• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders Genesis costs $10 more on Stadia than Steam/GOG/Humble for no logical reason.

When Stadia launched, Google gave Stadia Pro subscribers a discount on certain game releases — up to 50 percent off on titles like Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot. But Stadia doesn’t offer any kind of Pro discount for Darksiders Genesis. On Stadia, Genesis costs $39.99, but if you pre-ordered the game on Steam, you only had to pay $25.50 — nearly $15 dollars off the Stadia price. Even if you didn’t pre-order Genesis, you can get the game on Steam, GOG, or Humble right now for only $29.99.

Polygon reached out to THQ Nordic for information on the price difference between platforms, but a spokesperson for the publisher said, “THQ doesn’t comment on their price policy.”

Darksiders Genesis is one of only 24 games available on the new platform, which makes the launch of an anticipated new title at a price higher than other platforms bizarre. Some Stadia owners are chalking the $10 premium on precedent set by other releases, in which console versions of certain games cost more than their PC counterparts. But that style of pricing model is outdated, especially for a platform that’s definitely not a console.

Not to mention the console versions will also have physical versions for an actual console.

So why are Stadia users paying $10 more for this game again? I believe this is Googles fault based on the fact they were originally trying to charge full price for games years old before they had to give them way for free because horrific launch issues, and in some games, they still are charging full price. If I can't even get the digital prices seen on ALL THE OTHER PC stores, and I have to pay more despite Stadia a consolelessss andPCless service that's only in the cloud, then what the heck is the freaking point of buying it?

It's like there's bad news every other day for this crap service.

TacosNSalsa

$25 on GMG :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming:

Edit: "THQ doesn't comment on their price policy" = " We hastily agreed to bring the game to this pitiful platform and trying to recoup whatever pittance we can."

Last edited:

Katsura

Stadia is just the gift that keeps on giving. I'm looking forward to our resident Google shill explaining why this is actually a good thing

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
same price like consoles right?
stadia is a console so i don;t get this fake outrage

stadia is one of the cheapest alternatives to play games with a low entry fee.
all you need own a device that runs chrome and have any gamepad.

people need to understand that stadia is not for most of neogaf users.
i accept that,
I might end up getting stadia once it matured a bit but eh.

GymWolf

When you have a console as good and successful as stadia, you can do whatever you want.

The game itself is great tho.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
same price like consoles right?
stadia is a console so i don;t get this fake outrage

stadia is one of the cheapest alternatives to play games with a low entry fee.
all you need own a device that runs chrome and have any gamepad.

people need to understand that stadia is not for most of neogaf users.
i accept that,
I might end up getting stadia once it matured a bit but eh.
Stadia is not a console...it is a service

Fbh

Maybe it's a forward thinking PR strategy. When google shuts down Stadia in 2 years THQ Nordic can be like "everyone who owned the game on Stadia will get a free Steam copy", which will give them a lot of good will and will have been pre paid by these $10

Voost Kain would tell us that because Stadia is such a hot item that it’s just smart business to raise the price.

"Sony, MS and everyone else with their ANTI CONSUMER practices have lowered the perceived value of games due to their unnecessary sales and lower prices. Google is increasing the value of games by charging more for them, which is good for devs and consumers"

Orenji Neko

I'm sure some Stadia advocate will be along shortly to manufacture some "logical" reasoning for this using contents mined from the deepest regions of their ass.

Spukc

Googles marketing has confused people yet again. Stadia has never been a console but I guess Googles messaging is pretty bad so it's not your fault. ;)
Its a gamepad using something different then a normal pc. Anyone can just get.

I think that is a console wherever said console is hardly matters.

Its a gamepad using something different then a normal pc. Anyone can just get.

I think that is a console wherever said console is hardly matters.

Stadia isn't in the gamepad, the gamepad is just that, a gamepad.

Stadia is a cloud app. There isn't a physical form to it so there's no console.

Spukc

Stadia isn't in the gamepad, the gamepad is just that, a gamepad.

Stadia is a cloud app. There isn't a physical form to it so there's no console.
Its a pc based system in a server rack call it whatever i still think it's a console

Its a pc based system in a server rack call it whatever i still think it's a console

You can't think the Sky is made of apples if it isn't. You need hardware to have a console that's the whole point of home consoles, if there's no hardware it's not a console. A serve rack located in some remote location is not a console by definition. Plus, if Stadia is run by a PC rack then using your logic Stadia is a PC, which makes this thread make even less sense as to why they charged more.

Spukc

You can't think the Sky is made of apples if it isn't. You need hardware to have a console that's the whole point of home consoles, if there's no hardware it's not a console. A serve rack located in some remote location is not a console by definition. Plus, if Stadia is run by a PC rack then using your logic Stadia is a PC, which makes this thread make even less sense as to why they charged more.
No since it's owned by google not available in any other way. And exclusivity deals on it. So a console. Just like switch xbox one x ps4 etc etc

Not that hard to understand.

Apple tv is a console.
You might not think it is. But it is

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Just typical Nintendo practices. We've all seen it before, and it still reeks.

Have they announced the console price yet? It looks like Stadia is the exclusive "console" launch with the other consoles getting it in February.

Is this just the cost of that sweet console exclusivity?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
No since it's owned by google not available in any other way. And exclusivity deals on it. So a console. Just like switch xbox one x ps4 etc etc

Not that hard to understand.

Apple tv is a console.

Stadia is a service, it's clearly not a console. That's like calling Netflix a console.

Ogbert

Did they go back to more of an RPG game like 2 and is it a decent length now? I liked 1+2 but 3 was a huge disappointment

No, not really an RPG. It’s a very polished ARPG with a good upgrade system and steady stream of new moves. Combat is excellent and you can switch instantaneously from a twin stick shooter demon to a whack him on the head with a big sword demon.

I’m about 5 hours in. Apparently it’s around 12 to 15, but you can strath that out with collectibles.

Good game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably the same reason a carton of juice costs different at stores, and downloading a movie from Google Play, Cineplex and the Apple store are different prices.

Because they feel like it.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Don't really see the issue here since the PS4/Xbox One/Switch versions will all be $40 as well.

Apple tv is a console.

No it's not, you don't get to change definitions of words because you are drunk or whatever your problem is. Home console has a definition and it's had it since the 70's, even the computer term for console, which is different, had a definition, Apple TV had neither of those, and guess what? Apple TV at least had hardware Stadia does not, so you can't even make the argument that Stadia has a console because there is no hardware, it's a software app. You lost, quit.

Ar¢tos

Stadia is a service, it's clearly not a console. That's like calling Netflix a console.
It's kinda like a console, fixed specs, every users gets the same experience (*cough*), it just doesn't have any of the benefits of a real console. Maybe its like a console just for the devs.

Top Bottom