• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition PC 05/11/15 + Loyalty Program

daxy

Well shit, I should throw some coin in Nordic's direction. I would really like to see a Darksiders in the vein of the first.

Grief.exe

I feel sorry for them. Now how about those of us that already paid the $6? :p

It doesn't feel like they are being greedy, I think it's more of a PR misstep. They should have just given DS2 for free if you had DS1 and DS2 if they wanted to go the "Loyalty" route or just have given the 80% discount with no one getting it for free at all since god forbid someone gets something that you don't.

If getting this gets me closer to Darksiders 3, I have no problem paying the $6. I think their heart is in the right place.

It seems to be mainly a perception issue.

If the 80% off deal was the only discount available, then there wouldn't be an argument. Seems unfortunate that the backlash has impacted them so greatly. At the very least the situation strikes me as an oversight, rather than malicious intent.

JohngPR

It seems to be mainly a perception issue.

If the 80% off deal was the only discount available, then there wouldn't be an argument. Seems unfortunate that the backlash has impacted them so greatly. At the very least the situation strikes me as an oversight, rather than malicious intent.

I agree. If they gave an 80% discount across the board, this wouldn't even be an issue. This game came out before they even owned the license, they really didn't owe me anything.

daxy

I agree. If they gave an 80% discount across the board, this wouldn't even be an issue. This game came out before they even owned the license, they really didn't owe me anything.

I think a lot of the backlash post-launch is that the game still has significant technical issues, which is legit messed up.

BasilZero

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I just got to the Cauldron and god damn if it isn't very clear they did some nice things to the engine. The lighting looks much better, less flat, and the new textures have some added depth as well.
2AEC060B243B655800103F7D32CC9DDB93C51D5D

Original (Video)

They've been showing off the wrong areas :lol, The Cauldron shows a massive difference.

Thus far my experience is this.

Load up the game without controller cause I am missing the usb part to my 360 controller.

Try to start a new game profile, but the menu freezes until I minimize the game and then bring it back up. Then I find myself back at the Press Start menu.

Okay...

I try a couple times but then instead of starting a new game I continue an old one. It loads up perfectly fine. Game looks gorgeous. And the keyboard and mouse controls seem pretty good so I am probably just gonna use that.

Question though - does getting this game delete the original from your steam list or does it just add to it?

It adds to it.

Saiyan-Rox

Seeing people leave negative reviews on steam because they didn't get this free or because they had to pay 89p for the soundtrack again (even though they say they have it for the original DS2 and it's all the same songs) is making me sick it just screams entitlement.

I did hear the game doesn't work very well which deserves to be noted in the reviews but not that crap.

daxy

So I've played it for a bit (on PC). It's the exact same fucking game, to the extent that it loads and recognizes my old DSII save which they said wasn't possible because it's a whole new game or whatever. It's buggier than the original for some messed up reason, and it comes across as if they moved around some sliders or whatever to change post-processing effects, sharpened the textures a bit and called it a day. Everything else is the exact same. They couldn't even add a slider for its excruciatingly slow camera sensitivity (for controllers).

I am not impressed and expected more from this developer. For PC users there is absolutely no reason to buy this if you already own the original version. The upres and portjob to modern platforms are the most significant things about it, which are irrelevant for PC users. There are no extra options in this version to improve graphical fidelity on PC beyond what was in the original. Honestly, I feel like this shouldn't have even come out for PC. It's redundant. There are numerous mods for other games that have had more work put into them and achieved more significant changes. Deathfinitive Edition just repackaged all the DLC to sell it like a whole new thing to people unaware of the marginal effort put behind the PC release. I absolutely loved the first game and would like to see more from this series, but this release does not respect the time and money of its fans.

I'll play around for some more, but I'll almost certainly be refunding this in the coming week. If you haven't played DSII yet, it's probably an ok buy once/if they fix the technical issues it's got going on. I read that a patch is coming out for consoles by next week, so maybe that'll hit PC too.

UrbanRats

So I've played it for a bit (on PC). It's the exact same fucking game, to the extent that it loads and recognizes my old DSII save which they said wasn't possible because it's a whole new game or whatever. It's buggier than the original for some messed up reason, and it comes across as if they moved around some sliders or whatever to change post-processing effects, sharpened the textures a bit and called it a day. Everything else is the exact same. They couldn't even add a slider for its excruciatingly slow camera sensitivity (for controllers).

I am not impressed and expected more from this developer. For PC users there is absolutely no reason to buy this if you already own the original version. The upres and portjob to modern platforms are the most significant things about it, which are irrelevant for PC users. There are no extra options in this version to improve graphical fidelity on PC beyond what was in the original. Honestly, I feel like this shouldn't have even come out for PC. It's redundant. There are numerous mods for other games that have had more work put into them and achieved more significant changes. Deathfinitive Edition just repackaged all the DLC to sell it like a whole new thing to people unaware of the marginal effort put behind the PC release.

I'll play around for some more, but I'll almost certainly be refunding this in the coming week.
Look at the comparisons, materials and textures do look better, as well as the lighting in general (see Easy_D's post).
How is it redundant? And you can choose to keep your old game, but honestly, it's pretty cheap.

My only real point of contention is how broken it is technically, and i hope they'll patch it soon.

Most remasters do not really add jack shit, aside from some graphical enhancements, so i'm not sure what you were expecting.

daxy

Look at the comparisons, materials and textures do look better, as well as the lighting in general (see Easy_D's post).
How is it redundant? And you can choose to keep your old game, but honestly, it's pretty cheap.

My only real point of contention is how broken it is technically, and i hope they'll patch it soon.

Most remasters do not really add jack shit, aside from some graphical enhancements, so i'm not sure what you were expecting.

I see what you mean, but if you compare it to something like the Uncharted Collection, Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition, Metro 2033 Redux, or Scholar of the First Sin, it doesn't hold up at all. Those all manage to make the game either more cohesive, improve it considerably in the visual department or streamline certain aspects of the game that needed it. They breathed fresh air into the game even if you had played it before.

dr_rus

The update is still D3D9 huh. That is strange, would expect it to be D3D11.

And yeah it crashes after I change the settings for the first time. Can't even start with the settings set.

Edit: Deleting options don't help. Alt-Tabbing leads to crashing as well. Yeah the game is completely broken.

UrbanRats

I see what you mean, but if you compare it to something like the Uncharted Collection, Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition, Metro 2033 Redux, or Scholar of the First Sin, it doesn't hold up at all. Those all manage to make the game either more cohesive, improve it considerably in the visual department or streamline certain aspects of the game that needed it. They breathed fresh air into the game even if you had played it before.

I thought Sleepy Dogs' remaster was sort of panned due to poor performance.
What does it improve on PC? (genuine question).

The mouse and keyboard controls aren't bad... but how the fuck did that the aim sensitivity pass QA while in aim mode. It goes from tight and responsive in normal mode to like max sensitivity while in free look/aim mode. It is quite ridiculous. Apparently this is not a new issue though.

And yeah it crashes after I change the settings for the first time. Can't even start with the settings set.

Edit: Deleting options don't help. Alt-Tabbing leads to crashing as well. Yeah the game is completely broken.

Completely broken... for you. For me it is running fine, except for making a new game.

The mouse and keyboard controls aren't bad... but how the fuck did that the aim sensitivity pass QA while in aim mode. It goes from tight and responsive in normal mode to like max sensitivity while in free look/aim mode. It is quite ridiculous. Apparently this is not a new issue though.

Completely broken... for you. For me it is running fine, except for making a new game.

Crashes as soon as I try to play it... so completely broken for me too. ...for a lot of people, actually, judging by the Steam comments.

Canadian

Could the issue be how they marketed the game? Rather than calling it Deathinitive Edition if they called it Game of the Year Edition would there be less complaining about the lack of visual upgrades?

I'm looking to play through it again soon because I really enjoyed the combat and exploration, as long as it runs as well as last gen I'll have fun with it.

So it works for you with shadows set to max?

I did set shadows to max for a bit but it dropped my framerate to something like 10-15 fps so I just set it back to low. IDGAF about shadows anyway.

It didn't crash for me though.

edit:
Oops. I just realized I said it dropped to 10-15 fps. I mean it dropped by 10-15 fps. It was still very playable form.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
they already edited the message with "Stop sending e-mails , it was limited offer" :-D

Just saw the post saying to email for a key (hooray) then the subsequent edit saying to stop. Seems that the offer was limited to a few hours. The whole thing has been quite the clusterfuck.

impact

Banned
they already edited the message with "Stop sending e-mails , it was limited offer" :-D
This dev really knows how to treat their customers!

"You guys that own the game and season pass can have it free but the rest of you that own the game and season pass gotta pay". Not paying 6 bucks for a buggy game that I should have for free and we're not getting Darksiders 3 anyway. What a fucking disaster, screw Nordic.

c0Zm1c

It reads:

STOP sending mails now please. This was only a limited offer and we are working out something.

(Was the bolded part edited in later?)

It could mean they're looking into unlocking it for everyone who owns the equivalent of the franchise pack content.

BasilZero

one thing is sure, next time there will NOT be any free upgrade of any kind

Should have done what SE did with Deus Ex Human Revolution and offer JUST a discount for owners of the original rather than the free offer. Probably would have saved them from all the complaints or the majority of it at least.

Ce-Lin

Should have done what SE did with Deus Ex Human Revolution and offer JUST a discount for owners of the original rather than the free offer. Probably would have saved them from all the complaints or the majority of it at least.

that's what I meant, no more free stuff, just discount for owners... children these days on Steam/PSN/XBL are the reason we can't have nice things anymore, their sense of entitlement is beyond anything we had back in my generation.

11mb patch

hotfix for crash due to changing settings

HOTFIX November 6th 2015
Horsemen!

We are very sorry for the problems that you were experiencing since yesterday when changing the graphic settings. Here is the hotfix for it.

Changelog
6th November 2015
- Fixed crashes with changing the shadow quality
- Added an option set mode as Steam launch option. In case your game or your savegame keeps crashing please use this (through the steam library or as commandline option: reset)

Enjoy

scitek

Disable cloud synchronization and try again.

11mb patch

hotfix for crash due to changing settings

Nice. Quick reaction is appreciated.

Dsyndrome

They could do what Neocore's doing with Van Helsing Final Cut and have some kind of authenticator check your Steam account, then distribute codes that way.

Schlomo

The original version had some annoying unfixable stutter for me. Does this run exactly the same (or worse) in that regard? Or are frametimes even and is there no loading stutter if you have the necessary power?

I'd really like to support them if it ran better. One of the best games of last generation for me.

Top Bottom