's you fly around the world is probably not intentional (doh!)... but at the same time, we noticed how much players liked using it for combo videos. Like many unintentional features in other games - specifically fighting games - Crossblade Canceling became an integral part of doing DS1 combos. Since we didn't want to reduce depth (intentional or not), we thought up other ways to promote intentional canceling and linking and all those other nifty techniques.

It's really a shame that people don't acknowledge the combat in Darksiders just because they're too lazy to experiment with free-form combat instead of a dial-a-combo kind of game. So they just claim it as "mashy". As a Devil May Cry fan, I really appreciate what you did and are doing.

One of the things that we are incredibly proud of at Vigil is our fanbase. You all are the reason that the first game did as well as it did. Sure, the original team made a fantastic game (IMO!), but it was the positive word of mouth from the fans that truly helped it succeed. Hopefully it will continue with Darksiders 2, and you all can get the word out about combat, puzzles, bosses, traversal, loot, skill trees, or anything else you really like.

After reading about The Crucible, I NEED THIS GAME.

I'm not sure how much I can actually talk about The Crucible just yet (even though the cat is out of the bag). But, I CAN tell you that it was designed as a love letter to the fans of combat games, and as a direct response to the requests of fans of the first game.

The only thing I would ask would be more combat freedom in the "badass form", I never really liked War's because it really limited the combat, while I feel "a Devil Trigger" should expand your combat options.

While not exactly the same as Devil Bringer, Death's Reaper Form is pretty badass in its own right! Not only can you cancel out of any ground attack at any time (assuming you have Reaper Meter), the actual Reaper can dash like Death himself. This makes it pretty vicious... because no one can truly escape Death! (That sounded kinda poetic!)

Gbraga

You bring up a good question. There is actually a minimum cancel time on the dash when using a neutral attack (cancellling dash/evade into a basic Scythe or Heavy or Melee attack). This is to prevent Scythe - Dash - Scythe - Dash - Scythe from looking funny (just a series of Scythe Combo 1's in a row). You can still do it, and it will still combo, but there are a few required frames of animation before it will come out. HOWEVER, the Harvester Revenge (Dash Scythe) can come out on the very first frame. You can do it so fast that you never even see the dash begin.
Oh man :(

I liked the funny looking Aerial Rave JC Aerial Rave JC Aerial Rave in DMC lol

Will it at least still be fast enough to be a viable option to reset the chain mid-combo? And by the way, can you air-dash? Probably been answered before though.

Anything that let's you fly around the world is probably not intentional (doh!)... but at the same time, we noticed how much players liked using it for combo videos. Like many unintentional features in other games - specifically fighting games - Crossblade Canceling became an integral part of doing DS1 combos. Since we didn't want to reduce depth (intentional or not), we thought up other ways to promote intentional canceling and linking and all those other nifty techniques.
Well, I can see that it would really break the game outside of combat, and being a well thought cancelling mechanic will probably add even more possibilities (even the not intentional ones) to the combat, so it's most likely a positive change.

One of the things that we are incredibly proud of at Vigil is our fanbase. You all are the reason that the first game did as well as it did. Sure, the original team made a fantastic game (IMO!), but it was the positive word of mouth from the fans that truly helped it succeed. Hopefully it will continue with Darksiders 2, and you all can get the word out about combat, puzzles, bosses, traversal, loot, skill trees, or anything else you really like.
Nah bro it's a generic and overrated god of war clone
A16XO.png

I'm not sure how much I can actually talk about The Crucible just yet (even though the cat is out of the bag). But, I CAN tell you that it was designed as a love letter to the fans of combat games, and as a direct response to the requests of fans of the first game.
OH BOY

While not exactly the same as Devil Bringer, Death's Reaper Form is pretty badass in its own right! Not only can you cancel out of any ground attack at any time (assuming you have Reaper Meter), the actual Reaper can dash like Death himself. This makes it pretty vicious... because no one can truly escape Death! (That sounded kinda poetic!)
OOOOOH BOOOOOOOOOOY

And it does sound poetic, we should just call dash cancelling "death cancelling"

tragic

Developer
Oh man :(

I liked the funny looking Aerial Rave JC Aerial Rave JC Aerial Rave in DMC lol

Will it at least still be fast enough to be a viable option to reset the chain mid-combo? And by the way, can you air-dash? Probably been answered before though.

Absolutely. Dashing out of any move intro neutral Scythe will combo (assuming the combo didn't wear off before you dashed!). Less-likely with dash into Heavy as the first hit of the Heavy weapon strike is relatively slow. Typically, though, you'd want to either dash cancel into basic Scythe, Harvester Revenge (the Scythe-specific dash attack), or either Heavy/Melee-specific dash-attack (Painbringer/Godfist respectively).

Well, I can see that it would really break the game outside of combat, and being a well thought cancelling mechanic will probably add even more possibilities (even the not intentional ones) to the combat, so it's most likely a positive change.

Definitely. I think you guys and gals will be more than happy with the options available. There's a lot to do!

YES!

Once I get the all-clear, I (or hdn) would be glad to go over the details of The Crucible! Also, I'd really like to showcase some more of the combat mechanics that we've been talking about. I'll see what hdn and I can do in the next week. =)

Gbraga

I'll look forward to it, I hope you get the green light for the "combo video" as well!

It was very nice of you to answer our questions, even though the game is so close to be released and you could just say something like "you can check it out in a few weeks ;)" and people would still be happy.

tragic

Developer
If only Vigil recognized the efforts of |OT| team and send us some Darksiders II swag. :D :D :D

Oh, it's recognized! We've been fans of NeoGAF for a long time (much longer than the join date suggests). The only thing I can promise is that I'll talk to some people tomorrow =).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Tragic how do you feel when people compare the combat to God of War instead of DMC :p

edit: Oh wait you sorta answered that XD sorry

I'm glad HDN and Tragic are feeding info, it's making my pre-release hype all the more crazy

tragic

Developer
Tragic how do you feel when people compare the combat to God of War instead of DMC :p

edit: Oh wait you sorta answered that XD sorry

You can't do anything but be honored either way! =P

I'm glad HDN and Tragic are feeding info, it's making my pre-release hype all the more crazy

You're telling me! I'm so excited for the game to come out, and I've played it thousands upon thousands of hours! The community response and general hype for Darksiders 2 is amazing. Just one of the many reasons we loved working on the game.

Gunsmithx

The hype keeps building!

Much thanks to tragic for coming and giving even more info, I just love it when devs take part in the community, always makes me feel closer to the final product. I must say that the combat looks even better and deeper then what I thought it would be and I can't wait to dig into it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You're telling me! I'm so excited for the game to come out, and I've played it thousands upon thousands of hours! The community response and general hype for Darksiders 2 is amazing. Just one of the many reasons we loved working on the game.

I'm jealous x.x/ I can't wait to get to spend at least a single hour on this >.< I beat the first one about 6 times and with how customizable this one is *foams at mouth*

Tobe

wait so please bare with me, you are telling me i can feel like im playing bayo with ds2? combat wise can i call it bayosiders 2? darknetta2? ive played dmc4 this past week to see if i can feel like playing bayo again but it do shit to me.

the video looks awesome i just need some reaffirmation on this.

tragic

Developer
wait so please bare with me, you are telling me i can feel like im playing bayo with ds2? combat wise can i call it bayosiders 2? darknetta2? ive played dmc4 this past week to see if i can feel like playing bayo again but it do shit to me.

the video looks awesome i just need some reaffirmation on this.

It will feel like Darksiders 2 =).

DieH@rd

Banned
New Darksiders II video with little new footage. It clearly showed that we can cheaply buy RESPEC from Vulgrim, and also chests that contain random high grade loot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qow4usTIDVk

If only Vigil recognized the efforts of |OT| team and send us some Darksiders II swag. :D :D :D

Oh, it's recognized! We've been fans of NeoGAF for a long time (much longer than the join date suggests). The only thing I can promise is that I'll talk to some people tomorrow =).
Thanks for your trouble, but the only thing I need... is to eliminate 1 week European delay. :D And that ain't gonna happen.

BTW people, shall we ban story spoilers in OT for some time [US launch + 2 weeks]?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
BTW people, shall we ban story spoilers in OT for some time [US launch + 2 weeks]?

Yes no story spoilers, one of the reasons Im hype for this is the story. I'd be mad if shit got ruined for me *even though im beating in probably 4 days or less after I get it lol yay for not having a life*

Spoilers really can really kill the urge to drive on for a lot of people. Why work to get further when you know whats gonna happen already :p

sephi22

Wait.. The combat designer on this is Tragic?
'Tragic the Gathering' Tragic? Pre-release Marvel 3 combos Tragic? 'Justin Wong has been eliminaaaateeeed' EVO announcer Tragic?

Shieeeet. I was going to buy this game anyway, but now I'm going to pester all my Fighting game friends till they buy it too.

Hindle

Banned
Tragic, is the game structured like the first game where you go into 4 dungeons and then a final dungeon? or have you changed things up? I can't wait for the game man, really hope you get to make a 3rd one.

Goddamn Tragic's posts have been ramping up my hype for the game, and I was already getting super pumped. Really feeling like this game could be incredible.

tragic

Developer
Thanks for your trouble, but the only thing I need... is to eliminate 1 week European delay. :D And that ain't gonna happen.

The only trouble I'm having is waiting for the game to be out! If I could make this final wait disappear, I would!

Tragic, how much enemies can we expect on the screen in single battle? Crowds of 15+ monsters?

It really depends on enemy type. There are some encounters with upwards of 15 or so, but these are usually lighter enemies. Overall, you'll typically see more than in Darksiders, but also note that the vast majority of creatures are far more aggressive in Darksiders 2, so even a handful can be, well, a handful!

Wait.. The combat designer on this is Tragic?
'Tragic the Gathering' Tragic? Pre-release Marvel 3 combos Tragic? 'Justin Wong has been eliminaaaateeeed' EVO announcer Tragic?

Shieeeet. I was going to buy this game anyway, but now I'm going to pester all my Fighting game friends till they buy it too.

That's me! Glad you are looking forward to it. I mentioned this earlier, but word of mouth is a major reason why the first Darksiders was successful. We can only hope that the community feels the same way about Darksiders 2!

Tragic, is the game structured like the first game where you go into 4 dungeons and then a final dungeon? or have you changed things up? I can't wait for the game man, really hope you get to make a 3rd one.

There's definitely some structure, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it is completely static all the way through the game... and also I don't want to give anything away! Part of the experience is finding out what comes next! =)

I can't believe how hyped I am for this game. It sounds so good on every level. Damn you Americans for getting it a week early.

I wish no one had to wait any longer. Just do your best to avoid spoilers!

.la1n

Persona 4 Arena is eating my wallet in August but all of these answers have pushed me over, as I have said many times Darksiders is still one of my top 10 games of the gen so buying 2 is a no brainer. P4A will get most of my initial time but I see no reason I can't juggle both.

So since it's been said that War that we've seen Death fighting in the released footage isn't actually War, will we see other horseman in the game?

BY2K

Membero Americo
So since it's been said that War that we've seen Death fighting in the released footage isn't actually War, will we see other horseman in the game?

It's said Strife and Fury will appear in some capacity. We don't know exactly how.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
2 weeks... just 2 weeks...

I swear to God it better not end on the same cliffhanger.

20 bucks says it ends with death landing next to war and then the credits rolling trololol

Actually I can already predict a small bit of what will happen in the finale of everything. darksiders 5 or what not :p

Poor death :(

Gbraga

After tragic's insight on the combat, I really couldn't care less about the ending. I'll play it, then replay it, and play the hell out of The Crucible (this time not color-coded)

After tragic's insight on the combat, I really couldn't care less about the ending. I'll play it, then replay it, and play the hell out of The Crucible (this time not color-coded)

The combat is integral of course, but I also love the lore and story surrounding the games too.

DieH@rd

Banned
Im wondering who the main antagonist is going to be? He is bound to be connected to the Destroyer somehow.

Charred Council, Samael and Lillith are prime examples, but many of them will be left for some future game when all four horseman can join-in on the revenge asskicking.

Effect

Can't help but think the overall size of DS2 is going to be a problem in the end. It sounds like the game is going to be to big. That people will get bored. A long RPG can end up like this as well but it's combat can be more passive, picking commands, so it doesn't become taxing for a lack of a better word. While repetitive there is a different feeling from picking combat options to constantly button smashing or doing combos all the time. Even then what makes that length of time worthwhile is the story. So I really hope DS2's story is up to the challenge. If it's not then it's not going to be looked upon favorably.

ced

I've only seen PC footage, has there been any PS3 footage? I'm kinda nervous about preordering that version.

Top Bottom