• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cage Q&A: Heavy Rain Sales & Critical Response Beyond His Wildest Dreams

Baki

This is an excerpt from IndustryGamers interview with Heavy Rain Creator David Cage.

IndustryGamers: So now that the game's been on the market for a little bit, what's your reaction to how it's been received? It seems like one of those polarizing titles because some people just can't get into it and says it's nothing more than an interactive movie while others love the emotionally driven narrative. So what is your take on the reactions and has the game exceeded expectations?

David Cage: It's way above my expectations in my craziest dreams, to be honest with you. We thought the feedback would be very polarized until the game was released, but now that it's been released we see that out of 373 reviews the game has an average of 9 out of 10. So it's actually not polarized at all. What is very interesting also is that the mainstream press reacted very positively to it; these people usually only talk about games because of violence or addiction issues or whatever. But they talked about it because it was very new, really original and innovative. Most of all, it's gamers who know whether it's interesting or not, and the game really exceeded any expectations during the first two weeks. It's sold out in many countries and the sales definitely exceeded what we expected. The word of mouth seems to be incredibly positive about the game, when reading reviews and talking to gamers. Sony did some investigations about satisfaction ratio and it's between 90 to 95 percent. So it's polarized between the people who played it and didn't play it, because for those who played it's really, really positive.

More at the source.

He goes on to discuss what could be the next challenge for the team in the rest of the interview.

lljride

Excellent news, glad to see it sold well. I loved HR and with this success I'm sure they'll get a chance to do something else big, and I can't wait to see what it might be (whether an HR sequel or new IP).

ap_sally_field2_070223_ssh.jpg

GhaleonQ

"So it's polarized between the people who played it and didn't play it, because for those who played it's really, really positive."

"I don't think that all video games should be what Heavy Rain is. We need to continue to make games based on violence and action and explosions, because there's a market for that." (Wait a second....)

"So now I want to write more personal stories and maybe stories that have not been told before, because I now understand the grammar and how to use the words in the new language of interactive storytelling. I want to go further."

"And there are also many interesting changes awaiting us regarding the online space. So this is something we are going to explore in the very near future."

He's so easy to hate.

Prine

Banned
David Cage is now on the list. The guy has a great mind with alot of potential. Any game from him is now a must buy, well done Cage.

Gomu Gomu

How did Heavy Rain do so well? Don't get me wrong, despite what I think of the game itself, I'm very happy it did well. But HOW? the game was different, obscure and there was no ground breaking ad campaign or anything like that. And yet, it did very well.

LCfiner

GhaleonQ said:
"So it's polarized between the people who played it and didn't play it, because for those who played it's really, really positive."

"I don't think that all video games should be what Heavy Rain is. We need to continue to make games based on violence and action and explosions, because there's a market for that." (Wait a second....)

"So now I want to write more personal stories and maybe stories that have not been told before, because I now understand the grammar and how to use the words in the new language of interactive storytelling. I want to go further."

"And there are also many interesting changes awaiting us regarding the online space. So this is something we are going to explore in the very near future."

He's so easy to hate.

you cut off the whole quote:

"We need to continue to make games based on violence and action and explosions, because there's a market for that. And we need to continue to make games for kids and teenagers because, again, they buy games and it's only fair that we create games for them"

it's not an original sentiment, but at least it's sensible, unlike your edited version.

edit:

Gomu Gomu said:
How did Heavy Rain do so well? Don't get me wrong, despite what I think of the game itself, I'm very happy it did well. But HOW? the game was different, obscure and there was no ground breaking ad campaign or anything like that. And yet, it did very well.

well, Gaf always says that PS3 owners don't buy games...

spwolf

GhaleonQ said:

you can be an idiot and not read complete article but pull an sentence out... for instance:

DC: I don't think that all video games should be what Heavy Rain is. We need to continue to make games based on violence and action and explosions, because there's a market for that. And we need to continue to make games for kids and teenagers because, again, they buy games and it's only fair that we create games for them. At the same time, I think we should create games for a mature audience, for people who are older and are not interested in killing monsters in corridors. These people are looking for something else, something with more emotion and more meaning. This is what we're trying to achieve with Heavy Rain. Many critics wrote that there will be a before and after Heavy Rain, and that's really what I hope – that it will open other doors for people to realize that you can create an original IP that is not in an established genre, take a lot of creative risks, and if you do it right, this is what the market wants because it can sell.

Davidion

Good that he's doing well, though I didn't really love the demo.

Statements aren't controversial enough though; guess it'll be a short thread. :lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
IMO this is great for the industry. I bought and managed to play through the title. I wasn't a huge fan of the gameplay mechanic, but I have to say I would love to see more games like this. With all of this acclaim and sales we are all but guaranteed to see more from this 'interactive movie' genre.

Rad-

Gomu Gomu said:

Err I don't know how it was in US but in EU Heavy Rain's ad campaign is one of the biggest I've seen this gen.

Edit: Holy shit there's a dude called Futtbuck here. :lol

RbBrdMan said:
IMO this is great for the industry. I bought and managed to play through the title. I wasn't a huge fan of the gameplay mechanic, but I have to say I would love to see more games like this. With all of this acclaim and sales we are all but guaranteed to see more from this 'interactive movie' genre.

SAVE US NINTENDO, SAVE US.

I'm glad it's doing well commercially. I want more games like this. Well...maybe not exactly like this, but I mean...games that aren't shooters. Don't get me wrong, shooters are great. I just think there's too much of them. At any rate, Heavy Rain was a much needed change of pace for me. I loved it.

Congrats QD and Sony for funding/help support, well deserved. Cage can do better and go on further from HR though, can't wait to see his next project :D

PS Move support later in the year please and I'll definitely play through again a few times.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Rapping Granny said:
He's not making a Halo game.
Flawless victory.

So what does Jett thinks about Heavy Rain? He bashed the game and David Cage pretty hard before release.
(He even bashed Uncharted 2 before release, and no Jett i will never forget it!)
;)

cornerman

Interfectum said:
destroyed :lol

Well I guess with everyone calling him out on "edited" versions, I'll probably never get the answer to that question. Ah well, I thought Heavy Rain was a great game; nice change of pace from what's usually served up. Can't wait to see what Quanitc Dream does with their next title. Redemption from the 2nd half of Indigo Prophecy :)

Baki

Gomu Gomu said:

Well in the US, there seems to be a core subset of PS3 owners that buy highly reviewed exclusives. Case in point, Demon Souls and Heavy Rain.

In Europe it had an excellent marketing campaign.

andycapps

I'm very interested to see what he comes up with for the next game that will seemingly have some online component be an important facet of the game. I'd be willing to bet that he's not going to have a separate single player and multiplayer part on the menu, it's going to be integrated into the main game. Maybe it'll just be something like Demon's Souls where you see the outline of what people are doing in the game and people can join in when they want and help you out or whatnot.

I kinda feel bad because I really hated it after I found out the story and personally I don't think it makes much sense (No debate on it here, just saying), but the guy seems so enthusiastic I can't help but want him to succeed. Kinda like Nickelback, I mean Chad Kroeger looks like such a gigantic fucking wanker but god love him he just wants to make music, and even if that music makes my ears bleed, who am I to tell him no?

Plus, it's good that Sony took a chance on this stuff rather than just using the money to keep churning out sequels. Sony really are great when they want to be.

Dennis

Banned
It used to be cool to hate on Nintendo and Wii Fit, but hey, now we got Heavy Rain to destroy gaming!

All aboard the hate train...choo...choo!

Personally I am glad that a game so different as Heavy Rain can be succesful - the game reminds me of the good old days of adventure games when story was king.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Gomu Gomu said:
I thought there was a pretty significant ad campaign.

Anyways, people will buy games of any genre. The arbitrary division of genres into "mainstream" and "niche" is just that--arbitrary. There are lots of shooters that flop and lots of supposedly niche games that don't. I mean, 2D platformers were considered basically dead at one point; now, something like NSMBWii is about as mainstream as you can get. Pokemon is pure turn-based. World of Warcraft has tons of buttons and complexity and demands a huge time investment. There are lots of other examples.

My point is, every game is "niche" or "different" until it becomes a hit and inspires the next wave of clones. I don't see anything that would have kept Heavy Rain from success.

Well deserved success.

Now that their future is certainly bright, I'm sure they'll need a good IP lawyer and that's where I'm coming in. David, si tu lis ceci...

GhaleonQ

LCfiner said:
you cut off the whole quote:

"We need to continue to make games based on violence and action and explosions, because there's a market for that. And we need to continue to make games for kids and teenagers because, again, they buy games and it's only fair that we create games for them"

it's not an original sentiment, but at least it's sensible, unlike your edited version.

Uh, what?

"I don't think that all video games should be what Heavy Rain is. We need to continue to make games based on violence and action and explosions, because there's a market for that. And we need to continue to make games for kids and teenagers because, again, they buy games and it's only fair that we create games for them. At the same time, I think we should create games for a mature audience, for people who are older and are not interested in killing monsters in corridors."

That was his quote. I cut it because Heavy Rain doesn't have mature themes. It is a thriller game based on violence, action, and explosions. That's fine. I just thought it was a weird putdown.

Rapping Granny said:
He's not making a Halo game.
Fersis said:
Flawless victory.

I'll join the laughter. Doesn't GhaleonEB have a Halo avatar?

Azerach said:
Uh, what?

Name 1.

Azerach

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
Heavy Rain doesn't have mature themes.

Uh, what?

Edit:

Nudity, sex, use of illegal substances by ingame chars, the
cutting of the finger
was one of the gruesomest scenes i have seen in videogames even tho there are a lot of games with over the top violence.

Boney said:
After Farenheit, I'm not touching anything this guy ever produces.

If you enjoyed it in the slightest, you should at least give heavy rain a try. It's a much better game - more polished, better character development, better story, more "intuitive" use of QTEs, etc.

UrbanRats

Azerach said:
Uh, what?

Edit:

cutting of the finger
was one of the gruesomest scenes i have seen in videogames even tho there are a lot of games with over the top violence.
Maybe it tries to go for mature themes, but for the most part, the horrible writing bring it back to Earth.
That said, i think it's an important step, and even though i DON'T think it's the future for all of gaming, i'd like to see this new gnre expand.

Good game. It was filled with some questionable plot holes and the actors were hit or miss. Overall though it's an interesting expiernce and would like to play another game like it with more polish.

andycapps

Azerach said:
Uh, what?

Edit:

cutting of the finger

That and..

Deciding whether to kill a drug dealer that the Origami Killer told you to kill, just so you could get the next clue to where you son is. Having another scene as Madison where you were doing movements with the controller where you were stripping for a slimy jerk in a club (or having the decision to not do so and try a different way of getting it) so you could get information from him.

Those are pretty mature themes, IMO. Rather, they'd fit right at home in an R rated thriller, which was kind of his goal as far as making something for adults.

Top Bottom