• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: I’m sure the next God of War will be PS4 PS5, of course it will!

Umbral

I’m not mad about this in the least. As long as there’s a 60fps mode and they add some extra on top, it’s all good.

Games look ridiculously good nowadays, especially Sony first-party.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Got me, definitely didn’t beat miles already and currently playing Ghost of Tsushima on it..

All my well laid plans and photo shopped pics got me nothing....

Bringing up miles morales witch is a cross gen game when talking about another cross gen game is really that odd to ya? So fragile
Isnt Halo Infinite also cross gen game 😁. Difference is we actually know what that looks like (shite), and it's amusing to hear you all of all people talk about fragility - at least you have the other fratboys to back you up though.

Malakhov

Banned
Was expecting this, would be a really stupid business move otherwise. Ps5 will have nowhere near the ps4 userbase when it releases, you would cut yourself a considerable market.

Last edited:

NT80

I really hope this is a PS5 exclusive and they really push the boat out with it to show what the next gen can do. The GOW games have always been really impressive looking and I was looking forward to this being one of the first real standard bearers for the PS5. If it's cross gen it'll kill a lot of the hype for me. I say that despite not having a PS5 and not likely to get one for a couple of years. Your not going to get your install base up on PS5 until you create enough of an incentive to own one.

rofif

Banned
Here Gaf- I made this for you :)...

ps4 and ps5 are so similar that there should be no problem for both versions to exist.
They can downgrade ps4 version with moderate effort but it should not affect ps5 version too much or at all.
Unless they will skip 2021, then I would expect them to drop ps4 version.
Or as You said - they want to push ps5 but as of now, Consumers cannot pull enough ps5 :D

Last edited:

Yoda

This'll limit the types of environments they can do. Assuming they hold themselves to the same level of visual fidelity the most recent game had it'll still require things:
* like tight corridors which basically mask a loading screen (IO constrained by 2013 HDD)
* minimal world interactivity (CPU constrained by base PS4)

From a biz PoV makes a lot of sense though, it's not enough for titles like these to drive sales of consoles, they need to fill Sony's coffers as well.

in my opinion, it would be disappointing asf if true

So you actually think a game coming out this year, a sequel of a 2018 game is actually a PS5 exclusive? There's no possible way for it to be. Not even HZD which has have more time to develope will be exclusive

The clickbait headlines from people taking this guy at face value when all he's done for the past couple of years is stream and get infected with a terminal case of the TDS are hilarious. Gotta get them ad impressions and views!

begotten

Really, It's not obvious?

People buy next gen consoles, to play next gen games, in the hopes they are fully optimized and using that new tech to innovate and advance the way we play.
Now, when a developer has to design a game that can run on both old and new software, there is, in fact, a high potential of the older software limiting what you can do with your game design. See how the new Ratchet game has you hopping dimensions at the flick of a switch? You wouldn't be doing that if it were a PS4 game. People want games designed for the powerful hardware they splurged on. It's obvious.

You don't know what you're talking about. Move along.

Boneless

People cares about what he says or believes becausee he is the creator of God of War and Twisted Metal, and he still has many friends working at Sony in top positions, and specially on Sony Santa Monica. He isn't a random internet user like you.

Some people could care about what he thinks about the game story for example In this case, he doesn't know shit, its simply what he thinks which is just as valuable as anyone with some experience in the industry.

I'm fine either way, but in case PS5 is fully stocked at that point I think a PS5 exclusive would be better, as the game can be a system seller.

FranXico

People cares about what he says or believes becausee he is the creator of God of War and Twisted Metal, and he still has many friends working at Sony in top positions, and specially on Sony Santa Monica. He isn't a random internet user like you.
Irrespective of his role in past God of War games, he has actual experience in the industry. People would do well to take that into account.
Having said that, you don't have to always agree with him. And I don't think he would want people to always agree with him.

Last edited:

yurinka

Irrespective of his role in past God of War games, he has actual experience in the industry. People would do well to take that into account.
Having said that, you don't have to always agree with him. And I don't think he would want people to always agree with him.
Yes, people doesn't need to always agree with him, because like everybody else he can be wrong when saying his opinion or guessing something while especulating. I didn't say we have to always agree with him.

I say that due to his working experience and his contacts with who are making the game (Sony and Santa Monica), even if he doesn't have direct info of if this game will be crossgen or not and was just guessing, he has more related insider knowledge from many sources to make a better guess to predict their next moves by reading in a more accurate way what they do or say (certain people leaving, certain Ryan quotes compared to what he knows of related executives of certain profiles, certain decisions like to make Morales, Sackboy and Horizon crossgen, his experience on what Sony did in similar cases in the past, if he heard that other announced or unannounced are crossgen or not, etc).

Thanks, sir.

Last edited:
I'm sorry David, but that clip in the OP, sounded like (especially for the general public, like us) you just let out confidential info on Ragnarok being cross gen (which is just hinted but not confirmed), that you discussed with your former colleagues (who you probably interact very regularly, and trusted you with this info) and you trying to damage control it, by throwing Jim Ryan under the bus citing his previous stance on "generations" and his recent 180's.

Jim Ryan sure makes some stupid corporate shake-ups and is responsible some key people leaving the organization, sure, but when those key people who walked off (like you) say something about the organization, people, especially fans and journalists watch them with eagle eyes and ride on them for ad revenue.

Gonna watch you new video now.

The logic behind saying just because PS5 isn't a top of the line PC, therefore there's no reason to want the best possible version made exclusive for that platform is just plain silly. The PS5 is still extremely powerful with far less limitations than the PS4. Undoubtedly there will be significant compromises if you have to make a cross-gen version, particulary if it has anything to do with gameplay systems that require more CPU complexity, or the super-fast SSD when it comes to rendering complex level designs that can load in entire scenes in a fraction of a second which would take the PS4 almost a minute in comparison.

Furthermore, PC development is never optimized for the top-end PC GPUs. Sure, top of the line takes advantage of it, but it's in an even worse situation in the sense that the extra power is extremely poorly utilized. The one main advantage consoles have is that this isn't the case unless games are cross-gen. And we have seen that repeatedly, especially with Sony first party setting new benchmarks for visual quality despite more powerful PC GPUs being on the market.

longdi

Banned
tenor.gif

basically this guy ^
Old school sony is best in FUD.

If i had time, i would crow bump the old threads here about 'we care about generations'.
So much FUD when MS honestly communicated about supporting games across their generations.
Goes to show MS is ostracised in neogaf. 🤷‍♀️

I kind of doubt it. Wouldn't they have announced this with all the other games were announced as cross-gen? Seems strange to announce what games were going to be cross-gen, but leave this one out.

We've already seen these type of action games held back by last gen consoles. The first thing they said about the next gen version of DMCV was they're increasing the enemy count citing it wasn't possible before because of last gen consoles and that was even a game made from the ground up for last gen.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well its official then, next gen is over based on what many have said on this very forum. After all, you can't have a true next gen game with a weaker machine dragging it down.

Of course thats total horse crap, but it has to said considering how much mud was slung here that ps5 was "true" next gen and series x wasn't based on it having to support series s.

The game will be amazing regardless of ps4 support.

Last edited:
Top Bottom