• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.

artsi

This isn't a problem yet but I'm starting to think long term..

What do you guys do to avoid ho hum routiness settling in. I guess that'salways the trick, huh? Keeping things fresh.

I'm not very spontaneous, so I've been faking spontineity. It's worked so far.

When you spend years with another person that tends to happen. Just do interesting stuff together once in a while, not every day has to be full of events and surprises.

What do you guys do to avoid ho hum routiness settling in. I guess that'salways the trick, huh? Keeping things fresh.

You've got to keep raising the bar in the bedroom. Boring ass missionary or doggy ain't gonna cut it next year. That and keep getting regular promotions at work.

So how do you guys feel about workplace relationships? I wanted to ask one of my co workers out but i'm worried that if it doesn't workout it will make things extremely awkward.

Just don't, been a couple of mega topic here recently you should check out. "coworkers keep hitting on my girlfriend" for starters and the baby daddy guy.

Darknight

As someone with zero social media and looking for the online dating...I will have to make at least a FB account?

Sorta miss Fling, at least the original app. Now its so convoluted and pain in the ass to use. I met some ppl there for a while but got off after a bit. Im sorta a workaholic but want to do something different.

Guess I need some ideas on what apps to get and where to make a profile to get the ball rolling. I think for Tinder you need FB, right?

Scotch

As someone with zero social media and looking for the online dating...I will have to make at least a FB account?

Sorta miss Fling, at least the original app. Now its so convoluted and pain in the ass to use. I met some ppl there for a while but got off after a bit. Im sorta a workaholic but want to do something different.

Guess I need some ideas on what apps to get and where to make a profile to get the ball rolling. I think for Tinder you need FB, right?
For tinder you need FB, yeah. You can just make a new FB account and set everything to private if you don't want to use Facebook.

Since your dick is back to working condition, maybe something to do with that.

Peltz

I don't shy away from it. Routine can be a good thing.

Yes, spice things up every now and then. But there's nothing wrong with having a "rhythm" to your relationship.

gaiages

Banned
Defining yourself by the way you speak is kind of weird to be fair. Plus, like, do you mean you only speak in sarcasm? Should I consider everything you send to me in a message to be sarcastic in nature? If not, why does it matter? It's just odd.

Hmm, you have a point there. I think sarcastic people might say they're sarcastic because some people can't read sarcasm, though. Better to say it than to get into an argument with someone because they thought you were serious :p

So how do you guys feel about workplace relationships? I wanted to ask one of my co workers out but i'm worried that if it doesn't workout it will make things extremely awkward.

It's in the OP. Which you should read.

Yes, it's easy enough to just make a throwaway account...

People have weird hang ups about Facebook.

Hmm, you have a point there. I think sarcastic people might say they're sarcastic because some people can't read sarcasm, though. Better to say it than to get into an argument with someone because they thought you were serious :p

Yeah that's fair. If something I'm typing sarcastically could be perceived as super horrible or fucked up if taken seriously I usually pad it out with eye roll emojis or something haha

Sora_N

What's the best way for me to meet people these days? I rarely get matches on Tinder/Bumble etc and I am horrible with photos. I just can't smile or pose for them.

I just don't want to get so old and not have experience with women.

Raptomex

What's the best way for me to meet people these days? I rarely get matches on Tinder/Bumble etc and I am horrible with photos. I just can't smile or pose for them.

From what I've been told and some obvious answers; working in retail, community events, social gatherings, etc. I guess it depends on where you're located and such, too.

How old are you? Still a virgin? Best thing to do is get a friend to take pictures for you, take a lot so you can choose the best ones.

Neoweee

Fuck dinner dates, especially early on. I pulled a last minute audible (my plans fell through on what would be the last night before she becomes busy for a solid week with travel/guests), and we've been texting a ton the last few days, so I pulled a last minute decision to meet up for dinner. It was okay-- she's nice, there's probably some chemistry, we get along well, but that doesn't change dinner dates (especially quick, time-boxed ones) from kind of going nowhere with little room for escalation.

Don't know if I was better off doing the dinner date than just waiting a week to see her again and dealing with a lot of texting (I'm not huge on texting).

From what I've been told and some obvious answers; working in retail, community events, social gatherings, etc. I guess it depends on where you're located and such, too.

This. Urban/Suburban/Rural are all different, and all different by age and work/school situation. More information is needed.

Also, do more social activities with friends, and be persistent with getting photos. Look at the photos, see what you don't like about them, and fix them. Getting in shape magically makes all clothes look better on you, and makes most photos look substantially better, just by adding a little structure to your form.

Get better at it. No seriously, not everyone is photogenic or w/e but you can get better at smiling and putting on a better face for pictures. Mirrors everywhere bruh. Seriously just try it in front of a mirror. You'd be surprised.

Otherwise best thing you can do is expand your friend group and then use that as a way to be more social and meet people. Bars and clubs and the such are also decent.

Never too old to start.

Fuck dinner dates, especially early on. I pulled a last minute audible (my plans fell through on the last night before she becomes busy for a solid week with travel/guests), and we've been texting a ton the last few days, so I pulled a last minute decision to meet up for dinner. It was okay-- she's nice, there's probably some chemistry, we get along well, but that doesn't change dinner dates (especially quick, time-boxed ones) from kind of going nowhere with little room for escalation.

Escalation? I hope that does not mean no chance for sex. I used to like dinner dates, even if you don't click with the girl you still get to eat a nice meal and try out some new restaurants. Over time you'll learn where the best restaurants are, which makes the dates better.

Is there any way to put that you are a generally quiet person on a dating app without having it sound like a negative? Or just don't even bother putting it?

Either dont mention it or find a way to emphasis you being a listener.

If you are a quite person though, you need to find ways that make people feel you care about them and are interested in them without talking. Being interested in their likes and passions is a start.

I don't think you need to put it, but "I'm a great listener" would probably work
Pretty much this.
Ugh dating is frustrating.

Vegan tattoo girl I went out with Saturday never got back to me with my post date follow up message so I assume she isn't interested. Went out with a girl to grab some pizza about an hour ago, just super quiet barely said anything. I don't know if she was just really shy or just wasn't into me but the conservation was a struggle to maintain so many short quiet answers.

I've gone out with over 10 women since I started dating about 2 months ago and I've only bothered to ask 2 women out on second dates and even then they ghosted me after the second date. Makes you wonder if its me and that I'm doing something wrong here.

You pretty much just have to put in the time and money and social capital to meet a few people you really connect with.

I'm thinking in places to go with her. An amusement park is a fun place for a date? I'm 24 and she's 20, so maybe it's not a typical place to go, but I want she has fun with me, and also I think this place is perfect to talk with her, too.

Find out something she enjoys and try and do that. Crazy first dates are fun but can sometimes cloud your judgement if the date itself was successful in creating a bond between you.

Even when i was in relationships, i was always looking at the event sites for my city. Trying to find something fun to do every week or other week. Try new things.

Get some friends go to a bar or meet up and talk to people. I meet new people every week at drawing and climbing. You just have to get out there on apps or in real life. Reddit has frequent city based meet ups too.

Up your picture game, who wants to be with someone who looks sad all the time. If 6 seconds of the past year you couldn't smile for 2 or 3 of them.
Take pictures with more direct lighting. Outside in some shade with light hitting one side. Figure out which side you look best on.
Try and make yourself laugh or laugh a lot before taking.

Women are always conditioned to care about their looks and image earlier in life. For some men it never occurs to them. When dating apps are a game of looks, embracing caring about yourself and your image will increase your quality as a match significantly.

We have had people in here fight tooth and nail against changing their look. Your clothes rarely make you, who you are. Be yourself but care about how you look, especially in pictures if you are using them to date.

Fuck dinner dates, especially early on. I pulled a last minute audible (my plans fell through on what would be the last night before she becomes busy for a solid week with travel/guests), and we've been texting a ton the last few days, so I pulled a last minute decision to meet up for dinner. It was okay-- she's nice, there's probably some chemistry, we get along well, but that doesn't change dinner dates (especially quick, time-boxed ones) from kind of going nowhere with little room for escalation.

Don't know if I was better off doing the dinner date than just waiting a week to see her again and dealing with a lot of texting (I'm not huge on texting).

i dont like first date dinners because i can get into 3 hour long conversations without food getting in the way of talking.

Yes, it's easy enough to just make a throwaway account...

People have weird hang ups about Facebook.

Wait until she asks him to add her on Facebook, then he explains the paranoid reasons why he doesn't have one, then she's freaked out and there's no second date

Sora_N

Thanks guys.

30. Not virgin but only dated one girl 3 years ago for 4 years.

Grew up shy and introverted but I'm not that introverted anymore.

I've been able to connect with people at all my workplaces so not really that bad at socializing.

I will try to get better at photos to start :)

I'm starting to be more stressed in my relationship than happy. When things are good, I'm happy. But it seems like every other time I'm with my gf something happens that causes stress instead of being able to enjoy each other's company. I also feel like I'm regressing in terms of personal progress I've made in the last few years - I've become more and more social after spending a lot of time in an introvert cocoon, but she has started encouraging more and more antisocial habits.

I'm honestly not sure if this is just part of the normal ups and downs for a LTR or if this is actually bad for me.

Raptomex

Thanks guys.

30. Not virgin but only dated one girl 3 years ago for 4 years.

Grew up shy and introverted but I'm not that introverted anymore.

I've been able to connect with people at all my workplaces so not really that bad at socializing.

I will try to get better at photos to start :)
Whatever you do, keep your shirt on.

Peltz

This. Urban/Suburban/Rural are all different, and all different by age and work/school situation. More information is needed.

Also, do more social activities with friends, and be persistent with getting photos. Look at the photos, see what you don't like about them, and fix them. Getting in shape magically makes all clothes look better on you, and makes most photos look substantially better, just by adding a little structure to your form.

Dinner dates early on have to be super casual... like grab something at a stand and walk with it to somewhere scenic. They definitely shouldn't be formal sit-down things until you really get to know each other.... unless you have a really good feeling about things during the first date.

Come to think of it, I sat for sushi with my GF during the 2nd date, but that was after some barcade action.

Neoweee

Dinner dates early on have to be super casual... like grab something at a stand and walk with it to somewhere scenic. They definitely shouldn't be formal sit-down things until you really get to know each other.... unless you have a really good feeling about things during the first date.

Come to think of it, I sat for sushi with my GF during the 2nd date, but that was after some barcade action.

Yeah, I'm totally on the same page as you. Barcade or street fest was going to be my date idea for next week, but I felt a bit of pressure when texting with her after my previous evening plans had fallen through. I'd essentially be texting with her, pretending to be busy, when I was actually just sitting around playing games (which is a perfectly fine way to spend a weeknight), and knowingly punting on having like 12-14 days between the first coffee date and the 2nd meeting.

Barcades make great early dates, IMO. Fun activity, lots of variety, good opportunities for light touching and being close to each-other, and can easily cut out early if the date is bad, or onto something else if the date is going well.

Peltz

I wanted to bang two women at my office....

...Still want to. But yea... don't do it.

Looks like i cant turn off my ruthlessness. I always go for the win. But skee and pinball machines are awesome.
Nothing wrong with dominating. You can always lean over her shoulder and help her with the controls....

Ever notice how creepy it is when you put eclipses in any sexual sentence....?

I'm starting to be more stressed in my relationship than happy. When things are good, I'm happy. But it seems like every other time I'm with my gf something happens that causes stress instead of being able to enjoy each other's company. I also feel like I'm regressing in terms of personal progress I've made in the last few years - I've become more and more social after spending a lot of time in an introvert cocoon, but she has started encouraging more and more antisocial habits.

I'm honestly not sure if this is just part of the normal ups and downs for a LTR or if this is actually bad for me.
I think a relationship should be about improving each other to be the best versions of yourselves, not regressing to bad habits. Maybe there's complacency kicking in?

Raptomex

I've heard very mixed things about this. Some girls like it, some dislike it, some don't care. Shirtless mirror selfies are normally ugly as fuck though. But a beach pic can be pretty solid.
Well it makes sense if you're at the beach. But random shirtless selfies? Seems ridiculous. As a straight male I get why guys do it but I could never.

Well it makes sense if you're at the beach. But random shirtless selfies? Seems ridiculous. As a straight male I get why guys do it but I could never.

Personally I also find it sorta self absorbed and I can't do it. But like I said, some girls like it, some don't, some dont care. So it's not a net bad.

Also, being honest, when a fit woman does it with a sports bra on I find it hot as fuck and the principle is the exact same. So in that sense I get it tbh.

Raptomex

Personally I also find it sorta self absorbed and I can't do it. But like I said, some girls like it, some don't, some dont care. So it's not a net bad.

Also, being honest, when a fit woman does it with a sports bra on I find it hot as fuck and the principle is the exact same. So in that sense I get it tbh.
True. It goes both ways. I just treat it as if I was going to approach a woman in person.

Example: I'm at the grocery store, I see an attractive woman. I guess I'll take my shirt off and go talk to her.

The thought just makes me laugh.

gaiages

Banned
True. It goes both ways. I just treat it as if I was going to approach a woman in person.

Example: I'm at the grocery store, I see an attractive woman. I guess I'll take my shirt off and go talk to her.

Someone, somewhere, has done that I'm sure.

A dating profile isn't a reflection of how you are going to approach a woman in person though. Do you approach all women with you dog/cat? Do you approach them with all your friends around? Or your parents? Do you approach aftet your soccer game?

It's a pretty eh standard to use honestly. You'd have a boring dating profile if you used that criteria for other things. "I'm not gonna approach you on the great wall of china so I guess I'm not gonna use this picture".

No shoes. No shirt. No service.

You're def right

Raptomex

No doubt.
A dating profile isn't a reflection of how you are going to approach a woman in person though. Do you approach all women with you dog/cat? Do you approach them with all your friends around? Or your parents? Do you approach aftet your soccer game?

It's a pretty eh standard to use honestly. You'd have a boring dating profile if you used that criteria for other things. "I'm not gonna approach you on the great wall of china so I guess I'm not gonna use this picture".
Never thought of it that way. I guess it depends on how you look at it.

No doubt.

Never thought of it that way. I guess it depends on how you look at it.

It's sorta interesting. I dont really want pics of ne posing infront of my mirror floating around. Also I think it's douchey. But I have no conclusive evidence that it is good or bad in terms of appeal.

So in a sense, if you got it flaunt it.

Raptomex

It's sorta interesting. I dont really want pics of ne posing infront of my mirror floating around. Also I think it's douchey. But I have no conclusive evidence that it is good or bad in terms of appeal.

So in a sense, if you got it flaunt it.
Same principle behind sending unwarranted dick pics? I'm just curious as to the thought process.

Male: Hello.
Female: How's it going?
Male: [dick pic] send nudes?

I can only imagine some women's reactions to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom