• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders 2 new info! [one month away from release]

BY2K

Membero Americo
I could see people saying that the Loot/Leveling/Inventory/Customization is what Zelda needs.

Like, seriously.

What Zelda could learn from Darksiders. Somebody's gonna do it. I can see it.

Hindle

Banned
I wonder if we will meet Fury and Strife in this game? Or will they save them for future games. Man I love this universe.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This sounds fantastic, but it also sounds like a completely fucking different game than Darksiders 1.

Well it is a proper sequel. We are just getting a huge evolution in the series all at once instead of slowly and painfully over like 5 games.

It's still gonna be like darksiders 1 at the core, its just this is not War this is Death. They want to separate them and make the 4 characters all unique. So we don't get wars super big power heavy can withstand anything yet is a master of the sword play style . Instead we get a crafty cunning killer that is a necromancer/rogue hybrid.

The armor gathering is a natural progression of the series as it introduces some SotN elements of the game which also shares metroid/zelda type puzzle stuff. *mostly metroid but Im sure you get what I'm saying*

The quest hubs and sidequest help with the issue the first game had of there being this obvious huge lore yet we never really got to understand any of it. The longer gameplay and extra story will help fans or people in general understand the workings of the universe the game takes place in a bit more.

Everything I seen though literally looks like darksiders 2 in every way shape and form

Varth

This is actually a thing?! By the horsemen, do these people need a good slapping.

Well, you can get a hint looking at how THQ changed the art style for cover and advertising in a way that doesn't reflect the comic look of the game at all.

Actually, I'm not really a fan of the style myself, but it's coherent and well developed, so I find it forgivable.

EDIT

The best Zelda dungeons? Yes. But the dungeons in, say, Twilight Princess are pretty bad (mostly), I prefer Darksider's.

Let's put it this way: is there any other game that goes so close to Zelda in structure and quality?

does darksiders 1 get less boring and repetitive? or rather, fun to play?

im fairly early in the beginning where i have to find and kill a bunch of giant fiery eyes after doing a bunch of time trial shits. i like the aesthetics and story of the game but i feel bored out of my mind playing it.

im surprised IGN hasnt made a top 10 list about this yet

Iceblade

I could see people saying that the Loot/Leveling/Inventory/Customization is what Zelda needs.

Like, seriously.

Skyward Sword solidified the fact that the series is already going in this direction anyway, though.

What Zelda could learn from God of War. Now that would be priceless.

I can see it now. "Darksiders has successfully melded the intense combat of God of War with the puzzling conundrums of a Zelda title--and it's time for Miyamoto's magnum opus fantasy series to grow up and follow suit".

Har har.

Hindle

Banned
Thats the great feature about the series, since every game Im assuming will have a new horseman then it makes each game very different. It gives them the edge as most sequels usually play the same.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
SotN elements? You mean the style of leveling?

More so the random gear droping. Sure it's diabloish as well. But I get bigger SotN vibes from it. It's just easier to put the two side by side in your head when you look at how items and weapons effected the game *and power ups*

486px-Ds_horsemen1.jpg

Pretty sure we will meet Undead Bang Shishigami and Fury before the game is at least at the 2/3rds point.

ds1 spoiler

Death, Fury, Strife all ride down to meet war together at the same time at the end of DS1

im fairly early in the beginning where i have to find and kill a bunch of giant fiery eyes after doing a bunch of time trial shits. i like the aesthetics and story of the game but i feel bored out of my mind playing it.
After you do a panzer dragoon segment the real game starts *aka dungeon 1*. Everything before that is pretty bad honestly. You'll even get something that will let you play the game in a sorta dmc style that early on as well. Not going to explain how it works or the trick but it's pretty obvious if you experiment with combos and stuff :p

BY2K

Membero Americo

You only do this twice in the game. I think even Vigil realized mid-development: "Guys, we can't keep pulling that shit. Stop it."

Iceblade

Well, you can get a hint looking at how THQ changed the art style for cover and advertising in a way that doesn't reflect the comic look of the game at all.

Actually, I'm not really a fan of the style myself, but it's coherent and well developed, so I find it forgivable.

Interesting. Of course it's an opinion which I respect, but my skepticism for it is born out of how little we see mature titles with such a clean and bold comic book aesthetic. Such art-styles are enough of a rare commodity that I scratch my head at how anyone could avoid the title based on that alone.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Interesting. Of course it's an opinion which I respect, but my skepticism for it is born out of how little we see mature titles with such a clean and bold comic book aesthetic. Such art-styles are enough of a rare commodity that I scratch my head at how anyone could avoid the title based on that alone.

People want gritty real hardcore like gears of war or assassins creed! It doesn't help that it gets called a WoW rip off in design choices.... which is fucking hilarious

I hope there is the the same level of epic boss fights, I've only seen the giant statue so far.
I hope there is another glitchy teleporting spider boss that can trap you and juggle you til death in this one again

deviljho

There's not a lot of Zelda-like on the market to begin with. Vigil filled a gap, and it's working.

Hopefully. Rubin's comments weren't so thrilling, even though he later clarified that he supported the franchise. It's a shame too, because devs have to try to simplify the gameplay for these kinds of games in order to appeal to a broader market.

Varth

There's not a lot of Zelda-like on the market to begin with. Vigil filled a gap, and it's working.

Yep, that's my point. They did it, and it wasn't half bad.

On a side note: don't get why "clones" are so bashed. there are so many games that would benefit greatly from "alternate takes", since they are basically the only heralds of a genre. Zelda being the first name that springs to mind, but SSBM/PS All Stars works too.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That never happened to me.

Any video of that?

Sadly no, but I can explain it with this video *spoilers for 1 obviously*

http://youtu.be/lyVmP8GPLpw

You see when she kinda teleports on top of you and you cant really react that fast and you get in that bounce state. I had her literally teleport up and down over and over and over and over one time and my body kinda was stuck in mid air in limbo getting bitch slapped around I literally had no control over my character XD That only happened the first time I fought her though. Beat her the second.

Complaints aside that's probably one of the best fights if not the best fight in the game in terms of high intensity

It gets better.

After you do a panzer dragoon segment the real game starts *aka dungeon 1*. Everything before that is pretty bad honestly. You'll even get something that will let you play the game in a sorta dmc style that early on as well. Not going to explain how it works or the trick but it's pretty obvious if you experiment with combos and stuff :p

You only do this twice in the game. I think even Vigil realized mid-development: "Guys, we can't keep pulling that shit. Stop it."

whew, thats comforting. yeah its pretty awful so far but ill fight through this first part since ive heard so many great things about this game.

darksiders 2 looks great but i dont want to dive into that without finishing the first one!

Micerider

I don't recall a lot of Zelda-likes during the PS2 era either.

No indeed, but we had Okami, Beyond Good and Evil (Cheap trick to go with HD remake Iceblade ;) ) and...to some extent, Soul Reaver 2.

For this gen, well, there was not much to see in the genre.

Now I migth have missed some, but certainly no striking titles other than Darksiders

Edit : Yeah, Starfox Adventure too :)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
4 areas, each as big as DS1. I smell some bullshit in here.

Probably not counting the desert emptiness and the run to the second dungeon. If you compact all the rest in it's not that unbelievable. They been working on the game for 2 years on an already finished engine with art assets and style settled on

Going to try to play through the first game in the next couple weeks to get ready. Man I love those screenshots in the OP. They are fantastic

DieH@rd

Banned
Horseman-GAF, what's your best quote from the first game? Post some of your favorites, so I can include them in the DSII OT.

Mine is without a doubt War's "You may look into my eyes when I kill you."

:D

Micerider

Horseman-GAF, what's your best quote from the first game? Post some of your favourites, so I can include them in the DSII OT.

WAR is badass, I expect more "subtlety" from Death though

BY2K

Membero Americo
Horseman-GAF, what's your best quote from the first game? Post some of your favourites, so I can include them in the DSII OT.

The Watcher: Are you not entertained!?

DieH@rd

Banned
Guys, you will be blown away with the look of the OT.

[If i can manage to create all that. Thank god Joe Mad left us crapton of his concept art, so at least i have a lot materials to work with]

DieH@rd

Banned
For the last game they released a set of videos that showed the voice recording process. It seems they do not plan to do the same this time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, really, there have not been a whole lot of "Zelda style" games released in the past decade or even before that. It's not a common type of game as it is likely difficult to pull off well.

Few games have done it as well as Zelda.

What excites me here, however, is the possibility of a game that isn't filled with unnecessary padding. Zelda Skyward Sword ultimately becomes a solid game, but man, the first few hours are just so full of almost meaningless text and tutorials that it nearly kept me from playing. Nintendo has become afraid to drop the player into a world and let them explore.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Here's something I hope H can answer: how are the in game economy and health handled now? I remember being annoyed at grinding for lengthy intervals in DS1 because there were no ways to regain health other than potions and one-time chests.

There are potions in the game, but loot can also provide Health Steal attributes, so, if you're a player who needs that, you can use a combination of both potions and loot.

We've also tweaked health replenishment on restart, based on the amount of times it has happened, within a specific amount of time.

H

twitter@haydndalton
http://about.me/haydndalton

Effect

They had better deliver with the Wii U version. Waiting until to pick up the game after enjoying Darksiders 1. So it's going to be really annoying if there are any issues with that version of the game after waiting.

BY2K

Membero Americo
There are potions in the game, but loot can also provide Health Steal attributes, so, if you're a player who needs that, you can use a combination of both potions and loot.

We've also tweaked health replenishment on restart, based on the amount of times it has happened, within a specific amount of time.

H

twitter@haydndalton
http://about.me/haydndalton

I have a question.

How many skill trees is in the game, we know 2 (Necromancer and Harbinger), is there more?

Top Bottom