• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cox Hints At Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 For 2012

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Loved the first one. One of the best impulse buys I've ever made. The atmosphere and art were top notch. I'm definitely on board for a sequel.

Stop the camera from constantly bobbing when stationary, then we're good

I like LoS, though, despite its many flaws. Its a BIG game, and I think the bigger the game, the more problems it bound to have(hey Skyrim), but it has a lot of fun ideas and it was a mostly enjoyable 20 hours.

Grisby

I think it'd be neat to (spoilers for LOS ending peeps)
have the first half of the game in the past and then the second half in the future, ala form the first games ending.

TGMIII

I still haven't gone back to the first after it deleted my 15 hour save on the final boss due to a bug they knew about. Hopefully in the sequel they add the ability to make more than one save file, or Q&A their game.

eshwaaz

I really enjoyed Lords of Shadow. I've never been a Castlevania fan; I was just looking for a fun action/adventure game, and got exactly that. It certainly has its fair share of flaws, but overall I felt it was quite good. So many gorgeous and memorable locations and environments.

zlatko

Banned
If this is true, then Diablo 3 just got bumped down to my #2 most anticipated game of 2012.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow is by far my favorite action/adventure third person game of all time. <3

Teknoman

So the question is...playing as Count Dracula or another Belmont/member of the Morris family?

Also more orchestral remixes of classic Castlevania themes.

I thought it was alright, maybe I'll get the sequel for half off, but I felt the pacing in the first game really needed a lot of work.

I thought it was all over the place and while it had a good length(though I still beat it within about 13 hours...) that doesn't mean shit when there's boring/bad parts within the game that just feel like they are there to extend your playthrough time.

the chris

If this is true, then Diablo 3 just got bumped down to my #2 most anticipated game of 2012.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow is by far my favorite action/adventure third person game of all time. <3
8liae.jpg

Grisby

This news comes out just as I am trying to beat a dragon skeleton boss in Castlevaina 3. SO excited and 2012 just got awesome.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I find the love for this to be so bizarre! I find Lords of Shadow to be tied with Darksiders on the 'totally ruining their own potential' scale.

The characters are cool, but everything they say (especially the stage introductions) comes out like a waft of flatulence.
The combat mechanics make sense, but you'll get hit out of nowhere with enemy attack animations that aren't telegraphed.
The game looks gorgeous but has a wonky static camera and runs like trash.
Most levels are generously sprinkled with platforming that simply doesn't work properly.

Maybe I need to give it a stronger, but more forgiving shot, because I'm having a tough time justifying it even at 20$ with Symphony of the Night included.

RyudBoy

I can't believe I bought the first DLC for $10. Didn't bother with the second one. Excited to hear there may be a sequel coming.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I stopped playing it like two thirds in. Loved the atmosphere it created, and the music. Battle system was mediocre at best. I have to keep playing it. I have to see this "surprising ending" everyone is talking about.

In the epilogue there are two parts to the surprise I guess, one is pretty easy to guess as you play the game and if you're into the series, the other I guess is meant to be a "omg" moment I assume but kind of just left me thinking "why on earth have they done that?"

It isn't anything special though, I would just watch it on Youtube or something and get it out the way, from memory you didn't miss a whole lot from the last third of the game besides watching the story go downhill quickly.

ezekial45

Banned
The only thing that ties it to the older Castlevanias is that your main weapon is a whip and it has a horror theme. That's a very loose connection, so in my eyes it's only Castlevania by name.

Well it is supposed to be a reboot/re-imagining of the brand. It still retained much of the adventure/horror and gothic elements that the series is known for, while still doing it's own thing.

I think they did a great job with it, and it's very much worthy of the series name.

TreIII

Give me at least a locked 30 fps, and I'll be interested. I still haven't finished the first game because it literally gave me a headache to play the thing for more than a short period.

Derrick01

Banned
This is instantly going near the top of my most wanted list this year, I wasn't sure if 1 sold good enough for a sequel. It was a great game though.

Though we NEED a PC version this time. The framerate problems need to be fixed.

rozay

Banned
Looks like the SOTN fanboys have found this thread!

Anyway, the developer hinted there's a new engine (or at least a big upgrade to the previous one) so hopefully it'll help the shaky framerate. I am definitely looking forward to thi

Sydle

I wanted to like the original game so bad, but I just couldn't come to grips with the controls and a general clunky feeling. I'll keep an eye out for changes in the sequel...

Well it is supposed to be a reboot/re-imagining of the brand. It still retained much of the adventure/horror and gothic elements that the series is known for, while still doing it's own thing.

I think they did a great job with it, and it's very much worthy of the series name.

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was a decent game once I was able to come to terms that it is not a Castlevania game. I had to see it as its own thing to kind of enjoy it. To me, the biggest offense was the changed the genre. It went from action-adventure to a DMC-clone. I understand they were trying to reboot the franchise, but to make such a fundamental change is too much.

I'd be ok with this. The first game was on the verge of being good, but the boring combat and crummy framerate held it back. I loved the art and soundtrack though.

1st game was decent enough that I'd be interested in a sequel. It did have some great art and graphics and I never noticed terrible FPS. But I do hope a sequel improves upon the combat and makes it less boring. The game needed more to its combat. Also the story was terrible so either drop that plot or try to well I bet bet we're screwed here either way.

LOCK

This is great news since I thought the first was a really great game.

However, I still want my Metroidvania on the 3DS.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Spoiler for the ending of the first game:
I hope it will be in modern day, like it was hinted in the scene after the credits. It could be interesting.

Gross. That would be horrible. That would totally squander the setting's potential. That is, unless they pull an Aria of Sorrow, and the entire thing is
inside some gothic, remote location. Whipping skeletons in Times Square sounds fucking dumb as hell.

Also the story was terrible so either drop that plot or try to well I bet bet we're screwed here either way.

What the fuck would be the point of doing a sequel if they entirely dropped the plot? That would be beyond stupid.

Also, the story was awesome. It was the braindead narration and the way by which they told the story that was awful.

NeoUltima

Curious to see what direction they go with the sequel. Particularly whether or not they actually go through with the
modern day
stuff or not.
First game was great. Not the most original gameplay mechanics, but the presentation and atmosphere were superb. Also, the ending was one of, if not my biggest, "o shit" moment in a game ever.

Also, the story was awesome. It was the braindead narration and the way by which they told the story that was awful.

At times the dialogue/narration seemed liked something a 5 year old wrote lol.

Cheska

At first I read this news excitedly because I was eager to see how they explain the ending in the sequel, but then I read this post:

It is a real shame that they explain the epilogue "surprise" of LoS in DLC, I had assumed it would be explained if they ever did a sequel, but if they ever do an actual LoS sequel and not just another Castlevania they are either going to have to explain it in some lame manner so as not the make the DLC worthless or mention it in passing which would be rather lame for what I would consider a pretty big story point.

I haven't played the DLC, but do they really explain everything that happened to Gabriel?

Foffy

Banned
People are surprised? There have been enough implications the week the first game came out that they're working on a sequel. The surprising bit is I believe it was slated for 2013. Then again, MercurySteam made a Castlevania prototype for 3DS, so if it's still slated at that target time they can work on a portable entry.

The ending and the way the game conclucded is probably the worst thing the series has to its name next to Castlevania Judgment. It's like the plot twists were planned by a 14 year old. My only demand for the game was knowing it was planned as something to 'forget everything you know about Castlevania', I would hope they wouldn't make a childish twist as a BIG thing.

They did exactly that. The game implodes literally once you start the last level in the main game due to all of this.

NeoUltima

I haven't played the DLC, but do they really explain everything that happened to Gabriel?
Mainly just how
he becomes a vampire
. The DLC must have had a low budget cause they use cheap pseudo animated cutscenes. And the story in the DLC, including the reason why
he becomes a vampire
isn't very good either imo. It was just too much for them to try to squeeze into a low budget DLC.

Khezu

Fix the framerate.
More weapons.
Less, but bigger areas.
No weird SoTC style bosses.
Less japanese story.
Like half the length, LoS was way to long.

Fix these and shit would be golden.

Fix the framerate.
More weapons.
Less, but bigger areas.
No weird SoTC style bosses.
Less japanese story.
Like half the length, LoS was way to long.

Fix these and shit would be golden.

Fix the framerate.
Less japanese story.

Agree with these two your spoiler recommendation makes me want to punch you.

LowParry

I thought the length of the game was perfectly fine. But yeah, less SotC bosses and more like the knight battle. That was hella fun. And please, get some real Castlevania music that we all love and enjoy. It's fine if it's without those crazy awesome guitar rifts but c'mon. Let's get some of that good'ol fashion music back and full form instead of mild melodies.

Foffy

Banned
And please, get some real Castlevania music that we all love and enjoy. It's fine if it's without those crazy awesome guitar rifts but c'mon. Let's get some of that good'ol fashion music back and full form instead of mild melodies.

That's not the direction Konami wants. Araujo was requested by Konami to abandon the 'effeminate' style normally associated with the series in terms of its music.

Top Bottom