• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Bebpo said:
The shots look better than the ps3/x360 version, but it sounds like the performance sucks and the game will be buggy. Bleh, how did they spend this long porting the game and still have it be a messy port.

Oh wait, this is THQ? The same THQ that published the unplayable PC port of Saints Row 2?

Outsourced port though. Red Faction Guerilla was done internally and after a few patches, it's supposedly the best version from what I hear.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
AgentOtaku said:
Outsourced port though. Red Faction Guerilla was done internally and after a few patches, it's supposedly the best version from what I hear.
Yep Red Faction ended up pretty much perfect after the latest patch. Performance is great when you force DX9 (60 fps with 1080p/8xAA for everything but heavy amounts of destruction going on) and I no longer get any sound glitches. It also has great pad support. I would have been day 1 for Darksiders if it had launched at the state that Red Faction was patched to.

AgentOtaku said:

I don't think Red Faction Guerilla was done internally. Reactor Zero is credited for the port.

Armageddon looks to be the first internally developed PC title by Volition in quite a while.

Bebpo

Banned
AgentOtaku said:

Ok yeah, Red Faction G was awesome on PC as long as you played in DX9. Game looked super nice and all that destruction at 60fps locked made the game amazingly fun. Controlled perfect with a X360 controller as well. So I'll give them RFG. Hope after some patches Darksiders is more like that, though the performance talk scares me. I'm still on a i7 @3.8ghz (good) and GTX260 (starting to feel old) and it sounds like there's no way I'm getting 60fps on this, and I expect 60fps out of games running on X360/PS3 level tech.

Stallion Free said:
AF doesn't matter, it's by far the easiest feature to force.

Better to be an option though! :)

I'm just really annoyed when a PC game doesn't let me choose from a big range of graphical options. I'm quite new to high end PC gaming and I was shocked when I loaded up games and didn't have as many graphical options as a game like Crysis gives you... :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Foliorum Viridum said:
Better to be an option though! :)

I'm just really annoyed when a PC game doesn't let me choose from a big range of graphical options. I'm quite new to high end PC gaming and I was shocked when I loaded up games and didn't have as many graphical options as a game like Crysis gives you... :lol
Get used to it with ports. Also, get familiar with tweaking ini files.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Stallion Free said:
Get used to it with ports. Also, get familiar with tweaking ini files.
Crysis's ini tweaks you can make completely dwarf the graphical options in-game. Its incredible.

Dennis

Banned
Game will unlock for me in about 6 hours on Steam. I will post screenshots, performance etc. but perhaps not until tomorrow so others may give some info sooner.

forrest

formerly nacire
I was hoping for a much better reception. Hopefully any issues will be ironed out "patched" in the near future. I traded in my ps3 copy some time ago in lieu of getting the Steam version! I'm definitely itching to play it again as I thought it was just a great game all around. Curious to see your screens and performance summary Dennis.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DennisK4 said:
Game will unlock for me in about 6 hours on Steam. I will post screenshots, performance etc. but perhaps not until tomorrow so others may give some info sooner.
I look forward to the screens and some accurate performance results.

drkOne

Foliorum Viridum said:
Eurgh.

When it was delayed to September I decided to buy it on 360 for cheap, which I was questioning as the right move due to impatience, but now it sounds like the right move.

It shouldn't be allowed to release a PC game that doesn't give you options like AA, AF etc.
360: 1152x648, no AA, probably not locked at 60FPS
PC: 1920x1080, no AA, 60FPS

Yes, I think you made the best decision. ...

Also, no one is making you buy the game, so if you're not happy with the port, don't buy it.
I, myself, prefer to have the option.

And AA is a much more needed feature on console games, because most of them run at sub-HD resolutions, than it is on PC.
With higher resolutions you need less AA to fix jaggies. At 1080p the difference should be minimal.

I get the feeling that you have no clue about what you're talking about, just have a need to go "MAXIMUM GRAPHICS" on every setting...

shaowebb said:
This game is currently about $15 on gamefly if anyone wants to pick up a copy damned cheap. I just did.

Since I already bought the PS3 version new when it came out, I'll probably just go this route

drkOne said:
360: 1152x648, no AA, probably not locked at 60FPS
PC: 1920x1080, no AA, 60FPS

Yes, I think you made the best decision. ...

Also, no one is making you buy the game, so if you're not happy with the port, don't buy it.
I, myself, prefer to have the option.

And AA is a much more needed feature on console games, because most of them run at sub-HD resolutions, than it is on PC.
With higher resolutions you need less AA to fix jaggies. At 1080p the difference should be minimal.

I get the feeling that you have no clue about what you're talking about, just have a need to go "MAXIMUM GRAPHICS" on every setting...

Er I never said it wouldn't look or run better, but the lack of options is a disappointing element of a PC game that I would feel slightly cheated with after waiting months and paying twice the price for it that I got for on consoles.

drkOne

Foliorum Viridum said:
Er I never said it wouldn't look or run better, but the lack of options is a disappointing element of a PC game that I would feel slightly cheated with after waiting months and paying twice the price for it that I got for on consoles.
It would've been better if the options were there, no doubt.
But does it actually change anything? Very slightly.

Maybe it's because I was already expecting a port of this quality, as in, a minimum amount of PC specific settings, but definitely playable.
And it still looks good.

I'd be upset if it was a PC game instead of a port, or from a big PC dev... But it isn't, so I'm satisfied with the port.

Fredescu

AgentOtaku said:
I thought it was the opposite. SR2 was internal and RF:G was outsourced.

Ceebs

Been playing a good bit of this today. Really enjoying the game, but the framerate bounces between 45-60 on me. Can't get any of the ATI profiles to work as far as forcing AA goes or I would just lock it down at 30 and use some AA. It does look very good for a straight console port in motion though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
mm04 said:
I played about 10 minutes worth and ran Fraps. I'm really surprised that my machine doesn't run this better. I'm running it at 1920 x 1080 with an X4 955 overclocked to 3.6ghz, 2 x 5770 in CrossFire, W7 64bit and 4gb of memory. I was probably averaging just a little over 40 fps and it dipped down to just under 30 when stuff was going haywire onscreen. I will say that it looks pretty dang good, though. I'm interested to hear the performance of other PC version owners as well.
I caught this blurb on the Steam forums:

For CrossFire users with low fps...
Just wanted to put this out there for anyone using crossfire and experiencing low FPS. Disabling my second GPU has doubled my framerates. It seems that Darksiders doesn't play nicely with multi-gpu ATI setups (at least on my system with 4870s).

My setup:
E8500 @ 4.0 GHz
2 x 1GB ATI 4870s in CrossFire
8 GB RAM

With both GPUs enabled I was getting 25-30 fps running around at the beginning of the game. With only one 4870 it jumped to ~60 fps (vsync on).

It might help you out. I expect ATI to have this sorted in the next patch, hopefully along with an AA solution.

The game runs really well on my system. While I'm disappointed with no graphical options, I'm excited to play this in 1080p 60 FPS, and glad I waited for the port. Plus the comic and soundtrack came with it! I wouldn't mind some options, or to be able to force AA but I really can't complain knowing how much better it looks and runs already.

mm04

SapientWolf said:
I caught this blurb on the Steam forums:

It might help you out. I expect ATI to have this sorted in the next patch, hopefully along with an AA solution.

Thanks, SapientWolf. I'm gonna try it out in 30 minutes and report back my findings.

EDIT: Sure enough, that fixed it. Over 70 FPS without CrossFire. Thanks a bunch! It's so smooth and looks great now that I've enabled D3DOverrider for v-sync and triple buffering. Totally different experience than what I had before.

Salsa

PC version get. Started today, game looks good, performace is 45 fps at best and about 27 at worst :lol i need to get one more gig of RAM. Still completely playable for me :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So no one has figured out if you can force AA with ATI cards? This news about the framerate being a proper 60 on good PCs has me even closer to buying.

mm04

Stallion Free said:
So no one has figured out if you can force AA with ATI cards? This news about the framerate being a proper 60 on good PCs has me even closer to buying.

You know, I didn't bother to try. I really couldn't see any jaggies at 1920 x 1080 on a 24" monitor, but I don't really look either. It has to be obvious for me to be bothered by it and since you're almost always in motion in this game, it hasn't yet. I'm about an hour or so into it so far. If I were at home, I would've tried to force AA through CCC.

I'm glad I waited for the PC version. The only thing I'm annoyed about is that I missed out on the pre-order bonuses. Oh well, next time I should pay more attention to the date.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
mm04 said:
You know, I didn't bother to try. I really couldn't see any jaggies at 1920 x 1080 on a 24" monitor, but I don't really look either. It has to be obvious for me to be bothered by it and since you're almost always in motion in this game, it hasn't yet. I'm about an hour or so into it so far. If I were at home, I would've tried to force AA through CCC.

I'm glad I waited for the PC version. The only thing I'm annoyed about is that I missed out on the pre-order bonuses. Oh well, next time I should pay more attention to the date.
It's not a deal breaker, but I just got a new TV and 8xAA is obvious on it and it looks delicious.

Tokubetsu

Hope you guys enjoy it. Loved this game to death on 360 (I love fantasy comic book ish and Joe Mad's art in particular) and this was right up my alley. I'll dip on the PC version during a sale.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Stallion Free said:
ATI/Nvidia usually have to patch in AA support for games with deferred rendering.

edit: Sorry, I'm repeating myself. In the meantime, I guess someone can try renaming the exe to Unreal 3 or Bioshock to see if that works.

Bebpo

Banned
Anyone tried this on Nvidia? I'm curious what kind of performance people are seeing.

I wish there was a demo so I can see how it runs on my 260 before dropping $40. Same with Dead Rising 2 :X What's with the lack of PC demos now a days.

mm04

Bebpo said:
Anyone tried this on Nvidia? I'm curious what kind of performance people are seeing.

I wish there was a demo so I can see how it runs on my 260 before dropping $40. Same with Dead Rising 2 :X What's with the lack of PC demos now a days.

This Spanish review site, said this "The title has been tested on an Intel Core i7 -2.80 GHz with 8 GB of RAM and a GTX 260 graphics card, with the few visual options maximized, vertical sync and a little more ...- and a resolution of 1980x1020, always getting frame rates near 60"

Dunno if that helps you at all, but it's something.

Bebpo

Banned
haha, that's basically my setup to the dot, so yeah it helps :) Thanks

Cool. Might pick it up today. Heard good things about it on the console front, but once I heard the PC version was coming I figured I'd wait.

Honestly if the game is delivering 60fps @ 1080p with a 4870/GTX 260 then I'm hardly going to lose sleep over a lack of graphics options that I'd have no use for anyway. Seems the port gets rid of the God awful tearing, doubles the framerate and lets you run at a nice resolution rather than fugly subHD mode on pretty mediocre hardware. Works for me.

Edit: Some nice screens over at Pcgameshardware.de

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,7...piel/Test/bildergalerie/?iid=1437500&vollbild

Ledsen

So after clearing two dungeons I went on to
the desert
. That... wasn't very fun :( Completely linear and like 2 hours long, this isn't what I signed up for! I really wish they'd made it a dungeon instead. Luckily the game has been awesome so far so I'm betting on the rest of the game going back to awesomeness.

forrest

formerly nacire
Ledsen said:
So after clearing two dungeons I went on to
the desert
. That... wasn't very fun :( Completely linear and like 2 hours long, this isn't what I signed up for! I really wish they'd made it a dungeon instead. Luckily the game has been awesome so far so I'm betting on the rest of the game going back to awesomeness.

Yeah
the desert
is definitely a bit of a departure from the rest of the formula. I also wanted it to be a dungeon, but it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the game.

brain_stew said:
Honestly if the game is delivering 60fps @ 1080p with a 4870/GTX 260 then I'm hardly going to lose sleep over a lack of graphics options that I'd have no use for anyway. Seems the port gets rid of the God awful tearing, doubles the framerate and lets you run at a nice resolution rather than fugly subHD mode on pretty mediocre hardware. Works for me.

Edit: Some nice screens over at Pcgameshardware.de

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,7...piel/Test/bildergalerie/?iid=1437500&vollbild

Precisely.

The game is running really well for me. At native res (1080p) I'm getting a great framerate, and notice MINIMAL aliasing. I've gotten over the fact that there isn't much in terms of graphics options because the game looks pretty fucking good stock. Now I can get on with enjoying it.

Dennis

Banned
Performance:

Quadcore 2.93 GHz and ATI 4870x2

2560x1600 35-60 fps

1920x1200 40-60 fps

depending on scene and number of enemies.

Important: Crossfire does not work at all! Before I disabled the second GPU, I only got 15-30 fps!

The only graphic option that can be changed is resolution.
There are no shadows cast by the main character and the lighting is completely flat.
No AA but there was very little aliasing at both 1200p and 1600p so I don't miss it.

I am playing with the 360 controller - works great.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
I just picked this up on the cheap for the 360...I haven't started it yet, but in the box there's a "Do Not Discard" code insert. From searching around, it looks like my chance to redeem it may be long past. Can anyone confirm whether or not this code is of any use? Gracias.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
DennisK4 said:

Don't take this the wrong way but a lot of your pictures don't seem to quite match in game shots, I noticed photoshop in the metadata of your pictures, what adjustments do you make to your screen grabs before hosting them? On OcUK forums your signature states that you have a Dell 30'' 3008WFP (2560x1600), do you screen grab @ your native res and downscale the image?

Dennis

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Don't take this the wrong way but a lot of your pictures don't seem to quite match in game shots, I noticed photoshop in the metadata of your pictures, what adjustments do you make to your screen grabs before hosting them? On OcUK forums your signature states that you have a Dell 30'' 3008WFP (2560x1600), do you screen grab @ your native res and downscale the image?
They have been resized from either 1600p or 1200p to 1050p in Photoshop to make them easier to view for people with smaller screens. This will also remove some of the jagged edges. Though Darksiders look pretty good without AA.

Len Dontree said:
I just picked this up on the cheap for the 360...I haven't started it yet, but in the box there's a "Do Not Discard" code insert. From searching around, it looks like my chance to redeem it may be long past. Can anyone confirm whether or not this code is of any use? Gracias.

I think it's useless, it was for free RFG and an artbook, I think. My buddy offered me his, but THQ told me to eat a dick. So I'd guess they'd give you the same line too -- you can contact cust. serv. at THQ, but I think they'll pretty much keep the same line.

mandiller

I just bought this cheap for the 360 yesterday. I've been wanting to give it a whirl for a while but wanted to wait for the right price. It's pretty enjoyable so far. I see how it gets Zelda comparisons, but still, way too much action and too little story/conversations for it to be like Zelda.

I'm only a few hours in so far. I hope it opens up a bit more, at the moment it's very linear and more like God of War.

Volcynika

Apparently there was a Harvest Scythe weapon you could get from inputting a code on the PS3/360 versions, but that option doesn't appear to be available on the PC version...hm.

Thanks for the performance impressions Dennis, seems reasonably well optimised (outside of the broken crossfire support) and that a 4870/GTX260/5770 is enough for a very steady 60fps @ 1080p.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
corrosivefrost said:
I think it's useless, it was for free RFG and an artbook, I think. My buddy offered me his, but THQ told me to eat a dick. So I'd guess they'd give you the same line too -- you can contact cust. serv. at THQ, but I think they'll pretty much keep the same line.

Thanks. I already have Red Faction so no biggie, though the art book would've been a nice bonus. Ah well!

Volcynika

Had an odd issue pop up during the PC version, I was in the area that you go to for (very early game, post meeting Vulgrim)
releasing Samael, you open the gate, go in the building, go up the stairs on the left and fall down in that big room
, and while I was dealing with the monsters, the game froze for just a couple seconds every now and then, but ever since I left that area and progressed onwards, it hasn't happened since. Not sure if it's just me or what.

Tokubetsu

Volcynika said:
Apparently there was a Harvest Scythe weapon you could get from inputting a code on the PS3/360 versions, but that option doesn't appear to be available on the PC version...hm.

Yea, we got a weapon for buying new that would icnrease the amount of souls you got from kills.

Top Bottom