• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave-Buster Report: The State of The Arcade

I have to say I didn't have the highest expectations when the idea struck me to hang out with a friend at Dave and Buster's a week ago. There'd been an arcade cabinet I'd actually been planning to try out for a while, but it'd been over five or so years since I'd been to an Arcade so I had no idea what state I'd find it in, let alone what condition it'd be in. I remember going to the Arcade always being an exciting experience as a kid, but with Arcades considered long past dead, I had an apprehension in the back of my head that this was going to be a sad, decrepit experience.

ZERiXWNw.jpg

So it was my surprise to find the place rather vibrant and lively. It was late afternoon on a Sunday, so while it was probably more busy than most weekday afternoons it wasn't exactly peak hours, but the arcade floor was pretty crowded with families and party-goers, with practically every game worth playing having someone plugging away at it. The floor was basically split in half, functionally speaking, with arcade games on one side and ticket games on the other, and there was a decent variety of games there to play. I actually missed the game I'd wanted to play the first time I walked around the game floor, only to realize the simulator rides had all been clustered around the center. So far so good.

The floor wasn't spotless of course; some of the card readers were cracked, one of the House of the Dead stations wasn't functioning, and there was an issue with one of the simulator games as well I'll get to in a bit. But all in all it was far from the depressing zombie of an arcade I was worried it'd be. Plus the food I got at the Sports Bar & Grill wasn't half bad either, but then again I'm an American used to Chili's and Applebee's, so take that for a grain of salt.

The first game me and my friend played was some quiz thing, not a whole lot to talk about there. So the first real game that caught my eye was...

RAZING STORM

rscabinet.jpg

A spin-off of the Time Crisis series, Razing Storm effecticely does to the TC series what Assault Horizon did to Ace Combat. The foot pedal to pop up from cover remains, but the weapon selection has been stripped in favor of all machine guns, all the time, except when you're handed even deadlier weapons for scripted sequences. While not 'completely' mindless (popping up and taking cover is important, especially with bosses and heavies) the focus has shifted from weapon selection and coordinating which enemies to shoot first, to more of guns-blazing, human wave experience, at least in the beginning. It feels as if it's a cross-breed of Time Crisis and L.A. Machineguns (which unfortunately I could not find :/). As thoughtless as the combat could get at times, it probably was one of my favorite experiences at the arcade, and a good deal of that is because of the haptic feedback of the guns, which really pulled me into the experience. It was one of the few games I played multiple times.

feature-RazingStormStory.jpg

-These dudes jumped me all at once, just to be all mowed down.

We followed up this Trigger Happy Havoc with an oldie but a goodie...

DAYTONA USA

118124210235.jpg

-DAAAAYTOOOOOONAAAA!

...Unfortunately, neither of us were particularly good at it. I'd've thought that, you know, actually driving for over six years would have made me better at racing games in arcades, but nope, I'm just as bad as ever. It was definitely less of an arcade-y experience than I had anticipated, if you don't put a lot of thought into how you take turns you're likely to be smoked. It was a nice bit of nostalgia, but I wasn't particularly interested in dropping more credits just to be lapped by the CPU.

Next up...

GUITAR HERO ARCADE

gha_cabinet_large.png

It's Guitar Hero. That's about it. I'm not familiar enough with the 'feel' of the games or their tracklists to give an indepth examination of it, but if you've been to at least a handful of locations that have arcade machines, like say a bowling alley, odds are you've seen this there. It plays well from what I remember playing GH back in the day, and definitely had fun playing against a friend. It definitely has an addictive 'pick up and play' feel, which is how we ended up playing each other three times. But it's not exactly something you'd go out of your way to play, especially if you or someone you know owns one of the GH or Rock Band games and instruments.

Wait, what's that signal in the sky? It's...

BATMAN

batmanarcade.jpg

Well, this was certainly... interesting. Technically predating Arkham Knight, this game feels like if you took the Batmobile segments from that game and somehow made them even more arcade-y. You're basically firing bullets and missiles (as well as pick up weapons like batarangs) to blow up enemy cars, AA turrets (as the Batjet), and collect information, the objective changing as you progress mission to mission as part of the level you've chosen. The levels are sort of a qausi-open world; turning the wheel at an intersection essentially magnitizes you to going that path, with arrows pointing at where you should go. In practice, it just felt really chaotic to play. I woulsn't say it was necessarily unfun, but it just felt too loose in a way that didn't lend itself to a structured arcade experience. I dunno if I'd recommend it.

Specular-Batman-Arcade-B.jpg

-Don't worry, those are rubber bullets... right?

Returning to more familar territory...

TIME CRISIS 4

time-crisis-4-20070613042243603.jpg

Now this is Time Crisis-ass Time Crisis. Your default weapon is a pistol, unlike Razing Storm, and you switch between weapons by shooting off screen. Properly choosing enemies to engage and matching them with the right weapon is key, giving the game a tactical edge that Razing Storm often lacks. It's still engaging, especially with the rumble akin to Razing Storm's, and there are neat scenarios where you need to pivot around to hold off enemy soldiers. It isn't quite as cathartic as Razing Storm, but there is a general feeling of greater skill involved that benefits the experience.

...But then there's these motherfuckers:

codenamed%2Bterror%2Bbyte%2Btime%2Bcrisis%2B4%2Bbio%2Bweapon%2Bdeveloped%2Bby%2Bmilitary.JPG

-Nanomachine Terror Bytes, Son.

These fucking things are so unfun to fight; they have none of the satisfaction off dropping a human enemy and just. keep. coming. I get they were trying to mix things up with having a 'grey goo' style enemy, but they should've known emptying clips into bullet sponge swarms wasn't anyone's definition of fun. I kind of wish I had tried out Time Crisis 5, which was on the other side of the unit, but for some reason I never got around to it.

Still, it was a better experience than...

HOUSE OF THE DEAD 4

house%20of%20the%20dead%204%20cap%201.jpg

I'm kinda surprised I ended up so down on this one too; I had fond memories of playing the series way back when. It's just, for whatever reason, there wasn't any feedback with the guns. And that made all the difference in the world. After the weighty feel of both Razing Storm and Time Crisis 4's guns, HotD's shooting simply felt flaccid. So sadly I don't have much to say about this game beyond that it was disappointing.

Moving onto newer games now...

LUIGI'S MANSION ARCADE

luigis_mansion_arcade_1.jpg

It was interesting to see how Luigi's mansion was translated to Arcades; in this case it was as an on-rails first person shooter. And I have to say they translated the mechanics rather well. Using the flashlight and then playing tug of war with the vacuum around the screen felt good (well, most of the time), and the 'spooooky' charm of Luigi's Mansion was in full force. The only issue was that the machine at times had trouble tracking the Vacuums, particularly my friends, so he tended to do worse than me as the reticule would blink out or fail to move properly. Also the game was treated as a more premium experience, not as much as the simulators, but more than the more responsive Time Crisis games. So while it was an enjoyable experience, it wasn't quite worth the premium, but I'd gladly play it again.

luigis_mansion_arcade.jpg

Continuing with Mario...

MARIO KART ARCADE GP DX

mario_kart_arcade_gp_dx.jpg

The newest Mario Kart Arcade game; it was a rather large set of units, four machines hooked up to each other, allowing a full on race. There was almost always people at it, so sneaking in a race was difficult, though finding partners wasn't. As someone who hasn't been keeping up with the Mario Kart series, I had a blast with it. Nearly won it too, if it weren't for some goddamn bubble or bag that swallowed me up right infront of the finish line goddamn it.

So yes, this is definitely a Mario Kart game.

Lastly, the simulators, starting with the one I really wanted to play...

MACHSTORM

namco_mach_storm.jpg

AKA, Ace Combat Assault Horizon with the serial numbers sorta filed off. This is an arcade game essentially based around ACAH's Close Range Assault mode (and liberally borrows from that game's assets as well), and you know what? Arcade is the perfect venue for that kind of gameplay. The production values are great too; it's a domed screen, with air blowing on you to simulate take-off and flight, so it was easy to get sucked into the experience of jerking the plane around in all sorts of aerial gymnastics. Despite using ACAH's models and aesthetics, much of the game feels like a throwback to Ace Combat's arcade origins (the tracks are actually remixes of Air Combat 22's 80s cheese rock OST, the last Ace Combat game to come to arcades before this), with planes suicidally flying into your flight path to be shot down by cluster missiles, while you weave and bob through the Miami or Dubai skyline. To be honest, a bit of fanboyism might be showing through here, but it just felt right to play, as silly an experience as it was. I'd've played it more if it weren't pretty exhausting to do.

And finally, long ago in a galaxy far, far away...

STAR WARS BATTLE POD

star-wars-battle-pod.jpg

Feels a little bit bad to end my survey of the game's I played on a little sour note, but it's kind of impossible to talk about the game without talking about MachStorm, the game it is clearly developed from (It, like MachStorm, was made by Project Aces). Right off the bat though there was a technical issue; either the screen or projector lens was smudged, resulting in a greasy smear over a large portion of the center of the screen. It didn't obscure gameplay, but it was pretty unsightly and definitely detracted from my game-play engagement. The game differs from MachStorm in that instead of the mission being to destroy all the enemies as they pop up (with an objective at the end), Battle Pod intersperses the free-wheeling fighting with 'objectives' that have to be fulfilled. While MachStorm also has objectives, the way Battle Pod incorporates them often disrupts the flow of the mission, pulling me away from the raw joy of piloting a snow speeder. Plus I lasso'd a grand total of zero AT-ATs in my time with the game, so there's no way to describe it other than a bit of a bummer.

Star-Wars-Battle-Pod-Hoth-2.jpg

CONCLUSIONS

So despite a couple of letdowns, on a whole I was honestly a bit impressed with my time at Dave and Buster's. Not just the quality of the games there, but just the overall atmosphere. Yes, several of the newer games there were arcade ports of mobile games, and yes many of the 'classic' style arcade units were over 10 years old, but you know what? I'm okay with that. (There was a clear lack of fighting games though as far as I could see, which obviously would be a big disappointment for some) There were enough games to entertain me and my friend, and in general a positive vibe of a lot of people having fun, that I didn't really mind that I'd lost my half used card and had to buy a new one. What mattered was that I was having a good time playing games with friends. And really, isn't that what going to the arcade is all about?

Brofield

Dude, let me say you NEED to play Star Wars Cabinet with a clear lens. This is what I expect Star Wars Rogue Squadron to play as on VR whenever it gets made. It is worth EVERY PENNY.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Isn't Time Crisis 4 on PS3? I've been meaning to check that out, but like there is hardly any Arcades (even Dave and Busters) around locally to see that from start to end.

serenewarfare said:
Wasn't D&B playtesting Tekken 7? They should definitely bring that over in arcade form.

They tested it, it wasn't successful. So they dropped it.

There's a Dave and Busters not too far from me that I've gone to a few times. Mario Kart DX is easily the best game there. You're Dave and Busters actually has more worthwhile games just by the ones you've listed alone. The complete lack of fighting games is also an issue at mine and it's a real shame. I'd be more willing to go if they had some Virtua Fighter or something. Too many B-list rail shooters and gimmicky games imo.

I played the Batman game last time I went and it's a mess. I actually glitched the game and went out of bounds completely by accident so I was just driving around in a void until the timer went to 0. Fun.

There's a Dave and Busters not too far from me that I've gone to a few times. Mario Kart DX is easily the best game there. You're Dave and Busters actually has more worthwhile games just by the ones you've listed alone. The complete lack of fighting games is also an issue at mine and it's a real shame. I'd be more willing to go if they had some Virtua Fighter or something. Too many B-list rail shooters and gimmicky games imo.

I played the Batman game last time I went and it's a mess. I actually glitched the game and went out of bounds completely by accident so I was just driving around in a void until the timer went to 0. Fun.

I think the issue with fighting games is there's more of a barrier to entry in terms of learning the ropes and mechanics. I wonder if Arcade versions included a truncated Story Mode of a game that it might be a way of hooking in casuals more.

Heh, speaking of gimmicky games; back when my D&B was a Jillian's, it had this great game called Hyperbowl, where you'd roll a ball down one of a variety of themed lanes, having to go past obstacles to get to the pins. I know this probably sounds dull to a lot of you, but as a casual bowler and it being 2000 and all, it seemed really impressive to me. But obviously it got dated pretty quickly, and they were removed by the mid/late 00's.

I do wish they had LA Machine Guns or Die Hard Arcade, though. Those are classics I'd love to play again. Or HYYYYYYDROOOO THUUUUNDEEEER!

Went there last weekend to play Dance Dance Revolution A and was presently surprised. Was going to go back today but it's too freaking hot! :(

They didn't have eamuse cards though which was very annoying. <_<

Cuburt

It is kind of cool to walk in an see brand new arcade machines with elaborate new experiences but once I see how much they cost and how the games feel (and look) like they've unearthed a lost MAME ROM from 2002, it sucks a lot of the excitement out of it for me.

When the giant tablet/mobile games like Fruit Ninja look better than the huge machines, you know arcades are phoning it in.

It makes me realize VR would be the perfect thing to give arcades a shot in the arm. I'd have to think a headset would be cheaper than a huge dome or rail shooter type experience and potentially get better looking support. D&B just needa to partner with Occulus or Sony or something.

I'm thankful for what I have, I'll take a D&B over one of those "Mega-Funplexes!" any day.

Heh, Actually I remember Discovery Zone having a small-ish Arcade back in the day.

Newboi

None of the Dave & Busters in my area have fighting games. My favorite part of arcades back in the 90s was playing the fighting games.

BiggNife

Round1 save us

Round1 needs to get to the east coast. I'd love one of those in NYC.

I enjoy D&B from time to time but they're definitely designed to cater to the casual crowds so it's mostly redemption games with some fun rail shooters here and there.

I was hoping the Pokken location test was successful but I guess not.

Starviper

We just got an Updown location here in Minneapolis. Really great place with 50+ retro arcade cabinets that are in good working condition, pinball machines, and like 60+ beer taps to choose from. They've been doing really well since opening; i've only been there twice but each time every single arcade game had people on it.

pje122

Was just there today.
The Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games 2016 Arcade Edition is honestly so much fun.
And Pac-Man Battle Royale or whatever it's called is always great.

mollipen

Round1 save us

I wish I lived closer to the two Round 1s we have here in LA (or that there was another closer to me). I wasn't really expecting them to be nearly as good as the Japanese originals, but was pleasantly surprised. They even have the colored-by-weight bowling balls!

Have one near me that gets new games occasionally. Me and my friend beat Time Crisis 5 one afternoon. That was fun. And Mario Kart is always a blast.

Yeah, Batman was awful when I tried it at Round1 a couple years ago. Basically designed as though the license means that it doesn't need to be tested or balanced in order to take your money.

Regiruler

I wish my closest D&B had a House of the Dead 4. Deadstorm pirates is admittedly pretty fun (and despite having no reload and fully auto it is closer to HotD than time crisis due to no defense mechanic), but it's not the same experience. If you see a deluxe edition cabinet go for it, because to my knowledge the stages new to the deluxe edition never made it to the console version.

I need to play the challenge mode version of luigi's mansion. I cleared the basic version with my brother and found it to be too easy once you got into a pattern, as they were very generous with the aiming.

Time Crisis 5 is really good and to my knowledge up to date D&Bs have it ("outdated" d&bs should have a better selection of real games so take what you get), so it's a reliable thing to play. Pretty good bosses.

Regiruler

There's a Luigi's Mansion Arcade?

Fuck I wish arcades were still a thing in the states.

Luigi's Mansion arcade is D&B exclusive in the states (I don't know if its still under location test phase or if it's just straight-up exclusive, because it seems to be reasonably popular).

Figure out if there are at least 2-3 games you want to play in full and you can justify an hour drive each way, IMO.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Luigi's Mansion arcade is D&B exclusive in the states. You have to check for your nearest location.

Figure out if there are at least 2-3 games you want to play in full and you can justify an hour drive each way, IMO.

Closest Dave & Busters is five hours away.

The state of arcades through the lens of DB doesn't look that great. Most DB's I've been to have the same stuff -

I do wish they had LA Machine Guns or Die Hard Arcade, though. Those are classics I'd love to play again. Or HYYYYYYDROOOO THUUUUNDEEEER!

I stopped going when my DB got rid of ferrari F355 challenge. Hate those guys.

- The DB in Hollywood FL being the exception, as it actually had both of these games when I last visited in 2014. It's one of the few that has "oldie but goodie" or location unique titles. It's where I first saw Dark Escape 4D. Other places didn't get that until a year or so later.

Round 1 is where its at now, but they're starting to get a little stale. My local one keeps getting Rhythm game updates, but no new fighters. The last new one was School of Ragnarok in 2015, but it's not that great.

The "newest" fight cab they have are 2 NESiCA PC cabs, loaded with older titles. I couldn't believe that it had 2 versions of Persona Ultimax...

...why is Atlus/Arc Sys sitting on 2 pc versions of this game?

We just got an Updown location here in Minneapolis. Really great place with 50+ retro arcade cabinets that are in good working condition, pinball machines, and like 60+ beer taps to choose from. They've been doing really well since opening; i've only been there twice but each time every single arcade game had people on it.

Great to hear this is doing better than Insert Coins - which I think was too clubby for a gaming bar.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
...why is Atlus/Arc Sys sitting on 2 pc versions of this game?

Because Atlus is dumb and doesn't want free money. Though, they'd have to port Persona 4 for folks that haven't played the series before.

Nauren

I take my son to D&B to let him experience what arcades are like sometimes. I'll throw 30-40 bucks on a token card and he swipes it and plays for hours. There are some pretty nice cabinets there.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Anyone been to the East Coast Round 1 Arcades? How are they?
very very good
diverse mix of fighting games (VF5FS, GGXX, KOF13/98, 3S, XvSF, TvC, ST, Tekken Unlimited, more)
solid shmup selection (Espgaluda, Strikers 1945, Mushihimesama, more)
great rhythm game selection
they have Initial D 8th Stage

somehow no Daytona USA though! OP should learn how to play Daytona because it's GOAT

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
We used to hit up the D&B in Philly back around 1999, and it was actually much better. Menu had much nicer items, and there were more arcade games from companies you knew.

Last time I visited one several years ago it was loaded with machines to win tickets, and arcade machines from oddball companies. Big and bulky machines that you climb into definitely dominate the floor space.

RS4-

Why the fuck isn't there a round1 in Toronto. Why isn't there like two of them?

Haven't been to D&B, not interested either. Across the street I sort of have D&B-lite.

I want a legit arcade back here.

I went to the Dave and Buster's in Nashville a few months ago and I was disappointed, because the Daytona USA I played and Ghost Squad were broken.

Come to think of it, all of the Daytona cabs I've come across recently have had some kind of problem. Classic Sega games are the only reason to go to the arcade for me, so it's really sad to see them broken so often. It makes me want to cry.

Edit: I did go to an arcade while I was in Korea earlier this year that had a Daytona 2 PE that was in marvelous condition. I wanted to take it home with me.

The state of arcades through the lens of DB doesn't look that great. Most DB's I've been to have the same stuff -

I mean, I should clarify that this is through the lens of someone who's main exposure to arcades growing up was game rooms at Cici's Pizza and Bowling Alleys, so I might have lower standards than people who'd regularly go to arcades.

I can't really begrudge them too much for having ticketed machines because really a lot of their customer base is kids and parties and the like. If there was a Round1 near me I'd check it out, but I'm not driving all the way to Dallas to see that. As it stands I wouldn't mind going by DB once a couple months or so, as long as I went there with a friend.

- The DB in Hollywood FL being the exception, as it actually had both of these games when I last visited in 2014. It's one of the few that has "oldie but goodie" or location unique titles. It's where I first saw Dark Escape 4D. Other places didn't get that until a year or so later.

I think I saw that at my DB, but I didn't do it since it sounded like a kind of hokey haunted house thing. I'm sorta interested in trying escape room stuff though.

Regiruler

very very good
diverse mix of fighting games (VF5FS, GGXX, KOF13/98, 3S, XvSF, TvC, ST, Tekken Unlimited, more)
solid shmup selection (Espgaluda, Strikers 1945, Mushihimesama, more)
great rhythm game selection
they have Initial D 8th Stage

somehow no Daytona USA though! OP should learn how to play Daytona because it's GOAT
What about lightgun games?

rpmurphy

The highlights for me at a recent trip to the local D&B were definitely Luigi's Mansion and other fun ones like Pac-Man Battle Royale and Mario & Sonic @ Rio Olympics.

I'd rather have a Round1 and next year can't come soon enough since they are slated to open up in the Atlanta area!

Meia

To be honest there could've been a fighting game crammed in a corner in the back I missed. MachStorm was the marquee cabinet I was really interested in trying out.

Doubt there was. I've been to a D&B both near me and in RI when I visited a friend, and both were basically identical in terms of arcade machines. Because it's a big source of income for them I guess, there's also a ton of machines that pump out tickets for purchases, and there's a lot of arcade versions of iOS games there that do that as well. I've never once seen a fighting game in one though, only shooters, racers, and ticket dispensers.

I'll also give a +1 to the food at the restaurants in them to be pretty damn good, and they usually do promotions with food choices that give you money to use in the arcades as well(both of the D&B near me are in malls that have theaters, so usually have promotions with them as well).

Top Bottom