• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daughter Dying, Dad Can't Leave Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

image3953462g.jpg

CBS) Ten-year-old Jayci Yaeger is dying of brain cancer, and has one final wish -- to have her father spend some time at her bedside before she dies.

She's in a Lincoln, Neb. hospice.

However, her father, Jason Yaeger, is in a federal minimum security prison in South Dakota, serving five-and-a-half years for a drug conviction. He has less than a year left in his sentence, and is set to be released to a halfway house in four months.

Jason and the Yaeger family have appealed many times to the warden for a 30-day supervised release, which could be allowed under "extraordinary circumstances." However, the family says these appeals have been denied, and the prison tells them the circumstances are not "extraordinary."

"She's very scared," Jayci's mother, Vonda Yaeger says, "and I think she's holding on for her father. She didn't do anything wrong. He was there for her when she was born. He should be there for her when she goes."

Jason, she says, was always a very good father to Jayci.

The Early Show had an exclusive interview with Vonda on Thursday. Click here to see the interview.

Vonda said "the tumors are growing and hemorrhaging, and right now there's nothing they can do for her, just keep her comfortable," reports CBS News affiliate KMTV in Omaha, Neb. "She's very scared, and I think she's holding on for her father."

KMTV's Michelle Bandur reports that the family says they'll keep fighting to get Jason out to grant his little girl's last wish. "She didn't do anything wrong. He was there for her when she was born. He should be there for her when she goes."

Story Here

I can't understand why he couldn't be with his dying daughter, all he's asking for is a month of supervised release, it's not like he's a murderer or a rapist or something.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Linkzg said:
If the father was a killer, I might understand not letting him leave for different reasons, but that isnt the case.

Sums up my feelings exactly, it's a drug conviction!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Yes, yes. Welcome to America.

Where killing someone is less of a crime than getting high.

reilo

HotByCold said:
Oh, now gaf sympathies with him?
What happened to torturing and raping criminals?

It's a fucking drug conviction. And a 5 year one at that - which means he probably had an ounce of weed on him.

LCGeek

formerly sane
reilo said:
It's a fucking drug conviction. And a 5 year one at that - which means he probably had an ounce of weed on him.

Sounds like it my sister's bf just got 5 for some shit that really wasnt his but since it was his car and people he thought were his friends won't man up he's fucked. Country needs to change the laws on low level drug offenses to shit and actually start going after the real people who are making the problems the producers, lawyers, and laundering bankers.

Branduil

That's pretty sad and they should let him see her.

At the same time, whether the drug laws are good or not, you have to know the risks you take when you buy them, and if you're not prepared for the consequences you shouldn't buy.

whitehawk

Banned
reilo said:
Wait what? You can go to jail for weed? In Canada if you're caught with like less than 40 grams (or maybe 10, I forget) it's just taken away and you get a small fine. More, and they assume you're dealing, so you get a small criminal record + fine. I'm pretty sure you can only go to jail if you have tons of plants in your possession.

But holy crap, why wouldn't they let him out? His crime was related to drugs, it's not a big deal.

HotByCold

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
Goddamn, just leave this thread.
I should leave the thread?
I've always protected the rights of criminals from savage gaf and you say that I should leave this thread?!
I'm outraged.

reilo said:
Yes, yes. Welcome to America.

Where killing someone is less of a crime than getting high.

How do you get that from this story?

Perhaps if he wasn't asking for 30 days and just went for a week or ten days, they'd be more willing to let him go. Seems like extraordinary circumstances to me, but on the other hand, he broke the law.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
This reminds me of Shawshank redemption for some reason. Hopefully karma screws the warden in the end like in the movie.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
whitehawk said:
Wait what? You can go to jail for weed? In Canada if you're caught with like less than 40 grams (or maybe 10, I forget) it's just taken away and you get a small fine. More, and they assume you're dealing, so you get a small criminal record + fine. I'm pretty sure you can only go to jail if you have tons of plants in your possession.

But holy crap, why wouldn't they let him out? His crime was related to drugs, it's not a big deal.

Yeah, Canada gives approximately two shits about drug possession. But America strings people up by their toes when they catch you with any amount of green. Mind you, cops rarely care enough to go looking for drug users, but if they happen upon one, the legal system is pretty harsh.

Dali

r2mi53.jpg

reilo said:
Some forum says his conviction was methamphetamine related.

This is why the press is so important to democracy. I suspect (or at least hope) that there will be enough public outcry over this that something will get done.

Jesus . . . how about just fucking chaining him to the radiator next to her bed and giving him one of those bracelets. It is fucking insane to not give a dying child such as easily grantable wish.

reilo

whitehawk said:

Don't know what his conviction is. Some states have fucked up laws:

In 1973, New York State introduced mandatory minimum sentences of 15 years to life imprisonment for possession of more than four ounces (113g) of a so-called hard drug.

JodyAnthony said:
i have zero sympathy for the guy
It was a drug conviction.

No one should be in jail for possession of a drug. No one.

Squirrel Killer said:
Dealing meth, actually.
Dealing meth is a different story, but this is still ridiculous. I want to kick whoever denied his request in the balls or in the vagina with a steel-toed boot. And I can kick pretty damn hard.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
How do you get that from this story?
Clearly that was an exagerration . . . but it does happen in fact. With 2nd degree murder and manslaughter convictions and mandatory minimum sentences for various drug offences, it often happens that people can get more time for drug offences than killing people.

The drug laws are seriously screwed up in this country . . . people want crazy wars and everyone locked up but they don't want to pay for any of it. You gotta prioritize.

lawblob said:
sucks for them.... but I don't have much sympathy.
Well how about some sympathy for yourself then you unsympathetic bastard?

Why should you pay lots of tax dollars for a prosecutor, a public defender, a judge, a court, a prison, prison guards, prison food, prison medical care, etc. just for this guy's stupid victimless crime?

speculawyer said:
Clearly that was an exagerration . . . but it does happen in fact. With 2nd degree murder and manslaughter convictions and mandatory minimum sentences for various drug offences, it often happens that people can get more time for drug offences than killing people.

The drug laws are seriously screwed up in this country . . . people want crazy wars and everyone locked up but they don't want to pay for any of it. You gotta prioritize.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, although I do have little tolerance for drug use of any kind, other than perhaps a little weed. They definitely need to back off on small amounts of marijuana, and they have here in Texas. They were just clogging up the courts with frivolous crap.

But to say that drug use is more of a crime than killing someone is a pretty big over exaggeration. And in the case of 2nd Degree Murder or Manslaughter, those are often used to define killing someone when there are mitigating circumstances. But I do see your point.

Teddman

speculawyer said:
This is why the press is so important to democracy. I suspect (or at least hope) that there will be enough public outcry over this that something will get done.
What they need to do is publish the specific names of the people on the appeals board and begin getting people to write, email, call, etc. They should be public officials, so there's nothing wrong with that.

Once they're not anonymous, they'll no longer be able to rubberstamp a denial on this guy's furlough request without actually considering it.

JodyAnthony said:
i have zero sympathy for the guy

however i have a ton of sympathy for the girl

It's the sympathy for the girl that make me hope they get the stick out their ass and let her father see her. He just missed the last four years of her life and he'll be kicking himself forever for that. Just let the girl die happy seeing her father one last time.

If there wasn't a huge demand for meth in the first place, he wouldn't be selling it.

Blame the job market that pays college graduates in some fields <$35,000 a year and less than $25,000 a year for most jobs without a degree.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I don't necessarily disagree with you, although I do have little tolerance for drug use of any kind, other than perhaps a little weed.
I did some lines of cocaine a few months ago. What's your opinion on that?

Green Shinobi said:
It was a drug conviction.

No one should be in jail for possession of a drug. No one.

Dealing meth is a different story, but this is still ridiculous. I want to kick whoever denied his request in the balls or in the vagina with a steel-toed boot. And I can kick pretty damn hard.

like it or not, even if it was just possession, it's against the law. you know the risks going into things, you deal with the consequences.

Gaborn said:
Still, would you deny even a meth dealer 1 month with his dying daughter? just a freakin MONTH, and supervised!
Well, they did just give him two supervised visits in the last month already. How many should he get? What if she doesn't die in that month, should he get another month? Also, although the family keeps saying, we're not asking for his release, the Federal Bureau of Prisons statement, in full technical jargon, says that what he was denied was a "Compassionate Release."

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
and to those who have zero-policy/no tolerance / no sympathy for the guy:

i'm sorry that DARE had such a big impact on you, but you do realize (and keep in mind i am NOT condoning the use/sale of meth) that most drug charges are 1) frivolous and 2) brought on by inherently racist policies?

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Most of you are missing the point. Even if this man was a cold blooded murderer and in this situation I'd still let him see his daughter. It's not about the man it's the 10 year old daughter here. Who cares what the father did, it's about the daughter.

Edit: I agree wholeheartedly chid

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I think I did a pretty good job of explaining my opinion.
I should be in prison then? You're a jackass if that's your opinion. Amirox would be serving some serious time as well.

JodyAnthony said:
like it or not, even if it was just possession, it's against the law. you know the risks going into things, you deal with the consequences.
There shouldn't be a risk.

Branduil said:
Well that explains the Lakers fanhood.
10/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom