• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition PC 05/11/15 + Loyalty Program

denshuu

Pretty. Shadows on the bottom pic are missed up because the screenshot was taken when high shadows crashed the game. Shoutouts to hotfixes.

XqYPExO.png

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Gunfire are handling this excellently I must say, making sure to engage with the community to get bugs registered and ultimately fixed as fast as they can. I really hope they are the ones working on a potential Darksiders 3 (not only because they're old Vigil staff :p)

TI82

Banned
Was about to give up hope and just buy Darksiders 2 deahinitive, checked my email and I got a free code from support. So cool!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Was about to give up hope and just buy Darksiders 2 deahinitive, checked my email and I got a free code from support. So cool!

Yeah seems like they want to correct their mistakes, front page was full of "Fuk u nordic gems" and "dont buy dis!!" threads but things have slowly but surely turned around and the general feel is that people are positive about it now. I was *this* close to refunding it, but then they started patching and showing they give a damn.

Bodes well for a potential sequel!

TI82

Banned
Yeah seems like they want to correct their mistakes, front page was full of "Fuk u nordic gems" and "dont buy dis!!" threads but things have slowly but surely turned around and the general feel is that people are positive about it now. I was *this* close to refunding it, but then they started patching and showing they give a damn.

Bodes well for a potential sequel!

Yep, always been a fan of this series so a third title is very exciting.

Jelle

Pretty. Shadows on the bottom pic are missed up because the screenshot was taken when high shadows crashed the game. Shoutouts to hotfixes.
Is this after and before? Or before and after? Just got the game, but didn't get there yet.

I wasn't aware of this loyalty program, so when I logged on Steam yesterday and saw the Deathinitive Edtion on my library it was a nice surprise! Couldn't be any happier.

I'm really glad Nordic Games is supporting the community like this, I got the Platinum Trophy of DS2 on the PS3 and can't wait for Darksiders 3 to be announced.

Parsnip

Update for the beta branch.

Changelog
10th November 2015
- Optimized Shadows
- Use the desktop resolution at first start
- Enabled triple buffering in Fullscreen when VSync is enabled
- Fixes Mouse control issue when in shooter mode
- Fixes keyboard and remapping issues for horse/construct
- Fixes lava issue in Cauldron level
- Fixes alpha around pause menu in the Crowfather level

scitek

I didn't mind handing over 6 bucks since my initial purchase went to THQ. Nordic deserves props for the effort, and the job they did with Red Faction: Guerrilla earned my respect.

Glad they're listening to feedback, though.

Game is super stuttery for me.

i5 2500K OC@4.5GHz

R9 290X 4GB OC@1.1GHz

8GB RAM @ 1866MHz

Playing off an Intel 530 SSD.

Resolution 2560x1080

Shadows: medium/high
Antialiasing: medium/high

I knew not to run shadows on high, but this setting still makes them look like a pixelated mess. I really don't want to have to turn them down lower.

denshuu

Game is super stuttery for me.

i5 2500K OC@4.5GHz

R9 290X 4GB OC@1.1GHz

8GB RAM @ 1866MHz

Playing off an Intel 530 SSD.

Resolution 2560x1080

Shadows: medium/high
Antialiasing: medium/high

I knew not to run shadows on high, but this setting still makes them look like a pixelated mess. I really don't want to have to turn them down lower.

Do this to fix the stuttering:
Disable V-Sync ingame and then exit. Go into your graphics card Control Panel and set Flip Queue Size to 1. Then enable V-Sync from the control panel.

Do this to fix the stuttering:
Disable V-Sync ingame and then exit. Go into your graphics card Control Panel and set Flip Queue Size to 1. Then enable V-Sync from the control panel.

That's the thing, these stutters are happening without V-sync even being on. I'm trying to play it without V-sync because I have a Freesync monitor. These stutters/freezes are between .5 to .75 seconds each. Also, it screen tears like crazy right as the stutter is happening because it's dropping below my monitor's minimum freesync range.

I sent an email to them only two days ago with proof of purchase of the previous edition. They sent me a key for the Deathinitive edition this morning.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's the thing, these stutters are happening without V-sync even being on. I'm trying to play it without V-sync because I have a Freesync monitor. These stutters/freezes are between .5 to .75 seconds each. Also, it screen tears like crazy right as the stutter is happening because it's dropping below my monitor's minimum freesync range.
Haven't tried it yet, but the original Darksiders 2 had issues with frame pacing and stuttering. You HAD to use RivaTuner Statistics to fix it. Without it, the game would stutter like crazy.

Tizoc

I'm playing this for the first time with the DE and this is a really great game.

Any beginner tips?

Far as I can tell you cannot miss out on side quests, but a few require triggering early on.
Let me see if I remember this right-
One in particular is to find stone fragments, you must find the NPC who gives you the side quest so you can actually pick up the stone fragments, otherwise you won't be able to interact with them.

This NPC is found in the overworld; once you reach a river swim across it and eventually you'll find them, speak with them to start the side quest.

denshuu

Yeah, it's a shit port. You aren't going to get rid of the stuttering without turning on VSync.

Alric

I sent an email to them only two days ago with proof of purchase of the previous edition. They sent me a key for the Deathinitive edition this morning.

Who did you send an email to? I have the collectors edition with the mask of the original release and no way in hell I'm paying $6 for a game I own sitting at my house.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
So the people getting the keys emailed the dev?
I assume so.

I used the support page of Nordic games last week and have had no reply. I bought Darksiders 1 then the franchise pack on Amazon and while I understand it isn't Nordic games fault, if you offer a free upgrade to Franchise Pack owners, it should be to all regardless of how they bought it.

Blame Amazon for being silly I suppose. Hopefully all can be worked out and I certainly hope the IP can be continued going forward.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Apparently the latest beta patch removes microstutters and also (finally) introduces an in-game option for Triple Buffering

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Apparently the latest beta patch removes microstutters and also (finally) introduces an in-game option for Triple Buffering
The devs have moved into God tier with there fixes and support. Fantastic.

Oh cool. I need to try that, then.
Thanks.

Edit: Beta update helps a lot, actually.

Also, anyone else with an ultrawide monitor having HUD issues? For me, the only issue is with the map. The icons that should be on the mini map are floating off to the side of it instead.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I misread about the microstutters. The in-game vsync blows chunks still, despite being triple buffered my framerate drops to 43 in a room where I can keep 60 easily with Vsync on.

Granted it is a beta patch but still.

Edit: Oops, that was me enabling the High shadow quality setting, which they recommend 4gB of VRAM for (for good measure, i assume :lol)

Tizoc

Which option takes the biggest hit on the FPS? I tried using Low and Normal Shadow quality but the fps jumps between 40-60 fps :/

Tizoc

I paid the $6 for the upgrade because I didn't want to miss that promo, and now this happens. That's kind of a downer for me, but this is great for everyone else that hasn't upgraded yet.

Contact Nordic and see if there's a way to get a refund?

Schlomo

Got it! Awesome that they found a way to make it work!

Thanks for posting, I would have missed it otherwise probably.

Contact Nordic and see if there's a way to get a refund?
Eh, it's not a big deal. It would have been nice to get the upgrade for free, but I also feel that Nordic and Gunfire deserve the $6 for the amount of new work and post release support they've put into this release, even if their launch was a bit bumpy. If that helps them make another Darksiders game then that's even better.

ZServ

Eh, it's not a big deal. It would have been nice to get the upgrade for free, but I also feel that Nordic and Gunfire deserve the $6 for the amount of new work and post release support they've put into this release, even if their launch was a bit bumpy. If that helps them make another Darksiders game then that's even better.
That's how I feel about it. I was salty at first, but..

I love Darksiders 2. It's one of my favorite games ever made. Six bucks to show support? Alright, I'm in. And I've had zero issues. Runs flawlessly on my old rig (phenom 2 965be cpu and 570). No stutters, hiccups, nothing.

But, good on the developers for putting together that sub-offer. :)

Ushay

I'll pick this up when it goes on sale, really hoping we get fully fledged third game that continues the story,

~Kinggi~

Banned
Is this worth the 6$ upgrade? I never even played the original and i dont have the season pass so i dont think i can upgrade for free....steam community sends mixed signals as to the "improvements"

DieH@rd

Banned
Top Bottom