• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders 2 new info! [one month away from release]

bumpkin

Remember to get the teleporter in each area. I didn't do that early on, and it made the latter half of the game a bitch to get through.
Duly noted!

If it was before the first time you met Fulgrim, it's not the first Dungeon. The first dungeon is the Cathedral, and this is where the fun actually begins, so if you enjoyed it so far, you can only see it getting better ;)
The area I just completed was after some sort of giant creature was awakened from a doorway it was blocking. After getting through that, I got to a graveyard area with a center tower/gazebo sort of structure with Fulgrim in it. That's pretty much when I called it a day and saved my progress for the night.

Samael will be in this wont he? Such a baddass character.
Every time I think of Samael, all I can picture is the creatures from the first Hellboy movie.

Mupod

First, I want to apologize for the "Dark Rider - Ride 100miles" achievement from Ds1, It sucked. That won't be happening again.

The majority of our Achievement revolve around playing the core game (and some of the side-quests), from start to end. I split the minority of awards between skilled/hardcore players and the item hunters.

As a lot of people don't finish games these days, it's important that the core/spine of the game contain the chunk of the rewards. So, just by pushing the story/game forward, you are additionally awarded with Achievements.

H

I'm pretty sure that I did Dark Rider by holding down my analog stick while browsing forums on my other monitor. And it still took a long time even after two runs through the game (and I waste a LOT of time exploring).

Darksiders was actually the very first game that I ever went out of my way to get 1000/1000 on. I mean, a couple of the achievements were bothersome but none of them were unreasonable and it just gave me a reason to keep playing.

SuomiDude

Never played the original, and probably never will, as I'm going with WiiU only, but I can't wait to play this one. Pretty much everything about the game sounds promising.

DieH@rd

Banned
It's still a month a way? Man I have been seeing commercials for it for about at least a month now.

THQ badly needs a hit game.

Hdn, can you tells us will you release "Launch Trailer" for Darksiders II. I need to know how much space I will need for official thread. :D

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I wouldn't mind some news on this either. It sounds really tedious and silly to me.

Tedious means boring and a hassle. If the gameplay is fun where is the issue? If there is one for it, it will probably only be from the first boss or something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d2vvs9ZHG4

And now a video that shows combos and stuff from the first game.... with bad editing... but yeah when people compare it to god of war I wonder if they even knew how to play it or played past the first 1 1/2 hours

DieH@rd

Banned
Darksiders: Abomination Vault book is out, and here is the first review:
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-book-review-darksiders-the-abomination-vault/

Nation of Abomination

Many major gaming franchises have found numerous ways to break out of their digital worlds and continue to permeate the pop culture between game releases. This cross-medium promotion helps franchises like Halo, Gears of War, Assassin’s Creed, Mass Effect, and many more stay relevant while also expanding on the fiction started in games.

Another of these franchises is Darksiders, which had a comic book one-shot around the release of their first game. With Darksiders II just around the corner though, author Ari Marmell brings us a lot more words and pages (no pictures though) depicting the Darksiders universe in the new novel Darksiders: The Abomination Vault.

The main plot of the book revolves around Death who has just returned from exile for some unknown reasons and the secrets that he has kept hidden for millennia, back when his kind were a dominant, realm conquering species. Only with the help of key angel allies and his brother War can Death hope to keep these secrets safe from those would use them to pick up where Death’s people left off and once again bring pain and suffering to all beings in existence.

If you are a fan of the Darksiders game, this book does a tremendous job of laying a foundation for Death before you get a chance to play as him in Darksiders II. You learn about Death’s personality, his powers, and the lengths he is willing to go to reach his objectives. You also appreciate the brotherly rivalry he has with War as the two play off each other’s strengths in and out of battle very well and very often and it strongly establishes their relationship before you see Death go to battle for his brother in the upcoming game.

But this book isn’t just about building hype up about the game as it stands up as a wonderfully action-packed tale all on its own. The descriptions of the battles that take place and the sinister villains who rise up to face-off against Death and War are brilliant and fans of this kind of fantasy will not be able to put the book down as the pacing is intense and adrenaline fueled.

The only real downside I felt from this book is that there are four horsemen and although it was nice this book wasn’t a Death only adventure, what with War playing an integral part, I would have enjoyed more interaction with Fury and Strife, the other two horsemen in the Darksiders universe who really only had small cameos. Their descriptions were intriguing and their personalities were definitely different enough from War and Death to make them stand up on their own, so for them to never really factor into this grand, realm threatening adventure was disappointing.

All in all though, fans of Darksiders should blow through the 351 pages this book entails in no time once it becomes available July 24th as it’ll serve as a tantalizing appetizer to Darksiders II in August. If you have $15 to spare, this book is definitely a fun and enjoyable read and should be considered if you’re looking for a new fantasy book to pick up.

SCORE: 9.0

Minamu

Tedious means boring and a hassle. If the gameplay is fun where is the issue? If there is one for it, it will probably only be from the first boss or something
As someone obsessing over trophies and achievements, I don't like the overly difficult stuff. So even if the game is lots of fun, it'll still be a hassle because I'll be forced to do it whether I want to or not (I'm working on stopping myself from not enjoying myself but it's hard). It's crazy, I know.

ArjanN

Man I hope not. Imagine coming to the near end and then you die resulting from a glitch. Fuck that shit.

This. Those achievements work in a shmup or arcade type game that are short and all gameplay, they're annoying in games with story and cut scenes where you get 10 hours in and then die because of an akward platforming scene.

This. Those achievements work in a shmup or arcade type game that are short and all gameplay, they're annoying in games with story and cut scenes where you get 10 hours in and then die because of an akward platforming scene.

People have said like ten times that it's just if you die in combat...

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
THQ badly needs a hit game.

Hdn, can you tells us will you release "Launch Trailer" for Darksiders II. I need to know how much space I will need for official thread. :D

I know there are more trailer-type things to come, not sure if there'll be one, definitive, "release" trailer though.

H

BY2K

Membero Americo
C'mon, the first Darksiders was very doable on Apocalyptic without dying once. I'm sure Nightmare Mode is doable if you are careful.

And from Slowtaku:

"We heard that early on and we laughed about it. Honestly, I think it was one of the reasons that I took the teeth off [Death's] mask, because I didn't want it to be an actual skull face. Then it literally would be Skeletor. But we weren't worried about it, it's kind of funny, it's kind of a funny connection. I'll take it. I like He-Man, I like Skeletor! It's the 80's comeback, man. And look, you're never going to play a Skeletor game. It's not going to happen, so you might as well just buy Darksiders II." - Darksiders II creative driector Joe Madureira

Darksiders II is now a game about Skeletor.

vmatix

Neo Member
Would anyone like to one day play Darksiders 2 on Vita? I think that Vita port would be such an awesome move.

Yeah I'd like to see a vita port :) Though I'm still on the fence about darksiders 2, haven't played its first counterpart but I'm reading only good stuff about it and I really like the art style and game play ! But I'll probably pre order it anyway along with sleeping dogs !

Maffis

People have said like ten times that it's just if you die in combat...

Yes, but imagine if you're in combat and doing a weird platforming sequence. Also, you can still get glitched out in combat. One gaffer talked about the Spider boss in Darksiders 1 glitched out, basically killing him by "locking" him into place. Stuff like that can happen in games, even with thousands of hours of playtesting.

DieH@rd

Banned
Even in Diablo 3 you can sometimes get stuck in geometry while using some movement spells, hopefully DS2 will not have much problems.

Hdn, is Nightmare Mode available from the start?

forrest

formerly nacire
Anyone know if there is a way to get all of the pre-order bonuses? Will they be offered after the release as individual DLC or anything?

Yes, but imagine if you're in combat and doing a weird platforming sequence. Also, you can still get glitched out in combat. One gaffer talked about the Spider boss in Darksiders 1 glitched out, basically killing him by "locking" him into place. Stuff like that can happen in games, even with thousands of hours of playtesting.

Sure, but... it's called "nightmare" mode. What do you expect mate, a walk in the park? Wouldn't you consider it a nightmare to play a game for 10 hours, die because of a glitch, and then have to start over? Nobody is forcing you to play it on nightmare difficulty -- I will most likely not try it out myself. But it's there for those who want it. It's not called "very hard". It's called "nightmare". Just like "insane" in Witcher 2 or "hard core" in Dead Space 2.

Maffis

Sure, but... it's called "nightmare" mode. What do you expect mate, a walk in the park? Wouldn't you consider it a nightmare to play a game for 10 hours, die because of a glitch, and then have to start over? Nobody is forcing you to play it on nightmare difficulty -- I will most likely not try it out myself. But it's there for those who want it. It's not called "very hard". It's called "nightmare". Just like "insane" in Witcher 2 or "hard core" in Dead Space 2.

It was mostly a response to if the mode would have an achivement tied to it. It would suck pretty hard for those achievement whores out there to be forced into playing through such a long game with no saves, only to die at the end through a glitch.

It worked in Dead Space because it comes with 3 saves and the game is not even half as long as Darksiders 2.

Of course the arguement "you don't have to", while being a pretty poor arguement IMO, works.

They are already spoiling them on Gametrailers [one boss video per week]. :-/
I guess IGN is showcasing one new enviroment per week.

I'm avoiding all of those, few trailers and showfloor game videos have been enough for me.

The Forge lands contains 6 dungeons, and the Dead Plains has 4. This is 10 dungeons already in 2 zones; 10 dungeons bound to have some kind of "big fight", maybe a mini-boss type or a real, big one, but still 10 potential boss fights. This is not counting the other 2 zones and the optional dungeons and the open-world bosses.

This game is huge and there will be so much left to uncover even with these boss spoilers. Also, they're pretty easy to not watch ;)

Very hyped for this release. I wonder if there will be any tie in's to merchandise , like a Halloween Death mask maybe? I ask because I collect Haanya / Oni type mask. I would love to get a version like his.

BcX6w.jpg

DieH@rd

Banned
Very hyped for this release. I wonder if there will be any tie in's to merchandise , like a Halloween Death mask maybe? I ask because I collect Haanya / Oni type mask. I would love to get a version like his.

BcX6w.jpg

Go buy Collectors Edition of the game, lifesize mask of Death is included in the package.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Even in Diablo 3 you can sometimes get stuck in geometry while using some movement spells, hopefully DS2 will not have much problems.

Hdn, is Nightmare Mode available from the start?

No. You need to complete the game first (on any difficulty setting). This way, the player already knows what to expect when undertaking a task in Nightmare mode (which is also set at Apocalyptic difficulty setting).

Failure in Nightmare mode is only from a combat death. If you fail during a traversal sequence, or are knocked back off a ledge by a creature, into a fatal fall, you will not be sent back to the start of the game.

We know the game is long and this is a difficult task, but it really is for people who can handle the pressure of what this mode is asking. It's a ridiculous challenge, you better be good in combat and evading, or it'll punish you. We may not even give you anything for doing it. You'll need to ask yourself "Is it worth it".

H

It was mostly a response to if the mode would have an achivement tied to it. It would suck pretty hard for those achievement whores out there to be forced into playing through such a long game with no saves, only to die at the end through a glitch.

It worked in Dead Space because it comes with 3 saves and the game is not even half as long as Darksiders 2.

Of course the arguement "you don't have to", while being a pretty poor arguement IMO, works.

Getting achievements shouldn't be easy mate. Games just hand achievements out like crazy! If you want them, you should work for 'em. And do explain how it's a poor argument. I'd really love to know.

Jumpman23

I still have hopes that Vigil will release Darksiders 1 for Wii U. That would be one hell of a bonus for the LTTP Wii U folks!

Darksiders was a real good game, but that was pretty much it.

However, this sequel looks absolutely bananas. Every single thing in the game has just been fleshed out, improved and straight-up reinvented. The sheer number of different systems present is mind-boggling, I really cannot believe that they can even be allowed to put this much stuff in one game, in this age of simplification and focus testing.

This is almost guaranteed to at least be one of the best games of the year, and likely to be THE best. But I foresee it flying straight under the radar of the mainstream... I hope I'm wrong, because I said that about Red Dead Redemption and look what happened there.

Top Bottom