• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT7| Tough Love

Salamando

Mama bird, the condom collector...

And here I was worried that I might be weirding people out with (potentially) dating a 21 year girl (i am turning 31).

You guys surely delivered.

If you want weird, try being a girl on FetLife. Kinda-Racist girl is on there and was contacted by a breeder. Not of horses or animals...his kink was getting women pregnant. I don't like to kinkshame, but this necessitated an exception.

Weirdest I have first-hand experience with was erotic-Star-Wars-roleplay girl.

I think I may have been too subtle.
I think so too 😅
Speaking of not doing things:

Good luck, lol.

Your other advice was ace though, be wary of work relationships though.

ALSO FUCK RUNNING I HATE IT IT'S BORING AAAAAAAAA
I'm not too worried. I'm working retail and weather it does or doesn't work out with the girl it has yet to become a distraction or anything crazy. Although I guess all it takes is just one...

Oh god don't get me started on cardio. Shit is the worse but alas, it's gotta be done.

gaiages

Banned
Not only do you look better but you feel better and both show. Plus it makes you release more sexy pheromones.

The more weight you lift the more manly you are.

I guess I'm manly then :p

Visible strength is a biological signal to other women that triggers attraction.

Gotdatmoney already told someone to not do this, so don't.

Running is cool but I fucking hate doing it every time

Same. I really gotta start doing it though once the humidity around here dips down a bit, it would help a lot with endurance and strengthening my lungs (I have mild asthma so the latter would help a lot). Can't wait for fall/winter :D

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.

lmfao

Xun

I'm not a fan of running either, but I need to get to it.

I need to start cycling more again too...

artsi

Of course preferences are individual but my personal experience has been that as I've lifted weights and my physique has got better my dating life has also got a significant boost.

But still, that's not the reason I lift.

Of course preferences are individual but my personal experience has been that as I've lifted weights and my physique has got better my dating life has also got a significant boost.

Well that's not really a surprise though. Say what you will about personal preferences, but there's a physical preference which the vast majority of society finds attractive, and it's the look constantly blasted at people through magazines, ads, movies, TV etc.

I get extremely paranoid that I'm way too boring as a boyfriend.

I once feared that this might be a problem for me, until I look at the dudes I know in relationships and realised that it's not that hard to be interesting, exciting and spontaneous enough to make someone happy. It's not like they're going to drop their work and hobbies to stare at you, expecting entertainment 24/7 lmao

Ernest

Banned

Absolutely!

Staying in shape is purely for me, also the act of it, be it running or lifting, is something I want to do. If you feel forced into doing something, you're not gonna sustain it.

I'm in the same boat. I've never been a particularly active person. I'm not technically overweight, but I'm on the higher end of my average weight/height. Most of my fat seems to be stored in my belly still (why can't I store fat in my boobs and butt).

Over the weekend while visiting the girlfriend, we got to talking about health and made a commitment to each other to start at least logging everything we eat in MyFitnessPal with the intention of starting couch to 5k soon.

Agreed, just asking for clarification. At least you learn to spot Facebook angles right away.

I am still gulity of the Facebook angle from time to time. It makes me look good, and I like to look good, although I don't think for me Facebook angle really looks that much more different than my normal self.

LordKasual

Banned
Is it this important to lift weight? I see many people care about this and use it as an ace card in seduction.But wha t is really strength?Brute force is no that much neededin modern life?
What is it to be a manly man?

makes you look better, it makes you feel better

subconsciously increases your confidence, even when you don't immediately look any different but absolutely when you do begin to notice

by making an effort to get in shape, you are slowly changing the kind of person you are, and those changes seep into the way you carry yourself.

It just naturally makes you look and act more attractive. That's why so many people say to do it.

Ozorov

giphy.gif

;)

LordKasual

Banned

I need to force myself to get in shape. Since i've started this new job of mine, i've gained like 40lbs over the last 2 years from eating like shit. People tell me that I don't "look fat" because i'm tall. But I feel fat because...well, i gained 40lbs.

but lifting absolutely makes you more attractive, both from an increase in self confidence and from women just naturally being more attracted to you.

The difference in the type / frequency of women i've been attracting over the course of these last 2 years is staggering. I was skinny and basically pulling women by mistake

feelsbadman

What is the Facebook-angle?

Phone above head, slightly tilt to the side, offset horizontally a bit, side eye the camera, duckface to hide cheeks

lift even further behind your forehead head to hide more fat

extreme filters to hide even more fat

just take the picture horizontally for ultra slimming illusion. Possibly upside down if you're feeling creative

gaiages

Banned
What is the Facebook-angle? I guess it's some angle that makes you look non-fat if you're fat or something.

It's basically posing yourself to hide less than picture perfect parts of yourself, yeah.

I tend to angle my face up slightly to hide my double chin, for example. You can only see it when I'm looking down, so I just... make sure not to take pictures of me looking down. I've also angled my arm slightly behind me in a mirror selfie for my dating profile once because I was self-conscious about them (I no longer care because I can't help genetics lol).

It's stuff like that.

Ozorov

It's basically posing yourself to hide less than picture perfect parts of yourself, yeah.

I tend to angle my face up slightly to hide my double chin, for example. You can only see it when I'm looking down, so I just... make sure not to take pictures of me looking down. I've also angled my arm slightly behind me in a mirror selfie for my dating profile once because I was self-conscious about them (I no longer care because I can't help genetics lol).

It's stuff like that.

I see. The last date I went on, she must have been the Queen of Facebook-angles.

I'm in the same boat. I've never been a particularly active person. I'm not technically overweight, but I'm on the higher end of my average weight/height. Most of my fat seems to be stored in my belly still (why can't I store fat in my boobs and butt).

Over the weekend while visiting the girlfriend, we got to talking about health and made a commitment to each other to start at least logging everything we eat in MyFitnessPal with the intention of starting couch to 5k soon.

I am still gulity of the Facebook angle from time to time. It makes me look good, and I like to look good, although I don't think for me Facebook angle really looks that much more different than my normal self.

Congrats and making an effort to better yourself and get healthier.

If you are relatively healthy. couch to 5k isnt a great beginner routine. 3.1 miles is 30-40 minutes of walking/jogging.

Raptomex

Facebook angles? Are they the same as Myspace angles? Am I getting too old?
Yeah, I don't know what that means either.
I like to take my pics slightly angled to the side. My face isnt symmetrical so straight on pics always look funny to me.
Are you sure it's not your phone (if you're using one)? I find that pictures taken with a quality camera, even head-on, look better than anything taken on my phone.

br3wnor

Been seeing someone for just over a month now. It's been going crazy well. We're only really able to hang weekends in the meantime due to distance between us, but we're both more than up for making it work, and it's something we've discussed.

We've also got things planned for months away, gigs, weddings, places to visit, etc, and we're both really excited for it all.

I've got a nice weekend planned for her birthday this Friday, and I'm going to properly meet her parents on Saturday.

I just wanted to give a little context, before putting forward a question. I really want to tell her I love her. I'm pretty crazy about her, and I think it's mutual. I just think a month is too probably too soon, and don't want to come off crazy. Just wondering what experiences were like around here on how long it took for the word to be used, and who popped it first?

Thanks,

I told my wife I loved her after about a month of dating, she said she had wanted to say it at that point too but didn’t want to come off as weird, she also felt I’d take longe to say it so wanted me to be the first. It’s gonna be totally up to the person in terms of how they’ll react, I’d meet the parents first, maybe wait a few more weeks and if you feel ready, give it a whirl. There’s no harm in playing it safe and waiting longer than you’d like on the off chance the person might think a month is too early.

I told my wife I loved her after about a month of dating, she said she had wanted to say it at that point too but didn’t want to come off as weird, she also felt I’d take longe to say it so wanted me to be the first. It’s gonna be totally up to the person in terms of how they’ll react, I’d meet the parents first, maybe wait a few more weeks and if you feel ready, give it a whirl. There’s no harm in playing it safe and waiting longer than you’d like on the off chance the person might think a month is too early.

I waited for about a month of dating iirc before saying telling her I loved her. We both kind of felt each other first and discussed that we both were wanting to tell each other that but didn't want to say it too early to each other. Once we talked about it, we had no problem saying it once, and now we say it fairly constantly to each other. We say it at least once every couple of hours plus waking up and going to bed.

Congrats and making an effort to better yourself and get healthier.

If you are relatively healthy. couch to 5k isnt a great beginner routine. 3.1 miles is 30-40 minutes of walking/jogging.

I am out of shape, so I figure it's a good starting point.

I waited for about a month of dating iirc before saying telling her I loved her. We both kind of felt each other first and discussed that we both were wanting to tell each other that but didn't want to say it too early to each other. Once we talked about it, we had no problem saying it once, and now we say it fairly constantly to each other. We say it at least once every couple of hours plus waking up and going to bed.

I am out of shape, so I figure it's a good starting point.
Cool! best of luck.

I can take pictures pretty straight on and be good to go. I like to angle them for affect though.

I have officially been 2 weeks without any dating apps! it feels good. I had time to play video games. PUBG will ruin the my free time now.

I always look way better than my pics, does that have a name?
Same. I dunno. I heard a theory about people with assymetrical faces tend to look better in person.

Never take portrait photos straight on, the worst angle. That's why passport photos tend to be universally awful.
I look handsome as fuck in my drivers license
no i dont
Its actually pretty funny. Any time I have to show my ID they do a triple take because I'm balding with a thick beard now and in my photo im clean shaven with a full head of thick hair. I dont look like the same person at all.

Yeah, I don't know what that means either.

Are you sure it's not your phone (if you're using one)? I find that pictures taken with a quality camera, even head-on, look better than anything taken on my phone.
Yeah they are with my phone. The shit front camera too. I'm never arojnd people taking photos. I dont even know if I know anyone with a nice camera.

PUBG has been great for keeping me away from the booze.

gaiages

Banned
My bf and I said it after about a month, but we were spending SO much time together at each others' places that it was bound to happen anyway.

I've been dating my partner for a little over a month and half and we still haven't said I love you to each other. In the past I always felt I said it too soon upon reflection so with her I really want to mean it when I say it. Plus my girl is so awkward at expressing her feelings through words, I joked saying that when I eventually do tell her I love her I'm expecting her to just giggle or say awesome or something awkward. How do you guys tell if you really do genuinely love someone and it's not just the new partner affection talking.

Cool! best of luck.

I can take pictures pretty straight on and be good to go. I like to angle them for affect though.

I have officially been 2 weeks without any dating apps! it feels good. I had time to play video games. PUBG will ruin the my free time now.

Thanks!

Good for you!

PUBG is incredibly fun. If you want to play with someone, hit me up or the PUBG GAF discord server. There's always people on there.

vypek

Lol. As I was reading the posts above I was thinking to myself I remember when they were called MySpace angles. But as far as I know, they are the same thing.

afroguy10

Jesus, the ex is making me feel like shit.

I broke up with her, I'm aware she's upset and I know she wants more concrete answers than I gave her but she text me a couple of hours ago asking if I wanted to go for a drive to talk but I don't so I told her and now she's just text me "Fair enough...".

I feel shit about the break up, I don't like hurting people, especially not her and she was really upset and I'm happy to listen to her if she wants to get it out of her system but I'm not getting in a car with her.

Proper bumming me out.

Gotdatmoney already told someone to not do this, so don't.
No, lying to that person and telling him that being a scrawny person is perfectly fine is worse than telling him that being in shape and fit is going to get him better results with the average woman.
Exes are desperate, cut off all contact or be extremely curt for the indefinite future.

I broke up with her, I'm aware she's upset and I know she wants more concrete answers than I gave her but she text me a couple of hours ago asking if I wanted to go for a drive to talk but I don't so I told her and now she's just text me "Fair enough...".

I feel shit about the break up, I don't like hurting people, especially not her and she was really upset and I'm happy to listen to her if she wants to get it out of her system but I'm not getting in a car with her.

Proper bumming me out.

Block her number, ignore. You dumped here, you have to exercise some control to minimize communication. She aint gon get over you if you are still talking.

Meifu

I've been dating my partner for a little over a month and half and we still haven't said I love you to each other. In the past I always felt I said it too soon upon reflection so with her I really want to mean it when I say it. Plus my girl is so awkward at expressing her feelings through words, I joked saying that when I eventually do tell her I love her I'm expecting her to just giggle or say awesome or something awkward. How do you guys tell if you really do genuinely love someone and it's not just the new partner affection talking.

In a relationship for a month or "dating" for a month?

I can tell she's trying to goad an argument out of me now.

I'm not biting, answering her questions about picking my stuff up from hers this weekend and avoiding anything else.
Ice cold. But you gotta be clear, you know. Just remember to stay compassionate through the whole thing.

afroguy10

Ice cold. But you gotta be clear, you know. Just remember to stay compassionate through the whole thing.

Thanks, I'm trying to be as nice as I can be in the circumstances, I'd rather it not end with a big argument. I'd rather just pick up my stuff this weekend and move on without any drama.

No, lying to that person and telling him that being a scrawny person is perfectly fine is worse than telling him that being in shape and fit is going to get him better results with the average woman.
Honestly someone who doesn't want to date you, not hook up with you, because you're not swole isn't someone I want be around. The girl that mentioned the weak guy things sounds like an asshole, for example. It's probably true, but still.

Lots of scrawny small guys get girls. Going to the gym is not going to put you anywhere without the personality to back it up. Is it generally better for your chances than being unfit? Yes. Is it that important? No. Especially if you aint trying to date exclusively instafame people.

Honestly someone who doesn't want to date you, not hook up with you, because you're not swole isn't someone I want be around. The girl that mentioned the weak guy things sounds like an asshole, for example. It's probably true, but still.

This is true.

Lots of scrawny small guys get girls. Going to the gym is not going to put you anywhere without the personality to back it up. Is it generally better for your chances than being unfit? Yes. Is it that important? No. Especially if you aint trying to date exclusively instafame people.

This is also true.

Go to the gym because you want to be healthy. Lift weights because it's fun, clothes fit better, and because muscle helps with burning fat. (And honestly, being fat is rarely a desired characteristic in potential partners - that's harsh but a statistical truism.)

Fitness is important. Sensitivity is. Intelligence, humor, and compassion are. Good sex is. Cooking skills can be. Same goes for love of animals. Basically, everyone prioritizes different things; however, it's better to be fit than not.

Kinda like how, in a vacuum, it's better to speak a foreign language than not.

That said, muscles don't fix being a douche.

What's MySpace?

And yeah, PUBG is super fun and addicting. I had to disable public chat immediately though, because holy shit that's one toxic trashfire.

Lots of scrawny small guys get girls. Going to the gym is not going to put you anywhere without the personality to back it up.

This is true, but having a good physique definitely increases your opportunity to get first dates, which in turn allows you to display your personality to people who may have initially discounted the idea of dating you due to a lack of sexual attraction. This appears to be more important in online dating than meeting people at bars or clubs or whatever, though.

Top Bottom